Geoff | 1 Feb 18:56 2004
Picon

Warnings when querying my Samsung harddrive.


 minkey etc # smartctl -a /dev/hda
 smartctl version 5.25 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
 Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

 === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
 Device Model:     SAMSUNG SV0844D
 Serial Number:    0122J1FK927335
 Firmware Version: KU100
 Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
 ATA Version is:   3
 ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
 Local Time is:    Sat Jan 24 18:05:02 2004 GMT

 ==> WARNING: Contact developers at
 smartmontools-support <at> lists.sourceforge.net; may need -F samsung[2]
 enabled.

 SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 85-87 don't
 show if SMART is enabled. A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting.
 To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

 Using both -F samsung and -F samsung2 yields the same complaints from
 smartctl. I was unsure how I should use the -T option so I did not
 experiment.

 I've contacted you, now what? :)

 (Can you CC replies to me, I'm not subscribed)

(Continue reading)

James Herschel | 2 Feb 17:19 2004

RE: Monitoring SCSI through a Perc3/Di?

Thanks for all the thought you guys put in to this.  Looking forward to the
next release!

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Allen [mailto:ballen <at> gravity.phys.uwm.edu]
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 6:32 AM
To: Erik Inge Bolsø
Cc: Bruce Allen; James Herschel; Smartmontools Mailing List
Subject: Re: [smartmontools-support]Monitoring SCSI through a Perc3/Di?

Erik,

Thanks for the explaination -- I hadn't realized that Perc3/Di == aacraid.
I'll send a note to the aacraid maintainers.

Cheers,
        Bruce

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Erik Inge Bolsø wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, James Herschel wrote:
> >Just curious if it's even possible for starters - and if it is, can
anyone
> >point me in the right direction for resources? I'm running RHES 3.0 on a
> >Dell Poweredge 1650 with two Hitachi DR32DJ-36MC drives using RAID 1.
> >
> >I'm tired of crashing my test server ;-)
>
(Continue reading)

Bruce Allen | 2 Feb 18:36 2004
Picon

Re: Warnings when querying my Samsung harddrive.

Hi Geoff,

Your drive may not support SMART.  Try adding -T permissive and enabling
SMART:

smartctl -T permissive -s on

Bruce

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Geoff wrote:

> 
>  minkey etc # smartctl -a /dev/hda
>  smartctl version 5.25 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
>  Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> 
>  === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
>  Device Model:     SAMSUNG SV0844D
>  Serial Number:    0122J1FK927335
>  Firmware Version: KU100
>  Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
>  ATA Version is:   3
>  ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
>  Local Time is:    Sat Jan 24 18:05:02 2004 GMT
> 
>  ==> WARNING: Contact developers at
>  smartmontools-support <at> lists.sourceforge.net; may need -F samsung[2]
>  enabled.
> 
> 
(Continue reading)

Bruce Allen | 2 Feb 18:34 2004
Picon

Re: Problems with Samsung disk

Greg,

Please run a self-test (-t short) and let it complete.  Then please try:

  smartctl -v 9,halfminutes -F samsung /dev/hda
and
  smartctl -v 9,halfminutes -F samsung2 /dev/hda
and
  smartctl -v 9,halfminutes /dev/hda

Does one of the three outputs look sensible?

Bruce

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, greg wrote:

> Hello
> 
> I recently discovered your great Smartmontools product, so I'm 
> installing it on all my boxes :)
> 
> One of the disk shows a strange behavior; I used the "-F samsung[2]" 
> option and either the test list is empty, or the hours timestamps are 
> weird...
> 
> Here are the reports:
> 
> 
> ------>smartctl -a /dev/hda -F samsung
> smartctl version 5.26 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
(Continue reading)

smartmontools Users | 2 Feb 22:06 2004
Picon

SMART Prefailure, Seek_Error_Rate changed, SC:08

On 1/26/2004 I recieved an e-mail from smartmontools containing:

Jan 26 21:52:48 smartd[364]: Device: /dev/hda, SMART Prefailure 
Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 85
Jan 26 21:52:48 smartd[364]: Device: /dev/hda, ATA error count increased 
from 0 to 1

It appears that the disk has a few (SC:08) bad sectors. Is this correct, 
or a sign that the drive is nearing failure? This is the first such 
(critical) error I've recieved from smartmontools since I began using it.

After running a 'smartctl -t long /dev/hda' per the FAQ, here's the 
output from 'smartctl -l selftest /dev/hda'.

Your thoughts on this disks' status or suggested actions are appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------

smartctl version 5.1-14 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM20.5
Serial Number:    184017730504
Firmware Version: A35.0700
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   5
ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
Local Time is:    Thu Jan 29 11:21:14 2004 CST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
(Continue reading)

Bruce Allen | 2 Feb 22:31 2004
Picon

Re: SMART Prefailure, Seek_Error_Rate changed, SC:08

> On 1/26/2004 I recieved an e-mail from smartmontools containing:
> 
> Jan 26 21:52:48 smartd[364]: Device: /dev/hda, SMART Prefailure 
> Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 85
> Jan 26 21:52:48 smartd[364]: Device: /dev/hda, ATA error count increased 
> from 0 to 1
> 
> It appears that the disk has a few (SC:08) bad sectors. Is this correct, 
> or a sign that the drive is nearing failure? This is the first such 
> (critical) error I've recieved from smartmontools since I began using it.
> 
> After running a 'smartctl -t long /dev/hda' per the FAQ, here's the 
> output from 'smartctl -l selftest /dev/hda'.
> 
> Your thoughts on this disks' status or suggested actions are appreciated.

> Self-test execution status:      ( 249)	Self-test routine in progress...
> 					90% of test remaining.

Please send -a output when the self-test has completed.

> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always 
>        -       1

This is a sign of trouble.  There is a sector on the disk that can't be
read.  The self-test may identify it, or may 'help it' to be read and  get
it reallocated.

> After command completion occurred, registers were:
> ER:00 SC:08 SN:b0 CL:51 CH:df D/H:e0 ST:d0
(Continue reading)

smartmontools Users | 3 Feb 00:13 2004
Picon

Re: SMART Prefailure, Seek_Error_Rate changed, SC:08

Thanks again for your help.

------------------------------------------------------

smartctl version 5.26 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM20.5
Serial Number:    184017730504
Firmware Version: A35.0700
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   5
ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
Local Time is:    Mon Feb  2 17:06:18 2004 CST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x80)	Offline data collection activity was
					never started.
					Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
					without error or no self-test has ever
					been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: 		 (  46) seconds.
(Continue reading)

Bruce Allen | 3 Feb 00:25 2004
Picon

Re: SMART Prefailure, Seek_Error_Rate changed, SC:08

So...

About 160 hours ago your disk failed to read one sector of the disk. The
recent self-test seems to indicate that the disk has been successful in
reading the entire disk surface, but I'm not sure that I trust this.  I'd
keep an eye on the disk, and if at some point in the future it fails
(again) to read a sector, you'll notice another entry in the disk error
log and the pending sector count go up by one again.  If this happens, get
the Quantum/Maxtor SMART disk utility, and run it.  It may be able to
force reallocation of the bad sector.

Cheers,
	Bruce

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, smartmontools Users wrote:

> Thanks again for your help.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> 
> smartctl version 5.26 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> 
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM20.5
> Serial Number:    184017730504
> Firmware Version: A35.0700
> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
> ATA Version is:   5
> ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1
(Continue reading)

Hugo Monteiro Cacote | 4 Feb 10:59 2004
Picon
Picon

RE: 3ware card SMART monitoring

Dear Bruce,

I made the same try with my disk monitoring script using the 3ware Driver version: 1.02.00.037, which I
think is the latest version.

The results are still the same, meaning if I query a certain device (/dev/sd*) I get the response of all the
disks that are attached in the controller and not those related with the device.

The smartctl version that I'm using is the 5.26 and my OS is Gnu_Linux Red Hat 7.3.

I attach to this 3 files that can help debugg : the 3ware controller configuration
(3ware_controller_cofiguration.txt), the output of the script without -q sile
(smartctl_output_no_silent_option.txt), and the results I get out of my disk monitoring script (output_disk_monitoring_script.txt).

Case you need any other information,please contact me and I will rapidily try to provide the information lacking.

Thank you
Hugo  Caçote  

-----Original Message-----
From: smartmontools-support-admin <at> lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:smartmontools-support-admin <at> lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Bruce Allen
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:05 AM
To: Hugo Cacote
Cc: smartmontools-support <at> lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [smartmontools-support]3ware card SMART monitoring

Hugh,

Could you please send the output with the -q silent removed?  This will make it clearer what is going on.
(Continue reading)

Hugo Monteiro Cacote | 4 Feb 18:12 2004
Picon
Picon

RE: 3ware card SMART monitoring + direct question


Hi Bruce,

I think my last e-mail can be translated to the following direct
question:

Can smart tools be used to do disk/device(/dev/sda, /dev/sdb..... )
mapping ?? 

This would solve the problem of seeing all the disks in the controler
when querying 
one device, or I must do this mapping via 3ware controller command
line??

Thank you again,
Hugo Cacote

-------------------------------------------------------
The SF.Net email is sponsored by EclipseCon 2004
Premiere Conference on Open Tools Development and Integration
See the breadth of Eclipse activity. February 3-5 in Anaheim, CA.
http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

Gmane