Martijn van Oosterhout | 1 Jul 01:24 2002

Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:29:33AM -0400, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:21, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:41:59AM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > This comes up every now and then and deserves a FAQ entry (if it hasn't one
> > already).
> 
> These can all be fixed in the kernel, it has all the necessary information.
> 
> Shall we fix the kernel first and then deal with /etc/mtab?

Well, as I say in the other email, the contents of /etc/mtab is essentially
arbitrary. If mount supported an authentication protocol to enable access to
an NFS server, the details would be stored in /etc/mtab. However, these have
nothing to do with the kernel.

What you are suggesting is an in memory file that mount can write anything
it wants to. The kernel cannot meaningfully do checking on the contents. If
you want that, perhaps you should suggest the creating of a /proc/temp for
this purpose.
-- 
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog <at> svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
> arithmetic and those that can't.

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Glenn Maynard | 1 Jul 01:34 2002

Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:24:56AM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> What you are suggesting is an in memory file that mount can write anything
> it wants to. The kernel cannot meaningfully do checking on the contents. If
> you want that, perhaps you should suggest the creating of a /proc/temp for
> this purpose.

tmpfs

(I do think it'd be a "nice thing" to get all non-configfiles out of
the root of /etc, including mtab, but it's not something I'd lose any
sleep over.)

-- 
Glenn Maynard

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Nick Phillips | 1 Jul 02:30 2002

Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 07:34:53PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> tmpfs

bloat

We should try to avoid requiring that kernels be built in a particular
way in order for debian to work. We should also make damn sure that we
don't depend on kernel-specific features (like, usually linux-specific),
at least without considering how to operate in the situation where they
are not available.

> (I do think it'd be a "nice thing" to get all non-configfiles out of
> the root of /etc, including mtab, but it's not something I'd lose any
> sleep over.)

Yup.

-- 
Nick Phillips -- nwp <at> lemon-computing.com
You will wish you hadn't.

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Glenn Maynard | 1 Jul 02:44 2002

Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:30:35PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > tmpfs
> 
> bloat
> 
> We should try to avoid requiring that kernels be built in a particular
> way in order for debian to work. We should also make damn sure that we

Tmpfs is hardly bloat (at least not beyond the linux kernel norm), but I
didn't imply that we should use it; only that this was what Martijn
described.

-- 
Glenn Maynard

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Julien Danjou | 1 Jul 06:01 2002
Picon

apt and pin (?)

Hello,

When I build my own package on my system with the lastest source,
an "apt-get upgrade" will replace my package; for example
if i do "apt-get source --build wmaker" and "dpkg -i wmaker*.deb", 
an "apt-get updgrade" will install the same version of wmaker, but
from official Debian repository.

What I want is apt to upgrade wmaker ONLY if a new version
is available, and to ignore if versions are identical.

I think "Pin" is a solution, but I don't know what to say.
With something like:
Package: wmaker
Pin: version 0.80.0-5

wmaker will never be upgraded ! :-(

--

-- 
Julien Danjou

 .''`. Debian developer
: :' : http://hno3.org
`. `'  http://people.debian.org/~acid
  `-   GPG: 9A0D 5FD9 EB42 22F6 8974  C95C A462 B51E C2FE E5CD
Junichi Uekawa | 1 Jul 06:07 2002
Picon

where is paul martin? Fw: Returned mail: see transcript for details


I've received the following response when I tried to send to pm <at> debian.org

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:48:40 +0100
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON <at> zetnet.co.uk>
To: postmaster <at> zetnet.co.uk, <dancer <at> netfort.gr.jp>
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

The original message was received at Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:48:39 +0100
from master.debian.org [65.125.64.135]

   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<pm <at> nowster.zetnet.co.uk>
    (reason: system config error)

   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
554 5.3.5 <pm <at> nowster.zetnet.co.uk>... Local configuration error

-- 
dancer <at> debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Joe Wreschnig | 1 Jul 06:21 2002
Picon

Re: apt and pin (?)

On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 23:01, Julien Danjou wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> When I build my own package on my system with the lastest source,
> an "apt-get upgrade" will replace my package; for example
> if i do "apt-get source --build wmaker" and "dpkg -i wmaker*.deb", 
> an "apt-get updgrade" will install the same version of wmaker, but
> from official Debian repository.

If I understand you, you want to e.g. have APT upgrade from wmaker
0.80.0-5 to 0.81.0-1 (or some other upstream bump), but not 0.80.0-6. My
suggestion would be to apt-get source wmaker, edit the changelog and
change the version to 0.80.0-99 or something else ridiculously high, and
then dpkg-buildpackage; dpkg -i wmaker*deb that.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman <at> sacredchao.net>

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Junichi Uekawa | 1 Jul 06:27 2002
Picon

Re: Accepted dpkg 1.10 (i386 source all)

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:20:35 -0400
Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma <at> debian.org> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> Format: 1.7
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:53:15 +0200
> Source: dpkg
> Binary: dpkg-static dselect dpkg-dev dpkg-doc dpkg
> Architecture: source all i386
> Version: 1.10
> Distribution: unstable
> Urgency: low
> Maintainer: Dpkg Development <debian-dpkg <at> lists.debian.org>
> Changed-By: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma <at> debian.org>

a bit of coordination with debootstrap would have been nice.
We now have an uninstallable sid.

regards,
	junichi

-- 
dancer <at> debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

(Continue reading)

Stephen Zander | 1 Jul 06:37 2002
Picon

Re: Bug#151305: Needs to restart cron (and probably others) on upgrade

>>>>> "Sam" == Sam Hartman <hartmans <at> debian.org> writes:
    Sam> What do people think about this?  I'm not sure doing a cron
    Sam> restart on all pam upgrades is right.

How else would you recover from this?  I assume the underlying problem
revolves around processes holding on to old libraries after new
libraries are installed.  As libc6 already has to deal with this issue
it should be relatively easy to lift code to do this for PAM libaries
as well.

-- 
Stephen

"If I claimed I was emporer just cause some moistened bint lobbed a
scimitar at me they'd put me away"

--

-- 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request <at> lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster <at> lists.debian.org

Ben Collins | 1 Jul 06:37 2002
Picon

Re: Accepted dpkg 1.10 (i386 source all)

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 01:27:46PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:20:35 -0400
> Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma <at> debian.org> wrote:
> 
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> > 
> > Format: 1.7
> > Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:53:15 +0200
> > Source: dpkg
> > Binary: dpkg-static dselect dpkg-dev dpkg-doc dpkg
> > Architecture: source all i386
> > Version: 1.10
> > Distribution: unstable
> > Urgency: low
> > Maintainer: Dpkg Development <debian-dpkg <at> lists.debian.org>
> > Changed-By: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma <at> debian.org>
> 
> 
> a bit of coordination with debootstrap would have been nice.
> We now have an uninstallable sid.

I don't think a day or two of sid being uninstallable is that big of a
deal. Just fix whatever needs fixing and get on with it.

--

-- 
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/
Subversion - http://subversion.tigris.org/
Deqo       - http://www.deqo.com/
(Continue reading)


Gmane