Thomas Andrews | 1 Dec 10:37 2009
Picon

web interface permissions ?

Hi,

On a newly installed mailman setup, the "Submit All Data" button has no 
effect in the page "Tend to pending moderator requests". It doesn't 
matter if I select 'Accept' 'Reject' or 'Discard', the effect is the 
same - nothing.

On other admin pages I can do anything I want - add users, change 
defaults, etc, etc...

I'm wondering if this is a permissions issue?

I've checked /var/log/apache/* and /var/log/mailman/* plus the usual 
syslog files for errors, and I can't see anything obviously wrong.

This is pretty much a standard debian install with two lists: one 
'mailman' list and another.

I'm using mailman with Exim and had to make some small changes as 
suggested in the docs to get it to work, and the SMTP side of it seems 
to be perfectly fine - I just can't do things like discarding messages 
from non-members.

dpkg -l mailman gives me this:

ii  mailman  1:2.1.12-3     Powerful, web-based mailing list manager

Running "check_perms" gives me lots of permissions errors, but it was 
like that before I touched any of the config files, so I'm wondering if 
anyone else has had to fix this problem to get the mailman deb to work 
(Continue reading)

Kristo | 1 Dec 04:32 2009

Sig file impossible to download

Hi,

I get an error when trying to download
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/mailman-2.1.12.tgz.sig
it says the source file cant be read...

so I cant check the signature...
Is it an issue?
Thanks a lot,

Chris

Mark Sapiro | 1 Dec 17:09 2009
Picon

Re: Sig file impossible to download

Kristo wrote:
>
>I get an error when trying to download
>http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/mailman-2.1.12.tgz.sig
>it says the source file cant be read...
>
>so I cant check the signature...
>Is it an issue?

There is some problem retrieving these sigs from gnu.org via http. It
may be a browser issue or a web server issue at ftp.gnu.org.

In a quick test,I was unable to download the above URL with several
browsers, but I was able to successfully get it with Opera 10.10 and
also from the command line with both wget and curl.

I was also able to successfully get it with the failing browsers from
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/mailman-2.1.12.tgz.sig>

Finally, although no longer listed on the download page at
www.list.org, it is available at
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailman/files/>.

--

-- 
Mark Sapiro <mark <at> msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

Mark Sapiro | 1 Dec 17:21 2009
Picon

Re: web interface permissions ?

Thomas Andrews wrote:
>
>On a newly installed mailman setup, the "Submit All Data" button has no 
>effect in the page "Tend to pending moderator requests". It doesn't 
>matter if I select 'Accept' 'Reject' or 'Discard', the effect is the 
>same - nothing.
>
>On other admin pages I can do anything I want - add users, change 
>defaults, etc, etc...
>
>I'm wondering if this is a permissions issue?

Possibly, but not too likely.

>I've checked /var/log/apache/* and /var/log/mailman/* plus the usual 
>syslog files for errors, and I can't see anything obviously wrong.
>
>This is pretty much a standard debian install with two lists: one 
>'mailman' list and another.
>
>I'm using mailman with Exim and had to make some small changes as 
>suggested in the docs to get it to work, and the SMTP side of it seems 
>to be perfectly fine - I just can't do things like discarding messages 
>from non-members.
>
>dpkg -l mailman gives me this:
>
>ii  mailman  1:2.1.12-3     Powerful, web-based mailing list manager
>
>Running "check_perms" gives me lots of permissions errors, but it was 
(Continue reading)

Adam McGreggor | 1 Dec 17:37 2009
Picon

Re: web interface permissions ?

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:21:27AM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> You should run 'check_perms -f' as root until the problems are fixed,
> but there is one caveat. I think the Debian package installs a number
> of symlinks and check_perms doesn't do well with symlinks. It checks
> the ownership and mode of the symlink itself and finds a problem. It
> then tries to fix the problem, but this fixes the target, not the
> symlink. So, it will continue to report problems with the permissions
> of the symlink even though there are really no problems.

It does. I keep meaning to write a patch to fix that, as it annoys me
quite a lot.

The symlinks are part of making the package adhere to Debian Policy,
istr.

One of the PPA packagers is onlist (although maybe the dev list), ISTR. 

--

-- 
``What the bloody hell is the point of 24-hour rolling news
  if it doesn't carry terrifying-lizard-related news?''
  (Anthony Wells, on learning from the web that `a giant
  lizard is terrorising Beirut')

Cameron Smith | 1 Dec 18:16 2009
Picon

Using CLI to admin

I am tasked with removing a mailman list using CLI on a cpanel install.

When I run the list_lists command in bin I get this:

# python list_lists
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "list_lists", line 44, in ?
    import paths
ImportError: No module named paths

How can I get a list of the lists to then proceed to using rmlist?

Thank you,
Cameron

Mark Sapiro | 1 Dec 19:11 2009
Picon

Re: Using CLI to admin

Cameron Smith wrote:

>I am tasked with removing a mailman list using CLI on a cpanel install.
>
>When I run the list_lists command in bin I get this:
>
># python list_lists
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "list_lists", line 44, in ?
>    import paths
>ImportError: No module named paths

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>.

Assuming that FAQ is correct about where things are located and cPanel
hasn't broken things too badly, try

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/list_lists

If that is what you ran, then there is no
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/paths.py file. That file needs
to be there for any of the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/
commands to run. If it isn't there, there might be one in
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron which you could copy to
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/

--

-- 
Mark Sapiro <mark <at> msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

(Continue reading)

Cameron Smith | 1 Dec 19:20 2009
Picon

Re: Using CLI to admin

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark <at> msapiro.net> wrote:
> Cameron Smith wrote:
>
>>I am tasked with removing a mailman list using CLI on a cpanel install.
>>
>>When I run the list_lists command in bin I get this:
>>
>># python list_lists
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "list_lists", line 44, in ?
>>    import paths
>>ImportError: No module named paths
>
>
> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9>.
>
> Assuming that FAQ is correct about where things are located and cPanel
> hasn't broken things too badly, try
>
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/list_lists
>
> If that is what you ran, then there is no
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/paths.py file. That file needs
> to be there for any of the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/
> commands to run. If it isn't there, there might be one in
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron which you could copy to
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <mark <at> msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
(Continue reading)

Thomas Andrews | 1 Dec 20:46 2009
Picon

Re: web interface permissions ?

Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Thomas Andrews wrote:
>> On a newly installed mailman setup, the "Submit All Data" button has no 
>> effect in the page "Tend to pending moderator requests". It doesn't 
>> matter if I select 'Accept' 'Reject' or 'Discard', the effect is the 
>> same - nothing.

> What happens when you click the "Submit All Data" button? does it
> reload the same page or what?

Yes, it was

> If you look at the page source, what is the action url in the form tag?
> Is it correct? Is it something that the web server redirects? Is it
> the same as that on the admin pages except for 'admindb' instead of
> 'admin'?

This gave me the solution. The action url was referring to http://... 
but I had apache configured to redirect http to https using

     Redirect 301 / https://bla

Mailman of course didn't know this so it didn't use https://

First I fixed it by turning off the Redirect, and then I re-enabled 
Redirect and changed mm_cfg.py's setting of DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN. I had 
to run this command for it to take effect:

    /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url
(Continue reading)

Jay Deiman | 1 Dec 23:16 2009

Re: Footer not being appended to messages in 2.1.10

Jay Deiman wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> I've been running mailman 2.1.10 on FreeBSD 6.2 for quite some time now 
> and I just recently noticed that the default footer (msg_footer) is not 
> being appended to all the messages.  Is there something else that needs 
> to be set/enabled to turn this on?  I've searched for this problem and 
> I've found nothing so I'm kind of assuming that I'm missing a setting 
> somewhere.

I figured out what was going on here.  This was due to my still using 
the deprecated "Sendmail" DELIVERY_MODULE.  I switched to "SMTPDirect" 
and everything is peachy now.

On a related note, is there any plan to possibly fix/rewrite the 
Sendmail module.  The reason I was using it in the first place is 
because it was much easier in terms of integration with my system since 
using the sendmail binary for outgoing mail bypasses all the post-queue 
content filtering and such that goes on on my server.

On the flipside, setting up SMTPDirect with postfix was just a matter of 
adding an smtpd entry in master.cf that only listens on localhost and 
just permits.  However, it would still be nice to *realistically* have 
an option.

Jay

--

-- 
Jay Deiman

(Continue reading)


Gmane