Stephen Rothwell | 1 Jul 06:57 2009
Picon
Picon

linux-next: manual merge of the kvm tree with Linus' tree

Hi Avi,

Today's linux-next merge of the kvm tree got a conflict in fs/eventfd.c
between commit 133890103b9de08904f909995973e4b5c08a780e ("eventfd:
revised interface and cleanups") from Linus' tree and commit
28ddf0aebbf546e56efd1951725d5457ce1ebf98 ("eventfd: Allow waiters to be
notified about the eventfd file* going away") from the kvm tree.

Overlapping changes.  I fixed it up (see below), but don't know if this
is the correct fix.

--

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr <at> canb.auug.org.au

diff --cc fs/eventfd.c
index 31d12de,72f5f8d..0000000
--- a/fs/eventfd.c
+++ b/fs/eventfd.c
 <at>  <at>  <at>  -105,8 -63,13 +105,13  <at>  <at>  <at>  static int eventfd_release(struct inod
  {
  	struct eventfd_ctx *ctx = file->private_data;

- 	wake_up_poll(&ctx->wqh, POLLHUP);
+ 	/*
+ 	 * No need to hold the lock here, since we are on the file cleanup
+ 	 * path and the ones still attached to the wait queue will be
+ 	 * serialized by wake_up_locked_poll().
+ 	 */
+ 	wake_up_locked_poll(&ctx->wqh, POLLHUP);
(Continue reading)

Stephen Rothwell | 1 Jul 07:37 2009
Picon
Picon

linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree

Hi Jens,

Today's linux-next merge of the block tree got a conflict in
mm/page-writeback.c between commit
d7831a0bdf06b9f722b947bb0c205ff7d77cebd8 ("mm: prevent balance_dirty_pages
() from doing too much work") from Linus' tree and commit
83f866f06c6d0266330e1631f4644ba6a63e6925 ("writeback: switch to per-bdi
threads for flushing data") from the block tree.

Context changes.  I fixed it up (see below) but am not sure if this is
the correct fix.
--

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr <at> canb.auug.org.au

diff --cc mm/page-writeback.c
index 7687879,7b87d10..0000000
--- a/mm/page-writeback.c
+++ b/mm/page-writeback.c
 <at>  <at>  <at>  -541,12 -527,9 +527,12  <at>  <at>  <at>  static void balance_dirty_pages(struct 
  		 * filesystems (i.e. NFS) in which data may have been
  		 * written to the server's write cache, but has not yet
  		 * been flushed to permanent storage.
 +		 * Only move pages to writeback if this bdi is over its
 +		 * threshold otherwise wait until the disk writes catch
 +		 * up.
  		 */
 -		if (bdi_nr_reclaimable) {
 +		if (bdi_nr_reclaimable > bdi_thresh) {
- 			writeback_inodes(&wbc);
(Continue reading)

Stephen Rothwell | 1 Jul 08:00 2009
Picon
Picon

linux-next: boot failure

Hi Eric,

next-20090630 failed to boot (on PowerPC Power5/6 machines):

calling  .audit_watch_init+0x0/0x80  <at>  1
Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address 0xffffffffffffffff
Faulting instruction address: 0xc00000000008b440
cpu 0x0: Vector: 300 (Data Access) at [c0000000be683990]
    pc: c00000000008b440: .srcu_read_lock+0x20/0x40
    lr: c0000000001607cc: .fsnotify_recalc_global_mask+0x2c/0xa0
    sp: c0000000be683c10
   msr: 8000000000009032
   dar: ffffffffffffffff
 dsisr: 40010000
  current = 0xc0000000be67e000
  paca    = 0xc00000000093b200
    pid   = 1, comm = swapper
enter ? for help
[link register   ] c0000000001607cc .fsnotify_recalc_global_mask+0x2c/0xa0
[c0000000be683c10] c0000000be683ca0 (unreliable)
[c0000000be683ca0] c000000000160bc0 .fsnotify_obtain_group+0x1e0/0x260
[c0000000be683d60] c0000000007879e4 .audit_watch_init+0x34/0x80
[c0000000be683de0] c00000000000947c .do_one_initcall+0x6c/0x1e0
[c0000000be683ee0] c00000000076fd6c .kernel_init+0x23c/0x2c0
[c0000000be683f90] c00000000002a9bc .kernel_thread+0x54/0x70

next-20090629 was fine.  The commits in 0630 and not in 0629 (from the
fsnotify tree) are:

      Audit: clean up the audit_watch split
(Continue reading)

Jens Axboe | 1 Jul 08:59 2009
Picon

Re: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree

On Wed, Jul 01 2009, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Jens,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the block tree got a conflict in
> mm/page-writeback.c between commit
> d7831a0bdf06b9f722b947bb0c205ff7d77cebd8 ("mm: prevent balance_dirty_pages
> () from doing too much work") from Linus' tree and commit
> 83f866f06c6d0266330e1631f4644ba6a63e6925 ("writeback: switch to per-bdi
> threads for flushing data") from the block tree.
> 
> Context changes.  I fixed it up (see below) but am not sure if this is
> the correct fix.
> -- 
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell                    sfr <at> canb.auug.org.au
> 
> diff --cc mm/page-writeback.c
> index 7687879,7b87d10..0000000
> --- a/mm/page-writeback.c
> +++ b/mm/page-writeback.c
>  <at>  <at>  <at>  -541,12 -527,9 +527,12  <at>  <at>  <at>  static void balance_dirty_pages(struct 
>   		 * filesystems (i.e. NFS) in which data may have been
>   		 * written to the server's write cache, but has not yet
>   		 * been flushed to permanent storage.
>  +		 * Only move pages to writeback if this bdi is over its
>  +		 * threshold otherwise wait until the disk writes catch
>  +		 * up.
>   		 */
>  -		if (bdi_nr_reclaimable) {
>  +		if (bdi_nr_reclaimable > bdi_thresh) {
(Continue reading)

Davide Libenzi | 1 Jul 09:10 2009

Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kvm tree with Linus' tree

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi Avi,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the kvm tree got a conflict in fs/eventfd.c
> between commit 133890103b9de08904f909995973e4b5c08a780e ("eventfd:
> revised interface and cleanups") from Linus' tree and commit
> 28ddf0aebbf546e56efd1951725d5457ce1ebf98 ("eventfd: Allow waiters to be
> notified about the eventfd file* going away") from the kvm tree.
> 
> Overlapping changes.  I fixed it up (see below), but don't know if this
> is the correct fix.
> 
> -- 
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell                    sfr <at> canb.auug.org.au
> 
> diff --cc fs/eventfd.c
> index 31d12de,72f5f8d..0000000
> --- a/fs/eventfd.c
> +++ b/fs/eventfd.c
>  <at>  <at>  <at>  -105,8 -63,13 +105,13  <at>  <at>  <at>  static int eventfd_release(struct inod
>   {
>   	struct eventfd_ctx *ctx = file->private_data;
>   
> - 	wake_up_poll(&ctx->wqh, POLLHUP);
> + 	/*
> + 	 * No need to hold the lock here, since we are on the file cleanup
> + 	 * path and the ones still attached to the wait queue will be
> + 	 * serialized by wake_up_locked_poll().
(Continue reading)

Stephen Rothwell | 1 Jul 09:19 2009
Picon
Picon

linux-next: manual merge of the percpu tree with Linus' tree

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the percpu tree got a conflict in
arch/alpha/include/asm/percpu.h between commit
b01e8dc34379f4ba2f454390e340a025edbaaa7e ("alpha: fix percpu build
breakage") from Linus' tree and commit
6088464cf1ae9fb3d2ccc0ec5feb3f5b971098d8 ("alpha: kill unnecessary __used
attribute in PER_CPU_ATTRIBUTES") from the percpu tree.

The latter just removes what the former changed, so I used the percpu
tree version of this file.
--

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr <at> canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/
Stephen Rothwell | 1 Jul 09:25 2009
Picon
Picon

linux-next: manual merge of the percpu tree with Linus' tree

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the percpu tree got a conflict in
include/linux/percpu-defs.h between commit
b01e8dc34379f4ba2f454390e340a025edbaaa7e ("alpha: fix percpu build
breakage") from Linus' tree and commit
7c756e6e19e71f0327760d8955f7077118ebb2b1 ("percpu: implement optional
weak percpu definitions") from the percpu tree.

The latter seems to subsume the former changes, so I just used the percpu
tree version of this file.
--

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr <at> canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/
Stephen Rothwell | 1 Jul 10:39 2009
Picon
Picon

linux-next: Tree for July 1

Hi all,

Changes since 20090630:

Dropped tree: sfi (build problems)

This tree fails to build for powerpc allyesconfig.

The kvm tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.

The rr tree lost a conflict and a build failure.

The block tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.

The percpu tree gained 2 conflicts against Linus' tree.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have created today's linux-next tree at
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
(patches at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/sfr/linux-next/).  If you
are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
old one.  You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on the wiki
(see below).

You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
file in the source.  There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
in the Next directory.  Between each merge, the tree was built with
(Continue reading)

Sachin Sant | 1 Jul 13:52 2009
Picon

Re: linux-next: boot failure

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> next-20090629 was fine.  The commits in 0630 and not in 0629 (from the
> fsnotify tree) are:
>
>       Audit: clean up the audit_watch split
>       audit: convert audit watches to use fsnotify instead of inotify
>       audit: redo audit watch locking and refcnt in light of fsnotify
>       audit: do not get and put just to free a watch
>       fsnotify: duplicate fsnotify_mark_entry data between 2 marks
>       fsnotify: allow addition of duplicate fsnotify marks
>       audit: reimplement audit_trees using fsnotify rather than inotify
>       inotify: deprecate the inotify kernel interface
>   
Stephen / Eric,

I too am facing similar issue on both Power and x86.
Culprit seems to be 2nd patch in the above list.

commit e1b79967e2b29839d16c12b534597a15d8630fc4
audit: convert audit watches to use fsnotify instead of inotify

I wasn't able to remove only patch 2 because of dependencies
on other patches. After i reverted patches 2 to 7 in the above
list, i was able to boot the machine. Then i applied patch 2
and the machine failed to boot.

Thanks
-Sachin

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Alexander Beregalov | 1 Jul 14:07 2009
Picon

Re: next-20090630: audit/fsnotify build failure

Hi Eric

Another problem today (0701)

kernel/auditfilter.c: In function 'audit_data_to_entry':
kernel/auditfilter.c:501: error: expected expression before '{' token
kernel/auditfilter.c: In function 'audit_add_rule':
kernel/auditfilter.c:891: error: expected expression before '{' token

CONFIG_AUDIT_WATCH is not set

Gmane