Rick Tanner | 2 Feb 00:20 2012

Fwd: [Crossfire-devel] Compiling crossfire-server on FreeBSD 9.0

Cross post..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Zheng <kevinz5000@...>
Date: Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Subject: [Crossfire-devel] Compiling crossfire-server on FreeBSD 9.0
To: crossfire-devel@...

Greetings everyone.

Today I decided that I would take the latest trunk version of
crossfire-server and compile it on FreeBSD 9.0 from source. For anyone
interested in going through a similar experience, crossfire-server
doesn't like compiling on FreeBSD, but with some modifications to the
configure script and makefiles, seems to work fine. So, here's what I did.

0) Do all of the preparatory work (grabbing arch, map, server, linking
arch into server/lib, etc.)

1) Created configure with the standard "sh autogen.sh"

2) Change the shebang in 'configure' from #!/bin/sh to
#!/usr/local/bin/bash. FreeBSD's /bin/sh isn't at all like bash, and
seems to choke when looking for Python. Bash seems to work fine.

3) Change all instances of '-ldl' to '-lc' in 'configure'. FreeBSD
doesn't have a -ldl, because its dlopen() is in the standard C library.

4) ./configure with your favorite options (mine is --prefix).

(Continue reading)

Nicolas Weeger | 5 Feb 11:13 2012
Picon

Re: Fwd: [Crossfire-devel] Compiling crossfire-server on FreeBSD 9.0

Hello.

Thanks for your tests.

Can you apply the attached patch (via "patch -p0 < freebsd.patch"), recompile, 
relaunch, and send the error message?

Thanks

Nicolas

Le jeudi 02 février 2012 00:20:59, Rick Tanner a écrit :
> Cross post..
> 
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Kevin Zheng <kevinz5000@...>
> Date: Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM
> Subject: [Crossfire-devel] Compiling crossfire-server on FreeBSD 9.0
> To: crossfire-devel@...
> 
> 
> Greetings everyone.
> 
> Today I decided that I would take the latest trunk version of
> crossfire-server and compile it on FreeBSD 9.0 from source. For anyone
> interested in going through a similar experience, crossfire-server
> doesn't like compiling on FreeBSD, but with some modifications to the
> configure script and makefiles, seems to work fine. So, here's what I did.
> 
> 0) Do all of the preparatory work (grabbing arch, map, server, linking
(Continue reading)

Mark Wedel | 14 Feb 08:07 2012
Picon

Crossfire release


  It's been quite a while since there has been a crossfire release, so it seems 
about time for one.

  So I'm thinking that in a couple weeks time, packing up what is there as a 
release and putting it up on sourceforge.

  There are a few reasons for this announcement:
- If there is code/changes that are ready for commit, it gives you time to get 
those committed (a complaint in the past was someone missing the deadline by a 
few days and has to wait for the next release)

- To be aware of this upcoming release, and _not_ to commit large untested 
changes.  Making a release where the code has had little real world testing 
tends not to be good.

- To focus on bug fixes/stability improvements for the next few weeks.

  Since a couple weeks is vague, I'll just say end of the month.  That does not 
mean the release will happen on March 1, but it could, so just take that as a 
deadline.

  Any concerns, questions, issues, let me know.
David McIlwraith | 15 Feb 01:22 2012
Picon

[PATCH] Fix for libpng compilation problem

Hi,

A missing png_setjmp() results in compilation failure in latest
subversion sources on ArchLinux (png_infop's jmp_buf is accessed
directly in one place). A proposed fix is attached.

Regards,
- David McIlwraith <2c93e8f1@...>
Attachment (crossfire-png.patch): text/x-patch, 615 bytes
_______________________________________________
crossfire mailing list
crossfire@...
http://mailman.metalforge.org/mailman/listinfo/crossfire
David McIlwraith | 15 Feb 01:49 2012
Picon

GTK client compilation issue w/ newer autotools

Hi,

X_LIBS does not appear to include libX11 with bleeding-edge auto*
tools; I am not sure if this is an issue with the client source itself
or a problem elsewhere. Nonetheless, on svn r16896 (up-to-date local
ArchLinux [x86_64] system), configure.ac must be modified such that
-lX11 is added in a similar vein to Xext. Noting that I have not
encountered this issue before when packaging the client, I am unsure
as to where the problem lies -- does anyone have any insight here?

Regards,
- David McIlwraith <2c93e8f1@...>
Mark Wedel | 15 Feb 08:16 2012
Picon

Re: GTK client compilation issue w/ newer autotools

On 02/14/12 04:49 PM, David McIlwraith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> X_LIBS does not appear to include libX11 with bleeding-edge auto*
> tools; I am not sure if this is an issue with the client source itself
> or a problem elsewhere. Nonetheless, on svn r16896 (up-to-date local
> ArchLinux [x86_64] system), configure.ac must be modified such that
> -lX11 is added in a similar vein to Xext. Noting that I have not
> encountered this issue before when packaging the client, I am unsure
> as to where the problem lies -- does anyone have any insight here?

  Does pkg-config exist on the system (it may not - it seems like every few 
years yet a new method of determine package information comes out).

  It would be interesting to see what 'pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0' comes back 
with - that should provide the libraries that gtk+ needs.  For example, on my 
solaris system, I get:

pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0
-R/usr/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lsecdb -ltsol -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 
-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lXext -lXrender -lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr 
-lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage -lgio-2.0 -lXfixes -lcairo -lX11 -lpango-1.0 
-lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lpthread 
-lglib-2.0

  Note that -X11 (along with a bunch of other X libraries) is there.

  If pkg-config is not listing those libraries, I would suggest some problem 
with the distribution related to pkg-config not reporting correct information. 
If that information is there, and for some reason the configure is not using it, 
(Continue reading)

David McIlwraith | 15 Feb 10:22 2012
Picon

Re: GTK client compilation issue w/ newer autotools

Hi,

Thanks. Seems that is the case here. X libraries are not listed in the
gtk+-2.0.pc file for some reason.

Regards,
- David McIlwraith <2c93e8f1 <at> gmail.com>

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Mark Wedel <mwedel <at> sonic.net> wrote:
> On 02/14/12 04:49 PM, David McIlwraith wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> X_LIBS does not appear to include libX11 with bleeding-edge auto*
>> tools; I am not sure if this is an issue with the client source itself
>> or a problem elsewhere. Nonetheless, on svn r16896 (up-to-date local
>> ArchLinux [x86_64] system), configure.ac must be modified such that
>> -lX11 is added in a similar vein to Xext. Noting that I have not
>> encountered this issue before when packaging the client, I am unsure
>> as to where the problem lies -- does anyone have any insight here?
>
>
>  Does pkg-config exist on the system (it may not - it seems like every few
> years yet a new method of determine package information comes out).
>
>  It would be interesting to see what 'pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0' comes back
> with - that should provide the libraries that gtk+ needs.  For example, on
> my solaris system, I get:
>
> pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0
(Continue reading)

Sebastian Andersson | 15 Feb 11:51 2012

Compiling 1.60 on OSX.

Its been ages since I really played crossfire. I've looked at the
crossfire web's client's list now and then and there has never been a
new enough OS X client.
I tried the java client some year ago, but it was not really playable,
the character would often start to run and not stop until I typed a
stop running command.

Yesterday I thought, how hard can it be to port a C application to
OSX? After all, I've got both Xcode and homebrew installed. :-)

I looked at http://crossfire.real-time.com/clients/macosx-intel.html
but it seems a bit dated. I also didn't have or want fink.

Here's a small text describing the experience.

I checked out the source code from the tag for 1.60. svn complained
about invalid SSL/TLS certificate, but I temporarily accepted it.
Don't know where the problem lies.

Then I read the README and INSTALL files and was told to run
./configure. Of course, that is not checked in, nor is there any
description about how to make one.

Its been ages since I last used autoconf/automake so I didn't remeber
the order they should be run, but eventually I got a configure file. I
guess the correct order should be:
aclocal; autoconf; automake --add-missing    (I forgot aclocal and had
to change the aclocal.m4 file to get it to run...).

It would have been nice to have some text about what to run, with what
(Continue reading)

Rick Tanner | 16 Feb 18:24 2012

Compiling 1.60 on OSX.


Hello,

> Yesterday I thought, how hard can it be to port a C application to 
> OSX? After all, I've got both Xcode and homebrew installed. :-)

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

What version or release of Xcode did you use?

I wasn't aware of homebrew, thank you for this information.

> Anyway perhaps the home page can be updated a bit with a text about
> it being possible to compile the OSX client?

The client page is (more or less) a mirror of the wiki page located
at, http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/osx

So, yes - when the wiki is updated the Mac OS X (Intel) page get's
updated as well.

Rick Tanner | 16 Feb 18:29 2012

JXClient screen shot request


Hi,

For those who are more familiar and use the JX Client, could you
please send me a screen shot of your client layout?

I am curious to see and compare what options and choices people use.
Plus, I have an opportunity to gather in person feedback from brand
new players this weekend in regards to the client.

Thank you,


Gmane