Obey Arthur Liu | 2 Jul 13:27 2009
Picon

Progress meeting 3 (week 6)

Hi people,

New progress reports soon! Also mid-term review, DebConf and IRC meeting
for DebConf participants.

Coming on June 6th and the following week is the mid-term review. You
should have got a mail from either the GSoC students or mentors list
explaining you what it's all about. If there is any issue with your
student/mentor, please contact me ASAP and we'll set up a meeting, but I
expect all project to be doing fine, right ?

We have a talk[0] scheduled at DebConf and students and mentors present
are called to the podium. There will be a lightning presentation of each
individual project and if you are here, you will of course have to do it
yourself :)

I'm setting up a meeting *Saturday 4th June, 6pm UTC* on IRC to discuss
the format of the DebConf talk. If you are coming to DebConf, please be
here.

So, in addition to your progress report, I'd like you to prepare about 3
minutes worth of presentation for your project. This should be max 2-3
slides. Tell us what your project is about, what you've done so far, and
how the attendance can help you.

You have three weeks to do this but I'd like you to at least include an
outline of what you intend to put in it in your next report this Saturday.

[0] <https://penta.debconf.org/dc9_schedule/events/378.en.html>

(Continue reading)

Obey Arthur Liu | 2 Jul 13:47 2009
Picon

Re: Progress meeting 3 (week 6)

Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> Hi people,
> 
> New progress reports soon! Also mid-term review, DebConf and IRC meeting
> for DebConf participants.
> 
> Coming on June 6th and the following week is the mid-term review. You
s/June/July/
> should have got a mail from either the GSoC students or mentors list
> explaining you what it's all about. If there is any issue with your
> student/mentor, please contact me ASAP and we'll set up a meeting, but I
> expect all project to be doing fine, right ?

We don't want to fail people mid-term here, but there is a certain
percentage of students who get failed mid-term each year. I don't think
any of you are under risk of it, but if you are, please convene for a
meeting so we can resolve any issues *before* the review.
Ok, enough scary talk.

> We have a talk[0] scheduled at DebConf and students and mentors present
> are called to the podium. There will be a lightning presentation of each
> individual project and if you are here, you will of course have to do it
> yourself :)
> 
> I'm setting up a meeting *Saturday 4th June, 6pm UTC* on IRC to discuss
s/June/July/
> the format of the DebConf talk. If you are coming to DebConf, please be
> here.

If you're not coming to DebConf and don't have specific questions, you
(Continue reading)

Luca Favatella | 3 Jul 13:56 2009
Picon

kFreeBSD progress report week 6

In the past two weeks I managed to produce a GNU/kFreeBSD
debian-installer (d-i) image being able to boot up to a "welcome
screen".

I switched to the .udeb packages on debian.org (previously I was using
those on debian-ports.org).

I proposed two patches, i.e. libc [0] and kernel [1], for inclusion
into d-i trunk, and both were accepted.
I didn't manage to split rootskel-bootfloppy from the building of the
rootskel package [2], so I didn't propose it for inclusion.

I disabled the debug shell, to workaround the current known bug in the
GNU/kFreeBSD port of BusyBox ash.

Analysing the cdebconf templates related issue, I initially thought it
was caused by the dlopen() function.
Then my mentor discovered the cause was an unexistent file, i.e.
/var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat, that should be created at runtime.
I discovered that file couldn't be created because the filesystem was read-only.
Making it read-write [3] solved the issue.

A terminal issue [4] popped up, and I quickly solved it.
I proposed the patch for inclusion into d-i trunk [5].

An other issue popped up: main-menu was launched, but the screen was all black.
I initially thought it was caused by the dup2() function, but
debugging it I got the same output on both GNU/kFreeBSD and GNU/Linux.
I discovered the problem was instead an infinite loop (see the debug
output [6]), caused by a poll() system call portability issue (see
(Continue reading)

Stephan Peijnik | 3 Jul 16:54 2009
Picon

update-manager progress report week 6

The last two weeks were quite productive for me, being able to get a few
important things done (full listing with more details available at [0]):

* Checking for updates / downloading package lists
* Major rewrite of the IPC mechanisms (replaced callback functions by
handler classes)
* A lot of documentation and unit tests
* Ubuntu specific code: changelog fetching
* Changelog fetching and presentation in general
* Dynamic selection of frontend, backend and distribution specific
module via command line switches
* Automatic distribution detection
* Some UI changes/refinements
* Debian packaging updates so version 0.200.0~pre0 can be built
* Some work on threading issues in python-apt

As you can see this list got rather long, and I haven't listed every
single bit of work I've done. However, I'd like to give you some insight
into the things that I consider most important (and interesting) right
now.

What stalled my work the most was downloading package lists in
combination with a rather serious python-apt bug (or maybe we should
call that a missing feature).

After the reworking the IPC mechanisms I decided to use separate worker
threads to do the python-apt work. My first try failed horribly, as I
wasn't aware that Gtk is anything but thread-safe. So I read a lot of
more or less useful tutorials and howtos on the net and got cache
reloading to work using gtk.gdk.threads_enter and gtk.gdk.threads_leave.
(Continue reading)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort | 3 Jul 19:40 2009

Re: update-manager progress report week 6

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Peijnik wrote:
> Finishing the first item on my list should give me usable update-manager
> packages that could go into Debian experimental rather sooner than
> later, to get some people to actually test the code.

The update-manager (and update-notifier and software-properties) is currently
(un)maintained in pkg-gnome. You can join the team to maintain it, or if you
would rather take over its maintenance somewhere else, I doubt anybody will
complain.

If you need help with that let me know.

Cheers,
Emilio

_______________________________________________
Soc-coordination mailing list
Soc-coordination@...
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/soc-coordination
sha liu | 4 Jul 10:00 2009
Picon

Creating a N32 MIPS Port for Debian Report, Week 6

Hi list and mentors,
    Down below is the summery of my last two weeks. Due to some lab work and some private things, there's not too much work done.

Abstract:
1. Applying visa for debconf9. I'm afraid I can't make it to debconf9 due to the invitation letter which is still not coming.
2. Reading debian-policy, maintainer-guide and developer-reference. Then I tried to debianize the new system
3. Get my Gdium netbook working.

Detail:
1. The invitation letter was expected to arrive before Tuesday last week. However, after I spent 700 RMB to get my issuance and  visa application form done, it's still "on the way". I have to say that the visa team of debconf9 is really inefficient and  irresponsible. After I spent so much time and money in preparing the passport and visa stuff, for now I basically have no chance to go to debconf9:-(

2. I tried to debianize the new system according to the debian-policy. However, manually doing this is very slow and Error-prone. I'm still looking for new ways which is automatic and efficient.

To do for next 2 weeks:
1. Totally debianize the new system based on sid.
2. Pack the new system and upload to internet



--
Best,
Sha Liu

_______________________________________________
Soc-coordination mailing list
Soc-coordination@...
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/soc-coordination
Per Andersson | 4 Jul 17:14 2009
Picon

MTD embedded onboard flash partitioning and installation, report, week 6

Hi!

I have put up a web page [0] and a page on the Debian wiki [1] summarizing
my progress so far and how to build it for yourself.

Check out the web page, it has screenshots and a monolithic image of
Debian installer with my additions.

This week I have:
* Created udeb of mtd-utils (used for managing UBI).
* Created liblzo2-2-udeb (build dependency for mtd-utils).
* Made additions to hw-detect to recognize and load kernel modules required
  for MTD.
* Sucessfully attached MTD flash to UBI (with mtd-utils-udeb).
* Created UBI volumes (with mtd-utils-udeb).
* Created simple udeb which runs in /lib/debian-installer-startup.d/. The script
  loads nandsim module which creates a 256 MB simulated NAND.
* Created storaged_device option in partman-ubi, it attaches selected MTD to
  UBI.
* Created choose_partition option in partman-ubi. It is responsible for
  listing attached UBI devices and UBI volumes. When executed with
  free space on an UBI device selected, it asks user for volume name
  and size and creates that volume.

The Debian installer work above is quite hacky and goes in circles around
parted, because parted does not understand MTD or UBI. Also the UI is
probably not what will finally be, it is a product of the hacky nature of Just
Getting Something Working(TM).

In order for a good integration into Debian installer parted has to understand
MTD and UBI.

This is what I'll look into next.

-- Per

[0] http://sigsucc.se/mtd/
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/MTD
Per Andersson | 4 Jul 17:26 2009
Picon

Re: MTD embedded onboard flash partitioning and installation, report, week 6

Hi again!

I forgot to mention my DebConf talk outline.

There are a few more than 3 slides (but they'll go quick).

See it at http://sigsucc.se/mtd/mtd-debconf-pres.pdf.

-- Per
Cristian Porras | 4 Jul 18:32 2009
Picon

Aptitude History Tracking progress report, Week 6

Hi

In these two weeks, I focus on two points in the timeline:

a) Write code to add the history to a sqlite database, and code to
retrieve the history from the database.
b) Show the history of a particular package in the GUI and terminal.

I had thought about doing this after the Mid-term evaluation, but
Daniel suggested me to first work on this before implement the new
undo and the redo.

For a) I redefined the database draft that had been around for some
time to have a database schema like this:

            History Entries
           /                      \
Dpkg Changes         Aptitude State

In which History Entries is used to store basic information about a
change (package name, date, type of change, etc.) and the rest of the
details can be subdivided into tables, and depending on the type of
change, use some or other tables. Similarly, the retrieve of the
history from the database depends on the type of change.

In b) I added command line support, thus having the ability to view
history of a package as $ aptitude history [PACKAGE ...].

For the GUI, I have based on the code made to view the files and
folders (filesview), and added a subtab in the packet tab.
Following the Filesview scheme, I created the HistoryColumns class to
manage columns containing historical information, the HistoryTreeView
and HistoryView classes with which were implement to handle the
ListStore to view the data.
For now the details shown are few, but I hope to get the proper view
of the related changes (deps, suggested, etc). Besides working with
the cwidget/ncurses interface in future.

Screenshot: http://cristianporras.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/screen2.jpg?w=700&h=416

Apart from that, I was in Bogotá a few days doing the paperwork for
the visa, I get the answer the next Tuesday .

The outline for the DebConf could be something like this:

Introduction
Deliverable 1: History Explorer/Viewer (What has been done so far and
what is missing)
Deliverable 2: Undo – Redo (What has been done so far and what is missing)

I hope we meet in Caceres.

--

-- 
Cristian Porras
http://cristianporras.wordpress.com
Comunidad Universitaria de Software Libre, Cusol UIS
http://www.linux.com.co/cusol

_______________________________________________
Aptitude-devel mailing list
Aptitude-devel <at> lists.alioth.debian.org
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/aptitude-devel
Jonathan Yu | 4 Jul 20:17 2009
Picon

libdebctrl progress report, Week 6

Hi everyone:

It's really nice to see so much progress on all of your other
projects, they're looking very neat and I look forward to trying some
of them out when they're ready (or when I have some time).

So I've been writing a lot of documentation for libdebctrl, and I
think I have the important parts of code covered. I spent a day or two
getting familiar with Doxygen; it's a very nice package but sometimes
hard to use, and really not as flexible as I'd like. The documentation
wasn't as easy to write as I hoped, particularly because it was
somewhat difficult to explain things, and the doxygen format didn't
let me include direct text examples in a very nice way. I'm planning
to write some examples as .txt files and include them using
\verbinclude, but I'll have to look into that later.

I've run into a challenge of trying to write the library in an
object-oriented manner, but without the benefit of an object-oriented
language. It's been a bit painful to do, particularly since there is
no notion of namespaces I could use to separate method names and
things. I'm hoping that I can create a C++ wrapper which will be
cleaner to use than the C version.

The C version is still necessary because it's so much easier to link
with other languages like Perl.

Actually, you can give libdebctrl a spin by looking at the latest
branch, version 0.3:
svn export svn://svn.debian.org/libdebctrl/branches/0.3

There are still two outstanding challenges I need to figure out,
particularly because there are so many corner cases in Debian. Along
the way, I got some wording changes pushed into Debian policy and have
developed a bit of rapport with the team - I'd like to be more
involved with the Debian Policy Team in the future.

I've been discussing things on the Debian Policy and Debian Developers
list, and I want to make sure that my package is appropriately
future-proofed for significant changes anticipated with multiarch
(that is, doing something like installing i386 binaries on an amd64
machine). As this sort of thing directly affects my project, I've been
trying to follow the discussion closely -- so far libdebctrl is on
good ground with respect to the current "plan":
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec

I've also compiled libsmokeqt4 on my machine so I can continue
developing perlqt4 without having to reinstall Ubuntu (since the smoke
version I need doesn't exist in Debian yet). Turns out that I didn't
need to download the entire KDE/4.3 branch, and that I could have just
compiled the kdebindings part of it. But anyway, that's done with now.
(The svn export took an entire night!)

By the way, I'll be giving a talk on packaging Perl modules for
Debian/Ubuntu as part of the Ubuntu Packaging Training, so if that's
something you're interested in, see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training -- I hope to see some of
you there! If you have questions about packaging Perl modules for
either Debian or Ubuntu, please join us on July 23rd and ask. If you
are unable to make the meeting, we're looking at running a separate
Q&A session during the Ubuntu Developer Week (Aug 31 - Sep 4)

Oh, and on a sort-of-related note, if you come across any Perl modules
that you want to use but that are not packaged in Debian, please feel
free to talk to me and I can put it together myself, or help walk you
through it.

Best of luck to all of you. I do hope you get a chance to look at my
library if you've got any experience working with debian/control files
and packaging. I'm taking feature requests and all that :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan

Gmane