Jim Philips | 1 May 01:08 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: OT Interesting statistic

On Monday 30 April 2007 12:02:18 pm Warren Myers wrote:
> so, you skew the average low :P
>
> the rest of us have to walk to the office printers :)
>
> WMM

When at work, I try to walk to the top of our 19 story building every day at 
lunchtime. It almost makes up for the fact that I sit hypnotized in front of 
a screen the rest of the day. ;-) Not only that, it's a great stress-buster.

_______________________________________________
Ale mailing list
Ale@...
http://www.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
Jim Philips | 1 May 01:10 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: OT: ATL Fed Reserve Bank Tour

On Monday 30 April 2007 03:16:49 pm Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Anyone interested in getting an ALE guided tour of the ATL Fed Reserve
> Bank?  If we do it as a formal group, and pre-register, we can get to
> see the robots do their thing in the vault.   Could be quite geeky.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Jim P.

Tell them we want to have a Gimp competition to see who can make the best 
mock-up of their product. Maybe they can judge for us. :p

_______________________________________________
Ale mailing list
Ale@...
http://www.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
David Tomaschik | 1 May 01:16 2007

Re: OT: ATL Fed Reserve Bank Tour

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Anyone interested in getting an ALE guided tour of the ATL Fed Reserve
> Bank?  If we do it as a formal group, and pre-register, we can get to
> see the robots do their thing in the vault.   Could be quite geeky.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Jim P. 
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ale mailing list
> Ale@...
> http://www.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
>   
Sounds interesting.  Anyone know their policy on cameras on the tour?

David
Greg Freemyer | 1 May 01:20 2007
Picon

Re: bash question

Never mind,

I happened into a way to test it.  I had to move the assignment of NOW
after the test of $?, but then it seems to work.

I'll know for sure in a couple of days.  (ie. it is my nightly backup
script and I'm getting plenty of timeouts to do real world testing.
They just take hours per iteration.)

Greg

On 4/30/07, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@...> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm experiencing rsync timeouts, so I want to keep invoking it
> repeatedly until it either finishes or 3 hours have gone by.  When it
> times out the return code is 30.
>
> I'm thinking this might work, but I don't have a great way to test it.
>  So could a couple bash experts review it.  I've tried it and at least
> I don't seem to have any syntax errors.
>
> Also, I tested the for loop logic with a simple sleep and it worked.
> It is the break logic I can't test easily.
>
> ===
> #!/bin/bash
>
> START=`date +%s`
> MAX_TIME='10800'   # number of seconds in 3 hours
(Continue reading)

David Tomaschik | 1 May 01:23 2007

Re: bash question

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm experiencing rsync timeouts, so I want to keep invoking it
> repeatedly until it either finishes or 3 hours have gone by.  When it
> times out the return code is 30.
>
> I'm thinking this might work, but I don't have a great way to test it.
>  So could a couple bash experts review it.  I've tried it and at least
> I don't seem to have any syntax errors.
>
> Also, I tested the for loop logic with a simple sleep and it worked.
> It is the break logic I can't test easily.
>
> ===
> #!/bin/bash
>
> START=`date +%s`
> MAX_TIME='10800'   # number of seconds in 3 hours
>
> for (( DELTA=0 ; DELTA < MAX_TIME; DELTA = NOW - START))
> do
>         rsync -a
> --partial-dir=/home/forensic1000/forensic1000/transfer ... [Lots more
> args]
>         NOW=`date +%s`
>         if [ $? != 30 ]
>         then
>             break;
>         fi
(Continue reading)

Greg Freemyer | 1 May 01:34 2007
Picon

Re: bash question

On 4/30/07, David Tomaschik <ozone@...> wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm experiencing rsync timeouts, so I want to keep invoking it
> > repeatedly until it either finishes or 3 hours have gone by.  When it
> > times out the return code is 30.
> >
> > I'm thinking this might work, but I don't have a great way to test it.
> >  So could a couple bash experts review it.  I've tried it and at least
> > I don't seem to have any syntax errors.
> >
> > Also, I tested the for loop logic with a simple sleep and it worked.
> > It is the break logic I can't test easily.
> >
> > ===
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > START=`date +%s`
> > MAX_TIME='10800'   # number of seconds in 3 hours
> >
> > for (( DELTA=0 ; DELTA < MAX_TIME; DELTA = NOW - START))
> > do
> >         rsync -a
> > --partial-dir=/home/forensic1000/forensic1000/transfer ... [Lots more
> > args]
> >         NOW=`date +%s`
> >         if [ $? != 30 ]
> >         then
> >             break;
(Continue reading)

Jeff Lightner | 1 May 01:33 2007

Re: OT Interesting statistic

I worked in a 17 story building once and one of my coworkers decided to
walk the 17 floors.  Unfortunately he didn't realize all the doors
except the one to the 1st floor lobby were locked.

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces@...
[mailto:ale-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Jim
Philips
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:08 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] OT Interesting statistic

On Monday 30 April 2007 12:02:18 pm Warren Myers wrote:
> so, you skew the average low :P
>
> the rest of us have to walk to the office printers :)
>
> WMM

When at work, I try to walk to the top of our 19 story building every
day at 
lunchtime. It almost makes up for the fact that I sit hypnotized in
front of 
a screen the rest of the day. ;-) Not only that, it's a great
stress-buster.
Scott Castaline | 1 May 03:37 2007
Picon

Re: OT Interesting statistic

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I worked in a 17 story building once and one of my coworkers decided to
> walk the 17 floors.  Unfortunately he didn't realize all the doors
> except the one to the 1st floor lobby were locked.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ale-bounces@...
[mailto:ale-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Jim
> Philips
> Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:08 PM
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
> Subject: Re: [ale] OT Interesting statistic
> 
> On Monday 30 April 2007 12:02:18 pm Warren Myers wrote:
>> so, you skew the average low :P
>>
>> the rest of us have to walk to the office printers :)
>>
>> WMM
> 
> When at work, I try to walk to the top of our 19 story building every
> day at 
> lunchtime. It almost makes up for the fact that I sit hypnotized in
> front of 
> a screen the rest of the day. ;-) Not only that, it's a great
> stress-buster.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ale mailing list
(Continue reading)

cfowler | 1 May 03:33 2007

Re: OT Interesting statistic

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 12:29 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> For the mapping ā€“ perhaps you couldnā€™t be quite as accurate as with
> GPS but it seems you could guestimate fairly well by using a pedometer
> and a compass ā€“ just mark your distance and where you change
> direction.    Nice to know about the trees though.  I like to hike and
> had considered buying a GPS device just because some of the maps
> (especially for Chattahoochee NRA) are confusing as hell or just plain
> inaccurate.

I just bought a Garmin Foretrex 201 off ebay for $61.  It is a wrist
model designed for walking and running. It will do waypoints and has a
compass.  Battery last 15 hours.   I got tired of holding my eXplorist
210

_______________________________________________
Ale mailing list
Ale <at> ale.org
http://www.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale
cfowler | 1 May 04:06 2007

Re: OT Interesting statistic

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 21:33 -0400, cfowler wrote:
> Nice to know about the trees though.  I like to hike and
> > had considered buying a GPS device just because some of the maps
> > (especially for Chattahoochee NRA) are confusing as hell or just
> plain
> > inaccurate. 

Do your research in regards to trees.  I use my eXplorist 210 in DENSE
areas and have had NO issues.  My accuracy may drop to 20ft but 20ft is
still good.

Gmane