Bill Wohler | 4 Jul 05:07 2006
Picon
Picon

MH-E 8.0.2 released

Project home page at: http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/.

* Changes in MH-E 8.0.2

Version 8.0.2 fixes the tool bar and `F n' on XEmacs, and `K a' on GNU
mailutils.

** Bug Fixes in MH-E 8.0.2

*** Tool Bar Not Displayed in XEmacs

The MH-E tool bar didn't show up in XEmacs; now it does. Thanks to Ted
Phelps <phelps <at> gnusto.com> (closes SF #1506846).

*** mh-mime-save-parts Assumes -store Default

It was assumed that -store was the default for both mhn and mhstore.
This has been fixed by using -store except when using nmh. Thanks to
Sergey Poznyakoff <gray <at> Mirddin.farlep.net> (closes SF #1513140).

*** F-n Doesn't Work

The fix for SF #1499712 broke `F n' (`mh-index-new-messages') on
XEmacs since a regular expression that XEmacs could not handle was
added. This regexp has been fixed (closes SF #1514424).

--

-- 
Bill Wohler <wohler <at> newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD

Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
(Continue reading)

Jeramey Crawford | 30 Jul 07:46 2006
Picon

Sorting header fields on display?

I have read through the fine Info manual for MH-E (which is really
great) and the nmh 1.2 man pages in an attempt to discover if it is
possible to cause header fields to be displayed in a custom, arbitrary
order. Is this possible?

If it isn't, is it a feature that people want? I'd be more than happy to
work on it and supply patches if that is the case.

     Jeramey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Jacob Morzinski | 30 Jul 08:45 2006
Picon

Re: Sorting header fields on display?

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Jeramey Crawford <jeramey <at> antihe.ro> wrote:
> I have read through the fine Info manual for MH-E (which is really
> great) and the nmh 1.2 man pages in an attempt to discover if it is
> possible to cause header fields to be displayed in a custom, arbitrary
> order. Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible.  The basic answer is that you customize the
nmh command-line "show" to put the headers in the order you want,
and then you configure MH-E to filter through command-line "show"
instead of directly reading message data straight from disk.

Since MH-E is shelling out to "show", you need to make sure that
you have "show" customized with your desired header format.
Discovering this on your own requires chasing through a couple
manpages:

- The manpage for "show" mentions that "mhl" is used to format
  non-MIME messages, and that "mhshow" is used to format MIME
  parts.
- The manpage for "mhl" says that "mhl.format" is the default
  format file for old-style messages.
- The manpage for "mhshow" says that "mhl.headers" is the default
  format file for MIME headers.

So you need to customize both "mhl.format" and "mhl.headers",
either in your site-wide `mhparam etcdir` or in your personal
~/Mail dir.

A significant difficulty is that mhl format files have an arcane
syntax.  The manpage for "mh-format" will drive you to tears.
(Continue reading)

Jacob Morzinski | 30 Jul 09:21 2006
Picon

Re: Sorting header fields on display?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Jacob Morzinski <morzinski <at> MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Since MH-E is shelling out to "show"

Hi,

Sorry - playing around with this a little reminded my why I don't
use it any more.  MH-E does not shell out to "show" -- it shells
out to "mhl".  This is fine for pure text/plain messages, but
works badly for messages with MIME parts, or text/not-plain.
(In fact, viewing my message, with its attachments, is a good
example of the limitation of having MH-E call "mhl".)

It would be great if you could figure out how to get MH-E to do
something better, that still respects the mhl.headers file, but
properly handles MIME parts.  The current code is in the function
mh-display-msg in mh-utiles.el.

 -Jacob

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Bill Wohler | 30 Jul 19:06 2006
Picon
Picon

Bill Wohler: Re: MH-E: problem with MM_CHARSET and charset in send mail

I don't have time to dig into this for a while. Does anyone on this list
happen to have a ready answer?

Picon Picon
From: Bill Wohler <wohler <at> olgas.newt.com>
Subject: Re: MH-E: problem with MM_CHARSET and charset in send mail
Date: 2006-07-27 00:47:55 GMT
Aleksander Matuszak <max <at> amber.from.cx> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it is my fault or mh-e behaviour, but this is important
> for me. In my country (Poland) we use iso-8859-2 charset. According to
> mh-e manual I set shell variable MM_CHARSET to that value. 
> 
> After composing (simple textual with polish letters) message I just
> press C-c C-c, but in mime headers appeares iso-8859-1 instead of
> iso-8859-2.

That must be annoying. I don't readily have the answer to this, although
I should, and it should be in the manual.

It appears that you should be able to set message-default-charset, but
it's not working for me. I'm looking into the function mml-to-mime in
gnus/mml.el (which adds the Content-Type header) . I've got to leave
(Continue reading)

Bill Wohler | 30 Jul 20:10 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: Sorting header fields on display?

Jacob Morzinski <morzinski <at> MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Once command-line "show" has headers in the order you want, you
> need to turn on the MH-E flag that tells MH-E to use the "show"
> command.  If you are using the default mhl files named above, you
> can simple set the variable "mhl-formfile" to a value of "'t":
> 
>   (setq mhl-formfile 't)

As of 8.0, you need to customize the variable mh-mhl-format-file:

  mh-mhl-format-file: Use Default mhl Format (Printing Only)

  Specifies the format file to pass to the "mhl" program.

  Normally MH-E takes care of displaying messages itself (rather than
  calling an MH program to do the work). If you'd rather have "mhl"
  display the message (within MH-E), change this option from its default
  value of "Use Default mhl Format (Printing Only)".

  You can set this option to "Use Default mhl Format" to get the same
  output as you would get if you ran "mhl" from the shell.

  If you have a format file that you want MH-E to use, you can set this
  option to "Specify an mhl Format File" and enter the name of your
  format file. Your format file should specify a non-zero value for
  "overflowoffset" to allow MH-E to parse the header. Note that
  "mhl" is always used for printing and forwarding; in this case, the
  value of this option is consulted if you have specified a format
  file.
(Continue reading)

Jeramey Crawford | 31 Jul 00:31 2006
Picon

Re: Sorting header fields on display?

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Jacob Morzinski <morzinski <at> MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > Since MH-E is shelling out to "show"
> 
> Sorry - playing around with this a little reminded my why I don't
> use it any more.  MH-E does not shell out to "show" -- it shells
> out to "mhl".  This is fine for pure text/plain messages, but
> works badly for messages with MIME parts, or text/not-plain.
> (In fact, viewing my message, with its attachments, is a good
> example of the limitation of having MH-E call "mhl".)
> 
> It would be great if you could figure out how to get MH-E to do
> something better, that still respects the mhl.headers file, but
> properly handles MIME parts.  The current code is in the function
> mh-display-msg in mh-utiles.el.

Thanks for the input! I'll look into the matter a bit and I'll let the
list know what I come up with.

     Jeramey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
Jeramey Crawford | 31 Jul 00:37 2006
Picon

Re: Bill Wohler: Re: MH-E: problem with MM_CHARSET and charset in send mail

> I don't have time to dig into this for a while. Does anyone on this list
> happen to have a ready answer?
> 
> Aleksander Matuszak <max <at> amber.from.cx> wrote:
> 
> > I'm not sure if it is my fault or mh-e behaviour, but this is important
> > for me. In my country (Poland) we use iso-8859-2 charset. According to
> > mh-e manual I set shell variable MM_CHARSET to that value. 
> > 
> > After composing (simple textual with polish letters) message I just
> > press C-c C-c, but in mime headers appeares iso-8859-1 instead of
> > iso-8859-2.

I was running into a problem recently with the version of nmh shipped
with Debian Etch (version 1.1-RC4) in relation to MM_CHARSET. In my
case, nmh seemed to always prefer ISO-8859-1 no matter what. Perhaps
this is what you're running into as well?

The solution I ended up with was to uninstall the version of nmh that
Debian provides and to compile and install my own copy of nmh-1.2. Nmh
how recodes properly to UTF-8 as necessary for me.

Hope that helps,

     Jeramey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
(Continue reading)

Bill Wohler | 31 Jul 00:49 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: Bill Wohler: Re: MH-E: problem with MM_CHARSET and charset in send mail

Jeramey Crawford <jeramey <at> antihe.ro> wrote:

> > I don't have time to dig into this for a while. Does anyone on this list
> > happen to have a ready answer?
> > 
> > Aleksander Matuszak <max <at> amber.from.cx> wrote:
> > 
> > > I'm not sure if it is my fault or mh-e behaviour, but this is important
> > > for me. In my country (Poland) we use iso-8859-2 charset. According to
> > > mh-e manual I set shell variable MM_CHARSET to that value. 
> > > 
> > > After composing (simple textual with polish letters) message I just
> > > press C-c C-c, but in mime headers appeares iso-8859-1 instead of
> > > iso-8859-2.
> 
> I was running into a problem recently with the version of nmh shipped
> with Debian Etch (version 1.1-RC4) in relation to MM_CHARSET. In my
> case, nmh seemed to always prefer ISO-8859-1 no matter what. Perhaps
> this is what you're running into as well?
> 
> The solution I ended up with was to uninstall the version of nmh that
> Debian provides and to compile and install my own copy of nmh-1.2. Nmh
> how recodes properly to UTF-8 as necessary for me.

Interesting. I'm using nmh on etch as well. This bug might affect you if
you're not using MH-E, or if you have mh-compose-insertion set to MH.

However, if mh-compose-insertion is set to the default (MML), the
charset is getting set by the mml-to-mime Emacs function, well before
nmh has a chance to munge it.
(Continue reading)

Aleksander Matuszak | 31 Jul 01:16 2006

Re: Bill Wohler: Re: MH-E: problem with MM_CHARSET and charset in send mail

Jeramey Crawford writes:

> > I don't have time to dig into this for a while. Does anyone on this list
> > happen to have a ready answer?
> > 
> > Aleksander Matuszak  wrote:
> > 
> > > I'm not sure if it is my fault or mh-e behaviour, but this is important
> > > for me. In my country (Poland) we use iso-8859-2 charset. According to
> > > mh-e manual I set shell variable MM_CHARSET to that value. 
> > > 
> > > After composing (simple textual with polish letters) message I just
> > > press C-c C-c, but in mime headers appeares iso-8859-1 instead of
> > > iso-8859-2.
> 
> I was running into a problem recently with the version of nmh shipped
> with Debian Etch (version 1.1-RC4) in relation to MM_CHARSET. In my
> case, nmh seemed to always prefer ISO-8859-1 no matter what. Perhaps
> this is what you're running into as well?
> 

Thank you for your reply, but I'm afraid that this is not the case. 
I am using Debian sarge v. 3.1 with nmh v. 1.1 but any message sent directly
from within nhm (without emacs) gets correct headers. This reply is composed
by standard repl command and you can examine headers.

   Aleksander 'max' Matuszak

BTW. Meanwhile I've subscribed to mh-e-users so there is no need to make
copy to me.
(Continue reading)


Gmane