Erik De Wael | 1 Sep 02:20 2002
Picon

.mh_sequence

Hello,

I'd like to setup mutt with MH mailboxes (I've already that with another
MUA).

I've set this in the .muttrc :

	mbox= "~/Mail"
	mbox_type = MH

Then I've seen that I must have a .mh_sequence in the mailbox so I did, 

	$touch ~/Mail/.mh_sequence
	$touch ~/Mail/inbox.mh_sequence

When I start mutt, it goes straight to the spoolfile

	-%-Mutt: /var/mail/edw [Msgs:0]---(date/date)

Then I want to switch to another mailbox with the "c", but it does like
with a mbox type.

I don't know what I have to do and I find no precise doc about this.

Thx in advance,

Erik

jkinz | 1 Sep 01:03 2002

Re: spam harvesting

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:04:21AM -0500, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:
> an fyi so yall know it's happening, my email address used exclusively 
> for mutt-users and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i 
> posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.
> 
Hi Aaron,
Sorry you got spammed.

Unfortunately even if this list weren't archived with our email-addresses
intact the list could still be mined for addresses by someone who just 
signed up to the list and listened.

Unless the spammer was a total idiot there would be no way to tell them 
apart anybody else on the list who is just a listener.

Since there is now way to tell the innocent from the guilty there
would is no way to stop it.

I use procmail and it stops most of the spam using RBLS lists.

There are some "relatively" new schemes out there which, if widely adopted
will actually put a virtual stop to spam.  My favorite for "best technical
solution" is called "Camram".  

http://www.camram.org

My favorite for "Most gratifying solution" is to find the 
SOB's and <description of various extreme acts deleted> 'em.

Unfortunately that's probably illegal.  Too bad.
(Continue reading)

Michael Tatge | 1 Sep 01:05 2002
Picon

Re: Attachments MIME- or UUencoded

Andre Berger (uzscd5 <at> uni-bonn.de) muttered:
> * Sven Guckes <guckes <at> math.fu-berlin.de>, 2002-08-31 18:20 -0400:
> > * Andre Berger <uzscd5 <at> uni-bonn.de> [2002-08-31 17:50]:
> > 
> > you guys from Bonndorf never seize to amaze me.
> 
> It's "Bonn", Germany

Why do I get the feeling that you're missing something here?

> > > My PDA (Psion S3a, from 1994) understands UU- or MIME-encoded
> > > attachments. How can I send such attachments with mutt?

You're not asking how to send mime-encoded messages with mutt, are you?

Michael
--

-- 
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.
(Arno Schaefer's .sig)

PGP-Key: http://www-stud.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~tatgeml/public.key

jkinz | 1 Sep 01:09 2002

Re: Attachments MIME- or UUencoded

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 06:23:31PM -0400, Andre Berger wrote:
> * Sven Guckes <guckes <at> math.fu-berlin.de>, 2002-08-31 18:20 -0400:
> > * Andre Berger <uzscd5 <at> uni-bonn.de> [2002-08-31 17:50]:
> > > My PDA (Psion S3a, from 1994) understands UU- or MIME-encoded
> > > attachments. How can I send such attachments with mutt?
> > 
> > you guys from Bonndorf never seize to amaze me.
> 
> It's "Bonn", Germany
> 
> > you are not aiming to become a politican, are you?
> 
> Do you have anything useful to say?
> 
> -Andre

Hi Andre,

I'm a little confused which is not unusual.  :)

Are you running Linux on a PDA ?  

Or are you using your PDA as a Linux terminal somehow?

--

-- 
Jeff Kinz, Director, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "jkinz <at> ultranet.com" 
copyright 1995-2002.  Use restricted to non-UCE uses. Any other use is an 
acceptance of the offer at http://www.ultranet.com/~jkinz/policy.html.
"jkinz <at> rcn.com" copyright 2002.  Use is restricted. Any use is an 
acceptance of the offer at http://users.rcn.com/jkinz/policy.html.
(Continue reading)

Will Yardley | 1 Sep 01:31 2002
Picon

Re: spam harvesting

jkinz <at> rcn.com wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:04:21AM -0500, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:

> > an fyi so yall know it's happening, my email address used exclusively 
> > for mutt-users and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i 
> > posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.

> Unfortunately even if this list weren't archived with our email-addresses
> intact the list could still be mined for addresses by someone who just 
> signed up to the list and listened.
> 
> Unless the spammer was a total idiot there would be no way to tell them 
> apart anybody else on the list who is just a listener.

Yes, but it's much less likely to happen... a spammer would have to go
to a lot of effort (comparatively) to sign up for a list like this...
and spamming a list of largely technical people would be dumb anyway.

It's much more likely for addresses to get harvested from a list
archive, since a crawler will find them.

--

-- 
Will Yardley
input: william <  <at>  hq . newdream . net . >

jkinz | 1 Sep 01:44 2002

Re: spam harvesting

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 04:31:54PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> jkinz <at> rcn.com wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:04:21AM -0500, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:
> 
> > > an fyi so yall know it's happening, my email address used exclusively 
> > > for mutt-users and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i 
> > > posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.
> 
> > Unfortunately even if this list weren't archived with our email-addresses
> > intact the list could still be mined for addresses by someone who just 
> > signed up to the list and listened.
> > 
> > Unless the spammer was a total idiot there would be no way to tell them 
> > apart anybody else on the list who is just a listener.
> 
> Yes, but it's much less likely to happen... a spammer would have to go
> to a lot of effort (comparatively) to sign up for a list like this...
> and spamming a list of largely technical people would be dumb anyway.
> 
> It's much more likely for addresses to get harvested from a list
> archive, since a crawler will find them.

Hi Will, nice to hear from you.
Yes, you're quite right, a crawler harvesting from the archive is more likely
than a harvesting "listener".

My point was that in the long run it makes no difference. Even if email
addresses are obscured in the archive the spammers can still harvest from 
the list.

(Continue reading)

Jeremy Blosser | 1 Sep 01:50 2002

Re: spam harvesting

On Aug 31, Sven Guckes [guckes <at> math.fu-berlin.de] wrote:
> * Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-mutt <at> firinn.org> [2002-08-31 18:46]:
> > On Aug 31, Aaron Goldblatt [lists-mutt <at> goldblatt.net] wrote:
> > > ..  my email address used exclusively for mutt-users
> > > and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i
> > > posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.
> >
> > Blame the people that are archiving this list
> > on the web without obfuscating the addresses.
> 
> no - blame the spammers!
> 
> making information unusable for serious use just
> because of people misuing it is a step backwards.

Hint: putting your hands over your eyes and saying "you can't see me!" does
not, in fact, make you invisible.

Put your real address online all you want.  They will see you, and your
mail servers will scream.
Michael Herman | 1 Sep 02:05 2002

Re: .mh_sequence

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 02:20:18AM +0200, Erik De Wael wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'd like to setup mutt with MH mailboxes (I've already that with another
>MUA).
>
>I've set this in the .muttrc :
>
>	mbox= "~/Mail"
>	mbox_type = MH
>
>Then I've seen that I must have a .mh_sequence in the mailbox so I did, 
>
>	$touch ~/Mail/.mh_sequence
>	$touch ~/Mail/inbox.mh_sequence

inbox should be a directory under Mail in MH format.  Therefore, it
should be touch ~/Mail/inbox/.mh_sequence

>
>When I start mutt, it goes straight to the spoolfile
>
>	-%-Mutt: /var/mail/edw [Msgs:0]---(date/date)
>
>Then I want to switch to another mailbox with the "c", but it does like
>with a mbox type.

You need to define all of your mailboxes in your .muttrc with the
mailboxes command. 

(Continue reading)

Jeremy Blosser | 1 Sep 02:25 2002

Re: spam harvesting

On Sep 01, Cameron Simpson [cs <at> zip.com.au] wrote:
> On 13:44 31 Aug 2002, Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-mutt <at> firinn.org> wrote:
> | On Aug 31, Aaron Goldblatt [lists-mutt <at> goldblatt.net] wrote:
> | > an fyi so yall know it's happening, my email address used exclusively 
> | > for mutt-users and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i 
> | > posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.
> | 
> | Blame the people that are archiving this list on the web without
> | obfuscating the addresses.
> 
> Feh. If the addresses are mechanically munged, and decodable by humans
> reading the archive, then the munging can be undone by address harvesters.
> And since they don;t care about 100% accuracy, they only have to get it
> mostly right.

Anything they have to do is more cost for them, and means less of them are
able to do it.  And they aren't known for being bright, either.  (At some
point, for example, they appear to have determined that addresses of the
form 'foo-bar <at> domain.com' are munged forms of 'bar <at> domain.com', which is
completely backwards.)

> Personally, I have long considered hiding from spammers a waste of
> effort. A laudable ideal perhaps, but futile. Install spamassassin or
> one of the newer Bayesian filters and cease to hide. You will feel freer.

No, I will feel chained to my mail servers as people take that attitude,
which has the nice effect of making it so they don't see the spam in their
inbox, but the mail servers still see it and have to not only deal with it
as normal, but also have to deal with the added processing introduced by
determining if each and every message is spam or not, and what to do with
(Continue reading)

Andre Berger | 1 Sep 03:08 2002
Picon

Re: Attachments MIME- or UUencoded

* jkinz <at> rcn.com <jkinz <at> rcn.com>, 2002-08-31 19:11 -0400:
> Hi Andre,
> 
> I'm a little confused which is not unusual.  :)
> 
> Are you running Linux on a PDA ?  
> 
> Or are you using your PDA as a Linux terminal somehow?

Obviously I wasn't clear, so please allow me to try again. I would
like to send attachments from my mutt/Linux to my Psion PsiMail
client in order to synchronize data between these two machines. The
attachments sent from mutt (of course MIME, sorry to all, please hang
on), base64 encoded, cannot be used on the Psion. From asking in the
appropriate newsgroup I've learned that PsiMail understands "MIME and
UUencoded attachments", that's the source of the confusion. So
uuencode remains. Is it possible to uuencode instead of base64-encode
attachments with mutt; and how would it work?

Besides I have to apologize for my short temper, as it was definitely
my responsibility to make myself clear. Sorry, Sven!

-Andre

Gmane