Nadav Har'El | 1 Apr 06:40 2010
Picon

Kosher for Passover software

We're in the middle of Passover, and apparently observant Jews who are
computer users are facing a new problem: a famous Rabbi has just declared [1]
that during the week of Passover, observant Jews must only use software which
has been certified Kosher-for-Passover.

How can software possibly contain chometz? And who eats software anyway? :-)
As it turns out, it's not just that you're not allowed to eat chometz on
Passover - you're not allowed even to "benefit" from it. Observant jews
already make sure that during Passover, their dogs eat kosher-for-passover
dogfood, their toilet paper is free of chometz, and the milk they drink comes
from cows that hadn't eaten chometz. The new decision is that using software
which benefited from chometz during Passover is disallowed. And how can
software possibly benefit from chometz? Easy - Napoleon once said that
"the army marches on its stomache". Likewise, programmers eat, and without
food, there can be no software. If programmers ate chometz on Passover,
and you use this software, you're benefiting from chometz on Passover,
which is not allowed.

Here in the Israeli software industry we're in a unique position to produce
kosher-for-passover software, because most of our programmers eat only
kosher-for-passover food during passover. If we only make sure not to
accidentally mix-in pieces of chometz software into our kosher software.
We should especially avoid free software - because much of it was written by
gentiles who eat bread during Passover!

Happy holiday!

Nadav.

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

sammy ominsky | 1 Apr 06:48 2010

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On 01/04/2010, at 00:40, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> We're in the middle of Passover, and apparently observant Jews who are
> computer users are facing a new problem: a famous Rabbi has just declared [1]
> that during the week of Passover, observant Jews must only use software which
> has been certified Kosher-for-Passover.

So you should create the KPL, which, if modeled after the GPL, would prevent the mixing of Chametz-licensed
software with it.  Chametz software would have to be run only in user space, and couldn't be brought into the kitchen^Wkernel.

--sambo
_______________________________________________
Linux-il mailing list
Linux-il@...
http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/mailman/listinfo/linux-il

Shlomi Fish | 1 Apr 07:07 2010
Picon

Announcing Freecell Solver<tm> Enterprise Edition

Freecell Solver Enterprises™, Inc., on behalf of the Freecell Solver™ 
development team, is glad to announce the upcoming availability of 
Freecell Solver™ Enterprise Edition:

http://fc-solve.blogspot.com/2010/03/01-april-2010-freecell-solver.html

In its Enterprise Edition, Freecell Solver™ will be
enhanced to solve generalised Freecell, in which there can be an arbitrary
number of card ranks. Since generalised Freecell is NP-complete
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NP-complete ), this will 
allow using Freecell Solver™'s ingenious, cutting-edge algorithms to 
solve the previously hard, provably NP-Complete problems of
the Travelling Salesman problem, Subset sum, Sudoku and
Enterprise content management (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_content_management ).

Read more on the announcement to learn more about this and
upcoming exciting developments:

http://fc-solve.blogspot.com/2010/03/01-april-2010-freecell-solver.html

-------------

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

--

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
(Continue reading)

Shlomi Fish | 1 Apr 07:29 2010
Picon

Announcing Freecell Solver<tm> Enterprise Edition

Freecell Solver Enterprises™, Inc., on behalf of the Freecell Solver™
development team, is glad to announce the upcoming availability of
Freecell Solver™ Enterprise Edition:

http://fc-solve.blogspot.com/2010/03/01-april-2010-freecell-solver.html

In its Enterprise Edition, Freecell Solver™ will be
enhanced to solve generalised Freecell, in which there can be an arbitrary
number of card ranks. Since generalised Freecell is NP-complete
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NP-complete ), this will
allow using Freecell Solver™'s ingenious, cutting-edge algorithms to
solve the previously hard, provably NP-Complete problems of
the Travelling Salesman problem, Subset sum, Sudoku and
Enterprise content management (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_content_management ).

Read more on the announcement to learn more about this and
upcoming exciting developments:

http://fc-solve.blogspot.com/2010/03/01-april-2010-freecell-solver.html

---------

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish

--

-- 
------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
(Continue reading)

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh | 1 Apr 06:53 2010

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On 04/01/10 07:40, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> We should especially avoid free software - because much of it was written by
> gentiles who eat bread during Passover!
>
>   
Following that logic, you should also avoid using any of M$ software,
since it was mostly written by gentiles as well, and sure as hell, there
was lot of bacon in the M$ headquarters cafeteria.

פסח כשר ושמח

(And happy April fools as well :)

--
Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh

http://www.total-knowledge.com

_______________________________________________
Linux-il mailing list
Linux-il <at> cs.huji.ac.il
http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/mailman/listinfo/linux-il
Shlomi Fish | 1 Apr 07:35 2010
Picon

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Nadav Har'El <nyh <at> math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> We're in the middle of Passover, and apparently observant Jews who are
> computer users are facing a new problem: a famous Rabbi has just declared [1]
> that during the week of Passover, observant Jews must only use software which
> has been certified Kosher-for-Passover.
>
> How can software possibly contain chometz? And who eats software anyway? :-)
> As it turns out, it's not just that you're not allowed to eat chometz on
> Passover - you're not allowed even to "benefit" from it. Observant jews
> already make sure that during Passover, their dogs eat kosher-for-passover
> dogfood, their toilet paper is free of chometz, and the milk they drink comes
> from cows that hadn't eaten chometz. The new decision is that using software
> which benefited from chometz during Passover is disallowed. And how can
> software possibly benefit from chometz? Easy - Napoleon once said that
> "the army marches on its stomache". Likewise, programmers eat, and without
> food, there can be no software. If programmers ate chometz on Passover,
> and you use this software, you're benefiting from chometz on Passover,
> which is not allowed.
>
> Here in the Israeli software industry we're in a unique position to produce
> kosher-for-passover software, because most of our programmers eat only
> kosher-for-passover food during passover. If we only make sure not to
> accidentally mix-in pieces of chometz software into our kosher software.
> We should especially avoid free software - because much of it was written by
> gentiles who eat bread during Passover!
>

These are live words of God himself. (דברי אלוהים חיים). I'm glad to
announce that the recently announced Freecell Solver™ Enterprise
Edition sports fully kosherness compliance, including Passover one,
(Continue reading)

Shlomi Fish | 1 Apr 08:06 2010
Picon

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On Thursday 01 Apr 2010 07:53:18 Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
> On 04/01/10 07:40, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> > We should especially avoid free software - because much of it was written
> > by gentiles who eat bread during Passover!
> 
> Following that logic, you should also avoid using any of M$ software,
> since it was mostly written by gentiles as well, and sure as hell, there
> was lot of bacon in the M$ headquarters cafeteria.
> 

Why are you saying "M$" instead of "MS"? Don't you know the dollar signs ("$") 
is not kosher for Passover since U.S. dollars constitute leavened bread? This 
makes all Perl, PHP and Bash/zsh code (And some Ruby and Haskell code) non-
kosher for Passover.

Seriously now - I detest people who use "M$" instead of "MS", not as much 
because I respect Microsoft (which I do to a substantial extent), but because 
I respect the dollar-sign, which among other things is the emblem of 
Objectivism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_%28Ayn_Rand%29

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish (who is about to embark on a mission to write a fully 
kosher operating system from scratch to avoid any foreign worship influences 
on software used by heavens'-fearing Jews.)

> פסח כשר ושמח
> 
(Continue reading)

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh | 1 Apr 09:30 2010

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On 04/01/10 09:06, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Why are you saying "M$" instead of "MS"? Don't you know the dollar
> signs ("$")
> is not kosher for Passover since U.S. dollars constitute leavened bread? This 
> makes all Perl, PHP and Bash/zsh code (And some Ruby and Haskell code) non-
> kosher for Passover.
>   
I'm not kosher either (for Passover or otherwise), so it's OK.
> Seriously now - I detest people who use "M$" instead of "MS", not as much 
> because I respect Microsoft (which I do to a substantial extent), but because 
> I respect the dollar-sign,
There seems to be a contradiction in your words.
1. You say that you don't like people who use M$
2. You say that you respect the dollar sign.
3. You say that you respect the company.

How is combining two things you respect is a bad thing?

--

-- 
Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh
http://www.total-knowledge.com

_______________________________________________
Linux-il mailing list
Linux-il@...
http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/mailman/listinfo/linux-il

Shlomi Fish | 1 Apr 09:55 2010
Picon

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On Thursday 01 Apr 2010 10:30:36 Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
> On 04/01/10 09:06, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Why are you saying "M$" instead of "MS"? Don't you know the dollar
> > signs ("$")
> > is not kosher for Passover since U.S. dollars constitute leavened bread?
> > This makes all Perl, PHP and Bash/zsh code (And some Ruby and Haskell
> > code) non- kosher for Passover.
> 
> I'm not kosher either (for Passover or otherwise), so it's OK.
> 

Shame on you! I'm not going to associate with Shqatzim such as yourself. 

> > Seriously now - I detest people who use "M$" instead of "MS", not as much
> > because I respect Microsoft (which I do to a substantial extent), but
> > because I respect the dollar-sign,
> 
> There seems to be a contradiction in your words.
> 1. You say that you don't like people who use M$
> 2. You say that you respect the dollar sign.
> 3. You say that you respect the company.
> 
> How is combining two things you respect is a bad thing?

Well, first of all, it should be noted that the "$" sign is generally 
associated with greed for money (Like "Make $$$ fast.") etc. so this is what 
people are implying by writing "M$" instead of "MS". By associating the "$" 
sign with Microsoft, one implies that either Microsoft is negatively greedy 
(which may be the case, but all good companies, including the open source 
ones, want to have profits too, and there's nothing wrong with that), or that 
(Continue reading)

Gabor Szabo | 1 Apr 10:13 2010
Picon

Re: Kosher for Passover software

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

> Well, first of all, it should be noted that the "$" sign is generally
> associated with greed for money (Like "Make $$$ fast.") etc.

So you say Larry Wall makes all of us Perl programmers greedy?

He basically invented the extensive use of the $ signs:

use 5.010;

$what = "the_answer";
$$what = 42;

say $the_answer;

say $$$what;

> If "M$" implied respect for both the dollar sign and for Microsoft, it would
> be OK, but fact is it undermines both.

I think  /M$/  just means it ends with an M but I am just a greedy Perl hacker.

Gabor
http://szabgab.com/

_______________________________________________
Linux-il mailing list
Linux-il@...
http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/mailman/listinfo/linux-il
(Continue reading)


Gmane