appzer0 | 10 Oct 00:56 2010
Picon

Re: CBLFS: after CLFS

Hi,

Some news about my experience with CLFS and what I've learnt.

> Builds are done with fakeroot, not to spam host with errors of 
> manipulations or unfortunate builds. Only the packages that use 
> 'mknod' have to be run by root (there is 2 such packages).
No more packages building with root, device nodes are now created in 
post-install mode (root), allowing all packages to be created with fakeroot.
> So the system works (almost) like a charm. Still, some questions are 
> still in my mind.
>
> The python packages (files in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages): My 
> /usr/lib{,64}/python2.6/site-packages are not the same:
> (...)
>
> Do I need to have the same contents in both dirs? I suppose so. So 
> it's gonna complicate the scripts over a bit more, I guess. Like, 
> moving the 32-bit python packages in a safe place before 64-bit builds.
> I would really appreciate directions on about how to specify 
> 'site-packages' dirs to build systems or if I have to manually put the 
> files in the right places after the build.
Simply, there were bugs in build systems from certain packages. 
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages and /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages 
now have both the same content.

I found out that some 32-bit libs were overwritten by 64-bit ones, it 
was kinda lot of work to figure them all out. Believe me, a full 
multilib linux system is NOT the easy way to learn to build a distro. :)

(Continue reading)

kevin631012 | 14 Oct 12:27 2010
Picon

it is not able to boot after -- Building the Basic Tools

Hi All ,
I try to build  SH's clfs . what I did is use 

file-5.04
gmp-5.0.1
mpc-0.8.2
mpfr-3.0.0
ppl-0.10.2
cloog-ppl-0.15.9
binutils-2.20.51
gcc-4.2.4-67
glibc-2.10.1-63

to build Temporary System as

# Binutils-2.18
# GCC-4.2.4
# Ncurses-5.6
# Bash-3.2
# Bzip2-1.0.4
# Coreutils-6.9
# Diffutils-2.8.7
# Findutils-4.2.32
# Zlib-1.2.3
# File-4.23
# Gawk-3.1.6
# Gettext-0.17
# Grep-2.5.3
# Gzip-1.3.12
# Make-3.81
(Continue reading)

appzer0 | 14 Oct 13:46 2010
Picon

Re: it is not able to boot after -- Building the Basic Tools

On 14/10/2010 12:27, kevin631012 wrote:
> Hi All ,
> I try to build  SH's clfs . what I did is use
>
> file-5.04
> gmp-5.0.1
> mpc-0.8.2
> mpfr-3.0.0
> ppl-0.10.2
> cloog-ppl-0.15.9
> binutils-2.20.51
> gcc-4.2.4-67
> glibc-2.10.1-63
>
> to build Temporary System as
>
> # Binutils-2.18
> # GCC-4.2.4
> # Ncurses-5.6
> # Bash-3.2
> # Bzip2-1.0.4
> # Coreutils-6.9
> # Diffutils-2.8.7
> # Findutils-4.2.32
> # Zlib-1.2.3
> # File-4.23
> # Gawk-3.1.6
> # Gettext-0.17
> # Grep-2.5.3
> # Gzip-1.3.12
(Continue reading)

kevin631012 | 17 Oct 14:42 2010
Picon

Re: it is not able to boot after -- Building the Basic Tools


> > > Hi All ,
> > > I try to build  SH's clfs . what I did is use
> > >
> > > file-5.04
> > > gmp-5.0.1
> > > mpc-0.8.2
> > > mpfr-3.0.0
> > > ppl-0.10.2
> > > cloog-ppl-0.15.9
> > > binutils-2.20.51
> > > gcc-4.2.4-67
> > > glibc-2.10.1-63
> > >
> > > to build Temporary System as
> > >
> > > # Binutils-2.18
> > > # GCC-4.2.4
> > > # Ncurses-5.6
> > > # Bash-3.2
> > > # Bzip2-1.0.4
> > > # Coreutils-6.9
> > > # Diffutils-2.8.7
> > > # Findutils-4.2.32
> > > # Zlib-1.2.3
> > > # File-4.23
> > > # Gawk-3.1.6
> > > # Gettext-0.17
> > > # Grep-2.5.3
> > > # Gzip-1.3.12
(Continue reading)

kevin631012 | 18 Oct 11:31 2010
Picon

Re: it is not able to boot after -- Building the Basic Tools

Hi All,
I have been tring for days , now the rootfs I build is able to boot up now . but what I did is to copy all of
libraried in /tools/lib which I build in chapter 6 and 7 to /lib . 
I wonder why I wrote /tools/lib in ld.so.conf . it suppose to find needed libraried under /tools/lib , isn't
it ? why do I need to copy those libraries to lib ? 
It doesn't make sense , does it ?

Thanks
BRs

Kevin 

> 
> > > > Hi All ,
> > > > I try to build  SH's clfs . what I did is
> use
> > > >
> > > > file-5.04
> > > > gmp-5.0.1
> > > > mpc-0.8.2
> > > > mpfr-3.0.0
> > > > ppl-0.10.2
> > > > cloog-ppl-0.15.9
> > > > binutils-2.20.51
> > > > gcc-4.2.4-67
> > > > glibc-2.10.1-63
> > > >
> > > > to build Temporary System as
> > > >
> > > > # Binutils-2.18
(Continue reading)

appzer0 | 18 Oct 16:13 2010
Picon

Re: it is not able to boot after -- Building the Basic Tools

On 18/10/2010 11:31, kevin631012 wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have been tring for days , now the rootfs I build is able to boot up now . but what I did is to copy all of
libraried in /tools/lib which I build in chapter 6 and 7 to /lib .
> I wonder why I wrote /tools/lib in ld.so.conf . it suppose to find needed libraried under /tools/lib ,
isn't it ? why do I need to copy those libraries to lib ?
> It doesn't make sense , does it ?
>    
Please avoid top-posting, it makes the discussion less understandable.

I don't know what you've done in details, but what I'm sure about is 
that you got a "final" system with binaries pointing towards /tools, 
which is bad IMHO. You should have final binaries in /bin, /usr/bin and 
libs in /lib, /usr/lib. My advice is that you really should stick to the 
method in the clfs book to avoid messing up your system.

My other advice is to NEVER ever copy files from host to the clfs root 
fs (binaries, libs), you should already have got them built.

Now you say your system boots and works or seems to. If you really can 
compile with that system then try to rebuild any incomplete package, 
avoiding critical package like glibc binutils gcc, etc.

Why not restarting over to master the techniques ? :)
>>>>> Hi All ,
>>>>> I try to build  SH's clfs . what I did is
>>>>>            
>> use
>>      
>>>>> file-5.04
(Continue reading)

kess.alexander | 18 Oct 23:08 2010
Picon

Glibc 2.7 issue x86_64

Good day,

I am new to CLFS, and have encountered some problems. I have run a search on it, but was unable to find anything.

Basically, I am at chapter 5. Part 5.8 Glibc-2.7.  I am building on a i686 host and building for a x86_64 arch.
On preparing Glibc for compiling:

BUILD_CC="gcc" CC="${CLFS_TARGET}-ranlib" CFLAGS="-march=$(cut -d- -f1 <<< $CLFS_TARGET)
-mtune=generic -g -02" ../glibc-2.7/configure --prefix=/tools --host=${CLFS_TARGET} --build=${CLFS_HOST}...

But once issued, I have an error:

X86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc: unrecognized option '-02'
Conftest.c:1: error: bad value (x86_64) for -march= switch...

I am not sure if this is enough info. Any help is well needed and welcome.

Thank you in advance
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
appzer0 | 18 Oct 23:13 2010
Picon

Re: Glibc 2.7 issue x86_64

On 18/10/2010 23:08, kess.alexander <at> gmail.com wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I am new to CLFS, and have encountered some problems. I have run a search on it, but was unable to find anything.
>
> Basically, I am at chapter 5. Part 5.8 Glibc-2.7.  I am building on a i686 host and building for a x86_64 arch.
On preparing Glibc for compiling:
>
> BUILD_CC="gcc" CC="${CLFS_TARGET}-ranlib" CFLAGS="-march=$(cut -d- -f1<<<  $CLFS_TARGET)
-mtune=generic -g -02" ../glibc-2.7/configure --prefix=/tools --host=${CLFS_TARGET} --build=${CLFS_HOST}...
>
> But once issued, I have an error:
>
> X86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc: unrecognized option '-02'
> Conftest.c:1: error: bad value (x86_64) for -march= switch...
>
> I am not sure if this is enough info. Any help is well needed and welcome.
>    
I guess you typed -02 and not -O2. It is an "O" like in "Oblivion", not 
a zero ;) Paste the commands, it is safer.

BTW why are you building such old releases? Latest CLFS has eglibc 2.12...

appzer0
kess.alexander | 18 Oct 23:37 2010
Picon

Re: Glibc 2.7 issue x86_64

Lol, thanx for that, I am using virtual box and lfs live cd, I am unable to copy past the commands. I still get an
error thou. These are the 2 errors I get (in the output): 
Configure: 3288: x86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc -V >&5
X86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc: '-V' option must have argument
Configure: 3291: $? = 1
Configure: 3295: checking for suffix of object files
Configure: 3321: x86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc -c -march=x86_64 -mtune=generic -g -o2 conftest.c >&5
Conftest.c:1: error: bad value (x86_64) for -march= switch
Configure:3324: $? = 1

Thank you
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

-----Original Message-----
From: appzer0 <appzer0 <at> free.fr>
Sender: clfs-support-bounces <at> lists.cross-lfs.orgDate: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:13:36 
To: <clfs-support <at> lists.cross-lfs.org>
Reply-To: CLFS Support <clfs-support <at> lists.cross-lfs.org>
Subject: Re: [Clfs-support] Glibc 2.7 issue x86_64

On 18/10/2010 23:08, kess.alexander <at> gmail.com wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I am new to CLFS, and have encountered some problems. I have run a search on it, but was unable to find anything.
>
> Basically, I am at chapter 5. Part 5.8 Glibc-2.7.  I am building on a i686 host and building for a x86_64 arch.
On preparing Glibc for compiling:
>
> BUILD_CC="gcc" CC="${CLFS_TARGET}-ranlib" CFLAGS="-march=$(cut -d- -f1<<<  $CLFS_TARGET)
-mtune=generic -g -02" ../glibc-2.7/configure --prefix=/tools --host=${CLFS_TARGET} --build=${CLFS_HOST}...
(Continue reading)

Eric Pilger | 19 Oct 01:19 2010

Re: Glibc 2.7 issue x86_64

Can't speak for the rest without the original command line, but you are still mistyping the optimization
argument. You are using 
a lower case 'o', when you need an upper case 'O', ie.)

-O2

You will seriously want to find some way to cut and paste to get through this. Try building command scripts on
another machine 
and copy them over on a USB stick, for instance.

On 10/18/2010 11:37 AM, kess.alexander <at> gmail.com wrote:
> Lol, thanx for that, I am using virtual box and lfs live cd, I am unable to copy past the commands. I still get
an error thou. These are the 2 errors I get (in the output):
> Configure: 3288: x86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc -V>&5
> X86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc: '-V' option must have argument
> Configure: 3291: $? = 1
> Configure: 3295: checking for suffix of object files
> Configure: 3321: x86_64-clfs-linux-gnu-gcc -c -march=x86_64 -mtune=generic -g -o2 conftest.c>&5
> Conftest.c:1: error: bad value (x86_64) for -march= switch
> Configure:3324: $? = 1
>
> Thank you
> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: appzer0<appzer0 <at> free.fr>
> Sender: clfs-support-bounces <at> lists.cross-lfs.orgDate: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:13:36
> To:<clfs-support <at> lists.cross-lfs.org>
> Reply-To: CLFS Support<clfs-support <at> lists.cross-lfs.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clfs-support] Glibc 2.7 issue x86_64
(Continue reading)


Gmane