Alan Munday | 1 Nov 17:59 2004

Hanging when there are a large number of recipients....


I'm seeing mail get stuck for a client where they are included as 1 of
around 300 recipients.

There seems to be a threshold above which Fetchmail has difficulty in
processing the mail.

Does anyone have any more info or a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Alan
Rob MacGregor | 1 Nov 18:46 2004
Picon

Re: Hanging when there are a large number of recipients....

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:59:04 -0000, Alan Munday
<fetchmail <at> brightheadtechnology.com> wrote:
> 
> I'm seeing mail get stuck for a client where they are included as 1 of
> around 300 recipients.
> 
> There seems to be a threshold above which Fetchmail has difficulty in
> processing the mail.
> 
> Does anyone have any more info or a solution to this problem?

Without you providing some information, nobody will be able to help.

For a start, the version of fetchmail, contents of your .fetchmailrc
(remembering to replace usernames/passwords) and details of the OS.

--

-- 
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor
      Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he 
        doesn't become a monster.                  Friedrich Nietzsche
Payal Rathod | 2 Nov 05:24 2004

multifrop mails

Hi,
I am trying out fetchmail on a test machine. example.com is a test domain
on local network where Plesk software is installed by a friend.

I have fetchmail 6.2.5+RPA+NTLM+SDPS+SSL+NLS on Linux with qmail. My multidrop
fetchmailrc is,
defaults no envelope no dns
set invisible
set no spambounce
set no bouncemail
set postmaster tata

poll mail.example.com with proto POP3
user "catchall" with password "xxxxxxxx" is
info
sales
*
here

But all the mails even to info <at> example.com are delivered to user tata 
(postmaster).
In headers it looks like,
Delivered-To: tata <at> localhost
Delivered-To: 1-catchall <at> example.com
Delivered-To: 1-info <at> example.com
From: spammaster <spamtest <at> spamme.com>
To: info <at> example.com
Subject: Make movements
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:45:35 -0500
X-Fetchmail-Warning: recipient address info <at> example.com didn't match any local
(Continue reading)

Carl | 2 Nov 16:15 2004
Picon

Re: multifrop mails

At 23:24 01/11/2004 -0500, Payal Rathod wrote:
>Hi,
>I am trying out fetchmail on a test machine. example.com is a test domain
>on local network where Plesk software is installed by a friend.
>
>I have fetchmail 6.2.5+RPA+NTLM+SDPS+SSL+NLS on Linux with qmail. My multidrop
>fetchmailrc is,
>defaults no envelope no dns
>set invisible
>set no spambounce
>set no bouncemail
>set postmaster tata
>
>poll mail.example.com with proto POP3
>user "catchall" with password "xxxxxxxx" is
>info
>sales
>*
>here
>
>But all the mails even to info <at> example.com are delivered to user tata 
>(postmaster).
>In headers it looks like,
>Delivered-To: tata <at> localhost
>Delivered-To: 1-catchall <at> example.com
>Delivered-To: 1-info <at> example.com
>From: spammaster <spamtest <at> spamme.com>
>To: info <at> example.com
>Subject: Make movements
>Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:45:35 -0500
(Continue reading)

Payal Rathod | 2 Nov 06:40 2004

Re: multifrop mails

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 03:15:41PM +0000, Carl wrote:
> Sounds like the local mta (qmail) is not accepting example.com as a local domain
> or the user info is invalid.
> 
> Have you tried sending a mail locally to info <at> example.com ?

Yes it is accepting mails.
No problems in sending to info <at> example.com

With warm regards,
-Payal
Rob MacGregor | 2 Nov 21:13 2004
Picon

Re: multifrop mails

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:24:34 -0500, Payal Rathod
<payal-fetchmail <at> scriptkitchen.com> wrote:
> 
> What is wrong here?
> Can someone help please.

Try telling fetchmail that example.com is a local domain.

--

-- 
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor
      Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he 
        doesn't become a monster.                  Friedrich Nietzsche
Payal Rathod | 3 Nov 04:07 2004

Re: multifrop mails

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:13:48PM +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> Try telling fetchmail that example.com is a local domain.

I tried that too. After the poll ... line I added a line
localdomains example.com localhost

Still it did not work. Now instead of all "other" mails delivered to
set postmaster tata
they are delivered to the local catchall account on my system.
i.e. ~alias/.qmail-default

What am I missing here?

With warm regards,
-Payal
Rob MacGregor | 3 Nov 08:37 2004
Picon

Re: multifrop mails

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:07:35 -0500, Payal Rathod
<payal-fetchmail <at> scriptkitchen.com> wrote:
> What am I missing here?

Well, we'll try the simple things first.

First off - RTFM!  For multi-drop you MUST define the delivered-to header.

Secondly, try just "to * here", then alias 1-info to info (as if you
read the headers that's what it's delivering to).

--

-- 
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor
      Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he 
        doesn't become a monster.                  Friedrich Nietzsche
Payal Rathod | 3 Nov 08:59 2004

Re: multifrop mails

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:37:51AM +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> Well, we'll try the simple things first.

Ok.

> First off - RTFM!  For multi-drop you MUST define the delivered-to header.

hmm, 
user "catchall" with password "X" is
*
here dropdelivered

Right? Mails which do not have any user are not delivered to 
postmaster tata account but to the account defined in ~alias/.qmail-default

> Secondly, try just "to * here", then alias 1-info to info (as if you
> read the headers that's what it's delivering to).

Aliasing was not needed. Mails are delivered to info and sales etc accounts
The problem remains only of only those mails which are not been delivered
to a specific account. As I said earlier they are not delivred to tata user.
Also, offtrack I saw a line as,
fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers
fetchmail: line: ----100020930795817
 not flushed
in my logs. Wonder what it is.

With warm regards,
-Payal
(Continue reading)

Rob MacGregor | 3 Nov 09:09 2004
Picon

Re: multifrop mails

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 02:59:23 -0500, Payal Rathod
<payal-fetchmail <at> scriptkitchen.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:37:51AM +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> > First off - RTFM!  For multi-drop you MUST define the delivered-to header.
> 
> hmm,
> user "catchall" with password "X" is
> *
> here dropdelivered

No - go read the section on the man page that talks about multidrop. 
Heck, search the mailing list archives even.  You must define the
header that contains the real delivery information.  This may be
Envelope-to, Delivered-to (as in your case) or anything else (or
missing).

> Right? Mails which do not have any user are not delivered to
> postmaster tata account but to the account defined in ~alias/.qmail-default

That's partly down to how you configure qmail, which I've never used.

> Also, offtrack I saw a line as,
> fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers
> fetchmail: line: ----100020930795817
>  not flushed
> in my logs. Wonder what it is.

Search the list archive, it's been discussed before.

--

-- 
(Continue reading)


Gmane