Jeff Dike | 2 Jan 16:03 2008

Re: [uml-user] Hanging using 'iptables -L' in UML vm booted with con0=pts

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 10:01:14AM +0100, David Fernández wrote:
> Thanks for the patch. We have made several tests with a 2.6.18-1 kernel
> compiled with your patch and all the reported problems are gone.

Thanks for the confirmation.

			Jeff

--

-- 
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
Jeff Dike | 2 Jan 16:36 2008

Re: [uml-user] Random segmentation faults with multiple UML instances

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 08:55:57PM +0100, Massimo Rimondini wrote:
> I would like to report this issue, which I have been experiencing since
> I started using SKAS0 mode.
> 
> If I run two (or more) UML instances simultaneously, I get random errors
> and segmentation fault reports from guest processes during the boot
> phase. 

How consistent is this?

I just tried a bunch of times with the recipe you gave, and saw no problems.

				Jeff

--

-- 
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
Martin Paraskevov | 2 Jan 18:49 2008
Picon

[uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

This may be a simple question but I can't figure out what's wrong
from the error messages and found nothing useful googling.

I can start uml with the Fedora guest root fs from
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/  like this:

./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1

However, when I try to specify a cow file the boot is unsuccessful:

./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=cow1,FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1

The file cow1 does not exist but it is created. Here is the output when I
issue the command:

martin <at> venus:uml$ ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M
ubda=cow1,FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1
Core dump limits :
        soft - 0
        hard - NONE
Checking that ptrace can change system call numbers...OK
Checking syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK
Checking advanced syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK
Checking for tmpfs mount on /dev/shm...OK
Checking PROT_EXEC mmap in /dev/shm/...OK
Checking for the skas3 patch in the host:
  - /proc/mm...not found: No such file or directory
  - PTRACE_FAULTINFO...not found
  - PTRACE_LDT...not found
UML running in SKAS0 mode
(Continue reading)

Flavio | 2 Jan 18:59 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> This may be a simple question but I can't figure out what's wrong
> from the error messages and found nothing useful googling.
>
> I can start uml with the Fedora guest root fs from
> http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/  like this:
>
> ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1
>
> However, when I try to specify a cow file the boot is unsuccessful:
>
> ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=cow1,FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1
>
> The file cow1 does not exist but it is created. Here is the output when I
> issue the command:
>
> martin <at> venus:uml$ ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M
> ubda=cow1,FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1

Hello,
I guess you should not pass the FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs argoument,
once you created the cow file.
Simply pass ubda=cow1, and try again.

Flavio

> Core dump limits :
>         soft - 0
>         hard - NONE
> Checking that ptrace can change system call numbers...OK
(Continue reading)

Martin Paraskevov | 2 Jan 19:08 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

I tried it:

martin <at> venus:uml$ ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=cow1  umid=fedora1

However, I'm still getting the same output and uml doesn't boot.

- Martin

On Jan 2, 2008 12:59 PM, Flavio <fbcyborg <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> > This may be a simple question but I can't figure out what's wrong
> > from the error messages and found nothing useful googling.
> >
> > I can start uml with the Fedora guest root fs from
> > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/  like this:
> >
> > ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1
> >
> > However, when I try to specify a cow file the boot is unsuccessful:
> >
> > ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=cow1,FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1
> >
> > The file cow1 does not exist but it is created. Here is the output when I
> > issue the command:
> >
> > martin <at> venus:uml$ ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M
> > ubda=cow1,FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs  umid=fedora1
>
> Hello,
> I guess you should not pass the FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs argoument,
(Continue reading)

Flavio | 2 Jan 19:15 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> I tried it:
>
> martin <at> venus:uml$ ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=cow1  umid=fedora1
>
> However, I'm still getting the same output and uml doesn't boot.

Mmh... very strange issue this one....
I usually boot using my cow files doing as it follows:

linux ubd0=mycow.cow ubd1=swapfs.debian eth0=tuntap,,,host_ip_address mem=512M

Check also the cow file permission rights: I set my cow file in this way:
chmod 644 mycow.cow

At the end, you will have something like that:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 839909376 Nov 10 11:52 rootfs.debian
-rw-r--r-- 1 umluser umluser 840126464 Nov 10 11:57 mycow.cow

Let me know! ;-)

Flavio

>
> - Martin
>
> On Jan 2, 2008 12:59 PM, Flavio <fbcyborg <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> > > This may be a simple question but I can't figure out what's wrong
(Continue reading)

Martin Paraskevov | 2 Jan 19:40 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

The permissions are ok:

martin <at> venus:uml$ ls -l
total 3169828
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1611019264 2008-01-02 08:36 cow1
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1610613760 2008-01-02 08:36 FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1610613760 2008-01-02 08:28
FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs-net
-rwxr--r-- 1 martin martin   21447240 2007-12-19 21:57 linux-2.6.22-rc2
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1073742848 2007-12-22 16:45 swap

I have two fs images because I downloaded a fresh unmodified copy from
the internet:
http://uml.nagafix.co.uk/FedoraCore5/FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs.bz2

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the fs image online.
I can't boot it
specifying cow on the command line.

- Martin

On Jan 2, 2008 1:15 PM, Flavio <fbcyborg <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> > I tried it:
> >
> > martin <at> venus:uml$ ./linux-2.6.22-rc2 mem=128M ubda=cow1  umid=fedora1
> >
> > However, I'm still getting the same output and uml doesn't boot.
>
> Mmh... very strange issue this one....
(Continue reading)

Flavio | 2 Jan 20:02 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> The permissions are ok:
>
> martin <at> venus:uml$ ls -l
> total 3169828
> -rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1611019264 2008-01-02 08:36 cow1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1610613760 2008-01-02 08:36 FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs
> -rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1610613760 2008-01-02 08:28
> FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs-net
> -rwxr--r-- 1 martin martin   21447240 2007-12-19 21:57 linux-2.6.22-rc2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1073742848 2007-12-22 16:45 swap
>
> I have two fs images because I downloaded a fresh unmodified copy from
> the internet:
> http://uml.nagafix.co.uk/FedoraCore5/FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs.bz2
>
> Is it possible that there is something wrong with the fs image online.
Mmh, I don't know, but maybe. I've  never used a pre-built image from
nagafix.co.uk.
I always made filesystems by myself using debootstrap (if you need
details, please let me know).

I tought it was a permission issue becouse of this message:
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.

But I guess the problem is here:
Creating "cow1" as COW file for "FedoraCore5-x86-root_fs"
 ubda: unknown partition table

It is so strange, you are able to start UML using the root_fs and not
(Continue reading)

Martin Paraskevov | 2 Jan 20:12 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

I missed to cc the list on this message.

On Jan 2, 2008 2:11 PM, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> Here is the /etc/fstab on the UML instance:
>
> [user <at> localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/ubda       /               auto    defaults                1   1
> none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620          0   0
> none            /proc           proc    defaults                0   0
> tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults,size=768M      0   0
> #/dev/ubdb       none            swap    defaults        0   0
> #/dev/ubdc       /mnt/hd/        auto    defaults        0   0
>
> The fs image that I downloaded is linked from the main UML page:
> http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> I downloaded it because I don't know how to create an image myself.
> Can you please provide some details on how to use debootstrap.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
> Martin
>
>
> On Jan 2, 2008 2:02 PM, Flavio <fbcyborg <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> > > The permissions are ok:
> > >
> > > martin <at> venus:uml$ ls -l
> > > total 3169828
> > > -rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 1611019264 2008-01-02 08:36 cow1
(Continue reading)

Flavio | 2 Jan 20:22 2008
Picon

Re: [uml-user] cannot start uml with cow

On 02/01/2008, Martin Paraskevov <martin <at> cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> Here is the /etc/fstab on the UML instance:
>
> [user <at> localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/ubda       /               auto    defaults                1   1
> none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620          0   0
> none            /proc           proc    defaults                0   0
> tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults,size=768M      0   0
> #/dev/ubdb       none            swap    defaults        0   0
> #/dev/ubdc       /mnt/hd/        auto    defaults        0   0

Dear Martin,
my uml filesystem contains a simple /etc/fstab (only two lines):
/dev/ubd0 / ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/ubd1 none swap sw 0 0

One for the root filesystem and one for the swap. I think your is similar.
Maybe the root filesystem you are using is configured in order to be
loaded using ubda instead ubd0/1 etc.. But it's the same.
You can eventually try to set your fstab like this one:
/dev/ubda / ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/ubdb none swap sw 0 0

>
> The fs image that I downloaded is linked from the main UML page:
> http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> I downloaded it because I don't know how to create an image myself.
> Can you please provide some details on how to use debootstrap.
Of course.
(Continue reading)


Gmane