Andrew Shalit | 4 Jun 02:55 2009

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

I'd be very interested in this as well.  In fact, I'd love a copy of  
MCL 1.0 or 1.1 or something as early as possible to run on MOAS.

On Jun 3, 2009, at 8:44 PM, Wendell xe wrote:

>
> I'd like to try out the legendary MCL environment, but I don't have  
> a Mac and have had no experience with one. I have managed to get  
> installed a Mac-on-a-stick implementation, which uses the Mini vMac  
> emulator to give you a portable Mac System 7.0.1.
>
> http://www.linuxbeacon.com/doku.php/minivmac
>
> Now it seems that all I need is MCL 3.4. Any advice on where to get  
> a copy? Also, possible problems running it on MOAS?
>
> Cheers
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> info-mcl mailing list
> info-mcl@...
> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl
(Continue reading)

Wendell xe | 4 Jun 02:44 2009
Picon

MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?


I'd like to try out the legendary MCL environment, but I don't have a Mac and have had no experience with one. I
have managed to get installed a Mac-on-a-stick implementation, which uses the Mini vMac emulator to give
you a portable Mac System 7.0.1.

http://www.linuxbeacon.com/doku.php/minivmac

Now it seems that all I need is MCL 3.4. Any advice on where to get a copy? Also, possible problems running it on MOAS?

Cheers

      
_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

Paul Wallich | 4 Jun 03:11 2009
Picon

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

Andrew Shalit wrote:
> I'd be very interested in this as well.  In fact, I'd love a copy of  
> MCL 1.0 or 1.1 or something as early as possible to run on MOAS.

I might have my Coral disks somewhere, but even if they still work I 
think that was System 5 or 6...
_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

Ron Garret | 4 Jun 03:25 2009

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

I found these.


_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl
Andrew Shalit | 4 Jun 03:54 2009

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

I just got my hands on the MCL 5.1 distribution, which includes  
2.0.1.  Haven't tried it yet, but will soon...

On Jun 3, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Paul Wallich wrote:

> Andrew Shalit wrote:
>> I'd be very interested in this as well.  In fact, I'd love a copy of
>> MCL 1.0 or 1.1 or something as early as possible to run on MOAS.
>
> I might have my Coral disks somewhere, but even if they still work I
> think that was System 5 or 6...
> _______________________________________________
> info-mcl mailing list
> info-mcl@...
> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

Andrew Shalit | 4 Jun 04:06 2009

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

Wow, that's a blast from the past.  I guess the next question is  
whether you have any way to get the bits off of them!

On Jun 3, 2009, at 9:25 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

> I found these.
>
> <IMG_0017.jpg>
> _______________________________________________
> info-mcl mailing list
> info-mcl@...
> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

Brian Mastenbrook | 4 Jun 04:16 2009
Picon

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

I found my copy of the 4.3 disk. 2.0.1 definitely works. It wasn't  
difficult to set up on OS X, either.

Photographic evidence: http://www.quicksnapper.com/chandler/image/mcl-2-0-1-on-vmac-running-system-7-0-1

I don't know if anything newer will run with only 4MB of RAM. The  
largest blank preformatted disk on the Mini vMac site is 24M, and  
after installing 7.0.1 I didn't even have enough space to extract 3.0.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian@...
http://brian.mastenbrook.net/

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

Ron Garret | 4 Jun 07:12 2009

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

Nope.  But surely USB floppy drives can't be that hard to come by even  
now.

rg

On Jun 3, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Andrew Shalit wrote:

> Wow, that's a blast from the past.  I guess the next question is
> whether you have any way to get the bits off of them!
>
>
> On Jun 3, 2009, at 9:25 PM, Ron Garret wrote:
>
>> I found these.
>>
>> <IMG_0017.jpg>
>> _______________________________________________
>> info-mcl mailing list
>> info-mcl@...
>> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl
>
> _______________________________________________
> info-mcl mailing list
> info-mcl@...
> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl
(Continue reading)

Brian Mastenbrook | 4 Jun 14:16 2009
Picon

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 22:12 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:
> Nope.  But surely USB floppy drives can't be that hard to come by even  
> now.

Don't give up hope, but you might have trouble finding a USB floppy
drive that will read Mac double density disks. I've used drives in the
past that don't seem to like anything but MFM disks. It might be easier
to find someone with an old Mac with a SuperDrive that can make images
for you.
--

-- 
Brian Mastenbrook
brian@...
http://brian.mastenbrook.net/

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl

Ron Garret | 4 Jun 16:40 2009

Re: MCL 3.4 for Mac-on-a-stick?


On Jun 4, 2009, at 5:16 AM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 22:12 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:
>> Nope.  But surely USB floppy drives can't be that hard to come by  
>> even
>> now.
>
> Don't give up hope, but you might have trouble finding a USB floppy
> drive that will read Mac double density disks. I've used drives in the
> past that don't seem to like anything but MFM disks. It might be  
> easier
> to find someone with an old Mac with a SuperDrive that can make images
> for you.

I actually have an old Quadra in the garage, but digging it out and  
setting it up would be a chore.  How badly do people want this?

rg

_______________________________________________
info-mcl mailing list
info-mcl@...
http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/info-mcl


Gmane