Jeroen van Aart | 1 Apr 02:18 2009
Picon

Re: Adding company disclaimer to outbound mail

Conrad Lawes wrote:
> Can anyone point me to instructions on how to append a company disclaimer on
> all outbound mail?

Sure: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

--

-- 
## List details at http://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users 
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/

W B Hacker | 1 Apr 10:58 2009

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> How can I reject mail for a couple of users, say:
> 
> user <at> example.com
> other <at> somedomain.tld
> 
> ?
> 
> 

"users" ? = as in your own local / virtual accounts?

Simply remove the account, ELSE temporarily flag as inactive or 
over-quota, or not 'paid up' and test for such a flag.

"Far-end destination addressee"?

or combinations of

selected remote <==> selected local/virtual

...is also possible, but needs DB or list matching, which may be 
asymmetrically mapped (one:one, one:many, many:one, many:many).

- and/or combined with other conditionals, such as 'Subject:', type of 
attachment, time-of-day, .... MUA or OS used to compose the message ....

No limits, really. I've got a rule somewhere that rejects anything 
coming off a Winbox...

(Continue reading)

Tomasz Chmielewski | 1 Apr 11:16 2009

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

W B Hacker schrieb:

> "Far-end destination addressee"?
> 
> or combinations of
> 
> selected remote <==> selected local/virtual
> 
> ...is also possible, but needs DB or list matching, which may be 
> asymmetrically mapped (one:one, one:many, many:one, many:many).
> 
> - and/or combined with other conditionals, such as 'Subject:', type of 
> attachment, time-of-day, .... MUA or OS used to compose the message ....
> 
> No limits, really. I've got a rule somewhere that rejects anything 
> coming off a Winbox...
> 
> Which do you seek?

I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, i.e.:

- Exim accepts user <at> example.com
- delivers it to server_2 for user_changed <at> somedomain.tld

Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist, 
spam etc.). This means Exim will send a non-delivery report to the 
original sender. A bit too late, isn't it?

This causes lots of trouble:
- non-delivery reports get to false users (in case of rejected spam/viruses)
(Continue reading)

Peter Bowyer | 1 Apr 11:21 2009

Re: reject mail for user <at> example.com?

2009/3/31 Tomasz Chmielewski <tch <at> wpkg.org>:
> How can I reject mail for a couple of users, say:
>
> user <at> example.com
> other <at> somedomain.tld

Trivially, in your RCPT acl:

deny recipients = user <at> example.com : other <at> somedomain.tld

Much more complexity available, see section 40 of the documentation.

Peter

-- 
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter <at> bowyer.org
Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/peeebeee

--

-- 
## List details at http://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users 
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/

Picon

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, i.e.:
> - Exim accepts user <at> example.com
> - delivers it to server_2 for user_changed <at> somedomain.tld
> Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist, 
> spam etc.). 

That happens everyday, and the only one annoyed is the one into the "From:"
If you intend to block on "From:" you really get the risk to encounter 
false positive, seeing the quantitiy of forged "From:".

I dont think it's a good idea. Why not passing it through spamassassin 
_before_ fowarding? (I dont know how yet)

-- 
                              Chef de projet chez Vectoris
                                  Phone: +261 33 11 207 36
System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

--

-- 
## List details at http://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users 
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/

Peter Bowyer | 1 Apr 11:40 2009

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

2009/4/1 Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo <at> wpkg.org>:
> W B Hacker schrieb:
>
>
>> "Far-end destination addressee"?
>>
>> or combinations of
>>
>> selected remote <==> selected local/virtual
>>
>> ...is also possible, but needs DB or list matching, which may be
>> asymmetrically mapped (one:one, one:many, many:one, many:many).
>>
>> - and/or combined with other conditionals, such as 'Subject:', type of
>> attachment, time-of-day, .... MUA or OS used to compose the message ....
>>
>> No limits, really. I've got a rule somewhere that rejects anything
>> coming off a Winbox...
>>
>> Which do you seek?
>
> I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, i.e.:
>
> - Exim accepts user <at> example.com
> - delivers it to server_2 for user_changed <at> somedomain.tld
>
> Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist,
> spam etc.). This means Exim will send a non-delivery report to the
> original sender. A bit too late, isn't it?
>
(Continue reading)

Tomasz Chmielewski | 1 Apr 11:45 2009

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, i.e.:
>> - Exim accepts user <at> example.com
>> - delivers it to server_2 for user_changed <at> somedomain.tld
>> Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist, 
>> spam etc.). 
> 
> That happens everyday, and the only one annoyed is the one into the "From:"
> If you intend to block on "From:" you really get the risk to encounter 
> false positive, seeing the quantitiy of forged "From:".

No, I want to block on "To:".

> I dont think it's a good idea. Why not passing it through spamassassin 
> _before_ fowarding? (I dont know how yet)

Because it doesn't solve the non-existing users on the other side problem.

-- 
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

--

-- 
## List details at http://lists.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users 
## Exim details at http://www.exim.org/
## Please use the Wiki with this list - http://wiki.exim.org/

Tomasz Chmielewski | 1 Apr 11:50 2009

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

Peter Bowyer schrieb:

>> This causes lots of trouble:
>> - non-delivery reports get to false users (in case of rejected spam/viruses)
>> - we send unnecessary non-delivery reports for non-existing users; it
>> should be cut off as soon as someone connects to Exim
>>
>>
>> I know the proper way to do it would be to have an up-to-date list of
>> existing users on the Exim box for all "remote users", but it's not
>> always possible.
> 
> That's a great use case for Exim's recipient callout verification. As
> long as the destination server rejects unknown recipients at SMTP
> time, your Exim will 'learn' (ie cache) which users are valid and
> which are not and reject invalid users.

This sounds good, I'll read about it.

> If mail is getting rejected at the destination for spam, you 'just'
> need to make sure that your own spam filtering is equally or more
> strict than the destination.

True.

-- 
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

W B Hacker | 1 Apr 17:43 2009

Re: *Suspect* Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> W B Hacker schrieb:
> 
> 
>> "Far-end destination addressee"?
>>
>> or combinations of
>>
>> selected remote <==> selected local/virtual
>>
>> ...is also possible, but needs DB or list matching, which may be 
>> asymmetrically mapped (one:one, one:many, many:one, many:many).
>>
>> - and/or combined with other conditionals, such as 'Subject:', type of 
>> attachment, time-of-day, .... MUA or OS used to compose the message ....
>>
>> No limits, really. I've got a rule somewhere that rejects anything 
>> coming off a Winbox...
>>
>> Which do you seek?
> 
> I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, 
> i.e.:
> 
> - Exim accepts user <at> example.com
> - delivers it to server_2 for user_changed <at> somedomain.tld
> 
> Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist, 
> spam etc.). This means Exim will send a non-delivery report to the 
> original sender. A bit too late, isn't it?
(Continue reading)

W B Hacker | 1 Apr 17:57 2009

Re: *Suspect* reject mail for user <at> example.com?

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I have an Exim box which forwards certain addresses to another server, i.e.:
>> - Exim accepts user <at> example.com
>> - delivers it to server_2 for user_changed <at> somedomain.tld
>> Now, server_2 rejects this mail for some reason (user does not exist, 
>> spam etc.). 
> 
> That happens everyday, and the only one annoyed is the one into the "From:"
> If you intend to block on "From:" you really get the risk to encounter 
> false positive, seeing the quantitiy of forged "From:".
> 
> I dont think it's a good idea. Why not passing it through spamassassin 
> _before_ fowarding? (I dont know how yet)
> 

Providing you are calling SA in the DATA phase, not 'post queue' that is 
automagical. Ditto ClamAV and sputniks.

The forwarding doesn't happen until router/transports are entered, and 
even there one could do post-smtp-session filtering before local or 
remote delivery.

IF/AS/WHEN one needs to avoid potentially instrusive filtering AND NOT 
risk upsetting the destination *server*, there are ways to 'warp' the 
entire message and headers,

EG:

- 'print' the incoming message and headers to a .pdf file, send the file 
(Continue reading)


Gmane