Fwd: Hello

Subj: Hello

Hello my name is Michael L. Richardson I just signed up on this list and am 
introducing myself.  I am the secretary of NYLXS (New York Linux Scene) 
www.nylxs.com  our server is down at the moment (it got fried while being 
reconfigured) should be up shortly.   I read the LFS book about a year ago 
and got sidetracked.  I plan to put LFS on my laptop.  HP Pavilion ZE 
4420US  Athlon XP 1.8Gz, 1 GB Ram, 80 Gig HD, + - RW DVD (the one that came 
with it broke). 

--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

nadav vinik | 7 Aug 21:48 2006
Picon

Why don't you add the 6.2 version to the LFS counter???

I wait for this more than a day and meantime I miss the 17600 counter place.

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1859
--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-book
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Tim van der Molen | 7 Aug 22:36 2006
Picon

Re: Why don't you add the 6.2 version to the LFS counter???

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:48:17 +0200, nadav vinik wrote:
> I wait for this more than a day and meantime I miss the 17600 counter place.
> 
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1859

You did well. Shame on those editors who think their free time is better
spent on fixing bugs in the 6.2 release. Good thing you filed a bug
report for this outrageous shortcoming.

All the trouble you had to go through building your own Linux system --
only to find out your favourite counter place has already been taken.
Oh, the horror.
--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Elliott Jeyaseelan | 10 Aug 15:53 2006

LFS 6.1 and kernel 2.4.xx


Hello,

Is it possible to use an older kernel such as 2.4 series with the LFS 6.1 or
LFS 6.2?

Would I need to compile the kernel using the SAME gcc used for compiling the
various tools for LFS 6.x series OR it doesn't matter??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ej

--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Brandon Peirce | 11 Aug 14:13 2006
Picon

RE: LFS 6.1 and kernel 2.4.xx

Elliott Jeyaseelan wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is it possible to use an older kernel such as 2.4 series with the LFS 6.1 
>or
>LFS 6.2?

If you are asking that question because your current host system runs a 2.4
kernel and you hope to avoid the challenge of building a 2.6 kernel before
starting LFS, then the answer is absolutely no way. Use the live CD instead.

If have a fair bit of experience building LFS and want to make a _major_
deviation from the book and a serious challenge, it should be more-or-less
possible. But don't expect a lot of help on that.

I'm not sure you mean to use the older kernel during the build, or to 
actually
install a 2.4 kernel at the end when you make the new LFS system bootable,
or both. It makes a difference to the answer....

Udev (ch 6.55) absolutely requires a 2.6 kernel to run and I suspect it 
would
not build properly under a 2.4 kernel; you would have to throw that out and
make static device nodes under /dev. Adjust bootscripts as necessary.

Secondly, there was an issue with recent Glibc compiled against 2.6 kernel
headers and running under a 2.4 kernel. Something about a new signal.
I think it was Bash that was unusable under those conditions. The details
fell through one of my memory leaks but there is a patch available 
somewhere...
(Continue reading)

Nico Berndt | 17 Aug 14:45 2006
Picon

test

hi :)

--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Elliott Jeyaseelan | 17 Aug 17:14 2006

RE: test

Hello

> -----Original Message-----
> From: lfs-chat-bounces <at> linuxfromscratch.org 
> [mailto:lfs-chat-bounces <at> linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of 
> Nico Berndt
> Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:46 AM
> To: lfs-chat <at> linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: test
> 
> 
> hi :)
> 
> -- 
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
> FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
> Unsubscribe: See the above information page
> 
> 

--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

greg | 18 Aug 03:36 2006

Re: test

hello

-----Original message-----
From: Nico Berndt groups <at> komeda-berlin.de
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:10:02 -0400
To: lfs-chat <at> linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: test

> hi :)
> 
> -- 
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
> FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
> Unsubscribe: See the above information page

--

-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

greg | 18 Aug 03:36 2006

RE: test

hello
-----Original message-----
From: "Elliott Jeyaseelan" guru <at> iaw.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:14:29 -0400
To: "'General chatter list'" lfs-chat <at> linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: RE: test

> Hello
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: lfs-chat-bounces <at> linuxfromscratch.org 
> > [mailto:lfs-chat-bounces <at> linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of 
> > Nico Berndt
> > Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:46 AM
> > To: lfs-chat <at> linuxfromscratch.org
> > Subject: test
> > 
> > 
> > hi :)
> > 
> > -- 
> > http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
> > FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
> > Unsubscribe: See the above information page
> > 
> > 
> 
> 
> -- 
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
(Continue reading)

cedric | 18 Aug 07:49 2006
Picon

Re: test

Hi There!

On Friday 18 August 2006 03:36, greg wrote:
> hello
> -----Original message-----
> From: "Elliott Jeyaseelan" guru <at> iaw.com
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:14:29 -0400
> To: "'General chatter list'" lfs-chat <at> linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: RE: test
>
> > Hello
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: lfs-chat-bounces <at> linuxfromscratch.org
> > > [mailto:lfs-chat-bounces <at> linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of
> > > Nico Berndt
> > > Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:46 AM
> > > To: lfs-chat <at> linuxfromscratch.org
> > > Subject: test
> > >
> > >
> > > hi :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
> > > FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/
> > > Unsubscribe: See the above information page
> >
> > --
> > http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-chat
(Continue reading)


Gmane