A couple of proposals
Jeremy Utley <jerutley <at> gmail.com>
2006-05-28 02:07:07 GMT
OK, we're coming close to release time for CLFS 1.0. I'm aware we're
waiting on the new Binutils 2.17, but I'd like to propose that we go
into a version freeze right now for all but 2 things:
1) Binutils 2.17
2) Further stable releases in the 2.6.16.x kernel tree.
This way, we can start to really flesh things out, without the worry
of constant package upgrades, and prepare ourselves for the 1.0
release. I'd like to propose a target CLFS 1.0 release date of June
30, with an RC1 coming within a few days of the binutils 2.17 release.
I think this is very doable.
Second proposal will be a little more controversial, but I think it
warrants serious consideration. We all know that by the time a new
release of a book is made, the previous one is quite stale. So, I'd
like to see a "release manager" nominated for the 1.0 series, who's
sole purpose would be to take incremental updates of non-toolchain
packages, and incorporate them into the stable tree where it's
possible. Any updates like this should be cases where no substantial
build changes are necessary in the book. Update releases would be
done regularly ( I was thinking monthly), and since the changes would
be so minor, there wouldn't need to be much testing. This doesn't
have to be a permanent thing either - I propose we try it for the 1.0
release, then revisit it for CLFS 2.0 to determine if it was really
useful and should continue.
What you guys think?