Mika Laitio | 1 Nov 15:12 2009

Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

> The goal is to have a VDR device which consumes the „least possible“
> amount of power. I heard that ARM based devices are good for this.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any experiences using ARM based devices?
>
> 1. Since the boards are mostly small one needs to use mostly USB
> devices, doesn’t one?
> 2. Is the performance high enough to playback SDTV? It should.
> 3. What about HDTV?

I have N810 (Arm 2420 Omap) and tested the playback of sdtv with it by 
using the mplayer as a player which connected to VDR streamdev server.
For a while the playback was good but then there were also moments where 
the playback or sounds get scattered.

For fun I was also planning to build the vdr-sxfe for N810 but newer 
finished that one... (I was not able to find prebuild xine-libs and 
friends for Maemo, so I would have needed to build those and couple of 
other dependencies first and I did not had enough time for that)

> 4. Especially the Beagle Board [1][2] was covered a lot in the press.
> But it is not completely free, i. e. the specifications and the
> toolchain is not freely available, is not it [3]? Sorry, if I am wrong
> about this.

Openembedded supports beagleboard among many other targets so you can use 
that to build toolchain, bootable image and applications for the beagleboard.
(See the angstrom distribution for example)

Mika
(Continue reading)

Ostap B | 1 Nov 18:56 2009
Picon

Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client


 <Pine.LNX.4.64.0911011611530.31331 <at> shogun.pilppa.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
MIME-Version: 1.0

> I have N810 (Arm 2420 Omap) and tested the playback of sdtv with it by=20
> using the mplayer as a player which connected to VDR streamdev server.
> For a while the playback was good but then there were also moments where=
=20
> the playback or sounds get scattered.
=A0
Nokia N800 was reported to have inefficient graphics hardware (I assume N81=
0=20
is quite the same) :

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//maemo-developers/2007-March/009133.htm

Probably the recent N900 would be a smoother client for VDR (though it has =
a smaller=20
screen: 3.5' vs. 4.1')
 		 	   		 =20
_________________________________________________________________
Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you=92re up to on=
 Facebook.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/so=
cial-network-basics.aspx?ocid=3DPID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_2:092=
009=

_______________________________________________
(Continue reading)

Mika Laitio | 1 Nov 21:06 2009

Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

>> I have N810 (Arm 2420 Omap) and tested the playback of sdtv with it by=20
>> using the mplayer as a player which connected to VDR streamdev server.
>> For a while the playback was good but then there were also moments where=
> =20
>> the playback or sounds get scattered.
> =A0
> Nokia N800 was reported to have inefficient graphics hardware (I assume N81=
> 0=20
> is quite the same) :

Well, I was not fully sure were those scatterings caused by the graphic 
hardware or wlan. Because for a while the screen were actually fine.

In addition that omap version is supposed to have support for davinci dsp 
chipset and prebuild codecs for a acceleration of various 
sound/picture/video formats. In reality I do not know how much those 
capabilities are used or how linux apps like mplayer could advantage 
them...

http://www.go-dsp.com/forms/TIDigitalMediaSWCM/index.htm

Mika

> http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//maemo-developers/2007-March/009133.htm
>
> Probably the recent N900 would be a smoother client for VDR (though it has =
> a smaller=20
> screen: 3.5' vs. 4.1')
> 		 	   		 =20
> _________________________________________________________________
(Continue reading)

Helge Lenz | 1 Nov 21:43 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

As far as I know uses the reel NetClient an ARM core but I am not shure 
which one and if there is an additional graphics processor onboard. As 
long as nobody buys this box and opens it, we won't know.

Helge.

Paul Menzel schrieb:
> Dear list,
>
>
> I searched the Web but could not find a lot of reviews or tests about
> ARM based VDR systems.
>
> The goal is to have a VDR device which consumes the „least possible“
> amount of power. I heard that ARM based devices are good for this.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any experiences using ARM based devices?
>
> 1. Since the boards are mostly small one needs to use mostly USB
> devices, doesn’t one?
> 2. Is the performance high enough to playback SDTV? It should.
> 3. What about HDTV?
>
> 4. Especially the Beagle Board [1][2] was covered a lot in the press.
> But it is not completely free, i. e. the specifications and the
> toolchain is not freely available, is not it [3]? Sorry, if I am wrong
> about this.
>
> If there is any information I missed on the Web, please point me to it.
>
(Continue reading)

Michael Mauch | 2 Nov 00:26 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Restricting a particular dvb card from tuning to channels?with a selected modulation

VDR User wrote:

> I believe the best way to handle this situation is by allowing the
> user control over what devices may be used to tune what channels.  VDR
> can't be smart enough to figure it out due to incorrect & bad design
> in v4l.  Another strong reason to allow this to be configured at the
> user-level is what if the the user has 2 devices...both able to tune a
> channel but the signal is weak.  Tuner 1 can tune it fine but tuner 2
> has problems because of the weak signal.  VDR is simply going to ask a
> free tuner 'can you tune this?', whereas the best scenario would be
> for the user to say 'use tuner 1 for this channel'.
> 
> I can think of two ways to better deal with this; adding a new field
> in channels.conf, 

Doesn't the CA field in channels.conf already allow this?

   Conditional access
          A hexadecimal  integer  defining  how  this  channel  can  be
          accessed:

          0000          Free To Air
          0001...000F   explicitly requires the device with the given number

I don't know if it works if you specify more than one device, but it
certainly works to specify only one device.

Regards...
                Michael

(Continue reading)

Timothy D. Lenz | 2 Nov 17:59 2009

Re: Restricting a particular dvb card from tuning tochannels?with a selected modulation

The CA field can only be used for this or CA, not both.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michael Mauch" <michael.mauch <at> gmx.de>
To: <vdr <at> linuxtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [vdr] Restricting a particular dvb card from tuning tochannels?with a selected modulation

> VDR User wrote:
> 
> > I believe the best way to handle this situation is by allowing the
> > user control over what devices may be used to tune what channels.  VDR
> > can't be smart enough to figure it out due to incorrect & bad design
> > in v4l.  Another strong reason to allow this to be configured at the
> > user-level is what if the the user has 2 devices...both able to tune a
> > channel but the signal is weak.  Tuner 1 can tune it fine but tuner 2
> > has problems because of the weak signal.  VDR is simply going to ask a
> > free tuner 'can you tune this?', whereas the best scenario would be
> > for the user to say 'use tuner 1 for this channel'.
> > 
> > I can think of two ways to better deal with this; adding a new field
> > in channels.conf, 
> 
> Doesn't the CA field in channels.conf already allow this?
> 
>    Conditional access
>           A hexadecimal  integer  defining  how  this  channel  can  be
>           accessed:
> 
>           0000          Free To Air
(Continue reading)

Goga777 | 2 Nov 21:24 2009
Picon

xineliboutput.OSD.Blending = 1 or 0

Hi

how can I recognize - does support my Geforce 8400 card the osd blending hardware method or not in
vdr-xineliboutput ?

xineliboutput.OSD.Blending = 1
xineliboutput.OSD.BlendingLowRes = 0

Goga

_______________________________________________
vdr mailing list
vdr <at> linuxtv.org
http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr

Damien Bally | 2 Nov 23:32 2009
Picon

Jerky sound with dvdplugin (dxr3)

Hello

I tried dvdplugin and noticed the sound was totally broken and jerky. Is 
there a patch that fixes this problem ?

My config : vdr 1.6.0 + dxr3plugin 0.2.9
(Dolby Digital is disabled)

Thanks

Damien

_______________________________________________
vdr mailing list
vdr <at> linuxtv.org
http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr

Michael Stepanov | 3 Nov 08:49 2009

Re: [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

IMHO nVidia Ion is much better option. Especially for HDTV.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Helge Lenz <h.lenz <at> gmx.de> wrote:
As far as I know uses the reel NetClient an ARM core but I am not shure which one and if there is an additional graphics processor onboard. As long as nobody buys this box and opens it, we won't know.

Helge.

Paul Menzel schrieb:
Dear list,


I searched the Web but could not find a lot of reviews or tests about
ARM based VDR systems.

The goal is to have a VDR device which consumes the „least possible“
amount of power. I heard that ARM based devices are good for this.

Does anyone on this list have any experiences using ARM based devices?

1. Since the boards are mostly small one needs to use mostly USB
devices, doesn’t one?
2. Is the performance high enough to playback SDTV? It should.
3. What about HDTV?

4. Especially the Beagle Board [1][2] was covered a lot in the press.
But it is not completely free, i. e. the specifications and the
toolchain is not freely available, is not it [3]? Sorry, if I am wrong
about this.

If there is any information I missed on the Web, please point me to it.


Thanks a lot,

Paul


[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeagleBoard
[2] http://beagleboard.org/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TMS320
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
vdr mailing list
vdr <at> linuxtv.org
http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr
 


_______________________________________________
vdr mailing list
vdr <at> linuxtv.org
http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr



--
Cheers,
Michael
_______________________________________________
vdr mailing list
vdr <at> linuxtv.org
http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr
Jan Willies | 3 Nov 10:48 2009

Re: Jerky sound with dvdplugin (dxr3)

Hi Damien,

Am 02.11.2009 23:32, schrieb Damien Bally:
> I tried dvdplugin and noticed the sound was totally broken and jerky. Is
> there a patch that fixes this problem ?

You may want to try dxr3player (via externalplayerPlugin or something). 
That used to work well here.

Now I am using plain mplayer with -vo dxr3.

HTH,

  - jan

_______________________________________________
vdr mailing list
vdr <at> linuxtv.org
http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr


Gmane