Emil Wennerdahl | 1 Jan 13:49 2009
Picon

Re: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."


Hi!!

What is your start command ? 
What kind of dist do you have ?

/E-W

> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:25:59 +0100
> From: hlds_linux <at> vermasslt.de
> To: hlds_linux <at> list.valvesoftware.com
> Subject: [hlds_linux] "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."
> 
> Hi,
> 
> many of my servers are not listed at the masterserver. VAC is enabled, 
> but as the topic says the server cannot connect to the steam servers.
> 
> 
> See:
> 
> Console initialized.
> [...]
> Protocol version 48
> Exe version 1.1.2.6/Stdio (cstrike)
> Exe build: 18:01:18 Oct 24 2008 (4352)
> STEAM Auth Server
> couldn't exec language.cfg
> Enabling LOWDELAY TOS option
> Server IP address .....(an official ip address)
(Continue reading)

Marcel | 1 Jan 14:04 2009
Picon

Re: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."

Emil Wennerdahl wrote:
> Hi!!
> 
> What is your start command ? 
> What kind of dist do you have ?

Environment:
CentOS 5.2
self-compiled 2.6.27.8 Kernel
Multiple IPs
Multiple Servers

Command-Line:
./srcds_amd -game cstrike -port XXXXX +maxplayers 16 -ip XXXXXX +map 
de_dust -tickrate 100 +fps_max 1000 -NoQueuedPacketThread -tvdisable 
-nohltv -nosrctv

But it seems to work today. Maybe just a temporary problem with the 
master server.

cheers and happy new year,

Marcel

Emil Wennerdahl | 1 Jan 15:59 2009
Picon

Re: "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."


Okey!

I think you shuld test with +ip  not -ip

Test and see if it work than :) I hade that problem with my cs 1.6 server

//Emil Happy New Year :)

> Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:04:23 +0100
> From: hlds_linux <at> vermasslt.de
> To: hlds_linux <at> list.valvesoftware.com
> Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."
> 
> Emil Wennerdahl wrote:
> > Hi!!
> > 
> > What is your start command ? 
> > What kind of dist do you have ?
> 
> 
> Environment:
> CentOS 5.2
> self-compiled 2.6.27.8 Kernel
> Multiple IPs
> Multiple Servers
> 
> Command-Line:
> ./srcds_amd -game cstrike -port XXXXX +maxplayers 16 -ip XXXXXX +map 
> de_dust -tickrate 100 +fps_max 1000 -NoQueuedPacketThread -tvdisable 
(Continue reading)

Nephyrin Zey | 2 Jan 03:11 2009
Picon

Re: sourcetv causing server side fps issues

Correction: on non-x86 architectures fPIC doesn't have any significant
performance *dis*advantages.

And on x86 (not on amd64 however) gettimeofday is a syscall, which
causes context switching and is generally bad to call rapidly.

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Nephyrin Zey <Nephyrin <at> doublezen.net> wrote:
> Linux srcds has used a ton of CPU forever. The main frame loop is
> optimized for a windows 66hz timer environment. Hence, linux servers
> are 'perma-boosted' and chug inordinate amounts of CPU for minor FPS
> increases, and they give us no variables to tweak the various sleep
> times/calculations that impact this. SSE2 is still broken in linux
> srcds. it also uses gettimeofday heavily, which was bad enough that
> the l4d team specifically redid that part of the engine. The engine
> uses 2-3% of the CPU entirely idle on kernels with a high response
> rate (HPET/1000hz/other common things), which caused the l4d team to
> put in a hibernation mode.
>
> The x86 binaries still use -fPIC
> On other arches (amd64) it don't have any performance advantage due to
> the necessary calls being there, but on x86 PIC clobbers a register
> and causes call heavy binaries like srcds to use upwards of 6% of
> their CPU time on thunks. Nvidia's linux OpenGL library, mpeg
> decoders, etc, all use non-fPIC shared objects on x86.
>
> And yeah, SourceTV murders my server in CPU usage. I also noticed FPS
> dips to the point where I had to fuck with the sleep timer to make
> things go smoothly. I made a few threads about this but valve isn't
> really all that interested.
>
(Continue reading)

Nephyrin Zey | 2 Jan 03:09 2009
Picon

Re: sourcetv causing server side fps issues

Linux srcds has used a ton of CPU forever. The main frame loop is
optimized for a windows 66hz timer environment. Hence, linux servers
are 'perma-boosted' and chug inordinate amounts of CPU for minor FPS
increases, and they give us no variables to tweak the various sleep
times/calculations that impact this. SSE2 is still broken in linux
srcds. it also uses gettimeofday heavily, which was bad enough that
the l4d team specifically redid that part of the engine. The engine
uses 2-3% of the CPU entirely idle on kernels with a high response
rate (HPET/1000hz/other common things), which caused the l4d team to
put in a hibernation mode.

The x86 binaries still use -fPIC
On other arches (amd64) it don't have any performance advantage due to
the necessary calls being there, but on x86 PIC clobbers a register
and causes call heavy binaries like srcds to use upwards of 6% of
their CPU time on thunks. Nvidia's linux OpenGL library, mpeg
decoders, etc, all use non-fPIC shared objects on x86.

And yeah, SourceTV murders my server in CPU usage. I also noticed FPS
dips to the point where I had to fuck with the sleep timer to make
things go smoothly. I made a few threads about this but valve isn't
really all that interested.

- Neph

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:10 AM, bob dolet <bgcladd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Whenever sourcetv is enabled on a tf2 srcds instance extreme server side fps
> dips occur. This happens regardless of fps settings in the server.cfg and
> with as little as 0 players on the server. Running the 2.6.26.6 kernel with
> RT patch on debian lenny and setting the srcds process to realtime priority
(Continue reading)

Gary Stanley | 2 Jan 06:55 2009
Picon

Re: sourcetv causing server side fps issues

At 09:09 PM 1/1/2009, Nephyrin Zey wrote:
>Linux srcds has used a ton of CPU forever. The main frame loop is
>optimized for a windows 66hz timer environment. Hence, linux servers
>are 'perma-boosted' and chug inordinate amounts of CPU for minor FPS
>increases, and they give us no variables to tweak the various sleep
>times/calculations that impact this. SSE2 is still broken in linux
>srcds. it also uses gettimeofday heavily, which was bad enough that
>the l4d team specifically redid that part of the engine. The engine
>uses 2-3% of the CPU entirely idle on kernels with a high response
>rate (HPET/1000hz/other common things), which caused the l4d team to
>put in a hibernation mode.
>
>The x86 binaries still use -fPIC
>On other arches (amd64) it don't have any performance advantage due to
>the necessary calls being there, but on x86 PIC clobbers a register
>and causes call heavy binaries like srcds to use upwards of 6% of
>their CPU time on thunks. Nvidia's linux OpenGL library, mpeg
>decoders, etc, all use non-fPIC shared objects on x86.
>
>And yeah, SourceTV murders my server in CPU usage. I also noticed FPS
>dips to the point where I had to fuck with the sleep timer to make
>things go smoothly. I made a few threads about this but valve isn't
>really all that interested.
>
>- Neph

64bit binaries would help. I've just finished porting vsyscalls back 
to 2.6.24 series (x86), and I see a minor drop under load. However, 
it doesn't fix the fact
that the engine spends about 1500 cycles an idle loop with source tv 
(Continue reading)

Kevin J. Anderson | 2 Jan 15:59 2009
Picon

OT: l4d server rentals?

I'm considering renting a l4d server somewhere in the middle of the 
country, so that I can play with my primarily east coast buddies w/ a 
good ping.   (they don't ping well to basic server here in phx)

Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum. 
  Seems texas servers are the best compromise from looking around.

Kevin

Patrick Shelley | 2 Jan 16:17 2009
Picon

Re: OT: l4d server rentals?

Im in the UK, but have game servers with MyIS based in the UK - i have had
nothing but excellent performance from them, they would suit you in the USA
i am sure.

On 1/2/09, Kevin J. Anderson <lestat <at> counter-strike.net> wrote:
>
> I'm considering renting a l4d server somewhere in the middle of the
> country, so that I can play with my primarily east coast buddies w/ a
> good ping.   (they don't ping well to basic server here in phx)
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum.
>   Seems texas servers are the best compromise from looking around.
>
> Kevin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, edit your list preferences, or view the list archives,
> please visit:
> http://list.valvesoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/hlds_linux
>
Joseph Laws | 2 Jan 16:20 2009

Re: OT: l4d server rentals?

Google might be a better resource.  Steam is usually uptight about 
discussing rental servers on mailing list or in their forums.

J. Laws

Kevin J. Anderson wrote:
> I'm considering renting a l4d server somewhere in the middle of the 
> country, so that I can play with my primarily east coast buddies w/ a 
> good ping.   (they don't ping well to basic server here in phx)
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum. 
>   Seems texas servers are the best compromise from looking around.
>
> Kevin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, edit your list preferences, or view the list archives, please visit:
> http://list.valvesoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/hlds_linux
>
>   

Kevin J. Anderson | 2 Jan 16:27 2009
Picon

Re: OT: l4d server rentals?

Yeah, I looked around google a bit already.   If theres an issue, please 
feel free to contact me off list at lestat <at> counter-strike.net

Kev

Joseph Laws wrote:
> Google might be a better resource.  Steam is usually uptight about 
> discussing rental servers on mailing list or in their forums.
> 
> J. Laws
> 
> Kevin J. Anderson wrote:
>> I'm considering renting a l4d server somewhere in the middle of the 
>> country, so that I can play with my primarily east coast buddies w/ a 
>> good ping.   (they don't ping well to basic server here in phx)
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum. 
>>   Seems texas servers are the best compromise from looking around.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To unsubscribe, edit your list preferences, or view the list archives, please visit:
>> http://list.valvesoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/hlds_linux
>>
>>   
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, edit your list preferences, or view the list archives, please visit:
(Continue reading)


Gmane