Jason L Tibbitts III | 1 Jul 01:09 2007
Picon

Re: yum whatprovides ??

>>>>> "JR" == Jeffrey Ross <jeff <at> bubble.org> writes:

JR> I tried using the command "yum whatprovides stddef.h" to locate
JR> the include library last night.  Yum when through its process and
JR> came up with nothing in a fairly short order.

Which is not surprising since there is no package which provides
"state's.h".  However, the kernel-headers package provides
/usr/include/linux/stddef.h; you simply need to give a full path to
the file you're trying to find.

 - J<

--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Steve Searle | 1 Jul 01:11 2007

Re: Booting F7 Installation DVD

Around 08:53pm on Saturday, June 30, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> Hi Dave, well your saying it is stopping before you see a pointer on 
> your screen. That makes me think now that the loader thinks you have too 
> little RAM to load in the usual way. You have few choices then. I think 
> if FC6 loaded fine your better to get that back running.

Have you any evidence for these statements.  Although I have yet to load
FC7 onto some of my older machines, when I have installed earlier
versions I have alwasy managed find with a non-GUI installation.

I would also think that recomending FC6 as better is not a good solution
- it will eventiually become unsecure as it becomes out of date.  BEtter
to work on solving any problems in FC7, that being forced to revert to
older versions.  Are you sure you are not just saying this becasue of
your sound card problems?

Steve

-- 

 Play Champions - my free football predictions game at:
 	http://www.stevesearle.com/champs/about.html

 00:07:47 up 5 days,  3:47,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
(Continue reading)

Tim Waugh | 1 Jul 01:11 2007
Picon

Re: [Gimp-print-devel] I have an update problem.

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 10:57 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The fedora track record in that 
> dept. concerning printing is spotty at best.  Printing in general seems to be 
> something that sits on the back burner, with a _very_ limited gas supply (eg 
> priority) at fedora.

Gene,

Upgrade to Fedora 7, where gutenprint is properly packaged.

In Fedora 6, gutenprint was in Extras not Core -- and so had to be made
to co-exist with the older gimp-print package. (The discussion of why it
was this way has already been had, many times over, on
fedora-devel-list.)

Tim.
*/

--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Sam Varshavchik | 1 Jul 01:24 2007

gnome-terminal's uglification in Fedora 7

Whose bright idea was it to change gnome terminal (actually vte), so that 
spaces are no longer underlined?

$ echo -e '\e[4mHelp me\e[24m'

The two words get underlined, the space character does not.

Does anyone realize just how many terminal applications use underlines to 
visually indicate text-entry fields? Now, they all disappear, and everything 
looks like crap.

I can't think of any valid reason for this change in behavior, since xterm 
still gets it right -- the space character is underlined. I can't wait to 
hear what was the urgent reason for this change that uglifies so many 
existing terminal apps.

--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
ArcosCom Linux User | 1 Jul 01:28 2007

Re: FC6 + fglrx + xgl + dualhead + 2 desktops problem

Does anyone want to help me? Please!

El Vie, 29 de Junio de 2007, 22:28, ArcosCom Linux User escribió:
> Hi guys,
>
> I had installed xgl and appears to be working.
>
> Now the problem is that on the right screen don't load the desktop, I can
> only view a black screen and the mouse cursor appears as a "X" over that
> screen.
>
> I can play with beryl on the laptop flat fine (1600x1050 with 24bpp), but
> not with the external LCD (1280x1024 with 24bpp). The right screen
> (external LCD) works fine witout XGL, and appears to work fine with Xgl,
> but the secondary desktop is not loaded into the secondary screen.
>
> With "ps aux" I can see 2 Xorg process and only one Xgl process.
>
> Perhaps I need to make modifications into any gdm configuration files?
> What files I have to modify? How?
>
> Perhaps I need to make modifications into xorg.conf to adapt it for Xgl
> use?
>
> Please, I need help about this.
>
> I think my xorg.conf file is fine, it allow me to play fine with 2
> desktops (1 desktop per screen) without Xgl and with fglrx and/or nvidia
> drivers, and I can play fine (with the same xorg.conf file) with beryl
> only in the other screen only can see the mouse cursor as an "X".
(Continue reading)

Rahul Sundaram | 1 Jul 01:29 2007

Re: gnome-terminal's uglification in Fedora 7

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Whose bright idea was it to change gnome terminal (actually vte), so 
> that spaces are no longer underlined?
> 
> $ echo -e '\e[4mHelp me\e[24m'
> 
> The two words get underlined, the space character does not.
> 
> Does anyone realize just how many terminal applications use underlines 
> to visually indicate text-entry fields? Now, they all disappear, and 
> everything looks like crap.
> 
> I can't think of any valid reason for this change in behavior, since 
> xterm still gets it right -- the space character is underlined. I can't 
> wait to hear what was the urgent reason for this change that uglifies so 
> many existing terminal apps.

I wouldn't assume it was a deliberate decision. File a bug report.

Rahul

--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Michael H. Semcheski | 1 Jul 01:30 2007
Picon

Re: FC6 + fglrx + xgl + dualhead + 2 desktops problem

Try turning off beryl.

On 6/30/07, ArcosCom Linux User <linux <at> arcoscom.com> wrote:
> Does anyone want to help me? Please!
>
> El Vie, 29 de Junio de 2007, 22:28, ArcosCom Linux User escribió:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I had installed xgl and appears to be working.
> >
> > Now the problem is that on the right screen don't load the desktop, I can
> > only view a black screen and the mouse cursor appears as a "X" over that
> > screen.
> >
> > I can play with beryl on the laptop flat fine (1600x1050 with 24bpp), but
> > not with the external LCD (1280x1024 with 24bpp). The right screen
> > (external LCD) works fine witout XGL, and appears to work fine with Xgl,
> > but the secondary desktop is not loaded into the secondary screen.
> >
> > With "ps aux" I can see 2 Xorg process and only one Xgl process.
> >
> > Perhaps I need to make modifications into any gdm configuration files?
> > What files I have to modify? How?
> >
> > Perhaps I need to make modifications into xorg.conf to adapt it for Xgl
> > use?
> >
> > Please, I need help about this.
> >
> > I think my xorg.conf file is fine, it allow me to play fine with 2
(Continue reading)

Steve Searle | 1 Jul 01:32 2007

Re: gnome-terminal's uglification in Fedora 7

Around 12:29am on Sunday, July 01, 2007 (UK time), Rahul Sundaram scrawled:

> I wouldn't assume it was a deliberate decision. File a bug report.

Rahul, you take all the fun out of assuming the worst and slagging off
people who create free software for us.

Steve

-- 

 Play Champions - my free football predictions game at:
 	http://www.stevesearle.com/champs/about.html

 00:31:12 up 5 days,  4:10,  0 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.12, 0.12
--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
ArcosCom Linux User | 1 Jul 01:35 2007

Re: FC6 + fglrx + xgl + dualhead + 2 desktops problem

Sorry, but the problem is not beryl related.
The problem is with or without beryl installed/configured/loaded.

More help?

El Dom, 1 de Julio de 2007, 1:30, Michael H. Semcheski escribió:
> Try turning off beryl.
>
> On 6/30/07, ArcosCom Linux User <linux <at> arcoscom.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone want to help me? Please!
>>
>> El Vie, 29 de Junio de 2007, 22:28, ArcosCom Linux User escribió:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > I had installed xgl and appears to be working.
>> >
>> > Now the problem is that on the right screen don't load the desktop, I
>> can
>> > only view a black screen and the mouse cursor appears as a "X" over
>> that
>> > screen.
>> >
>> > I can play with beryl on the laptop flat fine (1600x1050 with 24bpp),
>> but
>> > not with the external LCD (1280x1024 with 24bpp). The right screen
>> > (external LCD) works fine witout XGL, and appears to work fine with
>> Xgl,
>> > but the secondary desktop is not loaded into the secondary screen.
>> >
>> > With "ps aux" I can see 2 Xorg process and only one Xgl process.
(Continue reading)

Jim Cornette | 1 Jul 01:47 2007
Picon

Re: Booting F7 Installation DVD

Dave Cross wrote:
> On 6/30/07, Karl Larsen <k5di <at> zianet.com> wrote:
>> Dave Cross wrote:
>> > I have a Philips Freevents X51 laptop and I'm having real problems
>> > getting the F7 installation DVD to boot.
>> >
>> > It boots to the initial screen, where you press "enter" to start the.
>> > installation, but at that point it seems that the keyboard is
>> > unrecognised. Pressing any key has no effect at all.

I had this problem back when first trying to install Linux (Severn, not 
sure which beta).

The problem was due to a USB legacy setting which was set active. USB 
legacy mode locked up my laptop like you are referring to.
I'm not sure if your BIOS would refer to it as USB legacy or USB 
keyboard. Anyway, having it set caused the laptop keyboard to not function.

Jim

-- 
Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?
		-- Steven Wright

--

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list <at> redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

(Continue reading)


Gmane