Dale Alspach | 3 May 16:40 2004

stop loading

Is there anyway to add a stop loading button to the bar for the current
message? Some of these html messages which have graphics hang exmh while it
waits for the graphics file. Another possibility would be to set a timeout
threshold somewhere.

Dale Alspach
Hal DeVore | 3 May 19:44 2004
Picon

Re: stop loading

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40:54 -0500, Dale Alspach
<alspach <at> math.okstate.edu> wrote:
> 
> Is there anyway to add a stop loading button to the bar for the current
> message? Some of these html messages which have graphics hang exmh while it
> waits for the graphics file. 

Um... there already is a "stop" button that comes up when a message
takes a long time to display.

> Another possibility would be to set a timeout
> threshold somewhere.

Good idea!  If you code it up be sure to post it here!

--Hal
J C Lawrence | 3 May 20:05 2004
X-Face
Picon
Picon
Picon

Re: stop loading

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40:54 -0500 
Dale Alspach <alspach <at> math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> Is there anyway to add a stop loading button to the bar for the
> current message? Some of these html messages which have graphics hang
> exmh while it waits for the graphics file. Another possibility would
> be to set a timeout threshold somewhere.

Set exmh to use an HTTP proxy which doesn't exist (eg something on
localhost).  That way the requests are rejected almost immediately.

--

-- 
J C Lawrence
---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
claw <at> kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/  Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
Hal DeVore | 3 May 20:40 2004
Picon

Re: stop loading

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:05:20 -0400, J C Lawrence <claw <at> kanga.nu> wrote:
> 
> Set exmh to use an HTTP proxy which doesn't exist (eg something on
> localhost).  That way the requests are rejected almost immediately.

By all means.  If what you want, Dale, is to NOT see the graphics,
this is a hack to do that.

--Hal
Don Koch | 3 May 20:43 2004

Re: stop loading

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40:54 -0500 
Dale Alspach <alspach <at> math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> Is there anyway to add a stop loading button to the bar for the
> current message? Some of these html messages which have graphics hang
> exmh while it waits for the graphics file. Another possibility would
> be to set a timeout threshold somewhere.

claw <at> kanga.nu said:
> Set exmh to use an HTTP proxy which doesn't exist (eg something on
> localhost).  That way the requests are rejected almost immediately. 

In that case, why not just set the "Html Viewer" preference "Enable
display of in-line images" to "off"?

--

-- 
Don Koch
http://www.krl.com/
Hal DeVore | 4 May 00:33 2004
Picon

Re: stop loading


>>>>> On Mon, 3 May 2004, "Don" == Don Koch wrote:

  Don> In that case, why not just set the "Html Viewer"
  Don> preference "Enable display of in-line images" to "off"?

Um... no reason.  For images.  Using the "invalid proxy hack" 
will stop exmh from fetching anything that's not in the message. 
[mumbles to self in confusion] Seems like there are other things 
it would block...

--Hal
Don Koch | 4 May 02:07 2004

Re: stop loading


haldevore <at> acm.org said:
> Um... no reason.  For images.  Using the "invalid proxy hack"  will stop exmh
> from fetching anything that's not in the message.  [mumbles to self in
> confusion] Seems like there are other things  it would block... 

That would get around a, uh, bug I ran across some time back where, even
though "Enable display of in-line images" was set to "no", if someone
sent an html section with frames, they would still load.  So, the
"invalid proxy hack" should "fix" that problem...

-d
J C Lawrence | 4 May 06:57 2004
X-Face
Picon
Picon
Picon

Re: stop loading

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:43:04 -0400 
Don Koch <aardvark <at> krl.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40:54 -0500 Dale Alspach
> <alspach <at> math.okstate.edu> wrote:
> claw <at> kanga.nu said:

>> Set exmh to use an HTTP proxy which doesn't exist (eg something on
>> localhost).  That way the requests are rejected almost immediately.

> In that case, why not just set the "Html Viewer" preference "Enable
> display of in-line images" to "off"?

> -- Don Koch http://www.krl.com/

Because some images are MIME-attached to the message and I want those
displayed.  What I don't want are potential web bugs retrieved from
remote servers.

--

-- 
J C Lawrence
---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
claw <at> kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/  Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
Don Koch | 4 May 15:05 2004

Re: stop loading

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:43:04 -0400 
Don Koch <aardvark <at> krl.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40:54 -0500 Dale Alspach
> <alspach <at> math.okstate.edu> wrote:
> claw <at> kanga.nu said:

>> Set exmh to use an HTTP proxy which doesn't exist (eg something on
>> localhost).  That way the requests are rejected almost immediately.

> In that case, why not just set the "Html Viewer" preference "Enable
> display of in-line images" to "off"?

> -- Don Koch http://www.krl.com/

claw <at> kanga.nu said:
> Because some images are MIME-attached to the message and I want those
> displayed.  What I don't want are potential web bugs retrieved from remote
> servers. 

MIME attachment still display.  This setting is only for HTML.  I have
mine set to off and someone mailed me 4 photos the other day and those
showed up (albeit in separate windows).

-d
J C Lawrence | 4 May 16:22 2004
X-Face
Picon
Picon
Picon

Re: stop loading

On Tue, 04 May 2004 09:05:40 -0400 
Don Koch <aardvark <at> krl.com> wrote:
> claw <at> kanga.nu said:

>> Because some images are MIME-attached to the message and I want those
>> displayed.  What I don't want are potential web bugs retrieved from
>> remote servers.

> MIME attachment still display.  This setting is only for HTML.  I have
> mine set to off and someone mailed me 4 photos the other day and those
> showed up (albeit in separate windows).

HTML messages can refer to attachments in the same message.  The image
files don't have to be remote.

--

-- 
J C Lawrence
---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
claw <at> kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/  Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.

Gmane