Jerome Dominguez | 30 Nov 18:50 2005
Picon

French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

25 November 2005. FSF France press release. Friday November 18th, 2005, French Department of Culture.
SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your licenses." SACEM add: "You shall 
stop publishing free software," and warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who 
will keep on publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents Department"[1] bill 
pass in the Parliament.

URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 

--

-- 
  Traduction philosophie GNU : http://wiki.april.org/TradGnu

  Lorsque la consigne est infame, la desobeissance est un devoir.
  http://www.cafeine.org/blog
Ben Finney | 30 Nov 23:19 2005
Picon

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

On 30-Nov-2005, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
> SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your
> licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
> warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
> publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
> Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.
> 
> URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 

What action can be taken by French citizens? By other people? How soon
must action be taken?

--

-- 
 \       "Don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you |
  `\       free with my breakfast cereal."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox, _The |
_o__)            Restaurant At The End Of The Universe_, Douglas Adams |
Ben Finney <ben@...>
_______________________________________________
Discussion mailing list
Discussion@...
https://mail.fsfeurope.org/mailman/listinfo/discussion
Jerome Dominguez | 30 Nov 23:37 2005
Picon

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:19:41AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 30-Nov-2005, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
> > SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your
> > licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
> > warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
> > publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
> > Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.
> > 
> > URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 
> 
> What action can be taken by French citizens? By other people? How soon
> must action be taken?

I'm afraid that only French citizens can do something. The EUCD.INFO initiative proposes
some actions : http://www.eucd.info/agir 

The EUCD.INFO initiative was launched by FSF France.

--

-- 
  Traduction philosophie GNU : http://wiki.april.org/TradGnu

  Lorsque la consigne est infame, la desobeissance est un devoir.
  http://www.cafeine.org/blog
Alex Hudson | 30 Nov 23:19 2005

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 18:50 +0100, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
> 25 November 2005. FSF France press release. Friday November 18th,
> 2005, French Department of Culture. SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software
> authors: "You shall change your licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop
> publishing free software," and warn they are ready "to sue free
> software authors who will keep on publishing source code" should the
> "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.

Could someone explain exactly what the problem is here?

>From reading the article, I get the impression that the bill seeks to
prevent software accessing media without some form of DRM, which seems a
step beyond the already bad EUCD situation - is that right?

Cheers,

Alex.
miluz | 1 Dec 02:10 2005
Picon

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

Jerome Dominguez a écrit :

>On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:19:41AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>  
>
>>On 30-Nov-2005, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your
>>>licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
>>>warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
>>>publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
>>>Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.
>>>
>>>URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 
>>>      
>>>
>>What action can be taken by French citizens? By other people? How soon
>>must action be taken?
>>    
>>
>
>I'm afraid that only French citizens can do something. The EUCD.INFO initiative proposes some actions :
http://www.eucd.info/agir 
>
>The EUCD.INFO initiative was launched by FSF France.
>
>  
>

(Continue reading)

Jerome Dominguez | 30 Nov 18:31 2005

French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

25 November 2005. FSF France press release. Friday November 18th, 2005, French Department of Culture.
SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your licenses." SACEM add: "You shall 
stop publishing free software," and warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who 
will keep on publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents Department"[1] bill 
pass in the Parliament.

URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 

--

-- 
  Traduction philosophie GNU : http://wiki.april.org/TradGnu

  Lorsque la consigne est infame, la desobeissance est un devoir.
  http://www.cafeine.org/blog
Giuseppe De Francesco | 1 Dec 11:04 2005

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

That's the wrong answer. Is not only up to the French citizen. Is likely 
to tell that the worldwide pressure that Amnesty International does on 
each single HR violation is void, but is not. All of us can do some, 
writing letters to the French Prime Minster AND the French President to 
tell them that they just CAN'T decide that "I'm not free to share my 
knowledge"... this is like to try to control my mind, so is a violation 
of the basic Human Rights... no way! All of us we MUST write them and 
collect undersignatures to the open letter and physically send it to them.

Don't think that this is just a French issue!

Cheers
Pino

Jerome Dominguez wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:19:41AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>  
>
>>On 30-Nov-2005, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your
>>>licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
>>>warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
>>>publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
>>>Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.
>>>
>>>URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 
>>>      
(Continue reading)

Giuseppe De Francesco | 1 Dec 10:15 2005

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

That's the wrong answer. Is not only up to the French citizen. Is likely 
to tell that the worldwide pressure that Amnesty International does on 
each single HR violation is void, but is not. All of us can do some, 
writing letters to the French Prime Minster AND the French President to 
tell them that they just CAN'T decide that "I'm not free to share my 
knowledge"... this is like to try to control my mind, so is a violation 
of the basic Human Rights... no way! All of us we MUST write them and 
collect undersignatures to the open letter and physically send it to them.

Don't think that this is just a French issue!

Cheers
Pino

Jerome Dominguez wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:19:41AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>  
>
>>On 30-Nov-2005, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your
>>>licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
>>>warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
>>>publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
>>>Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.
>>>
>>>URL: http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html 
>>>      
(Continue reading)

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra | 1 Dec 11:29 2005

Re: French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 22:19 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 18:50 +0100, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
> > 25 November 2005. FSF France press release. Friday November 18th,
> > 2005, French Department of Culture. SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software
> > authors: "You shall change your licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop
> > publishing free software," and warn they are ready "to sue free
> > software authors who will keep on publishing source code" should the
> > "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.
> 
> Could someone explain exactly what the problem is here?
> 
> >From reading the article, I get the impression that the bill seeks to
> prevent software accessing media without some form of DRM, which seems a
> step beyond the already bad EUCD situation - is that right?

From what little I understood...

Imagine you use Firefox to download a DRM'ed Windows Media Video file.
Firefox would have to respect the copy prohibition embedded in that .WMV
file, if it doesn't, it would be illegal to use it.

Now imagine Firefox DOES respect the copy prohibition. Since Firefox is
Free Software, it can be modified so it WON'T respect the prohibition.
As such, it would be illegal to use it.

These two situations are an example of what that law would turn illegal.

If you dig to a lower level, maybe the network card driver should
analise the content, I think.

(Continue reading)

C. Grobmeier | 1 Dec 13:23 2005
Picon

Re: Document about Free Software/Open Source

Thank you Frank.
I got
* http://www.deshalbfrei.org/
from another list-reader here. It's interesting, it seems
that germany is quite active with open source.

Frank Koormann wrote:
> Chris,
> 
> * C. Grobmeier <grobmeier@...> [051128 14:55]:
>> as a fan of fs/os i want to see more acceptance for this in my company.
>> I have figured out, that even programmers in my company have lack of
>> knowledge about FS/OS. To change this, i would like to collect 
>> information and write a document about this. Well, i searched amazon
>> and didn't find any book. Google brought billions of hits.
> 
> Since you seem to be located in Germany, have you found already the book
> by Volker Grassmuck (published by the  Bundeszentrale für politische
> Bildung, also downloadable as PDF)
> 
> http://freie-software.bpb.de/
> 
> Regards,
> 
>         Frank
> 

Gmane