Robert Schiele | 1 Aug 09:09 2002
Picon

Re: Mistake With CPP File

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 05:04:04AM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
> Recently I tried to compile fig01_02.cpp with Kernel 2.2.20 on Linux
> Mandrake 8.0.  I used "gcc fig01_02.cpp" and received the following
> errors:
> 
> <user_account>/tmp/ccmeDWKS.o: In function `main':
> <user_account>/tmp/ccmeDWKS.o(.text+0xf): undefined reference to
> `cout'
> <user_account>/tmp/ccmeDWKS.o(.text+0x14): undefined reference to
> `ostream::operator<<(char const *)'collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> 
> Why didn't it work?

cout is in libstdc++. So either you have to call "g++ fig01_02.cpp" or
"gcc -lstdc++ fig01_02.cpp".

Robert

--

-- 
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker	mailto:rschiele <at> uni-mannheim.de
Stefanos Koutsoutos | 1 Aug 09:56 2002

stat() problems.

Hi,

I'm facing problems with stat() system call. It seems that it follows
filesystem links! To be more accurate I try:

struct stat buf;
stat("this_is_a_link", &buf);

and then:	S_ISLNK( buf.st_mode )  is false!

More, the mode is the same as the mode of the file it links to! I think
that this is not what it supposed to be done by stat(). Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.
Stefanos.

--

-- 
____________________
Stefanos Koutsoutos
Developer
MD5 S.A.
koutsoutos <at> md5sa.com
www.md5sa.com

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-gcc" in
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

(Continue reading)

SoloCDM | 1 Aug 10:38 2002
Picon

Re: Mistake With CPP File

Robert Schiele stated the following:
> 
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 05:04:04AM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
> > Recently I tried to compile fig01_02.cpp with Kernel 2.2.20 on Linux
> > Mandrake 8.0.  I used "gcc fig01_02.cpp" and received the following
> > errors:
> >
> > <user_account>/tmp/ccmeDWKS.o: In function `main':
> > <user_account>/tmp/ccmeDWKS.o(.text+0xf): undefined reference to
> > `cout'
> > <user_account>/tmp/ccmeDWKS.o(.text+0x14): undefined reference to
> > `ostream::operator<<(char const *)'collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > Why didn't it work?
> 
> cout is in libstdc++. So either you have to call "g++ fig01_02.cpp" or
> "gcc -lstdc++ fig01_02.cpp".

It worked -- Thanks!

I couldn't help but notice how g++ linked all the way back to
colorgcc.  Although, colorgcc doesn't react like g++.  Colorgcc won't
create a.out.

What is gcc used for?  I noticed it seems to have some of the same
files or libraries as g++.

--

-- 
Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
      list and/or newsgroup address and my email address in To:
(Continue reading)

Alexandre P. Nunes | 1 Aug 13:48 2002
Picon

Re: stat() problems.

Stefanos Koutsoutos wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm facing problems with stat() system call. It seems that it follows
>filesystem links! To be more accurate I try:
>
>struct stat buf;
>stat("this_is_a_link", &buf);
>
>and then:	S_ISLNK( buf.st_mode )  is false!
>
>More, the mode is the same as the mode of the file it links to! I think
>that this is not what it supposed to be done by stat(). Any ideas??
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Stefanos.
>
>  
>

stat() follows symlinks. That's why there's lstat(), try it instead.

Cheers,

Alexandre

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-gcc" in
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org
(Continue reading)

Stefanos Koutsoutos | 1 Aug 14:05 2002

Re: stat() problems.

Thanks a lot Alexandre!

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 14:48, Alexandre P. Nunes wrote:
>
> stat() follows symlinks. That's why there's lstat(), try it instead.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> 

--

-- 
____________________
Stefanos Koutsoutos
Developer
MD5 S.A.
koutsoutos <at> md5sa.com
www.md5sa.com

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-gcc" in
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Robert Schiele | 1 Aug 15:33 2002
Picon

Re: Mistake With CPP File

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 02:38:32AM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
> Robert Schiele stated the following:
> > cout is in libstdc++. So either you have to call "g++ fig01_02.cpp" or
> > "gcc -lstdc++ fig01_02.cpp".
> 
> It worked -- Thanks!
> 
> I couldn't help but notice how g++ linked all the way back to
> colorgcc.  Although, colorgcc doesn't react like g++.  Colorgcc won't
> create a.out.

Sorry, but I cannot see what you wanted to tell us with this
paragraph.

> What is gcc used for?  I noticed it seems to have some of the same
> files or libraries as g++.

gcc and g++ are the same, but gcc uses C as it's standard language,
where g++ uses C++ as standard language and links standard C++
libraries without the need to specify them explicitly.

Robert

--

-- 
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker	mailto:rschiele <at> uni-mannheim.de
SoloCDM | 2 Aug 14:47 2002
Picon

Re: Mistake With CPP File

Robert Schiele stated the following:
> 
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 02:38:32AM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
>
> > Robert Schiele stated the following:
> >
> > > cout is in libstdc++. So either you have to call "g++ fig01_02.cpp" or
> > > "gcc -lstdc++ fig01_02.cpp".
> >
> > It worked -- Thanks!
> >
> > I couldn't help but notice how g++ linked all the way back to
> > colorgcc.  Although, colorgcc doesn't react like g++.  Colorgcc won't
> > create a.out.
> 
> Sorry, but I cannot see what you wanted to tell us with this
> paragraph.

It starts the linking (ln command) with /usr/bin/g++ -->
/etc/alternatives/g++ --> /usr/bin/colorg++ --> /usr/bin/colorgcc. 
G++ is acting as a link.  If executed in the same manner as g++ to
create an a.out file, without options, colorgcc doesn't execute like
g++.

> > What is gcc used for?  I noticed it seems to have some of the same
> > files or libraries as g++.
> 
> gcc and g++ are the same, but gcc uses C as it's standard language,
> where g++ uses C++ as standard language and links standard C++
> libraries without the need to specify them explicitly.
(Continue reading)

Robert Schiele | 2 Aug 15:08 2002
Picon

Re: Mistake With CPP File

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 06:47:41AM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
> It starts the linking (ln command) with /usr/bin/g++ -->
> /etc/alternatives/g++ --> /usr/bin/colorg++ --> /usr/bin/colorgcc. 
> G++ is acting as a link.  If executed in the same manner as g++ to
> create an a.out file, without options, colorgcc doesn't execute like
> g++.

What do you have in ~/.colorgccrc?

> Is the documentation on my system to know how to use different things
> like "-lstdc++" with g++?  What would the files be?  I didn't find
> anything in the man page.

Try "info gcc".

Robert

--

-- 
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker	mailto:rschiele <at> uni-mannheim.de
SoloCDM | 2 Aug 20:18 2002
Picon

Re: Mistake With CPP File

Robert Schiele stated the following:
> 
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 06:47:41AM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
> 
> > It starts the linking (ln command) with /usr/bin/g++ -->
> > /etc/alternatives/g++ --> /usr/bin/colorg++ --> /usr/bin/colorgcc.
> > G++ is acting as a link.  If executed in the same manner as g++ to
> > create an a.out file, without options, colorgcc doesn't execute like
> > g++.
> 
> What do you have in ~/.colorgccrc?

No such file exists.  Everything for g++ and gcc is exactly as it was
installed.

--

-- 
Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
      list and/or newsgroup address and my email address in To:

*********************************************************************
Signed,
SoloCDM-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-gcc" in
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

H. J. Lu | 2 Aug 20:28 2002

The Linux binutils 2.13.90.0.2 is released

This is the beta release of binutils 2.13.90.0.2 for Linux, which is
based on binutils 2002 0802 in CVS on sourecs.redhat.com plus various
changes. It is purely for Linux.

The Linux/mips support is added. You have to use

# rpm --target=[mips|mipsel] -ta binutils-xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.tar.gz

to build it. Or you can read mips/README in the source tree to apply
the mips patches and build it by hand.

FYI, the binutils man pages now are generated from the texinfo files
during the build. As the result, those man pages may be changed for
each build even if you only have done

# ..../configure ...
# make

That means you may have many failures on the man pages when you apply
the binutils diffs next time. Those failures can be safely ignored.
You should remove all those man pages from your source tree by

# find -name *.1 | xargs rm -f
# find -name *.1.rej | xargs rm -f
# find -name *.man | xargs rm -f
# find -name *.man.rej | xargs rm -f

Please report any bugs related to binutils 2.13.90.0.2 to hjl <at> lucon.org.

For arm-linux targets, there are some important differences in behaviour 
(Continue reading)


Gmane