Spencer Dawkins at IETF | 24 Nov 22:03 2015

Starting up TSV-ART

Martin and I mentioned that we will be closing TSV-DIR and starting up a TSV Area Review Team (TSV-ART), but we didn't actually solicit members when we talked in Yokohama. 

If you're willing to serve on TSV-ART (and a couple of people have already stepped forward), please let Martin and I know by December 4.


Spencer, for Spencer and Martin
Spencer Dawkins at IETF | 21 Oct 19:23 2015

Transport AD office hours

Just to make sure people have seen this, Martin and I are doing office hours in Yokohama. 

The details are in https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/94/agenda.html, but it's Monday, 17:10-18:30, in Room 312.

This is what it looks like when your ADs are awake enough to arrange this in time to include it in the formal agenda :-)

Martin Stiemerling | 17 Aug 07:14 2015

Meeting minutes of TSVAREA <at> IETF-93 online

Hi all,

You can find the meeting minutes of TSVAREA session  <at> IETF-93 here:

Let Spencer and me know if you catch something that is inaccurate or 

Thanks to Andrew McGregor for taking the minutes!



Jose Saldana | 21 Jul 16:50 2015

Bar-BoF about Simplemux and TCM moved to Thursday

Hi all,


In order to avoid interference with the QUIC Bar-BoF on Wednesday, the Bar-BoF about traffic optimization with Simplemux has been moved to:


Thursday 20:15. (You may lose half the bits & bytes) We will meet near the Registration Desk.


A summary about Simplemux is here: http://www.slideshare.net/josemariasaldana/simplemux-a-generic-multiplexing-protocol. In fact, these are the slides to be used in the presentation at GAIA session in Prague next Wednesday 9.00: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/93/agenda/gaia/


Simplemux is a lightweight protocol designed for creating a tunnel of multiplexed packets. We have built an implementation: https://github.com/TCM-TF/simplemux.


When combined with ROHC compression, significant savings can be obtained as e.g. a 45% bandwidth reduction when multiplexing a number of RTP VoIP flows together.


The idea of the Bar-BOF is to give a more detailed explaining about Simplemux, and to show the protocol running between a set of (virtual) machines.


The implementation has been built in C, and it can even run in a low-cost Access Point running OpenWRT.


Best regards,


Jose Saldana


Jana Iyengar | 20 Jul 11:20 2015

QUIC BarBoF this Wednesday

Hello all,

We will be running a BarBoF on QUIC this week, where we will be presenting the current state of QUIC and gauging interest in other implementations of QUIC, with an eye towards kicking off a standardization effort in the near future.

When: Wednesday (July 22), from 8:20PM to 10:00PM.
Where: Congress Hall 1.
There will be light snacks, etc.

Relevant drafts:
These are works-in-progress, and we very much appreciate any feedback on the docs!

Hope to see you there!
- jana
Martin Stiemerling | 16 Jul 18:10 2015

Meet your Area Directors: TSV AD "office hours" at IETF-93

Dear all,

This is the announcement of the TSV AD "office hours" at the IETF-93 

The office hours are for the case there are things that you need to 
discuss with the Transport Area Directors in person and aren't able to 
pin us down any other time.

The time slot reserved for the office hours is

Monday, July 20
17:40-18:40 	Monday Afternoon session III

in the Hercovka room.

Please let us know in advance if you are planning to meet us, so that we 
can plan a bit ahead, if possible.


   Spencer & Martin

Martin Stiemerling | 23 Jun 22:32 2015

What the TSV ADs say about what TSVAREA said about the TSV AD position at IETF 92

Hi all,

Spencer and I have been collecting input from the Transport community 
about the Transport Area Director (AKA TSV AD) positions at IETF-92.

This email summarizes in a bullet style list what the TSV ADs say about 
what TSVAREA said about the TSV AD position

Let us know what your thoughts and ideas are!

Format of this text (exported from a working slide set, so do not get 
confused if the text says 'slides' in many places :)

Suggestions from IETF 92 TSVAREA session.
“Q:” slides are unedited suggestions.
“A:” slides are TSV AD thoughts on “Q:” slides.
This material is from the community. It is not from the current ADs 

Q: Jobsharing
Two TSV folk talked to last year’s Nomcom about splitting one AD 
position and working out the details between them
Neither was able to serve as the only replacement for Spencer
They said Nomcom rejected the idea

We had talked about this before IETF92.
It would be challenging for Nomcom (but maybe easier than finding one AD).
If this morphed into a multi-person Area Director function, that could 
give you a Smallerized IESG.
This would be similar to the RFC Editor morphing from Jon Postel to the 
function we have today.

Q: Splitting the AD role
Details need to be worked (“duh!”). But you need a title for employers 
(something like “Deputy AD”).
Deputy ADs would perform some, but not all, tasks that ADs perform today.
This is not delegation unless there’s an appeal.

A: Splitting the AD role
This may touch a fair amount of BCP text immediately.
This could be consistent with the initial Smallerizing proposal, 
depending on where that goes. If so ...
We need to move fast on the Smallerizing proposal in the next six 
months, if this is going to help TSV.

Q: Add a third AD
Same description as generic AD, but time commitment is 15-25 hours 
instead of 20-40
Open to the possibility that all three ADs might not be peers
Potentially unequal time commitments

A: Add a third AD
We are already reducing the time commitment is 15-25 hours for TSV ADs, 
whether we have two ADs, or three, so that part is happening.
This was the smallest change we could think of.
If we don’t add a third TSV AD, we need to make bigger changes (“go big 
or go home”).

Q: Fix the funding problem directly
Funding problem is the worst for academics and researchers
Can’t get US researchers funded as ADs at all. EU researchers a little 
better but still very hard
Funding from ISOC? Funding from ICANN?
Google concerned that direct funding would cause (apparent or real) 
conflicts of interest

A: Fix the funding problem directly
Biggest change the community proposed.
Not sure how it helps attract researchers and academics.
We’ve heard concerns about “full time standards people” for years. This 
may be more so.
If we do this, it’s not clear why the proposal would be limited to TSV.

Q: Size the area for available ADs
Stop doing academic exercises
Start closing working groups
Reduce the number of documents in process

A: Size the area for available ADs
We are closing working groups now.
We are giving away working groups now.
Not clear how much more we can downsize.
“Core TSV only” is still something like 10 WGs.
Much new IAB Stack Evo work fits in core TSV.

**Summary of TSV AD responses
Jobsharing - would help
Use Deputy ADs - would help
Add a third AD - would help
Fix funding problem - wouldn’t help
Resize TSV area - wouldn’t help

   Spencer and Martin

Martin Stiemerling | 23 Jun 17:51 2015

Time for new Transport Area Director nominees

Dear all,

My current term as Transport Area Director will end in April 2016 at the 
IETF-95 meeting.

I do not plan to stand again as Transport Area Director for a third term.

So, it is time for new Transport Area Director nominees :-)

In case you are interested, but you have questions about the Area 
Director role, feel free to contact me by email or see me at the 
upcoming IETF meeting.

Thank you,


Linlin Zhou | 12 Jun 08:11 2015

Re: Fw: Fw: I-D Action: draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut-00.txt

Hi Xiaowei,

- Regardless of the UATN approach you mentioned in the document, I
feel like this is something like a reverse CDN. So I am wondering why
CDN providers do not have motivation to to this work? Is it technical
issues or not a problem at all.

- According to the report in [1], throughput measurements
   from over 1.5 million mobile devices have shown that compared with an
   average downstream throughput of over 1860 Kbps, the average upstream
   throughput is only about 430 Kbps.  This is because of the adoption
   of cache techniques such as CDNs to acelerate downloading large
   content that moves the "content" closer to end users.

I think the numbers you listed are not enough to prove the conclusion.
Do you have more detailed examples?

- typo in Figure 5
No arrow III is indicated in the paragraph.

> From: qinxiaowei <at> cnnic.cn
> Date: 2015-05-29 11:47
> To: tsvwg; tsv-area
> Subject: Fw: Fw: I-D Action: draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut-00.txt
> Dear all,
> I proposed an approach to upload acceleration transport network for upstream
> traffics, and the drafts was submitted.
> This is the link, http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut/
> Any comments are welcome.
> Regards,
> Xiaowei Qin
> From: internet-drafts
> Date: 2015-05-29 11:16
> To: i-d-announce <at> ietf.org
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut-00.txt
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.
>   Title           : Upload Acceleration Transport Network for Upstream
> Traffics
> Authors         : Xiaowei Qin
>                           Ning Kong
>                           Xiaodong Lee
> Filename        : draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut-00.txt
> Pages           : 12
> Date            : 2015-05-28
> Abstract:
>    Photos, videos and other upstream traffics generated by end users are
>    rapidly increasing these days and expected to continue doing so in
>    the future.  A lot of factors, such as long round-trip-time (RTT),
>    low robustness of delivery, and transport bottlenecks, etc., lead to
>    low upload rate, which cause poor user experiences.  This draft
>    discusses an Upload Acceleration Transport Network(UATN) for upstream
>    traffics that use distributed cache servers and separates the upload
>    transaction into two parts for greater network efficiency.
> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut/
> There's also a htmlized version available at:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut-00
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> I-D-Announce <at> ietf.org
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Alissa Cooper | 2 Jun 23:09 2015

James Polk

I wanted to let you know that our colleague and friend James Polk passed away last week. James had been
participating in the IETF for over a decade. Over the years he made many valuable contributions that
spanned the areas, with particular focus on SIP, emergency services, geolocation, and differentiated
services. Beyond his technical work, he sought to make improvements in the role of WG chair and the IETF
overall. I think we all knew him as a fierce defender of the solutions he believed in who also had a softer
side. He will be missed at the IETF and at Cisco.

Please keep James' family in your thoughts.


Martin Stiemerling | 29 May 07:42 2015

FYI draft text desired expertise TSV AD (NOMCOM 2015 cycle)

Dear all,

Spencer and I have finished editing the draft text for the desired 
expertise for the TSV AD in the NOMCOM 2015 cycle.

This is currently under discussion in the IESG and not yet the final 
text which will be sent to the NOMCOM

It is available here:

Let Spencer and me know your comments about this until June 3rd, 2015, 
8pm CEST.


   Spencer and Martin