Mike Kupfer | 2 Sep 19:50 2004
Picon

refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

I've finally upgraded from MH-E 5 to MH-E 7 at work.  Overall, it's been
a very pleasant experience.  Kudos to the development team.

I have noticed one intermittent problem.  I have

  refile: -normmproc
  rmmproc: rmmer

in my .mh_profile.  My rmmer is a slightly modified version of one that
Jerry Peek posted back in the 1990's.

Now, suppose I'm cruising through +inbox, and I mark a few messages for
deletion and a few for refiling to folder +foo (not necessarily in that
order).  When I hit "x", I sometimes get an error like

  refile: message 55 doesn't exist

I instrumented my rmmer script, which is supposed to just refile the
deleted message(s) to +deleted.  rmmer reports that the current folder
is not +inbox, it's +foo.  This doesn't happen all the time, so I've
been slow to track down the problem.  This never happened with MH-E 5,
so I suspect an MH-E problem, not a problem with rmmer.  Any
suggestions?

thanks,
mike

Satyaki Das | 2 Sep 20:38 2004
Face
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Mike Kupfer <mike.kupfer <at> sun.com> writes:

> I have noticed one intermittent problem.  I have
> 
>   refile: -normmproc
>   rmmproc: rmmer
> 
> in my .mh_profile.  My rmmer is a slightly modified version of one that
> Jerry Peek posted back in the 1990's.
> 
> Now, suppose I'm cruising through +inbox, and I mark a few messages for
> deletion and a few for refiling to folder +foo (not necessarily in that
> order).  When I hit "x", I sometimes get an error like
> 
>   refile: message 55 doesn't exist
> 
> I instrumented my rmmer script, which is supposed to just refile the
> deleted message(s) to +deleted.  rmmer reports that the current folder
> is not +inbox, it's +foo.  This doesn't happen all the time, so I've
> been slow to track down the problem.  This never happened with MH-E 5,
> so I suspect an MH-E problem, not a problem with rmmer.  Any
> suggestions?

I actually use something similar and my rmmproc script is as
follows:

#!/bin/bash
refile -normmproc -unlink +trash "$ <at> "

I haven't seen the problem you are seeing. But I use MH-E almost
(Continue reading)

Kevin Layer | 2 Sep 20:49 2004
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

I've not been able to pin it down, but I've seen the same problem
occassionally, too.  I have a rmmproc, as well.  Mine is:

#! /bin/sh

fromfolder="`folder -fast`"

case "$fromfolder" in
trash|inbox-junk)
	rm -f $*
	;;
*)
	refile -normmproc -src +$fromfolder +trash $*
	;;
esac

Bill Wohler | 4 Sep 19:41 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Mike Kupfer <mike.kupfer <at> sun.com> wrote:

> I instrumented my rmmer script, which is supposed to just refile the
> deleted message(s) to +deleted.  rmmer reports that the current folder
> is not +inbox, it's +foo.  This doesn't happen all the time, so I've
> been slow to track down the problem.  This never happened with MH-E 5,
> so I suspect an MH-E problem, not a problem with rmmer.  Any
> suggestions?

I wonder if setting you MHCONTEXT environment variable to some other
file in your rmmer will keep MH-E and your rmmer script from stepping on
each others toes, folderly speaking.

--

-- 
Bill Wohler <wohler <at> newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and MH-E. Vote Libertarian!
If you're passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane.

Satyaki Das | 5 Sep 00:33 2004
Face
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Bill Wohler <wohler <at> newt.com> writes:

> I wonder if setting you MHCONTEXT environment variable to some other
> file in your rmmer will keep MH-E and your rmmer script from stepping on
> each others toes, folderly speaking.

I don't know about Mike's rmmer script since I haven't looked at
it, but the problem would still persist for Kevin even after he
sets MHECONTEXT to something else (unless it is set to something
unique in each invocation).

So I suspect that the change I checked in to serialize all the
mark commands is needed.  I don't think it will adversely affect
the speed of MH-E since mark itself is quite fast (at least for
me).

Satyaki 

Mike Kupfer | 5 Sep 02:34 2004
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Satyaki Das <satyaki <at> chicory.stanford.edu> wrote:

> So I suspect that the change I checked in to serialize all the
> mark commands is needed.

Ah, that sounds like it could well be the issue.  Come to think of it, I
recently set mh-refile-preserves-sequences-flag to nil, and I don't
*think* I've seen the problem since then.

If I wanted to get a patch for the serialization change, what would be
the easiest way to get it?  And was the change in response to a filed
bug?  (I'm thinking about making mh-refile-preserves-sequences-flag
default to nil for the Solaris Companion CD, and it would be helpful if
I could refer to a SourceForge trouble ticket number in the comments.)

thanks,
mike

Bill Wohler | 7 Sep 00:27 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Mike Kupfer <kupfer <at> athyra.eng.sun.com> wrote:

> If I wanted to get a patch for the serialization change, what would be
> the easiest way to get it?

Mike,

1. Check out the CVS version of MH-E per the instructions in
   https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=13357. Use src for the
   'modulename'.

2. Run the following commands:

   cvs diff -r1.393 -r1.396 mh-e.el
   cvs diff -r1.163 -r1.164 mh-seq.el

If SourceForge used Subversion, you wouldn't have to check out the files
first ;-).

>                             And was the change in response to a filed
> bug?  (I'm thinking about making mh-refile-preserves-sequences-flag
> default to nil for the Solaris Companion CD, and it would be helpful if
> I could refer to a SourceForge trouble ticket number in the comments.)

No, because you didn't file one ;-).

We would appreciate it if you could. Then we could note it in our
release notes as well.

I'm not sure you really want to introduce changes in the Companion CD.
(Continue reading)

Mike Kupfer | 7 Sep 03:59 2004
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Bill Wohler <wohler <at> newt.com> wrote:

> Mike Kupfer <kupfer <at> athyra.eng.sun.com> wrote:
> 
> 1. Check out the CVS version of MH-E per the instructions in
>    https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=13357. Use src for the
>    'modulename'.
> 
> 2. Run the following commands:
[...]

Okay, thanks.

> >                             And was the change in response to a filed
> > bug?  (I'm thinking about making mh-refile-preserves-sequences-flag
> > default to nil for the Solaris Companion CD, and it would be helpful if
> > I could refer to a SourceForge trouble ticket number in the comments.)
> 
> No, because you didn't file one ;-).
> 
> We would appreciate it if you could. Then we could note it in our
> release notes as well.

Okay, I'll see if I can get to it later this week.

> I'm not sure you really want to introduce changes in the Companion CD.
> It would best to make the fixes upstream so that everyone wins. 

Of course, making the change upstream is the best thing in the long
run.  But I don't have a huge amount of time between now and the
(Continue reading)

Mike Kupfer | 7 Sep 22:24 2004
Picon

Re: refile sometimes pulls from wrong folder

Bill Wohler <wohler <at> newt.com> wrote:

> >                             And was the change in response to a filed
> > bug?

> No, because you didn't file one ;-).
> 
> We would appreciate it if you could. Then we could note it in our
> release notes as well.

Okay, done: 1023959.

mike

Davor Cubranic | 15 Sep 01:09 2004
Picon
Picon

Mime: MH-E does not listen to .mh_profile handlers

I have set up "xpdf" as my external handler for PDF attachments in MH,
which works fine from the command line. However, MH-E uses "ggv" when I
middle-click on PDF attachments in the show buffer. Is there a different
way to configure attachment handlers?

Davor


Gmane