Paul E Condon | 1 Jul 01:38 2006
Picon

Re:

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:47:32PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> Why not download the latest netinstall ISO image (or CD1 image), wipe
> the hard drive, and do a fresh install?  That way, you set the root
> password, you create a normal user account for yourself and set the
> password, and you install the packages you want and need.
> 
> HTH,
> 
> David
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: delanna m hess [mailto:dmh081646 <at> earthlink.net] 
> Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 10:53 AM
> To: debian-user <at> lists.debian.org
> Subject: 
> 
> I just purchased a used computer with your system on it and the person
> never gave me a user name or log in password is there a way to get these
> items to be able to log on?  Please e-mail me above address.
>  

Delanna:

The first suggestion is very good, but you may not realize what is involved.
Since you have gotten your question onto this email list, you must have
access to the web on some other computer than the one you have just purchased.
I suggest that you look at www.debian.org all the data that you need to follow
the suggestion is available there. And there is a wealth of information on
(Continue reading)

Paul E Condon | 1 Jul 01:52 2006
Picon

Re: cd copy/read errors

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 01:29:02PM -0500, dan_elliott <at> cox.net wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I am thoroughly confused.  I have been attempting to burn an exact copy of a disc containing proprietary
software for backup purposes (disc is expensive).  I have found many similar posts on many mailing lists
but none solve my issue.  This is what I have tried thus far:
> 
> $ cat /dev/cdrom > blah.iso
> <see error example below>
> 
> $ isoinfo -d -i /dev/hdc
> CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
> System id: Solaris
> Volume id: MATLAB_SV14
> Volume set id:
> Publisher id: The MathWorks,Inc
> Data preparer id:
> Application id: MATLAB
> Copyright File id:
> Abstract File id:
> Bibliographic File id:
> Volume set size is: 1
> Volume set sequence number is: 1
> Logical block size is: 2048
> Volume size is: 335261
> Joliet with UCS level 3 found
> Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
> 
> dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=335261 > blah2.iso

(Continue reading)

Bill Jones | 1 Jul 01:56 2006
Picon

Re:

On 6/30/06, delanna m hess <dmh081646 <at> earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just purchased a used computer with your system on it and the person never
> gave me a user name or log in password is there a way to get these items to
> be able to log on?  Please e-mail me above address.

Get a Linux Boot CD that matches your system -- i386, PPC, etc.
I would suggest a FC5 Rescue CD.  Boot off it.

If you are using a FC5 rescue CD - at the linux prompt type:
linux rescue [Hit Enter]

Follow the on-screen instructions -- do not start networking, do mount
any partitions it finds as Read-Write.

At the # prompt cd to the /mnt/sysimage/etc  directory and type:
nano shadow [Hit Enter]

The first line is root; the junk you see between the first two colons
( : ) is the md5digest password -- delete it so that the first section
of the first line looks like this:

root::soemtotherstuff...

Hit Ctrl-X and save the file.

At the # prompt type
exit [Hit Enter]

The system should boot and there will no longer be a root password;
(Continue reading)

Seth Goodman | 1 Jul 02:18 2006

RE: No kernel update yet?

On Friday, June 30, 2006 1:31 PM -0500, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> Several days ago, DSA-1103 (2.6.8 kernel update) was announced due
> to several security issues.  But as of today,
> http://www.debian.org/security/2006/ still does not show it, and
> all my apt-get updates/upgrades have not downloaded it or indicated
> that is is available. 
> 
> Is it coming?

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/06/msg02743.html

--

-- 
Seth Goodman

Joshua J. Kugler | 1 Jul 02:49 2006

Re: No kernel update yet?

On Friday 30 June 2006 16:18, Seth Goodman wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2006 1:31 PM -0500, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > Several days ago, DSA-1103 (2.6.8 kernel update) was announced due
> > to several security issues.  But as of today,
> > http://www.debian.org/security/2006/ still does not show it, and
> > all my apt-get updates/upgrades have not downloaded it or indicated
> > that is is available.
> >
> > Is it coming?
>
> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/06/msg02743.html

Right...understand that.  The systems are ones I recently took over, so I'll 
have to double check that.  Thanks for the clarification.

But the fact still stands that DSA-1103 still hasn't showed up on 
http://www.debian.org/security/2006/ which leads me to believe there has been 
no release.  Or was it just an oversight?

j

--

-- 
Joshua Kugler                           
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111

Joshua J. Kugler | 1 Jul 02:58 2006

Re: No kernel update yet?

On Friday 30 June 2006 16:49, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Friday 30 June 2006 16:18, Seth Goodman wrote:
> > On Friday, June 30, 2006 1:31 PM -0500, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > > Several days ago, DSA-1103 (2.6.8 kernel update) was announced due
> > > to several security issues.  But as of today,
> > > http://www.debian.org/security/2006/ still does not show it, and
> > > all my apt-get updates/upgrades have not downloaded it or indicated
> > > that is is available.
> > >
> > > Is it coming?
> >
> > See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/06/msg02743.html
>
> Right...understand that.  The systems are ones I recently took over, so
> I'll have to double check that.  Thanks for the clarification.

OK, I installed the meta-package, and the latest kernel is being installed.  
I'll have to remember that for future server setups.

> But the fact still stands that DSA-1103 still hasn't showed up on
> http://www.debian.org/security/2006/ which leads me to believe there has
> been no release.  Or was it just an oversight?

So it appears that the security page just wasn't properly updated.

Thanks again for the pointers.

j

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

James Westby | 1 Jul 02:59 2006
Picon

Re: aptitude update error with security on etch

On (30/06/06 15:55), Ross Boylan wrote:
> I've been seeing the same error on a couple of different machines today:
> W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release: Unknown
> error executing gpgv
> W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release: Unknown
> error executing gpgv
> 

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2006/06/msg00061.html

--

-- 
  James Westby
  jw+debian <at> jameswestby.net
  http://jameswestby.net/

Owen Heisler | 1 Jul 03:05 2006
Picon

Etch: gnucash & gnucash-docs conflict

Packages in Etch (i386):
gnucash 1.8.10-19
gnucash-docs 1.9.0-1

gnucash-docs conflicts with gnucash (< 1.9.0-1)

Just wondering why.  Of course the docs are for a later version on
gnucash, but it seems that either the two shouldn't conflict or
gnucash-docs should be v1.8.

Andrew Sackville-West | 1 Jul 03:27 2006

Re: Etch: gnucash & gnucash-docs conflict

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:05:11PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> Packages in Etch (i386):
> gnucash 1.8.10-19
> gnucash-docs 1.9.0-1
> 
> gnucash-docs conflicts with gnucash (< 1.9.0-1)
> 
> Just wondering why.  Of course the docs are for a later version on
> gnucash, but it seems that either the two shouldn't conflict or
> gnucash-docs should be v1.8.

gnucahs 1.9.8 has been in sid for a while, I would imagine you caught
it in the middle of a transition. give it a couple days maybe?

A
Owen Heisler | 1 Jul 03:36 2006
Picon

Re: Etch: gnucash & gnucash-docs conflict

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 18:27 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:05:11PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > Packages in Etch (i386):
> > gnucash 1.8.10-19
> > gnucash-docs 1.9.0-1
> > 
> > gnucash-docs conflicts with gnucash (< 1.9.0-1)
> > 
> > Just wondering why.  Of course the docs are for a later version on
> > gnucash, but it seems that either the two shouldn't conflict or
> > gnucash-docs should be v1.8.
>
> gnucash 1.9.8 has been in sid for a while, I would imagine you caught
> it in the middle of a transition. give it a couple days maybe?

Oh, okay.


Gmane