Karin Purser | 1 Dec 03:15 2005

Competition

Hi All,

Just a reminder to get those entries in for the "community member of the
year"

Send your entries to:       comp.lugroundup@...

You don't have to have donated $5000 worth of computers or something
huge to be eligable. In what ever way you or someone you know has
contributed, no matter how small you think, we would love to read about it.

Cherio,
Karin.

"May all you hopes and dreams be just around the corner"

You can find the podcasts at
http://mirror.linux.org.au/podcasts/la-update
lugroundup@...
Karin Purser | 2 Dec 08:32 2005

[Fwd: [dunlug] Open source beer recipe!]

"What's this "Vores Øl"?

 Vores Øl (Our Beer) is a great tasting energetic beer and it's the 
world's first open source beer! It is based on classic ale brewing 
traditions but with added guarana for a natural energy-boost. Version 
1.0 is a medium strong beer (6% vol) with a deep golden red color and an 
original but familiar taste....
We think that our open source beer is a nice twist on this quote, and we 
think it is interesting to see if our beer grows stronger, out in the 
free, and perhaps one day becomes the Linux of beers.
Who knows?" http://www.voresoel.dk/main.php?id=70
Kathinka.

-- 
Cherio,
Karin

"May all you hopes and dreams be just around the corner"

You can find the podcasts at
http://mirror.linux.org.au/podcasts/la-update
lugroundup <at> k-sit.com

--

-- 
SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List - http://slug.org.au/
Subscription info and FAQs: http://slug.org.au/faq/mailinglists.html

James Purser | 3 Dec 01:01 2005

With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

I posted the following on my blog and I thought I would post it here and
see if we could get some agreement on a couple of the issues (I know, I
know).

I have been hesitant to bring this up seeing as the last time it was
brought up, a couple of people managed to hijack the debate and turn it
into a flamefest, however with elections coming up soon I thought I
would throw some ideas about and see what the rest of the community
thinks. 
________________________________________________________________________
First off I would like to revisit the idea of extending the terms of the
office holders(President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) on
the committee. One year is really not enough for someone to get elected,
get used to the position and the responsibilities and then get stuck
into long term projects. In my opinion two year terms would be best .
This allows for a period of adjustment to the role, catching up with
issues and so on and then it gives ample time to get stuck into building
the organisation and exploring new avenues and projects. Also having one
year terms for the ordinary members gives those who would like to
contribute more to the organisation a chance to see what working on the
committee will be like without having to commit to the full two years.

Secondly I would like to bring up New Zealand. Matt Brown from
Wellington LUG raised an interesting point in this message on the
linux-aus mailing list. Should we be looking at maybe taking on the role
of Linux Australasia, becoming a body that represents LUGs and the FOSS
community both here and in New Zealand? This is of course predicated on
whether the New Zealand FOSS community would want to be part of such an
organisation. Personally I think this idea is not such a bad thing.
Having a look around the community in New Zealand there is some really
(Continue reading)

James Purser | 3 Dec 01:27 2005

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

> Matt Brown from Wellington LUG 

Slight correction, Matts from Waikato LUG not Wellington
--

-- 
James Purser
Chief Talking Guy - Linux Australia Update
http://k-sit.com - My Blog
http://la-pod.k-sit.com - Linux Australia Update Blog and Forums
Skype: purserj1977
Andrew Donnellan | 3 Dec 01:24 2005
Picon

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

On 12/3/05, James Purser <purserj@...> wrote:
> I posted the following on my blog and I thought I would post it here and
> see if we could get some agreement on a couple of the issues (I know, I
> know).
>
> I have been hesitant to bring this up seeing as the last time it was
> brought up, a couple of people managed to hijack the debate and turn it
> into a flamefest, however with elections coming up soon I thought I
> would throw some ideas about and see what the rest of the community
> thinks.
> ________________________________________________________________________
> First off I would like to revisit the idea of extending the terms of the
> office holders(President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) on
> the committee. One year is really not enough for someone to get elected,
> get used to the position and the responsibilities and then get stuck
> into long term projects. In my opinion two year terms would be best .
> This allows for a period of adjustment to the role, catching up with
> issues and so on and then it gives ample time to get stuck into building
> the organisation and exploring new avenues and projects. Also having one
> year terms for the ordinary members gives those who would like to
> contribute more to the organisation a chance to see what working on the
> committee will be like without having to commit to the full two years.

Yes.

>
> Secondly I would like to bring up New Zealand. Matt Brown from
> Wellington LUG raised an interesting point in this message on the
> linux-aus mailing list. Should we be looking at maybe taking on the role
> of Linux Australasia, becoming a body that represents LUGs and the FOSS
(Continue reading)

Pia Waugh | 3 Dec 02:56 2005

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Hi James,

<quote who="James Purser">

> First off I would like to revisit the idea of extending the terms of the
> office holders(President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) on
> the committee. One year is really not enough for someone to get elected,
> get used to the position and the responsibilities and then get stuck
> into long term projects. In my opinion two year terms would be best .
> This allows for a period of adjustment to the role, catching up with
> issues and so on and then it gives ample time to get stuck into building
> the organisation and exploring new avenues and projects. Also having one
> year terms for the ordinary members gives those who would like to
> contribute more to the organisation a chance to see what working on the
> committee will be like without having to commit to the full two years.

I can agree with that in principle, the only problem is that what if you get
the wrong president or treasurer? If they were good and re-ran then they'd
get in anyway, so perhaps an expectation of two years commitment as part of
the job description but maintaining the elections yearly?

<snip NZ bit>
I think this isn't only a question of what we want, would the NZ LUGs be
happy to be under an Australian banner? I'm chatting to Matt about this too
atm, and I personally think that it makes more sense for there to be a Linux
NZ (or FOSS NZ, or whatever!) and for us to work closely with them on
regional issues. I know that as a SLUG person (Sydney LUG) I probably
wouldn't be comfortable coming under the banner of an overseas national FOSS
org, so why would their LUGs feel that way? Our national FTA, ICT industry
and other issues are closely tied in with what the government and Aussie
(Continue reading)

Andrew Donnellan | 3 Dec 03:04 2005
Picon

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

On 12/3/05, Pia Waugh <greebo@...> wrote:
> I personally think that Linux Australia could participate more formally in
> the IOSN (www.iosn.net), which would be a way for us to work closer with
> other orgs in our region for the support and advancement of FOSS and FOSS
> principles. But that's another story :)

yes. I think LA should participate a bit more in international orgs
about Free Software/OSS - IOSN, FSF, FFII, etc. Just my 2c though.

andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.
Get free domains - http://www.ezyrewards.com/?id=23484
David Lloyd | 3 Dec 03:12 2005
Picon

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas


Pia,

> <snip NZ bit>
> I think this isn't only a question of what we want, would the NZ LUGs
> be happy to be under an Australian banner? I'm chatting to Matt about
> this too atm, and I personally think that it makes more sense for
> there to be a Linux NZ (or FOSS NZ, or whatever!) and for us to work
> closely with them on regional issues. I know that as a SLUG person
> (Sydney LUG) I probably wouldn't be comfortable coming under the
> banner of an overseas national FOSS org, so why would their LUGs feel
> that way? Our national FTA, ICT industry and other issues are closely
> tied in with what the government and Aussie industry is doing, and we
> can't expect LA to be seen to be adequately representative of NZ LUGs
> in the same way, even if there was an NZ sub-committee or something.
> Linux NZ would be able to be stronger in its local lobbying than
> trying to lobby as Linux Australia.

Agreed, however an Oceanic Region umbrella body might be an interesting
thing for the peak bodies to investigate - or even maybe a quarterly
telephone hookup with interpreters if necessary? No doubt something like
this is informally happening however I can't see how Linux Australia
saying "We're also part of Linux Oceania and this open standards
document has been formulated so that it's interoperable with Linux NZ,
Linux Timor etc etc" would hurt...

DSL
Pia Waugh | 3 Dec 03:19 2005

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Hi David,

<quote who="David Lloyd">

> Agreed, however an Oceanic Region umbrella body might be an interesting
> thing for the peak bodies to investigate - or even maybe a quarterly
> telephone hookup with interpreters if necessary? No doubt something like
> this is informally happening however I can't see how Linux Australia
> saying "We're also part of Linux Oceania and this open standards
> document has been formulated so that it's interoperable with Linux NZ,
> Linux Timor etc etc" would hurt...

I think the IOSN (www.iosn.net) can fulfill this role nicely. _And_ it is
United Nations backed so has some street cred :) I think it offers a place
for national orgs to work together on such things. I've been chatting to
them a lot, and want to get LA and our community more involved.

Cheers,
Pia

--

-- 
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                      "What are we doing today brain?"
              "We're taking over the world like we always do."
                           - Pinky and the Brain
David Lloyd | 3 Dec 03:23 2005
Picon

Re: With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas


Hmmmm...

> I think the IOSN (www.iosn.net) can fulfill this role nicely. _And_ it
> is United Nations backed so has some street cred :) I think it offers
> a place for national orgs to work together on such things. I've been
> chatting to them a lot, and want to get LA and our community more
> involved.

The acronym ending with N?

:P

Gmane