Simon Garner | 1 May 02:27 2003
Picon

Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

Hi all,

Has anybody got tracert to work with a Dynalink RTA300?

I always just get:

    Tracing route to xtra.co.nz [202.27.184.102]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      5    41 ms    41 ms    42 ms  202.27.184.102

    Trace complete.

I want to be able to see the hosts in between. I've tried all the
settings on the modem I can think of and nothing helps. Ping works fine.
The firewall is disabled on the modem.

Any ideas?

-Simon

--

-- 
This message is part of the NZ ADSL mailing list. 
see http://unixathome.org/adsl/ for archives, FAQ, 
and various documents. 
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo <at> lists.unixathome.org 
(Continue reading)

Craig Whitmore | 1 May 02:49 2003
Picon

Re: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

Looks like same problem that the speedtouch Pro's have :-(
A windows traceroute will not work (but a linux one will -as windows traces
are done differently)

ICMP NAT translation bug..

Thanks
Craig Whitmore
Orcon Internet

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Garner" <sgarner <at> expio.co.nz>
To: <adsl <at> lists.unixathome.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 12:27 PM
Subject: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

> Hi all,
>
> Has anybody got tracert to work with a Dynalink RTA300?
>
> I always just get:
>
>     Tracing route to xtra.co.nz [202.27.184.102]
>     over a maximum of 30 hops:
>
>       1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
>       2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>       3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>       4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>       5    41 ms    41 ms    42 ms  202.27.184.102
(Continue reading)

Geoff Thornburrow (DSL HN | 1 May 02:56 2003
Picon

RE: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

> I want to be able to see the hosts in between. I've tried all the
> settings on the modem I can think of and nothing helps. Ping 
> works fine.
> The firewall is disabled on the modem.

Devices that decrement the IP Time-to-live field by more than 1 will give
you those blank lines. I know some routers will take 2 off TTL.

- Geoff
--

-- 
This message is part of the NZ ADSL mailing list. 
see http://unixathome.org/adsl/ for archives, FAQ, 
and various documents. 
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo <at> lists.unixathome.org 
with "unsubscribe adsl" in the body of the message 

Regan Murphy | 1 May 03:08 2003
Picon

RE: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

If you are running windows 2000 or windows xp try a "pathping
www.xtra.co.nz" instead.  I'm not sure if it works differently to the
tracert but its worth a shot.

Usage: pathping [-g host-list] [-h maximum_hops] [-i address] [-n]
                [-p period] [-q num_queries] [-w timeout] [-P] [-R] [-T]
                [-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
    -g host-list     Loose source route along host-list.
    -h maximum_hops  Maximum number of hops to search for target.
    -i address       Use the specified source address.
    -n               Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
    -p period        Wait period milliseconds between pings.
    -q num_queries   Number of queries per hop.
    -w timeout       Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.
    -P               Test for RSVP PATH connectivity.
    -R               Test if each hop is RSVP aware.
    -T               Test connectivity to each hop with Layer-2 priority
tags.
    -4               Force using IPv4.
    -6               Force using IPv6.

--
Regan Murphy.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Whitmore [mailto:lennon <at> orcon.net.nz] 
Sent: Thursday, 1 May 2003 12:50 p.m.
To: Simon Garner; adsl <at> lists.unixathome.org
(Continue reading)

David Miles | 1 May 06:31 2003

Re: Paradise ICQ/AOL routing problem update

Everyone that was having this problem (anyone with an IP address between
202.0.56.1-202.0.63.254) on Paradise will be happy to know the problem has
been resolved. The issue was related to how the upstream provider was
advertising these routes, and how that subsequently made them drop in AOL's
network.

-d

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Batterbee" <ian.batterbee <at> aut.ac.nz>
To: <adsl <at> lists.unixathome.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 11:14 AM
Subject: Paradise ICQ/AOL routing problem update

> I've got an update for paradise's ICQ routing problem - at the moment
> telstraclear are working on it with reach.net, and the problem now appears
to
> be with level3.net sending things back the wrong way.
>
> It's suffice to say that this isn't being ignored, and will be fixed, but
the
> logistics involved in getting 3 companies to talk and sort things out mean
that
> it may take a wee while.
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------
> This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/
>
(Continue reading)

Andrew | 1 May 10:22 2003
Picon

Paradise mail delays

While we're on the subject of paradise issues - is anyone else
experiencing slow mail delivery times to their paradise pop3 account? It
seems to take on average between 1-4 hrs for an email sent to me, to
actually arrive in my account. This is from multiple senders from all
over the place, certainly doesn't seem to be originating anywhere else.
About 2 hrs ago I sent myself a few test emails, none of which have
actually arrived in my pop3 as yet. This is just from
smtp.paradise.net.nz to pop3.paradise.net.nz , I wouldn't think it'd
take very long at all.

-Andrew

--

-- 
This message is part of the NZ ADSL mailing list. 
see http://unixathome.org/adsl/ for archives, FAQ, 
and various documents. 
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo <at> lists.unixathome.org 
with "unsubscribe adsl" in the body of the message 

Nathan Legg | 1 May 12:06 2003
Picon

Re: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

This is a known problem.  Response from Dynalink is that an update will
resolve the issue.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Simon Garner" <sgarner <at> expio.co.nz>
To: <adsl <at> lists.unixathome.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 12:27 PM
Subject: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

> Hi all,
>
> Has anybody got tracert to work with a Dynalink RTA300?
>
> I always just get:
>
>     Tracing route to xtra.co.nz [202.27.184.102]
>     over a maximum of 30 hops:
>
>       1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
>       2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>       3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>       4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>       5    41 ms    41 ms    42 ms  202.27.184.102
>
>     Trace complete.
>
> I want to be able to see the hosts in between. I've tried all the
> settings on the modem I can think of and nothing helps. Ping works fine.
> The firewall is disabled on the modem.
>
(Continue reading)

Tom Parker | 1 May 14:27 2003

Re: Tracert with Dynalink RTA300

Simon Garner <sgarner <at> expio.co.nz> wrote:

>      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
>      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>      3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>      4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>      5    41 ms    41 ms    42 ms  202.27.184.102

>I want to be able to see the hosts in between. I've tried all the
>settings on the modem I can think of and nothing helps. Ping works fine.
>The firewall is disabled on the modem.

Some firewalls (my linux one included) drop packets from the reserved host
ranges which arrive on external interfaces. The first few hops inside
telecom's network are in one of the reserved ranges.

I'm not sure how much extra security this provides, it's a pain having your
first few hops time out, but I live with it.

--
Tom Parker - tom <at> carrott.org
           - http://www.carrott.org

--

-- 
This message is part of the NZ ADSL mailing list. 
see http://unixathome.org/adsl/ for archives, FAQ, 
and various documents. 
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo <at> lists.unixathome.org 
with "unsubscribe adsl" in the body of the message 

(Continue reading)

eggtart | 1 May 22:57 2003
Picon

Re: Paradise mail delays

It takes less than a minute for me from smtp.paradise to pop3.paradise. 
Maybe it's an intermittent problem that depends on what time you send 
your emails?

Andrew wrote:
> While we're on the subject of paradise issues - is anyone else
> experiencing slow mail delivery times to their paradise pop3 account? It
> seems to take on average between 1-4 hrs for an email sent to me, to
> actually arrive in my account. This is from multiple senders from all
> over the place, certainly doesn't seem to be originating anywhere else.
> About 2 hrs ago I sent myself a few test emails, none of which have
> actually arrived in my pop3 as yet. This is just from
> smtp.paradise.net.nz to pop3.paradise.net.nz , I wouldn't think it'd
> take very long at all.
> 
> -Andrew
> 

--

-- 
This message is part of the NZ ADSL mailing list. 
see http://unixathome.org/adsl/ for archives, FAQ, 
and various documents. 
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo <at> lists.unixathome.org 
with "unsubscribe adsl" in the body of the message 

Matt Sellar | 2 May 01:08 2003
Picon

DSL500 Setup (firewall)

I notice this router has a firewall/IP filtering section.
Does anyone have any "suggested" setting to put in here?

Matt

--

-- 
This message is part of the NZ ADSL mailing list. 
see http://unixathome.org/adsl/ for archives, FAQ, 
and various documents. 
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo <at> lists.unixathome.org 
with "unsubscribe adsl" in the body of the message 


Gmane