Michael Prokop | 4 Feb 02:40 2010

Re: jmicron network card driver installation fails

* Grischa <grischa <at> stuff24.de> [20100113 01:15]:

> I'm running grml with a 2.6.26 kernel on an asus eee box b202 which has 
> unfortunately a JMicron network card. I want to install the driver 
> (ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/) manually because the driver is not 
> included. As mentioned in the readme .txt I did:

> apt-get install linux-source-$(uname -r)
> apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> apt-get install build-essential

> After 'make install' I got the following error:

> make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.26-grml/build: No such file or directory. 
> Stop. make: *** [all] Error 2

Try executing 'm-a prepare' before running any build process.
This should set up the according symlinks for you.

BTW: kernel 2.6.26-grml is pretty outdated nowadays, make sure to
use a more recent kernel version like linux-image-2.6.31-grml. :)

regards,
-mika-
* Grischa <grischa <at> stuff24.de> [20100113 01:15]:

> I'm running grml with a 2.6.26 kernel on an asus eee box b202 which has 
> unfortunately a JMicron network card. I want to install the driver 
(Continue reading)

Michael Prokop | 4 Feb 02:42 2010

Re: GRML64-bit Accessibility and Cheatcode questions

* Keith Hinton <keithint1234 <at> gmail.com> [20100113 18:50]:

> I was curious if GRML64 is accessible to users with blind disabilities
> by  default, as in the 32-bit world of GRML.

It's supposed to be, yes.

> Secondly, I had a question:
> While the newer splash menu works niecly for a person with sight, that
> new menu servs little use for me. How do I go back to the standard
> boot prompt without the fancey menu before typing "grml swspeak"
> (without quotes) at the boot of the CD?
> I am just curious what I can do. If you have suggestions/other
> considerations, please contact me ASAP. Thanks all for your great
> work. Please keep up the great work on GRML.

IIRC this was solved via IRC already, but just for the archive I'm
quoting we've in our FAQ nowadays:

| Starting with release 2009.10 Grml provides a menu based bootsplash.
| To adjust boot options just press the TAB-key. To directly switch to
| the old-style isolinux cmdline just press the escape key within 30
| seconds. If you still need access to the old bootsplash layout
| (including the f2, f3,... pages with further information regarding
| available bootoptions) select the entry 'Isolinux prompt' in the
| menu based bootsplash (just press 'i' and ENTER for direct access to
| it). The timeout until either the selected entry is booted (if
| specified) or until the system will restore from the cmdline to the
| menu based bootsplash is 30 seconds.

(Continue reading)

Michael Whapples | 10 Feb 22:34 2010

Boot managers and grml-debootstrap

Hello,
If I were to use grml-debootstrap to install a debian system what are my 
options for boot managers? I normally prefer to install the boot manager 
in the partition but I believe grub2 doesn't support this. So is there a 
way for me to install grub-legacy or lilo when using grml-debootstrap or 
is there a way to get grub2 to install to the partition?

Michael Whapples
Michael Prokop | 10 Feb 22:43 2010

Re: Boot managers and grml-debootstrap

* Michael Whapples <mwhapples <at> aim.com> [20100210 22:40]:

> If I were to use grml-debootstrap to install a debian system what are my 
> options for boot managers? I normally prefer to install the boot manager 
> in the partition but I believe grub2 doesn't support this. So is there a 
> way for me to install grub-legacy or lilo when using grml-debootstrap or 
> is there a way to get grub2 to install to the partition?

You can just leave out the option to install a bootmanager and
install grub-legacy/lilo manually according to your needs.

But there's no option to automatically install grub1 or lilo for
you, no.

regards,
-mika-
* Michael Whapples <mwhapples <at> aim.com> [20100210 22:40]:

> If I were to use grml-debootstrap to install a debian system what are my 
> options for boot managers? I normally prefer to install the boot manager 
> in the partition but I believe grub2 doesn't support this. So is there a 
> way for me to install grub-legacy or lilo when using grml-debootstrap or 
> is there a way to get grub2 to install to the partition?

You can just leave out the option to install a bootmanager and
install grub-legacy/lilo manually according to your needs.

But there's no option to automatically install grub1 or lilo for
(Continue reading)

Michael Prokop | 13 Feb 02:32 2010

Announce: Grml developer mailinglist

Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that we have a new mailinglist - the
Grml developer mailinglist:

  http://ml.grml.org/mailman/listinfo/grml-devel

We will discuss issues related to development of Grml on this
mailinglist. Anyone is allowed to subscribe to the mailinglist.
Sending mails to the list is limited to members of the mailinglist
to avoid Spam (though we've a moderation queue for non-members so
mails shouldn't get lost in any case). So please feel free to join
the discussions, patch reviews and coordination of development on
the mailinglist.

If you have any patches or need feedback from Grml developers feel
free to mail them directly to the developer mailinglist.

PS: The Grml *user* mailinglist isn't affected by this change
itself. We just want to give contributors the possibility to discuss
issues with us on a central place, though without annoying users
that aren't interested in development.

Happy hacking!

regards,
-mika-
--

-- 
 http://grml.org/            # Linux for texttool-users and sysadmins
 http://wiki.grml.org/       # share your knowledge
(Continue reading)

Michael Whapples | 15 Feb 15:29 2010

grml-debootstrap problems

Hello,
I am trying to install debian using grml-debootstrap but I get an error 
about it not finding MAKEDEV. I retried but adding the makedev package 
to /etc/debootstrap/packages but it still fails with the error. Infact 
it seems like the packages in /etc/debootstrap/packages are not being 
installed (eg. what is left in the mount point doesn't contain zsh 
either or commands related to other packages I try and add).

This is just using the standard grml 2009.10 CD.

It has just occurred to me, I never do anything to update packages on 
the CD first, was there a problem with the grml-debootstrap on the 
2009.10 CD?

Michael Whapples
Michael Prokop | 15 Feb 15:33 2010

Re: grml-debootstrap problems

* Michael Whapples <mwhapples <at> aim.com> [Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 02:29:09PM +0000]:

> I am trying to install debian using grml-debootstrap but I get an error 
> about it not finding MAKEDEV. I retried but adding the makedev package 
> to /etc/debootstrap/packages but it still fails with the error. Infact 
> it seems like the packages in /etc/debootstrap/packages are not being 
> installed (eg. what is left in the mount point doesn't contain zsh 
> either or commands related to other packages I try and add).

> This is just using the standard grml 2009.10 CD.

> It has just occurred to me, I never do anything to update packages on 
> the CD first, was there a problem with the grml-debootstrap on the 
> 2009.10 CD?

Please post the complete and exact error message and the
commandline / config you are using.

I assume this is an error in an *official* Debian package.

regards,
-mika-
* Michael Whapples <mwhapples <at> aim.com> [Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 02:29:09PM +0000]:

> I am trying to install debian using grml-debootstrap but I get an error 
> about it not finding MAKEDEV. I retried but adding the makedev package 
> to /etc/debootstrap/packages but it still fails with the error. Infact 
> it seems like the packages in /etc/debootstrap/packages are not being 
(Continue reading)

Michael Whapples | 15 Feb 18:41 2010

Re: grml-debootstrap problems

I attach the config file I am using, I don't give any extra options to 
grml-debootstrap. The error message isn't very descriptive, I get the 
message about it creating generic devices in /dev (something like that) 
then I get an error stating the script and that MAKEDEV cannot be found 
(sorry I don't have the exact message in front of me, it was of the form:
/bin/chroot-script: xxx: MAKEDEV: command be found
Where xxx was a number which escapes me).

Michael Whapples
On 02/15/2010 02:29 PM, Michael Whapples wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install debian using grml-debootstrap but I get an 
> error about it not finding MAKEDEV. I retried but adding the makedev 
> package to /etc/debootstrap/packages but it still fails with the 
> error. Infact it seems like the packages in /etc/debootstrap/packages 
> are not being installed (eg. what is left in the mount point doesn't 
> contain zsh either or commands related to other packages I try and add).
>
> This is just using the standard grml 2009.10 CD.
>
> It has just occurred to me, I never do anything to update packages on 
> the CD first, was there a problem with the grml-debootstrap on the 
> 2009.10 CD?
>
> Michael Whapples
>

# Filename:      /etc/debootstrap/config
(Continue reading)

Michael Prokop | 15 Feb 22:46 2010

Re: grml-debootstrap problems

* Michael Whapples <mwhapples <at> aim.com> [Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 05:41:54PM +0000]:
> I attach the config file I am using, I don't give any extra options to 
> grml-debootstrap. The error message isn't very descriptive, I get the 
> message about it creating generic devices in /dev (something like that) 
> then I get an error stating the script and that MAKEDEV cannot be found 
> (sorry I don't have the exact message in front of me, it was of the form:
> /bin/chroot-script: xxx: MAKEDEV: command be found
> Where xxx was a number which escapes me).

Ok thanks. I've just uploaded grml-debootstrap 0.33 to the
grml-testing repository which should address your problem (thanks to
Ulrich Dangel for taking care of this issue).

Please let us know if you still encounter problems.

regards,
-mika-
* Michael Whapples <mwhapples <at> aim.com> [Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 05:41:54PM +0000]:
> I attach the config file I am using, I don't give any extra options to 
> grml-debootstrap. The error message isn't very descriptive, I get the 
> message about it creating generic devices in /dev (something like that) 
> then I get an error stating the script and that MAKEDEV cannot be found 
> (sorry I don't have the exact message in front of me, it was of the form:
> /bin/chroot-script: xxx: MAKEDEV: command be found
> Where xxx was a number which escapes me).

Ok thanks. I've just uploaded grml-debootstrap 0.33 to the
grml-testing repository which should address your problem (thanks to
(Continue reading)

Michael Whapples | 16 Feb 14:41 2010

Re: grml-debootstrap problems

It now gets stuck at the point of retrieving packages, it complains 
about getting the packages.bz2 file and then exits.

I did get further when I tried using the version on the CD when I 
changed to using lenny, however as lenny is far behind with certain 
packages I really want to use either thesting or unstable (possibly I 
would prefer testing as that might be a bit more stable).

Michael Whapples
On 01/-10/-28163 08:59 PM, Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Michael Whapples<mwhapples <at> aim.com>  [Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 05:41:54PM +0000]:
>    
>> I attach the config file I am using, I don't give any extra options to
>> grml-debootstrap. The error message isn't very descriptive, I get the
>> message about it creating generic devices in /dev (something like that)
>> then I get an error stating the script and that MAKEDEV cannot be found
>> (sorry I don't have the exact message in front of me, it was of the form:
>> /bin/chroot-script: xxx: MAKEDEV: command be found
>> Where xxx was a number which escapes me).
>>      
>
> Ok thanks. I've just uploaded grml-debootstrap 0.33 to the
> grml-testing repository which should address your problem (thanks to
> Ulrich Dangel for taking care of this issue).
>
>
> Please let us know if you still encounter problems.
>
>
> regards,
(Continue reading)


Gmane