Paavo Parkkinen | 8 Nov 02:21 2008
Picon
Picon

Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with
qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:

Enter..Ok.
Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
 0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
[0d] LOS0> 0
Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T
Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.
[0d] LOS0>

Only thing I can think of that's changed is, I installed the new
version of Ubuntu recently. Any idea what might have changed or if I'm
maybe missing something?

p

Paavo Parkkinen | 8 Nov 12:59 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

2008/11/7 Andreas Davour <ante <at> update.uu.se>:
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Paavo Parkkinen wrote:
>
>> I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with
>> qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:
>>
>> Enter..Ok.
>> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
>> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> 0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> [0d] LOS0> 0
>> Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T
>> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.
>> [0d] LOS0>
>>
>> Only thing I can think of that's changed is, I installed the new
>> version of Ubuntu recently. Any idea what might have changed or if I'm
>> maybe missing something?
>
> I don't think I can help out, but interesting information nevertheless would
> be if this is from cvs or the git repository and when did you check out?

First time I got the Warnings with a pretty old cvs check out. After
that I did a fresh check out and got the same result.

p

(Continue reading)

Paavo Parkkinen | 8 Nov 17:47 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

I did a fresh install into a formatted / and /home. The first time I
tried creating a new image, I did it in a backup of my old home
directory, but the next time was in the fresh home directory with a
fresh movitz check out.

p

2008/11/8 rob levy <r.p.levy <at> gmail.com>:
> This is probably way off, but if you installed the new version of Ubuntu and
> it upgraded SBCL, then you may need to delete stale FASLs.
>
> Rob
>
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Paavo Parkkinen <pparkkin <at> iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> 2008/11/7 Andreas Davour <ante <at> update.uu.se>:
>> > On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Paavo Parkkinen wrote:
>> >
>> >> I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with
>> >> qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:
>> >>
>> >> Enter..Ok.
>> >> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
>> >> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> >> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> >> 0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> >> [0d] LOS0> 0
>> >> Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T
>> >> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> >> Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.
(Continue reading)

rob levy | 8 Nov 17:16 2008
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

This is probably way off, but if you installed the new version of Ubuntu and it upgraded SBCL, then you may need to delete stale FASLs.

Rob

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Paavo Parkkinen <pparkkin <at> iki.fi> wrote:
2008/11/7 Andreas Davour <ante <at> update.uu.se>:
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Paavo Parkkinen wrote:
>
>> I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with
>> qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:
>>
>> Enter..Ok.
>> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
>> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> 0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> [0d] LOS0> 0
>> Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T
>> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.
>> [0d] LOS0>
>>
>> Only thing I can think of that's changed is, I installed the new
>> version of Ubuntu recently. Any idea what might have changed or if I'm
>> maybe missing something?
>
> I don't think I can help out, but interesting information nevertheless would
> be if this is from cvs or the git repository and when did you check out?

First time I got the Warnings with a pretty old cvs check out. After
that I did a fresh check out and got the same result.

p

_______________________________________________
movitz-devel site list
movitz-devel <at> common-lisp.net
http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/movitz-devel

<div>
<p>This is probably way off, but if you installed the new version of Ubuntu and it upgraded SBCL, then you may need to delete stale FASLs.<br><br>Rob<br><br></p>
<div class="gmail_quote">On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Paavo Parkkinen <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:pparkkin <at> iki.fi">pparkkin <at> iki.fi</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">2008/11/7 Andreas Davour &lt;<a href="mailto:ante <at> update.uu.se">ante <at> update.uu.se</a>&gt;:<br><div class="Ih2E3d">&gt; On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Paavo Parkkinen wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with<br>
&gt;&gt; qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Enter..Ok.<br>
&gt;&gt; Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.<br>
&gt;&gt; Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.<br>
&gt;&gt; Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.<br>
&gt;&gt; 0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.<br>
&gt;&gt; [0d] LOS0&gt; 0<br>
&gt;&gt; Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T<br>
&gt;&gt; Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.<br>
&gt;&gt; Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.<br>
&gt;&gt; [0d] LOS0&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Only thing I can think of that's changed is, I installed the new<br>
&gt;&gt; version of Ubuntu recently. Any idea what might have changed or if I'm<br>
&gt;&gt; maybe missing something?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I don't think I can help out, but interesting information nevertheless would<br>
&gt; be if this is from cvs or the git repository and when did you check out?<br><br>
</div>First time I got the Warnings with a pretty old cvs check out. After<br>
that I did a fresh check out and got the same result.<br><div>
<div></div>
<div class="Wj3C7c">
<br>
p<br><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
movitz-devel site list<br><a href="mailto:movitz-devel <at> common-lisp.net">movitz-devel <at> common-lisp.net</a><br><a href="http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/movitz-devel" target="_blank">http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/movitz-devel</a><br>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
</div>
Martin Bealby | 8 Nov 21:39 2008
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

"Paavo Parkkinen" <pparkkin <at> iki.fi> writes:

> I did a fresh install into a formatted / and /home. The first time I
> tried creating a new image, I did it in a backup of my old home
> directory, but the next time was in the fresh home directory with a
> fresh movitz check out.
>
> p
>

I also have this error appearing on my machine, all fasls were
previously removed.

However, the error only appears when I specify a hard disk image.

fails: qemu -no-kqemu -fda los0-image -hda ~/path/to/harddisk.img -boot
a -m 16

works: qemu -no-kqemu -fda los0-image -boot a -m 16

If this helps:

qemu version 0.9.1
sbcl version 1.0.18

Martin

Frode V. Fjeld | 11 Nov 00:00 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

"Paavo Parkkinen" <pparkkin <at> iki.fi> writes:

> I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with
> qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:
>
> Enter..Ok.
> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>  0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
> [0d] LOS0> 0
> Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T
> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
> Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.
> [0d] LOS0>

There is a bootstrapping of CLOS that is initiated quite early in the
boot process, but if some method dispatch is triggered before this
happens, you get the above break. It usually indicates that something
"bad" or too "complex" happened too early in the boot process.

A stack-trace should tell you/us what is triggering the CLOS bootstrap.

--

-- 
Frode V. Fjeld

Paavo Parkkinen | 17 Nov 13:25 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

Here's the backtrace from movitz:

Enter..Ok.
Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
 0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
[0d] LOS0> :bt
 <3 (BREAK "Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.")
 <1 (MUERTE::SIGNAL-SIMPLE SIMPLE-CONDITION NEWLINE NIL)
 <= (SIGNAL NEWLINE)
 <= (X86-PC::TEXTMODE-SCROLL-DOWN)
 <= (X86-PC::TEXTMODE-WRITE-CHAR #\Newline)
 <= (TEXTMODE-CONSOLE MUERTE::STREAM-WRITE-CHAR {ebx unknown})
 <= (MUERTE::%WRITE-CHAR #\Newline #<function TEXTMODE-CONSOLE>)
 <= (WRITE-CHAR #\Newline NIL)
 <= (TERPRI)
 <= (MUERTE::FORMAT-BY-STRING "~&Installing los0-GC with ~D KB.~%" #x0 #x0 NIL)
 <= (FORMAT T "~&Installing los0-GC with ~D KB.~%" #xf706)
 <= (GENESIS)
 <= (MUERTE::|losp/los0.lisp|)
 ...

p

2008/11/10 Frode V. Fjeld <frodef <at> cs.uit.no>:
> "Paavo Parkkinen" <pparkkin <at> iki.fi> writes:
>
>> I compiled and dumped the los0 image with SBCL, and booted it with
>> qemu like I've done many times before, only this time I got this:
>>
>> Enter..Ok.
>> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
>> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>>  0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
>> [0d] LOS0> 0
>> Warning: CLOS was already bootstrapped: T
>> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>> Error: Out of memory. Please take out the garbage.
>> [0d] LOS0>
>
> There is a bootstrapping of CLOS that is initiated quite early in the
> boot process, but if some method dispatch is triggered before this
> happens, you get the above break. It usually indicates that something
> "bad" or too "complex" happened too early in the boot process.
>
> A stack-trace should tell you/us what is triggering the CLOS bootstrap.
>
> --
> Frode V. Fjeld
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> movitz-devel site list
> movitz-devel <at> common-lisp.net
> http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/movitz-devel
>

Frode V. Fjeld | 21 Nov 20:42 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

"Paavo Parkkinen" <pparkkin <at> iki.fi> writes:

> Here's the backtrace from movitz:
>
> Enter..Ok.
> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>  0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
> [0d] LOS0> :bt
>  <3 (BREAK "Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.")
>  <1 (MUERTE::SIGNAL-SIMPLE SIMPLE-CONDITION NEWLINE NIL)
>  <= (SIGNAL NEWLINE)
>  <= (X86-PC::TEXTMODE-SCROLL-DOWN)
>  <= (X86-PC::TEXTMODE-WRITE-CHAR #\Newline)
>  <= (TEXTMODE-CONSOLE MUERTE::STREAM-WRITE-CHAR {ebx unknown})
>  <= (MUERTE::%WRITE-CHAR #\Newline #<function TEXTMODE-CONSOLE>)
>  <= (WRITE-CHAR #\Newline NIL)
>  <= (TERPRI)
>  <= (MUERTE::FORMAT-BY-STRING "~&Installing los0-GC with ~D KB.~%" #x0 #x0 NIL)
>  <= (FORMAT T "~&Installing los0-GC with ~D KB.~%" #xf706)
>  <= (GENESIS)
>  <= (MUERTE::|losp/los0.lisp|)

Right, I've seen this before :-)

What happens is simply that the screen is (attempted) scrolled before
CLOS is bootstrapped. As you can see, I signal a condition when this
happens, and conditions are CLOS instances.

This happens e.g. when the BIOS is unusually verbose, or there's
something else early in the boot sequence that prints too much to the
console.

Obviously this is not a satisfactory state of affairs in general, but
I haven't taken the time to devise a good solution to this problem
yet.

Frode

Tim McKeaveney | 22 Nov 04:23 2008
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

Frode,

>
> Right, I've seen this before :-)
>
> What happens is simply that the screen is (attempted) scrolled before
> CLOS is bootstrapped. As you can see, I signal a condition when this
> happens, and conditions are CLOS instances.
>

Why did you want to signal a condition here?

Regards,
   Timbo

Frode V. Fjeld | 24 Nov 18:35 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

>> What happens is simply that the screen is (attempted) scrolled before
>> CLOS is bootstrapped. As you can see, I signal a condition when this
>> happens, and conditions are CLOS instances.

"Tim McKeaveney" <macoovacany <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Why did you want to signal a condition here?

It's used to e.g. implement the functionality for the :more top-level
command (try e.g. ":more (apropos 'print)).

--

-- 
Frode


Gmane