Julien ÉLIE | 23 Mar 21:48 2010

Newsgroup names with IDNA


Hi all,

When specifying internationalized newsgroup names, will other separators
than the usual dot between newsgroup components be considered?

RFC 3490 (Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications) mentions:

   1) Whenever dots are used as label separators, the following
      characters MUST be recognized as dots:  U+002E (full stop), U+3002
      (ideographic full stop), U+FF0E (fullwidth full stop), U+FF61
      (halfwidth ideographic full stop).

Of course, newsgroup names can go on using only the usual full stop.
Anyway, it would perhaps be interesting to allow other kind of full stops.
DNS uses them (but e-mail does not allow them).

It was just a suggestion.  Maybe silly...

--

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Aux quatre coins de l'Hexagone. » 

Charles Lindsey | 24 Mar 12:59 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Newsgroups names with IDNA


>Hi all,

>When specifying internationalized newsgroup names, will other separators
>than the usual dot between newsgroup components be considered?

>RFC 3490 (Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications) mentions:

>   1) Whenever dots are used as label separators, the following
>      characters MUST be recognized as dots:  U+002E (full stop), U+3002
>      (ideographic full stop), U+FF0E (fullwidth full stop), U+FF61
>      (halfwidth ideographic full stop).

>Of course, newsgroup names can go on using only the usual full stop.
>Anyway, it would perhaps be interesting to allow other kind of full stops.
>DNS uses them (but e-mail does not allow them).

I would hope we would insist on U+002E (full stop). The idea always was to
insist on NFKC normalization, which I would expect to collapse all of
those.

BTW,

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-base-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-email-00.txt

have just been published, and if we do add EAI extensions to Netnews, then
those mechanism might come in handy for downgrading the Newsgroups header
when gatewaying to non-EAI mailing lists.

(Continue reading)

Nick Teint | 26 Mar 12:12 2010

Re: Newsgroups names with IDNA


Hi!

2010/3/24 Charles Lindsey <chl <at> clerew.man.ac.uk>:
> BTW,
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-base-00.txt
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-email-00.txt
>
> have just been published, and if we do add EAI extensions to Netnews, then
> those mechanism might come in handy for downgrading the Newsgroups header
> when gatewaying to non-EAI mailing lists.

Thanks for posting this here. There's also a proposal for newsgroup names:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-newsgroup-00.txt

NT

Charles Lindsey | 30 Mar 15:31 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: No subject given


>Hi!

>2010/3/24 Charles Lindsey <chl <at> clerew.man.ac.uk>:
>> BTW,
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-base-00.txt
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-email-00.txt
>>
>> have just been published, and if we do add EAI extensions to Netnews, then
>> those mechanism might come in handy for downgrading the Newsgroups header
>> when gatewaying to non-EAI mailing lists.

>Thanks for posting this here. There's also a proposal for newsgroup names:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-newsgroup-00.txt

OK, I shall look at that Tuits permitting. But current thinking is that
News should be extended with EAI (when that has settled down), so
downgrading should only be needed when gatewaying to non-EAI email, at
which point the Newsgroups header is only for information. But since
newsgroup-names are case insensitive and pretty similar in appearance to
domain names, then punycoding them should be pretty straightforward.

But so long as newsgroups names remain within the netnews environment,
vicious normalization will be essential, because they will be routed by
the simplest of octet-for-octet comparisons.

--

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
(Continue reading)


Gmane