Thomas Braun | 6 May 14:54 2008
Picon

Catchall split on two smtphost

Hello List,

i searched the web, but cant find the config for this scenario:

We have one catch-all pop3 accout but two exchange servers.
Some users are at the first and other at the second exchange, cause we
are in a migration process.
Is there a way to fetch mails from this account and have more
then one "to" and "smtphost" lines ?

Like
poll fac.com with proto pop3
user catchall <at> fac.com there with password secret
	to foo <at> fac.com smtphost 10.0.0.1
	to bar <at> fac.com smtphost 10.0.0.1
	to * smtphost 10.0.0.2

Thanks and Best Regards,
Thomas
Rob MacGregor | 6 May 15:27 2008
Picon

Re: Catchall split on two smtphost

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Thomas Braun <tbraun <at> solunix.de> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
>  i searched the web, but cant find the config for this scenario:
>
>  We have one catch-all pop3 accout but two exchange servers.
>  Some users are at the first and other at the second exchange, cause we
>  are in a migration process.
>  Is there a way to fetch mails from this account and have more
>  then one "to" and "smtphost" lines ?

In short, no.

What you would need to do is embed this logic into your SMTP server
(I'd suggest the new one) such that it handles the business logic.

--

-- 
 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
 Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he
 doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche
Augusto Bortoluzzi | 8 May 14:20 2008
Picon

How to to redirect user-related error messages to Postmaster

Hello,

I would like to know how to configure fetchmail in order to redirect
error messages to Postmaster instead to deliver it to the involved user.

For example a remote mail server doesn't give a reply to fetchmail for a
few minutes, so fetchmail sends an error notification to the user, which
it could be fine. But some users get scared to death when they receive
such a plain message:

From: FETCHMAIL-DAEMON <at> localmachine.localdomain
Subject: fetchmail authentication failed on user <at> address.com

   Fetchmail could not get mail from user <at> address.com <at> mail.address.com.
   [...]
   The fetchmail daemon will continue running and attempt to connect
   at each cycle.  No future notifications will be sent until service
   is restored.
   -- 
   The Fetchmail Daemon

I have fetchmail running like a charm in daemon mode, with a unique
fetmailrc config file:

   set logfile /var/log/fetchmail.log
   set postmaster "postmaster"
   set no bouncemail
   set no spambounce
   set no syslog
   set daemon        60
(Continue reading)

Matthias Andree | 11 May 20:15 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: How to to redirect user-related error messages to Postmaster

Augusto Bortoluzzi schrieb am 2008-05-08:

> I would like to know how to configure fetchmail in order to redirect
> error messages to Postmaster instead to deliver it to the involved user.
> 
> For example a remote mail server doesn't give a reply to fetchmail for a
> few minutes, so fetchmail sends an error notification to the user, which
> it could be fine. But some users get scared to death when they receive
> such a plain message:
> 
> From: FETCHMAIL-DAEMON <at> localmachine.localdomain
> Subject: fetchmail authentication failed on user <at> address.com
> 
>    Fetchmail could not get mail from user <at> address.com <at> mail.address.com.
>    [...]
>    The fetchmail daemon will continue running and attempt to connect
>    at each cycle.  No future notifications will be sent until service
>    is restored.
>    -- 
>    The Fetchmail Daemon

...

> I've searched through the FAQ and documentation, but I don't how to
> solve this. Tanks in advance for your kind reply.

Hi Augusto,

fetchmail does not have such a feature. The warning is only sent to
postmaster if fetchmail is running in multidrop mode - unfortunately,
(Continue reading)

Sean Roulet | 13 May 10:44 2008
Picon

Fetchmail sporadic socket errors

I have been using fetchmail successfully for more than 3 years.

We recently moved to a new mail host due to our old mail host's  
inability to handle spam correctly.

Unfortunately we found that the usual use of fetchmail had problems.   
I'm trying to narrow down whether this is a server setting or my own  
configuration of fetchmail.

Mails will download with no problems, and then suddenly an email box  
will begin having socket disconnections.  the following mailbox will  
be polled and mails downloaded successfully.

The situation will remain for this mailbox for several hours (and the  
mails will pile up).  Suddenly the dowloading will work, and all  
mails will be downloaded from that mailbox. with the problem now  
occurring on another mail box that had no issues before.

The log entries are as follows.

May 13 16:36:28 marlin fetchmail[2861]: reading message  
user <at> foobar.com <at> pop.foobar.com:9 of 40 (103512 octets) (log message  
incomplete)
May 13 16:36:28 marlin fetchmail[2861]: socket error while fetching  
from user <at> foobar.com <at> pop.foobar.com\n
May 13 16:36:28 marlin fetchmail[2861]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)\n

The mail host is using CentOS, I am using Mac OS X Tiger.

The settings are as follows:
(Continue reading)

Rob MacGregor | 13 May 12:23 2008
Picon

Re: Fetchmail sporadic socket errors

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Sean Roulet <seanroulet <at> mac.com> wrote:
> I have been using fetchmail successfully for more than 3 years.
>
>  We recently moved to a new mail host due to our old mail host's
>  inability to handle spam correctly.
>
>  Unfortunately we found that the usual use of fetchmail had problems.
>  I'm trying to narrow down whether this is a server setting or my own
>  configuration of fetchmail.

I'd say that it's almost certain that your problem is related to
network or remote server problems - see the list archive for a few
dozen threads on the subject ;)

>  Mails will download with no problems, and then suddenly an email box
>  will begin having socket disconnections.  the following mailbox will
>  be polled and mails downloaded successfully.
>
>  The situation will remain for this mailbox for several hours (and the
>  mails will pile up).  Suddenly the dowloading will work, and all
>  mails will be downloaded from that mailbox. with the problem now
>  occurring on another mail box that had no issues before.
>
>  The log entries are as follows.
>
>  May 13 16:36:28 marlin fetchmail[2861]: reading message
>  user <at> foobar.com <at> pop.foobar.com:9 of 40 (103512 octets) (log message
>  incomplete)
>  May 13 16:36:28 marlin fetchmail[2861]: socket error while fetching
>  from user <at> foobar.com <at> pop.foobar.com\n
(Continue reading)

Boxhorn-EDV | Yonym Bang | 16 May 13:47 2008

Fetchmail Problem : oversized messages notification will not be sent to the sender but to user(the receiver)


Hello List,

With these '--limit  [sizeofmail]  -limitflush' options the oversized
emails will not be delivered to users but be deleted, and the user get
an information that a mail was deletet, but no information about the
sender. So the user doesn´t have a chance to know where the mail came
from.  

My question : Is there any possibility to send this notification back to
the original sender, so that the sender could notice that his mail was
oversized and not delivered?

In the actual situation the sender believes that the mail was delivered
and the recipient knows there has been one message deleted but can´t
inform the sender because he doesn´t know who it was.

If we don´t limit the size of the mails we can only trust in the mail
server administrator remote to limit the size of the mail or if we limit
and don´t delete the message remains on the server and get downloaded
over and over.

Why in general doesn´t fetchmail just get the mail from the server,
flush it, tries to deliver to the MTA, then when fetchmail gets a
negative respond (like message is oversized) generate a nondelivery mail
with the answer from the MTA and then  deletes or quarantines the
original mail?

Best Regards,

(Continue reading)

Matthias Andree | 16 May 18:20 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Fetchmail Problem : oversized messages notification will not be sent to the sender but to user(the receiver)

Boxhorn-EDV | Yonym Bang schrieb am 2008-05-16:

> My question : Is there any possibility to send this notification back to
> the original sender, so that the sender could notice that his mail was
> oversized and not delivered?

I don't mean to extend the delayed bounces issues by adding more
messages to be returned to sender, quite the opposite. We can certainly
discuss whether to fetch a truncated version or just headers or provide
some details in a later version, and deliver these to the final
recipient, but not to the sender.

> In the actual situation the sender believes that the mail was delivered
> and the recipient knows there has been one message deleted but can´t
> inform the sender because he doesn´t know who it was.

That's indeed a problem.

> Why in general doesn´t fetchmail just get the mail from the server,
> flush it, tries to deliver to the MTA, then when fetchmail gets a
> negative respond (like message is oversized) generate a nondelivery mail
> with the answer from the MTA and then  deletes or quarantines the
> original mail?

fetchmail should generate as few messages by itself as possible. Leaving
the message on a server and sending a warning to the local site is
probably an option for POP3+UIDL, but not currently for IMAP, for lack
of UID support (patches pending but incomplete), and without
--limitflush, fetchmail is nearly there.

(Continue reading)

Pratap Subrahmanyam | 19 May 16:47 2008
Picon

Fetching mail repeatedly but without duplication.

Folks,
I'm having a small issue that I need to workaround.

All my mail arrives and resides in an MS Exchange 2007 mail box. I then use
fetchmail to get it from there, via IMAP4, send it through procmail to have
it filtered into folders etc, and then read it via mutt. It all works mostly
just fine and I like my setup a lot.

Recently, due to some IT screwup, all the mail that I had incrementally
fetched over the last few years have been lost. Thankfully, I left all my
mail on the server!

Now, I have about 61K emails on the server :-(

I decided to do a "fetchmail -ak". But, it has failed the last 7 attempts,
some time after the low teen thousandth email, once after 13K once after 17K
emails etc. And it takes a long time to do this. Each time it fails, I "rm
-rf ~/Mail/inbox" and try again. But, it seems to me there has to be a
better way. Each time the error is some socket failure. I totally believe
this is probably a flaky mail server problem and has nothing to do with
fetchmail itself. Still, I need to find a way around it.

Here are some specific questions:

a) is there a way I can tell fetchmail to fetch emails numbered 1 - 1000,
then 1001 - 2000 etc? The chances that there will be a socket error while
bringing in a 1000 emails is, let's see, about 60 times smaller than if I
asked it to fetch 60000 emails. I like those kind of odds.

b) Ask fetchmail to retry without having it fetch the same mail repeatedly?
(Continue reading)

Matthias Andree | 19 May 18:39 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Fetching mail repeatedly but without duplication.

Pratap Subrahmanyam schrieb:
> Folks,
> I'm having a small issue that I need to workaround.
> 
> All my mail arrives and resides in an MS Exchange 2007 mail box. I then use
> fetchmail to get it from there, via IMAP4, send it through procmail to have
> it filtered into folders etc, and then read it via mutt. It all works mostly
> just fine and I like my setup a lot.
> 
> Recently, due to some IT screwup, all the mail that I had incrementally
> fetched over the last few years have been lost. Thankfully, I left all my
> mail on the server!
> 
> Now, I have about 61K emails on the server :-(
> 
> I decided to do a "fetchmail -ak". But, it has failed the last 7 attempts,
> some time after the low teen thousandth email, once after 13K once after 17K
> emails etc. And it takes a long time to do this. Each time it fails, I "rm
> -rf ~/Mail/inbox" and try again. But, it seems to me there has to be a
> better way. Each time the error is some socket failure. I totally believe
> this is probably a flaky mail server problem and has nothing to do with
> fetchmail itself. Still, I need to find a way around it.
> 
> Here are some specific questions:
> 
> a) is there a way I can tell fetchmail to fetch emails numbered 1 - 1000,
> then 1001 - 2000 etc? The chances that there will be a socket error while
> bringing in a 1000 emails is, let's see, about 60 times smaller than if I
> asked it to fetch 60000 emails. I like those kind of odds.

(Continue reading)


Gmane