Donna Benjamin | 2 May 02:55 2006

TUX raffle for Leon Tonight at LUV meeting.

Hi all,

At tonight's LUV meeting we're holding a chook raffle, with proceeds
going to Leon Brooks and family in lieu of cards and flowers we didn't
send when he was in intensive care.

Leon's now well on the road to recovery which is fantastic news.

Tickets are $5
Prize is a 22 cm fluffy Tux penguin courtesy of Everything Linux.

Those not attending but wanting tickets can email me for further
details.

We'll also be launching the MEL8OURNE bid for linux.conf.au in 2008.

cheers
Donna

LUV - http://www.luv.asn.au/
7pm The Buzzard Lecture Theatre. 
Evan Burge Building. 
Trinity College Main Campus.
Parkville. Melways Map: 2B C5.

--

-- 
MEL8OURNE2008     
linux.conf.au     http://www.mel8ourne.org
must.be.there     donna - bid co-ordinator
(Continue reading)

James Purser | 2 May 12:42 2006

Grant Request From Sokar Phillpot

Hi everyone,

Below is a grant request for Sokar Phillpot. If you could comment on it
that would be great.
-- 
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member
Linux Australia
http://linux.org.au
Picon
From: Sokar Phillpot <sokar@...>
Subject: [LACTTE] grants application
Date: 2006-04-28 00:41:13 GMT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear Folks

Date: APRIL 27 2006

Project Name: BLACK STUMP FOSS

Aim of Project: to open two FOSS  labs

one in Bundaberg
(Continue reading)

Jonathan Oxer | 3 May 02:08 2006
Picon

Re: Grant Request From Sokar Phillpot

Hi Sokar,

> Project Name: BLACK STUMP FOSS
> $2000 to purchase 20 laptops from ITShare SA Inc -=20
> http://itshare.org.au/

This looks like a very cool project, but I just have a couple of questions.

* The requested amount equates to $100 per laptop, but ITShare list a
price of $330 per laptop on their site. Is the amount correct? Are
ITShare providing discounted hardware to help support the project?

* Could you please tell us a little more about the group that intends
to run this project and what other resources you have? Do you have a
team of volunteers from Bundaberg LUG all lined up and venues
available?

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan
Terry Dawson | 3 May 02:51 2006
Picon

Anyone with admin rights to cyberknights.com.au?


Leon's mail is bouncing. There appears to be some problem preventing
delivery of the mail to his machine.

Is there anyone on the list that knows Leon and could assist in
remedying the problem?

regards
Terry

--

-- 
Treasurer, Linux Australia - http://www.linux.org.au/
Matt Palmer | 2 May 21:14 2006
Picon

Re: Grant Request From Sokar Phillpot

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:42:00PM +1000, James Purser wrote:
> Date: APRIL 27 2006
> Project Name: BLACK STUMP FOSS
> Aim of Project: to open two FOSS  labs
> 
> one in Bundaberg
> one in Worrabinda

Do you have space organised to set up these labs?  Presuming you're going to
have 10 machines per location, you can't exactly run that in someone's shed.

> for community and training use

Can you expand on this a little?

> The Bundaberg Linux group will provide support in terms of training,=20
> networking and installation

What actual commitments have you gotten from people in this regard?

> Person Responsible for Request: Sokar Phillpot
> 
> Request:
> $2000 to purchase 20 laptops from ITShare SA Inc -=20
> http://itshare.org.au/

There's a post on the ITShare website stating that the starting price for
laptops is $330 -- have you gotten some sort of special deal with ITShare?

Why laptops?  They're theft-prone, the old ones typically have fairly poor
(Continue reading)

Senectus . | 3 May 03:20 2006
Picon

Re: Anyone with admin rights to cyberknights.com.au?

On 5/3/06, Terry Dawson <terry@...> wrote:
>
> Leon's mail is bouncing. There appears to be some problem preventing
> delivery of the mail to his machine.
>
> Is there anyone on the list that knows Leon and could assist in
> remedying the problem?
>
> regards
> Terry

Leon appears to be out and about and made a post to his blog yesterday
about something that may be the same problem:
http://leonbrooks.blogspot.com/2006/05/things-which-can-come-unstuck-after.html

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06
The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono
Karl Goetz | 3 May 03:29 2006
Picon

Re: Grant Request From Sokar Phillpot

Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> Hi Sokar,

Hi all.
> 
>> Project Name: BLACK STUMP FOSS
>> $2000 to purchase 20 laptops from ITShare SA Inc -=20
>> http://itshare.org.au/
> 
> This looks like a very cool project, but I just have a couple of questions.
> 
> * The requested amount equates to $100 per laptop, but ITShare list a
> price of $330 per laptop on their site.  Is the amount correct? Are
> ITShare providing discounted hardware to help support the project?

I haven't heard of the project, but I might be out of the loop if its a 
recent thing. I'm ccing to the ITShare committee list to see what 
responses I can get.

Karl

> 
> * Could you please tell us a little more about the group that intends
> to run this project and what other resources you have? Do you have a
> team of volunteers from Bundaberg LUG all lined up and venues
> available?
> 
> Cheers   :-)
> 
> Jonathan
(Continue reading)

Jennifairy | 3 May 04:22 2006
Picon

Re: [Committee] Grant Request From Sokar Phillpot

Karl Goetz wrote:

>Jonathan Oxer wrote:
>  
>
>>Hi Sokar,
>>    
>>
>
>Hi all.
>  
>
>>>Project Name: BLACK STUMP FOSS
>>>$2000 to purchase 20 laptops from ITShare SA Inc -=20
>>>http://itshare.org.au/
>>>      
>>>
>>This looks like a very cool project, but I just have a couple of questions.
>>
>>* The requested amount equates to $100 per laptop, but ITShare list a
>>price of $330 per laptop on their site.  Is the amount correct? Are
>>ITShare providing discounted hardware to help support the project?
>>    
>>
>
>I haven't heard of the project, but I might be out of the loop if its a 
>recent thing. I'm ccing to the ITShare committee list to see what 
>responses I can get.
>
>Karl
(Continue reading)

Jonathan Oxer | 3 May 05:08 2006
Picon

President's Report, May 2006

Hi LA,

Time for the monthly round-up from around LAustralia.

If you're on a sub-committee and you don't like seeing "Nothing to
report" under your section then me something to report!

========================================
= Project Sub-Committees
========================================
* linux.conf.au 2007
Nothing major to report at this stage, but things are progressing
behind the scenes with setup of banking facilities and other essential
infrastructure. Everything on track and looking (extremely) good.

* Education
Nothing to report.

* Advocacy
Nothing to report.

* Media
Nothing to report.

========================================
= Administrative Sub-Committees
========================================

* Mirror
Nothing to report, but if you have any ideas for content to be placed
(Continue reading)

Alan Harper | 3 May 04:55 2006
Picon

Re: Re: Grant Request From Sokar Phillpot


> > The Bundaberg Linux group will provide support in terms of training,=20
> > networking and installation
> 
> What actual commitments have you gotten from people in this regard?
Basically, I said I would do it :)
I will get things up and running here in Bundaberg, with some assistance
from some of the members of our small LUG

--

-- 
Alan Harper
IT Consultant -  Need Linux, Windows, Networks, Programming? Contact me!
M: 0424 922 332 P: (07) 4152 0754 e: alan@... w: www.aussiegeek.net

Gmane