Greg Hauptmann | 1 Jun 01:33 2008
Picon

RRD related error - **ERROR** accessMutex() called 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex

Hi,

I'm getting an error trying to run RRD under NTOP.  I start NTOP
capturing, however as soon as I went to the RRD plugin menu in NTOP
and clicked on DESCRIBE I start getting the following in the logs?
Below the log info I put some more background.  Any suggestions?
Thanks.  (I tried the user list but no luck)

May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]: NPS(1):
Started thread for network packet sniffing [eth0]
May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t3038989216]: SFP:
Fingerprint scan thread running [p22848]
May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t3028499360]: SIH: Idle
host scan thread running [p22848]
May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]:
NPS(eth0): pcapDispatch thread starting [p22848]
May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]:
NPS(eth0): pcapDispatch thread running [p22848]
May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2937568160]: RRD:
Started thread for throughput data collection
May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2975726496]: RRD: Data
collection thread running [p22848]
May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2937568160]: RRD:
Throughput data collection: Thread starting [p22848]
May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2937568160]: RRD:
Throughput data collection: Thread running [p22848]
May 30 12:31:46 home sshd(pam_unix)[22807]: session closed for user root
May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   EPIPE during sending of page to web client
May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   RRD: Shutting down, locking mutex
(may block for a little while)
(Continue reading)

Greg Hauptmann | 1 Jun 01:46 2008
Picon

Can ntop/rrd track my internal devices use of internet bandwidth / IP address / day (and what config is required)???

Hi,

Can I ask for some help re setting up NTOP and RRD to report on
Internet traffic bandwidth usage for devices in my home (e.g. PCs,
X-Box, appleTV etc etc).  I want to be able to see the Internet usage
data:  per internal device (IP), per day, per up/down (i.e. have these
breakdowns), for all protocols (i.e. all traffic).   As an optional
extract, in a perfect world it would be nice to have it broken down to
peak versus non-peak for my ISP as well, as this is how the internet
bandwidth is capped and charged for.

[1] Can NTOP with RRD actually do this?

[2] What interfaces would I need to capture against?  Is it just
"eth0" which is my firewall network card for the internal network, or
is it "ppp0" which is the network card out to my ISP, or do I need to
capture both?   Again I really only want to have a report with the IP
addresses for devices in my home, and then their internet usage per
day, per up/down.

[3] In the RRD config what "Data to Dump" do I need?  Eg Domains /
Flows / Hosts / Interfaces / ASs / Matrix

[4] Any other non-default RRD or NTOP configuration I need to tweak?

Thanks in advance.
Greg
svn-commit | 2 Jun 13:31 2008

r3507 - trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t

Author: deri
Date: 2008-06-02 13:31:19 +0200 (Mon, 02 Jun 2008)
New Revision: 3507

Modified:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/0.boot.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/1.open.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/2.close.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/3.version.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/4.recv.t
Log:
1. function Recv renamed Next
2. code cleanup
svn-commit | 2 Jun 13:31 2008

r3508 - in trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring: . examples

Author: deri
Date: 2008-06-02 13:31:41 +0200 (Mon, 02 Jun 2008)
New Revision: 3508

Modified:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Changes
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/FAQ
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/MANIFEST
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Makefile.PL
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Pfring.pm
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Pfring.xs
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/README
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/TODO
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/examples/test.pl
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/typemap
Log:
1. function Recv renamed Next
2. code cleanup
svn-commit | 2 Jun 13:51 2008

r3509 - in trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring: . t

Author: deri
Date: 2008-06-02 13:51:40 +0200 (Mon, 02 Jun 2008)
New Revision: 3509

Added:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/00-boot.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/01-load.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/04-open.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/05-close.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/06-next.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/07-version.t
Removed:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/0.boot.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/1.open.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/2.close.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/3.version.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/4.recv.t
Modified:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/MANIFEST
Log:
test scripts renamed each with its unique identifier on leading double digits
svn-commit | 2 Jun 14:06 2008

r3510 - trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t

Author: deri
Date: 2008-06-02 14:06:28 +0200 (Mon, 02 Jun 2008)
New Revision: 3510

Added:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/02-vars.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/03-api.t
Modified:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/00-boot.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/01-load.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/04-open.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/05-close.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/06-next.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/07-version.t
Log:
more code cleanup
svn-commit | 2 Jun 18:55 2008

r3511 - in trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring: . examples t

Author: deri
Date: 2008-06-02 18:55:38 +0200 (Mon, 02 Jun 2008)
New Revision: 3511

Modified:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Changes
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/MANIFEST
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Makefile.PL
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Pfring.pm
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/Pfring.xs
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/TODO
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/examples/test.pl
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/00-boot.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/03-api.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/04-open.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/05-close.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/06-next.t
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/07-version.t
Log:
1. added funtion stats
2. added functions aliases for better usability
svn-commit | 2 Jun 18:56 2008

r3512 - trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t

Author: deri
Date: 2008-06-02 18:56:28 +0200 (Mon, 02 Jun 2008)
New Revision: 3512

Added:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/08-version.t
Removed:
   trunk/PF_RING/userland/perl/Net-Pfring/t/07-version.t
Log:
test script renamed to follow implementation order
Ola Lundqvist | 2 Jun 21:33 2008
Picon

Re: RRD related error - **ERROR** accessMutex() called 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex

Hi Greg

Try this:

export LANG=C

And then start ntop.

Best regards,

// Ola

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:33:28AM +1000, Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I'm getting an error trying to run RRD under NTOP.  I start NTOP
> capturing, however as soon as I went to the RRD plugin menu in NTOP
> and clicked on DESCRIBE I start getting the following in the logs?
> Below the log info I put some more background.  Any suggestions?
> Thanks.  (I tried the user list but no luck)
> 
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]: NPS(1):
> Started thread for network packet sniffing [eth0]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t3038989216]: SFP:
> Fingerprint scan thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t3028499360]: SIH: Idle
> host scan thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]:
> NPS(eth0): pcapDispatch thread starting [p22848]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]:
(Continue reading)

Greg Hauptmann | 3 Jun 01:42 2008
Picon

Re: RRD related error - **ERROR** accessMutex() called 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex

Tks Ola, (all)

After logging on I see:

[root <at> home ~]# set | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Q1 - So I opened a terminal and issued the "export LANG=C" command as you suggested.  Then I issued "service ntop restart".  Is this what you meant?  I'm not sure that doing this will cause ntop (which runs as a service for me) to inherit this?

Q2 - After doing the above I did some more testing and can confirm ntop/rrd seems to be working fine (i.e. I can get graphs etc) EXCEPT for when I go RRD MENU => DESCRIBE, after which I see the following errors, until I restart RRD via the menu.  Any ideas?   Do I need this "DESCRIBE" feature?

DESCRIBE
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   RRD: Shutting down, locking mutex (may block for a little while)
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   RRD: Locked mutex, continuing shutdown
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   THREADMGMT[t2986290080]: RRD: killThread(rrdThread) succeeded
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   THREADMGMT[t2986290080]: RRD: killThread(rrdTrafficThread) succeeded
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   THREADMGMT[t2986290080]: RRD: Plugin shutdown continuing
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   RRD: Thanks for using the rrdPlugin
Jun  3 09:33:13 home ntop[7033]:   RRD: Done
Jun  3 09:33:14 home ntop[7033]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937248672 m0xb15c5e20 <at> rrdPlugin.c:2050]
Jun  3 09:33:14 home ntop[7033]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937248672 m0xb15c5e20 <at> rrdPlugin.c:2059]
Jun  3 09:33:14 home ntop[7033]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called 'rrd_update' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937248672 m0xb15c5e20 <at> rrdPlugin.c:2318]
Jun  3 09:33:14 home ntop[7033]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937248672 m0xb15c5e20 <at> rrdPlugin.c:2426]

Q3 - I'm still not sure how to get a report from ntop/rrd that shows my internal home devices (PCs, XBox etc) usage of internet bandwidth Per Day / Per IP / Per up/down traffic?   I don't suppose you know how to get this information from the ntop/rrd data logs, albeit in table form if a graph is not available?

Thanks very much
Greg


On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Ola Lundqvist <opal <at> debian.org> wrote:
Hi Greg

Try this:

export LANG=C

And then start ntop.

Best regards,

// Ola

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:33:28AM +1000, Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting an error trying to run RRD under NTOP.  I start NTOP
> capturing, however as soon as I went to the RRD plugin menu in NTOP
> and clicked on DESCRIBE I start getting the following in the logs?
> Below the log info I put some more background.  Any suggestions?
> Thanks.  (I tried the user list but no luck)
>
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]: NPS(1):
> Started thread for network packet sniffing [eth0]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t3038989216]: SFP:
> Fingerprint scan thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t3028499360]: SIH: Idle
> host scan thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]:
> NPS(eth0): pcapDispatch thread starting [p22848]
> May 30 12:28:58 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2965236640]:
> NPS(eth0): pcapDispatch thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2937568160]: RRD:
> Started thread for throughput data collection
> May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2975726496]: RRD: Data
> collection thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2937568160]: RRD:
> Throughput data collection: Thread starting [p22848]
> May 30 12:29:08 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2937568160]: RRD:
> Throughput data collection: Thread running [p22848]
> May 30 12:31:46 home sshd(pam_unix)[22807]: session closed for user root
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   EPIPE during sending of page to web client
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   RRD: Shutting down, locking mutex
> (may block for a little while)
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   RRD: Locked mutex, continuing shutdown
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2986539936]: RRD:
> killThread(rrdThread) succeeded
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2986539936]: RRD:
> killThread(rrdTrafficThread) succeeded
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   THREADMGMT[t2986539936]: RRD:
> Plugin shutdown continuing
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   RRD: Thanks for using the rrdPlugin
> May 30 12:33:44 home ntop[22848]:   RRD: Done
> May 30 12:33:48 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2050]
> May 30 12:33:48 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2059]
> May 30 12:33:48 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_update' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2318]
> May 30 12:33:48 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2426]
> May 30 12:33:58 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2050]
> May 30 12:33:58 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2059]
> May 30 12:33:58 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_update' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2318]
> May 30 12:33:58 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2426]
> May 30 12:34:08 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2050]
> May 30 12:34:08 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2059]
> May 30 12:34:08 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_update' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2318]
> May 30 12:34:08 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2426]
> May 30 12:34:18 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_last' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2050]
> May 30 12:34:18 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2059]
> May 30 12:34:18 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** accessMutex() called
> 'rrd_update' with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2318]
> May 30 12:34:18 home ntop[22848]:   **ERROR** releaseMutex() called
> with an UN-INITIALIZED mutex [t2937568160 m0xb1602e20
> <at> rrdPlugin.c:2426]
>
> ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
> ======================
>
> * I'm running http://www.clarkconnect.com/  as my linux distro
> (firewall box).  It is based on CentOS 4.x (which relates to Redhat I
> think?)
>
> * I installed via the following:
>    apt-get -f -u install
> ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/download.fedo...-3.el4.i386.rpm
>    apt-get -f -u install
> ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/download.fedo...-3.el4.i386.rpm
>    apt-get -f -u install
> ftp://linuxsoft.cern.ch/dag/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/ntop-3.3-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm
>
> * I did have problems with some directories so I have run chmod 0777 *
> across some directories (as they were owned by "nobody")
>
> * I did try try deleting all files in eth0 directory
>
>
> Thanks in advance.  Let me know if I can post any additional info to help.
>
> Greg
> _______________________________________________
> Ntop-dev mailing list
> Ntop-dev <at> unipi.it
> http://listgateway.unipi.it/mailman/listinfo/ntop-dev
>

--
 --------------------- Ola Lundqvist ---------------------------
/  opal <at> debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  ola <at> inguza.com                      654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  http://inguza.com/                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36  4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9 /
 ---------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Ntop-dev mailing list
Ntop-dev <at> unipi.it
http://listgateway.unipi.it/mailman/listinfo/ntop-dev

_______________________________________________
Ntop-dev mailing list
Ntop-dev <at> unipi.it
http://listgateway.unipi.it/mailman/listinfo/ntop-dev

Gmane