Sini Ruohomaa | 1 Aug 12:36 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.

Hi, Jason,

(Freeciv-i18n: cc'd for thine information and entertainment, as well as
keeping the list awake. ;))

Episode x in our series of "let's see how long mails we can generate" -
sorry 'bout that.

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 10:57 -0700, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> > #: client/text.c:176 client/gui-sdl/mapview.c:626
> > msgid " with "
> > 
> > This string needs a translator comment at the least, but it is also
> > buggy: sentences of any sort should not be split up like this, they
> > should be produced with e.g. "%s with %s" (and translator-commented) so
> > that we can move the with to be somewhere else as well if needed.
> 
> It is a problem.  Building sentences using code is quite problematic. 
> But the alternative is a switch statement with a potentially infinite 
> number of cases.  

The text.c code looks like this:
    impr_type_iterate(i) {
      if (is_improvement_visible(i) && city_got_building(pcity, i)) {
	/* TRANS: previous lines gave other information about the city. */
	if (has_improvements) {
	  astr_add(&str, ", ");
	} else {
	  astr_add(&str, _(" with "));
	}
(Continue reading)

Sini Ruohomaa | 1 Aug 18:55 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.

<URL: http://bugs.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3D19049 >

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 08:36 -0700, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >>From a quick look, you're building a structure like, e.g.
> > "City: Helsinki (Finland(?), Friendly) with Aqueduct" or
> > "City: Helsinki (Finland(?), Friendly), Aqueduct". 
> > (not sure what the difference here is, but I'm not a Freeciv coder :=
))
> 
> No, the text is something like
> 
>    "City: Helsinki (Finland, Friendly) with City Walls" or
>    "City: Helsinki (Finland, Friendly) with City Walls, Coastal Defens=
e" or
>    "City: Helsinki (Finland, Friendly) with City Walls, Coastal Defens=
e,
> SDI Defense"
> 
> and so on.  You can see there are a potentially unlimited number of
> cases.  However for the default ruleset the number of cases is clearly
> very limited as only certain buildings are "visible from outside the
> city".  And if we had too long a list, then a list isn't the right way
> to store it anyway.

That does not seem to affect the result - in both cases, "City Walls,
Coastal Defense" or "City Walls, Coastal Defense" or other possibilities
can be built separately and stored to a string, and the start can be
stored to another string, and 
_("%s with %s"), string1, string2 can be translateable. 

(Continue reading)

Christian Knoke | 1 Aug 20:30 2006
Picon

Re: (PR#19049) Problematic/buggy strings.


Hello,

Sini Ruohomaa wrote on Aug 01, 19:55 (+0300):
> <URL: http://bugs.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3D19049 >

You are quite right to post these things. I still don't understand all
grammatical odds of my own language, but I think your suggestions will
help also other translators.

As to the leader / nation names:

> > >>> ------------------------------------------------------------
> > > [We can't follow these kinds of inflictions, and why's %s not e.g.
> > > "(the) Finnish"?]
> > 
> > I don't follow.
> 
> Abbreviated to the point of mangling, it just repeats that we were
> talking about how "%s's" can't be translated, and that %s is suddenly a
> person's name instead of the people's name, which you caught up on on an
> earlier round already. Just to remind, the message was:
> 
> >> msgid "You receive %s's worldmap."
> 
> And if it were e.g. "You recieve the %s worldmap.", filled with
> "Finnish" (instead of e.g. "Tarja Halonen" or "sini"), we can use a word
> that's already been modified to fit that kind of role in a sentence.
> 
> "You recieve the Finnish worldmap." 
(Continue reading)

Tar Dániel | 2 Aug 14:13 2006
Picon

Using SSH key

Hello,=20

Sorry for these many questions, but i'm unable to use the ssh key. I=20
could create it. Can somebody write down for me, how to use this with=20
TortoiseSVN (or Subversion, but rather tortoise). I read many faqs, but i=
=20
always get "invalid port" or "invalid key" messages.

Thank you in anticipation,
Daniel Tar (bDaneE)=0A=0A__________________________________________________=
___________________
A legjobb akci=F3s utaz=E1sok oldala, ahol most rengeteg nyerem=E9ny v=E1r =
R=E1d: http://ad.adverticum.net/b/cl,1,6022,99401,161631/click.prm

Christian Knoke | 2 Aug 15:38 2006
Picon

Re: Using SSH key

Tar Dániel wrote on Aug 02, 14:13 (+0200):
> Hello,=20
> 
> Sorry for these many questions, but i'm unable to use the ssh key. I=20
> could create it. Can somebody write down for me, how to use this with=20
> TortoiseSVN (or Subversion, but rather tortoise). I read many faqs, but i=
> =20
> always get "invalid port" or "invalid key" messages.

This is described here:

http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Svn#Freeciv_source_read-write_access_for_developers_and_translators

Where are your problems in the process? It's a bit tricky to get the
key in on gna.org AFAIR.

Christian

--

-- 
Christian Knoke            * * *            http://cknoke.de
* * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.

stan ioan-eugen | 6 Aug 23:09 2006
Picon

Re: Using SSH key

try cygwin, it's command line, it's simple (you have both svn and ssh).
On 8/2/06, Christian Knoke <chrisk@...> wrote:
>
> Tar Dániel wrote on Aug 02, 14:13 (+0200):
> > Hello,=20
> >
> > Sorry for these many questions, but i'm unable to use the ssh key. I=20
> > could create it. Can somebody write down for me, how to use this with=20
> > TortoiseSVN (or Subversion, but rather tortoise). I read many faqs, but
> i=
> > =20
> > always get "invalid port" or "invalid key" messages.
>
> This is described here:
>
>
> http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Svn#Freeciv_source_read-write_access_for_developers_and_translators
>
> Where are your problems in the process? It's a bit tricky to get the
> key in on gna.org AFAIR.
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Knoke            * * *            http://cknoke.de
> * * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.
>
>
>

(Continue reading)

Tomas Kuliavas | 11 Aug 08:22 2006
Picon
Picon

New translator for Lithuanian

Hi,

My name is Tomas. I am planning to update Freeciv Lithuanian translation.
I've already contacted previous translator and he is busy with other
issues.

Current Freeciv Lithuanian translation contains only 38% translated
strings and some terms are not correct. I will try to reach 100%
translated strings. It is possible that my translation will have mistakes,
but I prefer to translate first and fix mistakes and typos later.

I've already did some gettext translations in SquirrelMail webmail
interface and Gnome.

--

-- 
Tomas

Daniel Markstedt | 13 Aug 04:17 2006
Picon

Re: New translator for Lithuanian

Hi Tomas and welcome to the community!
The best of luck to your translation project. Don't ever hesitate to send
bug report about bad strings or ask questions here at this mailing list.

Sincerely,
--Daniel

On 8/11/06, Tomas Kuliavas <tokul@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My name is Tomas. I am planning to update Freeciv Lithuanian translation.
> I've already contacted previous translator and he is busy with other
> issues.
>
> Current Freeciv Lithuanian translation contains only 38% translated
> strings and some terms are not correct. I will try to reach 100%
> translated strings. It is possible that my translation will have mistakes,
> but I prefer to translate first and fix mistakes and typos later.
>
> I've already did some gettext translations in SquirrelMail webmail
> interface and Gnome.
>
> --
> Tomas
>
>
>

(Continue reading)

stan ioan-eugen | 14 Aug 00:22 2006
Picon

trunk or branches

   Hello,
I am a little bit confused, I don't know on what po file I should work:
- should I translate ro.po file from the trunk or form S2_1 or S2_0 or all
- is there a posibility work on the trunk version of the  translation and
commit the changes to the other branches as well? (and if it is possible i
think this should be on freeciv.org)

best regards.

Daniel Markstedt | 14 Aug 04:43 2006
Picon

Re: trunk or branches

Hello Stan,
Freeciv 'trunk' is the development version, while S2_1 is the 2.1 branch and
S2_0 is the 2.0 branch. No more releases will be made from the S2_0 branch,
so you it is not neccesary to work on its po files.

Right now, trunk and S2_1 are quite similar so it is possible to backport
updated trunk po files to S2_1 without too much fuzziness. We can't IMO not
put this in the wiki as a general recommendation though, because in a few
months the two branches might differ much more.

There are IIRC tools out there that can help you work with different
branches in parallel. I don't use them personally, so I can't recommend any.

Sincerely,
--Daniel

On 8/14/06, stan ioan-eugen <stan.ieugen@...> wrote:
>
>   Hello,
> I am a little bit confused, I don't know on what po file I should work:
> - should I translate ro.po file from the trunk or form S2_1 or S2_0 or all
> - is there a posibility work on the trunk version of the  translation and
> commit the changes to the other branches as well? (and if it is possible i
> think this should be on freeciv.org)
>
> best regards.
>
>
>
>
(Continue reading)


Gmane