Curtis Napier | 1 Mar 01:15 2006
Picon

[Fwd: correction]

Thank you for your submission. Errors in documentation should be
reported to http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Documentation

Forwarded to the Documentation team.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: correction
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:46:00 -0500
From: Justin R Eylander <jeylande <at> cs.indiana.edu>
To: www <at> gentoo.org

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml#upgrade-3.3-to-3.4

under section 3, upgrading from Gcc 3.3 to 3.4 or greater:

all references to

# gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4

should probably read

# gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5
 or
# gcc-config YOUR-VERSION-HERE (e.g. # gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5).

-Justin R Eylander,
Happy Gentoo user

Marcelo Góes | 1 Mar 02:56 2006
Picon

Re: [Fwd: correction]

Fixed in cvs. I updated 3.4.4 references to 3.4.5 (now x86 stable) and
replicated the "substitute with your gcc version" warning throughout
the necessary codelists.

Commit message:

3.4.4->3.4.5, add "(Please substitute "i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5" with the GCC
 version and CHOST settings you've upgraded to:)" to all codelists that
have gcc-config in them. Reported by Justin R Eylander
<jeylande at cs dot indiana dot edu> via e-mail.

Cheers,
Marcelo

On 2/28/06, Curtis Napier <curtis119 <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
> Thank you for your submission. Errors in documentation should be
> reported to http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Documentation
>
> Forwarded to the Documentation team.
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: correction
> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:46:00 -0500
> From: Justin R Eylander <jeylande <at> cs.indiana.edu>
> To: www <at> gentoo.org
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml#upgrade-3.3-to-3.4
>
> under section 3, upgrading from Gcc 3.3 to 3.4 or greater:
>
(Continue reading)

Jan Kundrát | 1 Mar 12:49 2006
Picon

Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: gcc-upgrading.xml

Marcelo Goes wrote:
> vanquirius    06/03/01 01:54:04
> 
>   Modified:    xml/htdocs/doc/en gcc-upgrading.xml
>   Log:
>   3.4.4->3.4.5, add "(Please substitute "i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5" with the GCC
>    version and CHOST settings you've upgraded to:)" to all codelists that
>   have gcc-config in them. Reported by Justin R Eylander
>   <jeylande at cs dot indiana dot edu> via e-mail.

Hi,
I'm not sure if it was a lucky change :(, gcc-3.4.5 is not stable on all
arches:

jkt <at> slon ~ $ grep KEYWORDS /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.4.5*
/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.4.5-r1.ebuild:KEYWORDS="-* arm ~mips sh
~x86"
/usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.4.5.ebuild:KEYWORDS="-* ~amd64 ~arm
~hppa ~ia64 mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 sh sparc x86"

And BTW, <note>s mentioning the need to substitute the CHOST/version
stuff *were* already included so the present state of the guide tells it
twice. Could you please fix that?

Cheers,
-jkt

--

-- 
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
(Continue reading)

Marcelo Góes | 1 Mar 17:36 2006
Picon

Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: gcc-upgrading.xml

Hi,

On 3/1/06, Jan Kundrát <jkt <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not sure if it was a lucky change :(, gcc-3.4.5 is not stable on all
> arches:

3.4.5 may not be stable on all arches, but it is in x86. Our example
is for an i686 compiler, so whomever is not using x86 will have to
adapt the code anyway. Now it at least works for someone with a
copy+paste, as opposed to not working for anyone.

> And BTW, <note>s mentioning the need to substitute the CHOST/version
> stuff *were* already included so the present state of the guide tells it
> twice. Could you please fix that?

Hmmm, I agree that for an intelligent person it may seen redundant,
but looking at the note:

"Note: This assumes that you have CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" set. If
you are using another CHOST, please use the appropriate gcc-config
line."

a) It only mentions CHOST, not gcc version
b) The piercing red text explains exactly what to do, while the note
is more of an explanation

Comments?

Cheers,
(Continue reading)

Jan Kundrát | 1 Mar 21:19 2006
Picon

Re: Re: [gentoo-doc-cvs] cvs commit: gcc-upgrading.xml

Marcelo Góes wrote:
> 3.4.5 may not be stable on all arches, but it is in x86. Our example
> is for an i686 compiler

Er, good point, sorry.

> Hmmm, I agree that for an intelligent person it may seen redundant,
> but looking at the note:
> 
> "Note: This assumes that you have CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" set. If
> you are using another CHOST, please use the appropriate gcc-config
> line."
> 
> a) It only mentions CHOST, not gcc version
> b) The piercing red text explains exactly what to do, while the note
> is more of an explanation
> 
> Comments?

I've removed the <note>s.

Cheers,
-jkt

--

-- 
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

Josh | 4 Mar 19:51 2006
Picon

Translators: ipv6.xml does need updating


Hi there. I just noticed that in the most recent commit log for ipv6.xml (dated
feb. 17), I said that I only edited my email address, but I just noticed that
this isn't true; some pending changes for the doc were sent out at the same
time. It was a content change for bug 61450.

See the changelog for details: >
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/ipv6.xml?r1=1.19&r2=1.20

Sorry that I didn't catch this then; this change does need to be added to any
translated versions of this doc.

Apologies, and have a nice day.

Josh

Xavier Neys | 6 Mar 12:56 2006
Picon

Short term todo list

Dear g-docies,

Just letting you know about a few things I'll do in the coming days:

Rename all /doc/LANG/inserts-LANG.xml to /doc/LANG/inserts.xml
I promised that a long time ago.

Check and fix lang & link attributes in translations.
FYI, the full path is required to enable the "up2dateness" check.

Finish the x86 quick install "rewrite"

Handle a couple of translation bugs

Last but not least, publish a GDP status report

Cheers,
--

-- 
/  Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/
/\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/

Xavier Neys | 6 Mar 18:28 2006
Picon

Re: Short term todo list

Xavier Neys wrote:
> Rename all /doc/LANG/inserts-LANG.xml to /doc/LANG/inserts.xml
> I promised that a long time ago.

Done! inserts.xml can be managed just like any other file. Using different
names prevented that for some of our translators.
It can have a <version> element which I have added to some files.
It can be listed in metadoc.xml

Cheers,
--

-- 
/  Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project
/
/\ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/

Curtis Napier | 10 Mar 06:13 2006
Picon

Re: Printing Guide correction/addition suggestion

eric & rosi wrote:
> I would like to help with gentoo, as I use it and love it, but I don't
> see a corrections link for:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#hplip
> 
> First off, great guide, worked fine < 5 minutes to get printing (less
> compile time).
> 
> Printer is an HP PSC 1210, so I installed cups/started cups, then
> hplip.  However, in the cups web interface, the driver did Not appear
> right away, in fact the incorrect  one which tries to go straight to the
> usb printer was the only one that showed up at first ??
> 
> A re-install of cups (and restart), and the correct driver appeared.
> 
> I un-installed each product and tried again to diagnose what is actually
> required:
> Only a restart of cupsd ( WITH hplip started) is required.   This
> problem is re-creatable after installing and can be re-created any
> number of times.
> 
> As it potentially can confuse people to see only the wrong straight-USB
> option and not the right one, can I reccommend changing the following line:
> --------------------------------
> When the emerge process has finished, the printer drivers will be
> available through the CUPS web interface.
> --------------------------------
> TO:
> ---------------------------------
> When the emerge process has finished, the printer drivers will be
(Continue reading)

Casey Allen Shobe | 11 Mar 15:21 2006

make.conf man page mistake?

"Enable portage support for the ccache package.  If the ccache dir is not 
present in the user's environment, then portage will default to 
${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/ccache (with userpriv) and to /root/.ccache otherwise."

I hope that last path is not accurate, as I would expect it to be root's 
${HOME}/.ccache, not /root/.ccache, as I none of our systems have a /root (we 
use /home/root).

Cheers,
-- 
Casey Allen Shobe | cshobe <at> seattleserver.com | 206-381-2800
SeattleServer.com, Inc. | http://www.seattleserver.com
--

-- 
gentoo-doc <at> gentoo.org mailing list


Gmane