Robin Bowes | 1 Nov 11:12 2010

Re: Perc6/i does not want to upgrade firmware. suggestions?

On 31/10/10 22:12, Arno van der Veen wrote:
> <Jeff_Reisch <at> Dell.com> wrote:
> 
>> Guys,
>>
>> Just an FYI. I work in support , and if you modify the scripts , you
>> risk damaging your data , and do u think your firms would appreciate
>> your calling us , with a severity 1 , and at a data loss ?
>>
>> You risk warranty , as if you try to work around things , its not
>> supported.
>>
>> What would make more sense , is a constructive email , with precise
>> actions , like what you want to change , why , your hardware config ,
>> etc etc , and if it made sense , it could be reviewed and possibly
>> actioned .
>>
>> I am saying that valid feedback , with precise details , can be fed
>> back to product support.
>>
>> Thanks for listening
>> jeff

Jeff,

I have done just that. I reported this issue several months ago. I
opened a ticket with support about it. But it's still not resolved.

I share Tim Small's sentiment:

(Continue reading)

Drew Weaver | 1 Nov 15:18 2010

PE 2900-III 'Rejecting I/O offline devices' Perc 6 CentOS 5.5

Hi,

 

We have a CentOS 5.5 server that has two disks that are 'not raided' connected to the backplane.

 

Dell support told us to create 1 disk RAID-0 volumes when we need to do this since there is no way to just have the drive pass through (like the SAS controllers do).

 

I have noticed that a lot of times when we do this it seems like there are problems with systems locking up with:

 

"Rejecting I/O to offline devices"...

 

We have to reboot the server to get it to come back.

 

The drives don't go orange or anything the OS just has a freak out and has to be rebooted to recover.

 

Anyone seen/fixed this before?

 

thanks,

-Drew

 

 

 

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq
Pavel Mateja | 1 Nov 15:44 2010
Picon

Re: PE 2900-III 'Rejecting I/O offline devices' Perc 6 CentOS 5.5

> Hi,

Hi,

> We have a CentOS 5.5 server that has two disks that are 'not raided'
> connected to the backplane.

We are using debian stable.

> Dell support told us to create 1 disk RAID-0 volumes when we need to do
> this since there is no way to just have the drive pass through (like the
> SAS controllers do).

We are running RAID1 on PERC 6/i in PE 2950.

> I have noticed that a lot of times when we do this it seems like there are
> problems with systems locking up with:
> 
> "Rejecting I/O to offline devices"...
> 
> We have to reboot the server to get it to come back.
> 
> The drives don't go orange or anything the OS just has a freak out and has
> to be rebooted to recover.
> 
> Anyone seen/fixed this before?

Yes, we had same problem. RAID controller was replaced by Dell (twice :).
--

-- 
Pavel Mateja

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Jeffrey_L_Mendoza | 1 Nov 15:47 2010
Picon

RE: Perc6/i does not want to upgrade firmware. suggestions?

> Don't use Dell's buggy, overly-complex scripts (self-extracting shell 
> scripts, which then install RPMs - makes me feel nauseous just 
> thinking about the concept 

> Any self-respecting admin will *not* blindly run shell scripts *as root*
> which unpack a self-contained payload and perform actions which are not
> auditable in advance.
> 
> I'm glad that Dell provide firmware updates and support hardware updates
> under Linux, but really you could make the process an whole lot easier.
> 
> I personally mirror your repos and my firmware update process is
> something like:
> 
> yum install $(bootstrap_firmware)
> update_firmware --yes
> 
> Why do't you consider making that the "official" supported mechanism?
> 

Hi Tim and Robin,

I believe you're referring to the ".BIN" self-contained update package. Based on customer feedback on
this list and elsewhere, we made the yum-repo based firmware updates officially supported starting with
OM 6.2 in December 09.

Starting with this repository: "http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/OMSA_6.2/" firmware-tools
updates have been included. The OMSA/hardware repository is officially supported. The
community-supported firmware repository is out of date, now that firmware updates are included in the OM
repo. See here for more info: http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository

Arno,

I think I know what is going on here. Firmware-tools tries to find devices in two ways: Dell update modules,
and lspci.

It looks like you might not have a dell driver installed for your PERC 6. I am guessing this because the
firmware-updates.log shows the device name as: "01:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic
MegaRAID SAS 1078 (rev 04)" If the Dell driver were installed, firmware-tools would be able to talk to the
PERC card through the dell update module and get the dell name - PERC 6/i Integrated.

Because firmware-tools only knows of the device through its PCI ID, it does not know the current firmware
version, and tries to apply the update.

When the dell update module is run, it doesn't find any devices to update and returns no status:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><SVMExecution lang="en"><RebootRequired>0</RebootRequired></SVMExecution>

You should have a 'megaraid_sas' dkms driver rpm available to you in the dell repo. After installing that,
firmware-tools should report the current version and not suggest an upgrade is needed.

Thanks,
Jeff Mendoza

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Arno van der Veen | 1 Nov 16:25 2010
Picon

Re: Perc6/i does not want to upgrade firmware. suggestions?


tnx Jeffrey,
I'm checking it out at the moment..
I will give feedback as soon as I have.

But at quick look, it seems that the magaraid_sas is installed, but not
loaded..

I'll dive further into it.
i'll let it know.. tnx again.. this was helpfull.. :-)

> Arno,
> 
> I think I know what is going on here. Firmware-tools tries to find
> devices in two ways: Dell update modules, and lspci.
> 
> It looks like you might not have a dell driver installed for your
> PERC 6. I am guessing this because the firmware-updates.log shows the
> device name as: "01:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios
> Logic MegaRAID SAS 1078 (rev 04)" If the Dell driver were installed,
> firmware-tools would be able to talk to the PERC card through the
> dell update module and get the dell name - PERC 6/i Integrated.
> 
> Because firmware-tools only knows of the device through its PCI ID,
> it does not know the current firmware version, and tries to apply the
> update.
> 
> When the dell update module is run, it doesn't find any devices to
> update and returns no status: <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?><SVMExecution
> lang="en"><RebootRequired>0</RebootRequired></SVMExecution>
> 
> You should have a 'megaraid_sas' dkms driver rpm available to you in
> the dell repo. After installing that, firmware-tools should report
> the current version and not suggest an upgrade is needed.
> 
> Thanks,
> Jeff Mendoza
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
> Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
> https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
> Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Drew Weaver | 1 Nov 16:31 2010

RE: PE 2900-III 'Rejecting I/O offline devices' Perc 6 CentOS 5.5

I should mention we have never had this issue when we weren't running the servers with 1 Disk RAID-0 VDs.

We have hundreds of systems with RAID-1, etc that all work perfectly.

thanks,
-Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces <at> dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces <at> dell.com] On Behalf Of
Pavel Mateja
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 10:44 AM
To: linux-poweredge <at> dell.com
Subject: Re: PE 2900-III 'Rejecting I/O offline devices' Perc 6 CentOS 5.5

> Hi,

Hi,

> We have a CentOS 5.5 server that has two disks that are 'not raided'
> connected to the backplane.

We are using debian stable.

> Dell support told us to create 1 disk RAID-0 volumes when we need to do
> this since there is no way to just have the drive pass through (like the
> SAS controllers do).

We are running RAID1 on PERC 6/i in PE 2950.

> I have noticed that a lot of times when we do this it seems like there are
> problems with systems locking up with:
> 
> "Rejecting I/O to offline devices"...
> 
> We have to reboot the server to get it to come back.
> 
> The drives don't go orange or anything the OS just has a freak out and has
> to be rebooted to recover.
> 
> Anyone seen/fixed this before?

Yes, we had same problem. RAID controller was replaced by Dell (twice :).
--

-- 
Pavel Mateja

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Robin Bowes | 1 Nov 20:01 2010

Re: Perc6/i does not want to upgrade firmware. suggestions?

On 01/11/10 14:47, Jeffrey_L_Mendoza <at> Dell.com wrote:

> Hi Tim and Robin,
> 
> I believe you're referring to the ".BIN" self-contained update
> package. Based on customer feedback on this list and elsewhere, we
> made the yum-repo based firmware updates officially supported
> starting with OM 6.2 in December 09.
> 
> Starting with this repository:
> "http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/OMSA_6.2/" firmware-tools
> updates have been included. The OMSA/hardware repository is
> officially supported. The community-supported firmware repository is
> out of date, now that firmware updates are included in the OM repo.
> See here for more info:
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository

Jeff,

I am already using those repos, however they are not working for me.

Here's the output of "update_firmware --yes":

Running system inventory...

Searching storage directory for available BIOS updates...
Checking BIOS - 1.1.5
	Available: dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7
	Found Update: dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7
Checking MBD2147RC Firmware - d606
	Available: dell_dup_componentid_20513 - d606
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet rev 20 (eth1) - 5.0.9
	Available: pci_firmware(ven_0x14e4_dev_0x163b) - 5.0.12
	Found Update: pci_firmware(ven_0x14e4_dev_0x163b) - 5.0.12
Checking NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet rev 20 (eth0) - 5.0.9
	Available: pci_firmware(ven_0x14e4_dev_0x163b) - 5.0.12
	Found Update: pci_firmware(ven_0x14e4_dev_0x163b) - 5.0.12
Checking SAS/SATA Backplane 0:0 Backplane Firmware - 1.07
	Available: dell_dup_componentid_11204 - 1.07
	Available: dell_dup_componentid_11204 - 1.05
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking iDRAC6 - 1.54
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking PERC 6/i Adapter Controller 0 Firmware - 6.2.0-0013
	Available:
pci_firmware(ven_0x1000_dev_0x0060_subven_0x1028_subdev_0x1f0b) - 6.2.0-0013
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.
Checking System BIOS for PowerEdge R410 - 1.1.5
	Did not find a newer package to install that meets all installation checks.

Found firmware which needs to be updated.

Running updates...
-	Installing dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7Installation failed for
package: dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7
aborting update...

The error message from the low-level command was:

Could not parse output, bad xml for package: dell_dup_componentid_00159

And the last few lines of the output using --trace:

ENTER runLongProcess(<bound method IEInterface.install of
<dell_ft_ie_interface.ie_interface.IEInterface object at
0x2b1c3c043250>>, None, None, <function statusFunc at 0x2b1c3c042140>, )
ENTER run(<BackgroundWorker(Thread-1, started)>, )
/	Installing dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7ENTER
install(<dell_ft_ie_interface.ie_interface.IEInterface object at
0x2b1c3c043250>, )
hey, we are supposed to be installing now... :)
loading xml from: /usr/libexec/dell_dup/BIOS_NONE/PIEConfig.xml
loaded.
	Plugin command is biosie.bin -u update.xml
	Output file is update.xml
	Plugin timeout is 600
output from the cmd was:

EXCEPTION: Could not parse output, bad xml for package:
dell_dup_componentid_00159
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/firmwaretools/trace_decorator.py",
line 81, in trace
    result = func(*args, **kw)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dell_ft_ie_interface/ie_interface.py",
line 146, in install
    raise ExecutionError(message)
ExecutionError: Could not parse output, bad xml for package:
dell_dup_componentid_00159
LEAVE install --> 'EXCEPTION RAISED'

LEAVE run --> None

-	Installing dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7Could not parse output,
bad xml for package: dell_dup_componentid_00159
None
EXCEPTION: Could not parse output, bad xml for package:
dell_dup_componentid_00159
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/firmwaretools/trace_decorator.py",
line 81, in trace
    result = func(*args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/firmwaretools/pycompat.py",
line 177, in runLongProcess
    raise thread.exception
ExecutionError: Could not parse output, bad xml for package:
dell_dup_componentid_00159
LEAVE runLongProcess --> 'EXCEPTION RAISED'

Installation failed for package: dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7
aborting update...

The error message from the low-level command was:

Could not parse output, bad xml for package: dell_dup_componentid_00159
LEAVE updateFirmware --> None

LEAVE doCommand --> [0, 'Done']

LEAVE doCommands --> [0, 'Done']

Complete!
ENTER unlock(<cli.BaseCli object at 0x2b1c3b47b6d0>, )
LEAVE unlock --> None

Any idea where the problem is?

R.
--

-- 
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Drew Weaver | 1 Nov 20:30 2010

R415 doesn't work with x86 Linux?

Is there some kind of architecture limitation that makes the PowerEdge R415 not work with x86 versions of Linux?

 

For example both CentOS 5.5 and Fedora 13 x86 kernel panic when attempting to install.

 

It seems that CentOS 5.5 x86_64 works fine though.

 

Any thoughts?

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq
Jeffrey_L_Mendoza | 1 Nov 21:17 2010
Picon

RE: Perc6/i does not want to upgrade firmware. suggestions?

> I am already using those repos, however they are not working for me.
> 
> Here's the output of "update_firmware --yes":
...
> -	Installing dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7Installation failed
> for
> package: dell_dup_componentid_00159 - 1.4.7
> aborting update...
> 
> The error message from the low-level command was:
> 
> Could not parse output, bad xml for package: dell_dup_componentid_00159
...
> output from the cmd was:
> 
> EXCEPTION: Could not parse output, bad xml for package:
...
> Any idea where the problem is?

Yes, this has come up, and I've instructed people to try running the update module directly to check the
output. The problem is that the output from the underlying bios update module is blank. It should be xml.
I'm unable to debug the bios module. Official support should be able to raise this issue to someone who can.

-Jeff

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Shyam_Iyer | 1 Nov 21:21 2010
Picon

RE: R415 doesn't work with x86 Linux?

Do you have panic trace , screenshot and config details. ?  

 

-Shyam Iyer

 

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Drew Weaver
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 3:31 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: R415 doesn't work with x86 Linux?

 

Is there some kind of architecture limitation that makes the PowerEdge R415 not work with x86 versions of Linux?

 

For example both CentOS 5.5 and Fedora 13 x86 kernel panic when attempting to install.

 

It seems that CentOS 5.5 x86_64 works fine though.

 

Any thoughts?

_______________________________________________
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge <at> dell.com
https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-poweredge
Please read the FAQ at http://lists.us.dell.com/faq

Gmane