It looks like there is a relatively high level of interest in starting a new work item in the Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB WG for a 802.3ah / Ethernet First Mile MIB. Up to now I have received mails that confirm the intention to particpate in this work from the following individuals:
- Vincent Bemmel - vincent.bemmel <at> alloptic.com - interest in EPON
- Eduard Beili - EdwardB <at> actelis.com
- Menachem Dodge - Menachem.Dodge <at> infineon.com - copper and relationship w/ ADSL MIB
- Matt Squire - MSquire <at> HatterasNetworks.com (Matt is the sub-chair of the OAM track in the IEEE 802.3ah TF)
- Yonghong Ren - ren <at> appiancom.com
- John Messenger - jmessenger <at> advaoptical.com (only reviewing, not editing)
- Ariel Maislos - ariel.maislos <at> passave.com - EPON
- Glen Kramer - glen.kramer <at> teknovus.com
- Sreen Kottaplli - sreeni <at> centillium.com
- Dr. Ali Abaye - Ali <at> centillium.com
Dr. Masoud Khansari - Masoud <at> centillium.com
- Shuzo Tomita - shuzo <at> ansl.ntt.co.jp
- Kumaran Veerayah - KVeerayah <at> ntu.edu.sg
- Dolors Sala - dolors <at> ieee.org
If I missed anybody, or mis-represented anybody's intentions, please let me know. If there are more individuals interested in participation, please send a message to hubmib <at> ietf.org.
We seem to be in good shape, from an interest level point of view!
The bad news is that we missed the opportunity to meet during the 57th IETF meeting, which will take place in Vienna, in the week of 7/15. If some the people who are interested in this work will attend the IETF meeting, please let me know. We can organize an unofficial meeting or a 'Bar BOF'. However, the core of the discussions will take place on the e-mail list (hubmib <at> ietf.org). Thus the first thing that I need to ask is for anybody who is not subscribed on this list to do it. Instructions can be found on the WG Web page at http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/html.charters/hubmib-charter.html. Other participants from the IEEE 802.3ah TF who are interested to participate in the MIB work are kindly required to subscribe as well. We will stop cross-posting to the IEEE reflector, as soon as the discussion gets started.
The same page contains the current WG Charter. We need to propose an update for Ethernet First Mile MIB, and have it approved by the Area Director and the IESG. I invite starting immediately discussions about the charter proposal, including:
- scope of the work - MIBs only, anything else ??
- relationship with the IEEE 802.3 standards - is the current text OK?
- deliverables - one document, one document per EFM flavor, other combinations?
I expect this to be a challenging piece of work.
Chair, Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB WG