Philip Guenther | 1 Jun 02:28 1996
Picon

Re: Messages get concatenated!

Michael Below <mbelow <at> HRZ.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:
>- I'm trying to get procmail to sort out the messages from a mailinglist.
>I've set up a simple recipe for doing this (I'll add that below), but:
>procmail always escapes the first line of all messages following the first
>one with a >. This line contains something like "From user <at> host Tue May 28
>15:10:53 MES 1996". I think the fact that this line is escaped causes elm 
>(and mailx, too) not to recognize the start of a new message, so all messages 
>are shown as a part of the first one.
>
>So how do I get procmail to behave less intelligent?
>
>- I'm running procmail from a background job, piping the contents of
>/usr/mail/mbelow into it with cat. But procmail even then wants to modify
>the access rights of my /usr/mail/mbelow from 660 to 600 or something like
>that (640?).
>That makes the mail daemon not able to deliver new mail -- I guess that's
>it why I didn't managed to subscribe to this list...
>
>Again, how do I get procmail to behave less intelligent?

Procmail expects to see one (1) message on its stdin.  If you want to
filter a mailbox then you'll need to split it using formail's -s flag:

	formail -s procmail < mbelow

As for the second, I can't remember where this is documented in the
manpages (I cheated and looked at the source), but if you sent the
permissions on your mailbox to include any of (it only takes one):
	00100		(user execute)
	04000		(set user id)
(Continue reading)

Philip Guenther | 1 Jun 02:35 1996
Picon

Re: Procmail 3.10 on Solaris 2.3

g9ubof <at> fnma.com (Ben Fofana) writes:
>I have installed procmail on a Solaris 2.3 machine.
>However I can not get it to work.
>When I create a .forward file, no mail gets delivered at all.
>I include my .forward and .procmailrc.
>Any ideas?

The mail is probably bouncing.  Have someone else mail to you while you
have the .forward file in place, then remove it and check with them to
see what the bounce message says.

...
>LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail
...

Why the lockfile?  To quote the procmailrc(5) manpage:

                          ...  The use of a  global  lockfile  is
                 discouraged,  whenever  possible  use locallock-
                 files (on a per recipe basis) instead.

Just put a colon after the zero on each of the recipes.

(NOTE: a simple colon only works for actions that either are simple
 mailboxes (not pipes), or that have ">>" in them.  In both of those
 are false you have to give an explicit lockfile name.  Check you logfile:
 procmail will complain if it thinks something is wrong or missing.)

Philip Guenther

(Continue reading)

Philip Guenther | 1 Jun 02:47 1996
Picon

Re: Dealing with Quota's?

Ed Hill <edhill <at> strobe.weeg.uiowa.edu> writes:
>Currently we have quota's turned off, but we plan on turning them back on
>soon.  What is the expected behavior when procmail can't update a person's
>mail file because he/she is over quota.  Does it die with a hard error and
>bounce back to sender?

<checks the source>

It treats it like any other write error and considers the write as
failing.  If the -t flag was given then it'll exit with EX_TEMPFAIL and
sendmail will requeue it, otherwise it'll exit with EX_CANTCREAT and
sendmail will bounce it.  It *will* spew a little note to stderr
("Quota exceeded while writing") which sendmail should nicely include
in the bounce message.

Of course, you can always catch write errors in your .procmailrc with
the 'w' or 'W' flags:

:0 w:
$DEFAULT

# Hmm, maybe I'm over quota.  Try the fallback in Bob's account on
# the other disk.
:0 w:
/home/users2/bob/freds-stuff/mbox

# Still no soap, forward to my account at the other site.
:0
! me <at> another.site

(Continue reading)

Brock Rozen | 1 Jun 04:08 1996
Picon

Re: Dealing with Quota's?

On Fri, 31 May 1996, Philip Guenther wrote:

> Ed Hill <edhill <at> strobe.weeg.uiowa.edu> writes:
> >Currently we have quota's turned off, but we plan on turning them back on
> >soon.  What is the expected behavior when procmail can't update a person's
> >mail file because he/she is over quota.  Does it die with a hard error and
> >bounce back to sender?
> 
> <checks the source>
> 
> It treats it like any other write error and considers the write as
> failing.  If the -t flag was given then it'll exit with EX_TEMPFAIL and
> sendmail will requeue it, otherwise it'll exit with EX_CANTCREAT and
> sendmail will bounce it.  It *will* spew a little note to stderr
> ("Quota exceeded while writing") which sendmail should nicely include
> in the bounce message.

As just a user, can I specify -t flag in my .forward file?

It is currently:

"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #brozen"

Would I just make it?

"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -t -f- || exit 75 #brozen"

Thanks,

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
(Continue reading)

Ari Hurwitz | 1 Jun 07:21 1996
Picon

Can Procmail do this?

Hi.  I was wondering if procmail has this kind of power.  Can I have 
procmail execute a C program automatically based on the time and day, 
without ever being sent email from anyone?  Thanks in advance.  Ari.

Philip Guenther | 1 Jun 05:29 1996
Picon

Re: Dealing with Quota's?

Brock Rozen <brozen <at> netvoyage.net> writes:
>As just a user, can I specify -t flag in my .forward file?
>
>It is currently:
>
>"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #brozen"
>
>Would I just make it?
>
>"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -t -f- || exit 75 #brozen"

Yep.  Do note the following, quoted from the procmail(1) manpage:

     Beware when using the -t option, if procmail  repeatedly  is
     unable  to  deliver  the  mail  (e.g.  due  to  an incorrect
     rcfile), the system mailqueue could fill up.  This could ag-
     gravate both the local postmaster and other users.

Philip Guenther

Soren Dayton | 1 Jun 06:45 1996

Re: Can Procmail do this?

> Hi.  I was wondering if procmail has this kind of power.  Can I have 
> procmail execute a C program automatically based on the time and day, 
> without ever being sent email from anyone?  Thanks in advance.  Ari.

no.  That is why we have cron

Soren

era eriksson | 1 Jun 12:34 1996
Picon
Picon

TAN: Mail bouncers (was Re: Procmail 3.10 on Solaris 2.3)

On Fri, 31 May 1996 19:35:16 -0500, Philip Guenther <guenther <at> gac.edu>
wrote:
 > g9ubof <at> fnma.com (Ben Fofana) writes:
 >> When I create a .forward file, no mail gets delivered at all.
 > The mail is probably bouncing.  Have someone else mail to you while you
 > have the .forward file in place, then remove it and check with them to
 > see what the bounce message says.

A loooong time ago, I think I remember reading about an address
something like boomerang <at> (somewhere).edu where the "somewhere" likely
has something with MIT to do. This address would merely send back the
mail to the sender.
  This is, of course, easy enough to implement with Procmail. I even
set this up for one person, at my normal University address, for
testing his mail. (Hi, Paul.) I'd set up a global mail bouncer if I
could have a separate address for that, but I was thinking, since this
list is shock full of mail admins, probably it would make sense for
one of you guys to do it.
  Would I be over-optimistic if I assumed that this service is already
implemented at a number of places, and I'm just an ignorant? 
  A list of such servers would be good to have in the FAQ, though. I
don't know where else to look. (I tried Alta Vista and Lycos, but you
can guess what happened: Literally millions of matches, none of which
had anything with this service to do.)

/* era */

To Ben: 
  Why don't you just check directly with SMTP to see what's wrong with
the .forward file:
(Continue reading)

Gumbie | 1 Jun 12:59 1996
Picon
Picon

setting a in procmail thats used by a shell script


   Is there away to set a variable from within procmail so that when a 
shell script gets executed, that variable is available to the shell script?
  I think $ENV may be the answer but the man pages are not clear on it's 
usage...
							Thanks in advance,

  /========================================================================\
  |    ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          Gumbie                           |
  |     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  pepsiman <at> escape.com              |
  |     (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'   http://www.escape.com/~pepsiman  |
  |   _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'           gumbie <at> sunspot.tiac.net          |
  |  (il).-''  (li).'  ((!.-'             http://www.tiac.net/users/gumbie |
   \======================================================================/

Philip Guenther | 1 Jun 18:08 1996
Picon

Re: setting a in procmail thats used by a shell script

Gumbie <gumbie <at> sunspot.tiac.net> writes:
>   Is there away to set a variable from within procmail so that when a 
>shell script gets executed, that variable is available to the shell script?
>  I think $ENV may be the answer but the man pages are not clear on it's 
>usage...

Procmail exports all the variables you set in it to any programs executed
from it.

$ENV sounds like you're thinking of either perl's %ENV associative array
(accessed as $ENV{'variable name'}) or ksh/bash's $ENV for specifying a
file to read during startup.  Don't worry about them.  Just set your
variables in the script, like:

FOO = bar

then use them from the script like any other environment variable.

Philip Guenther


Gmane