Thane Sherrington (S | 1 May 01:36 2006

Re: HD failure not detected.

At 09:50 PM 29/04/2006, Bruce Allen wrote:
>The self-tests detect unreadable sectors of the disk.  A disk with 
>such sectors *may* still be perfectly healthy.  In order to bring 
>the disk back to 'normal' functioning, one must write to the 
>unreadable sectors, so that the disk can store data there, or 
>reallocate the sectors if they are no longer usable.  Unless the 
>disk has run out of spare sectors for this reallocation, it will 
>still be considered healthy by the firmware.

How would I write to the unreadable sectors in Windows?

T  

-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
Bruce Allen | 1 May 16:56 2006
Picon

Re: HD failure not detected.

I don't know.  Christian, do you know?

PS: one possibility -- install cygwin on your Win32 box, then use 'dd' 
from cygwin.

Cheers,
 	Bruce

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Thane Sherrington (S) wrote:

> At 09:50 PM 29/04/2006, Bruce Allen wrote:
>> The self-tests detect unreadable sectors of the disk.  A disk with such 
>> sectors *may* still be perfectly healthy.  In order to bring the disk back 
>> to 'normal' functioning, one must write to the unreadable sectors, so that 
>> the disk can store data there, or reallocate the sectors if they are no 
>> longer usable.  Unless the disk has run out of spare sectors for this 
>> reallocation, it will still be considered healthy by the firmware.
>
> How would I write to the unreadable sectors in Windows?
>
> T 
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
> Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
> _______________________________________________
> Smartmontools-support mailing list
(Continue reading)

Christian Franke | 1 May 17:33 2006
Picon

Re: HD failure not detected.

Thane Sherrington (S) wrote:
> How would I write to the unreadable sectors in Windows?

Bruce Allen wrote:
> PS: one possibility -- install cygwin on your Win32 box, then use 'dd' 
> from cygwin.

Yes, this should work.
Cygwin maps device names /dev/sd[a...] to \.\\PhysicalDrive[0...]

There are also several native windows versions of dd:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
http://users.erols.com/gmgarner/forensics/
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm

But I have no experience with any of these.
Note that most tools do not support physical device access on 9x/ME.

Christian

-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
Cyber | 2 May 17:04 2006
Picon

no sense translation

Hi Guys!

Me again ;)
Sorry this will be a little off topic but i think it's worth a mail 
because u working with harddrives all the time and maybe have an idea 
what can i do with this.

So i bought a brand new 200gb Seagate SATA II drive and a sata "raid" 
card SIL 3112, i tried it with 2.6.15 and the lastest kernel too but 
there is a problem when a huge transfer started:

kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x8000002
(Continue reading)

Justin Piszcz | 2 May 18:48 2006

Re: no sense translation

Use at least kernel 2.6.16, this bug was fixed in that version and newer.

Justin.

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Cyber wrote:

> Hi Guys!
>
> Me again ;)
> Sorry this will be a little off topic but i think it's worth a mail because u 
> working with harddrives all the time and maybe have an idea what can i do 
> with this.
>
> So i bought a brand new 200gb Seagate SATA II drive and a sata "raid" card 
> SIL 3112, i tried it with 2.6.15 and the lastest kernel too but there is a 
> problem when a huge transfer started:
>
> kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
> kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
> kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
> kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
> kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
> kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
> kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
> kernel: ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
> kernel: ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: ata1: no sense translation for status: 0x51
(Continue reading)

Mark Schonewille | 3 May 10:10 2006
Picon

Re: Install smartctl on Mac OS X

Hello,

Here's a quick reminder. I'm still hoping for a clue to
installing SmartCtl on Mac OS X. Are there any Mac OS X users on
this list?

Best,

Mark

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I am new on thist list. For info about me, feel free to have a look at 
> http://economy-x-talk.com.
> 
> Smartctl seems to be the solution I am looking for, but I cannot find 
> any info on the web about installing smartctl on Mac OS X. Considering 
> installing smartctl on many linux and unix falvours, the smartmontools 
> homepage advices downloading a tar ball, but there is no tar ball 
> available on sourceforge, except those with i86 binaries. Could you 
> please refer me to relevant information?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Mark
> 

--

-- 

(Continue reading)

Bruce Allen | 3 May 14:51 2006
Picon

Re: Install smartctl on Mac OS X

Mark,

I have Mac OS X machines in my collection, but tend to do a lot of work on 
the command line.  We don't have a package installer along the lines of 
the usual Mac OS X standard.

If you are able to tackle a command line install, read the INSTALL file 
and then download a CVS snapshot or the .tar.tz tarball.  The 'make 
install' works correctly on Mac OS X.  But if your computer does not have 
some basic 'computer geek' tools such as compilers installed, this won't 
work.

One thing that might work well is to install FINK 
http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php?phpLang=en and then get the package 
from there: 
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/search.php?summary=smartmontools This 
should require nothing other than standard Mac OS X install skills.  But 
the package version available here is 5.33 not the current 5.36 version.

Cheers,
 	Bruce

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here's a quick reminder. I'm still hoping for a clue to
> installing SmartCtl on Mac OS X. Are there any Mac OS X users on
> this list?
>
(Continue reading)

David Mansfield | 1 May 22:15 2006

system/io performance is unbearably bad during long selftest

Hi,

I have one system out of about 20 here that basically 'goes away' during 
the selftest of the drives.  In fact, I/O can be delayed by MINUTES 
during the long selftest.   It does always complete, however, if you are 
patient enough.

I have remote monitoring of the machine, and every time the long 
selftest fires off (Sunday Night/Monday morning) all kinds of 'failures' 
are reported because the services cannot respond in a reasonable time.

System is Centos 4.2.  The IDE interface is amd74xx.  The drives are 
Seagate ST380011A.

Each drive is on it's own channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
Mertens Bram | 4 May 23:30 2006
Picon

both SATA disks are generating warnings is my motherboard trashing my disks? [Long]

Hi

First of all I'm new to this list and new to the smartmontools.

I recently experienced a hard disk crash and since then I replaced it
with two Seagate SATA disks.  I also started using the smartmontools
because when the disk was dying smartctl showed lots of errors on the
old disk.  I'm hoping to be better prepared next time.

Unfortunately "next time" might be sooner than I'd hoped for.  But
then again I'm not sure how to interpret all these
warnings/messages/numbers.  I hope someone here will be able to help
me interpret them correctly.

First of all I'm seeing lots of messages like this in /var/log/syslog:
May  4 19:35:05 valinor kernel: parport0: FIFO is stuck
May  4 19:35:05 valinor kernel: parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in
compat_write_block_pio
May  4 19:35:15 valinor kernel: DMA write timed out

There are dozens of them with approximately two-minute intervals.

next I received the following from smartd today:
Subject: SMART error (Usage) detected on host: valinor

This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

   host name: valinor
   DNS domain: [Unknown]
   NIS domain: (none)
(Continue reading)

Leon Woestenberg | 6 May 17:09 2006

Re: [smartmontools-support]Re: LibPATA code issues / 2.6.16 (previously, 2.6.15.x)

Hi all,

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:05 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 
> > 
> > Agreed, though the original poster had already done a 400GB dd from
> > /dev/zero...
> 
> Yes, but to a _file_ on the partition (ie he didn't overwrite any existign 
> data, just the empty parts of a filesystem).
> 
> I realize that it's not enough for the "re-allocate on write" behaviour, 
> and for that you really _do_ need to re-write the whole disk to get all 
> the broken blocks reallocated, but my argument was just that we should 
> make sure to _tell_ people when they are overwriting all their old data ;)
> 
I did not realize this before, and asked badblocks maintainer Theodore
if badblocks /some/file was supported (the man page says no); but of
course any filesystem can decide to re-allocate blocks for a file.

However, for large files where parts may be bad sectors, I am still
searching for a way to read, then re-write every physical sector
occupied by the file. 

With the purpose to remap the bad sectors inside large MPEG files (where
I would rather have a few zeroed holes than a read error in them).

Anyone know such tooling exists? I suspect it has to use filesystem
(Continue reading)


Gmane