Mark Wedel | 1 May 01:16 2006
Picon

Re: Sourceforge project admin intervention request

tchize wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Due to a bug in sourceforge security management, only project admins
> have access to the page named 'source logos' which contains the codes
> samples to use on every project webpage hosted on sf. As i will
> publish under crossfire.sourceforge.net/nightly-test the nightly run
> of unit tests, i need a project admin to give me this list of logo.

  I looked on sourceforge, and didn't see anything obvious as it pertains to 
'source logos'.  Can you point me at a page that mentions this - then perhaps I 
can figure out what/where that is located.
Alex Schultz | 1 May 05:40 2006
Picon

Steam Protocol Proposal

Hi,

Recently, elmex and I did some tests regarding compression, we found 
that zlib stream compression is better than selective per-packet 
compression, and also better than than a "hybrid" that I thought of, 
which allows packets to selectively be part of a compressed stream. 
AFAIK, the only drawback to zlib stream compression is CPU usage (which 
shouldn't be very bad really). It's true that you don't get good 
compression on png data and such, but it seems  that the overhead of any 
sort of system to selectively decide if it should compress a packet or 
not, outweighs this in terms of bandwidth.

Also, I was thinking that partially for purposes of password exchange, 
some users may like it if the stream was encrypted. So perhaps 
supporting ssl streams might be an interesting feature.

To accommodate for such things in an expendable manner, I think it would 
be a good idea to have a protocol to have a generic protocol for 
encapsulating itself in a stream of some sort. I propose that a protocol 
such as the following be implemented (with a english translation tabbed 
to the right of what each side is "saying"):

(When the client wants the server to start sending in stream format foo, 
where foo can be something such as 'zlib', 'ssl' or 'plaintext')
C->S: req_recv_stream foo          "May you send me data in stream 
format foo?"
S->C: ack_send_stream foo          "Sure. Here, sending it in format foo 
now"
S->C: <steam in format foo>

(Continue reading)

Rick Tanner | 1 May 22:58 2006

Re: Sourceforge project admin intervention request


tchize wrote:
> 
> Due to a bug in sourceforge security management, only project admins
> have access to the page named 'source logos' which contains the codes
> samples to use on every project webpage hosted on sf. 

Following up on this.. HTML snippets and other information was sent
privately/off-list.

Alex Schultz | 3 May 01:04 2006
Picon

Re: Steam Protocol Proposal

Alex Schultz wrote:

>(When the client wants the server to start sending in stream format foo, 
>where foo can be something such as 'zlib', 'ssl' or 'plaintext')
>C->S: req_recv_stream foo          "May you send me data in stream 
>format foo?"
>S->C: ack_send_stream foo          "Sure. Here, sending it in format foo 
>now"
>S->C: <steam in format foo>
>
An important thing to note, I don't endorse the need for an ssl stream 
mode, that was just for the sake of example. The point was more, 
allowing the types of allowed data streams (mainly for compression, but 
doesn't have to just be for compression) to be extended easily in the 
future if needed.

Alex Schultz
Rick Tanner | 4 May 00:30 2006

Backup(?) CVS via darcs


For possible discussion...

Now that we are looking at week #6 of anonymous CVS access at
SourceForge being offline (and development CVS access off & on during
that time..) what about using something like darcs which is a
distributed revision control system?

http://darcs.net/
http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki

Alex Schultz | 4 May 06:59 2006
Picon

Re: Backup(?) CVS via darcs

I've been thinking about this a bit, and IMHO, switching to anything but 
CVS would be an improvement, and that switching would be good for the 
long term, not just for backup. For one, just about any other version 
control system allows local branches of the code easier which would be 
helpful for working on larger features, and also if we don't use 
sourceforge we will be free from various limitations Here is my opinion 
of Darcs as well as some other alternatives to CVS:

SVN:
Rather nice and mature, and a very easy learning curve from CVS. It has 
the "advantage" that we could stick with sourceforge for version 
control, however that could easily have the same uptime issues as SF CVS 
some time down the road.

Darcs:
Like SVN, also seems to good mature one. I don't know much about it but 
it looks like it might be nicer than either SVN or CVS in many ways. It 
would however have a little bit of a steeper learning curve from cvs 
users, but personally I'm *very* willing to learn it (in fact, I've been 
planing to eventually some time anyways).

Bazaar-ng:
I've tried this python based one a bit, and it seems very nice with good 
features, except two major issues that make it IMHO *not* suitable for 
crossfire: Not very mature of an API and featureset, and also from what 
I understand doesn't work on win32. It is however the best one I've seen 
in terms of ease of making local branches.

Also, as a general note, I believe that in any of these cases, we should 
sync back to SF cvs, because for when that is up, it would be an easier 
(Continue reading)

Alex Schultz | 4 May 07:13 2006
Picon

Re: Backup(?) CVS via darcs

Alex Schultz wrote:

>Darcs:
>Like SVN, also seems to good mature one. I don't know much about it but 
>it looks like it might be nicer than either SVN or CVS in many ways. It 
>would however have a little bit of a steeper learning curve from cvs 
>users, but personally I'm *very* willing to learn it (in fact, I've been 
>planing to eventually some time anyways)
>
Oh, also. Was doing some reading and these are some helpful documents 
for cvs to darcs migration:

http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node2.html#SECTION00220000000000000000
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-July/002351.html

Also, looking at the second one, I see some of the disadvantages of it, 
however compared to CVS, it's still worth it IMHO, however there might 
be better ways to go away from cvs than darcs.

Alex Schultz
David Seikel | 4 May 07:13 2006
X-Face
Picon

Re: Backup(?) CVS via darcs

On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:59:28 -0600 Alex Schultz <alex_sch@...>
wrote:

> and also if we don't use sourceforge we will be free from various
> limitations

Enlightenment, which was the second project to ever join sourceforge,
moved it's cvs completely over to it's own server, just two days before
the big sourceforge cvs server crash.  Everything else was left on
sourceforge.  It's not that we knew the big crash was coming, we just
where tired of all the problems the overworked sourceforge cvs servers
where causing.

Just a data point I thought I would add to this conversation.
_______________________________________________
crossfire mailing list
crossfire@...
http://mailman.metalforge.org/mailman/listinfo/crossfire
Brendan Lally | 4 May 09:47 2006
Picon

Re: Backup(?) CVS via darcs

On 5/4/06, Alex Schultz <alex_sch@...> wrote:
> Here is my opinion
> of Darcs as well as some other alternatives to CVS:

Is there any reason why GNU Arch hasn't been considered in your
comparison? Is there something wrong with it that discounts it
straight away? (NB: I have never used it, but savannah does).
Alex Schultz | 4 May 14:45 2006
Picon

Re: Backup(?) CVS via darcs

Brendan Lally wrote:

>On 5/4/06, Alex Schultz <alex_sch@...> wrote:
>  
>
>>Here is my opinion
>>of Darcs as well as some other alternatives to CVS:
>>    
>>
>Is there any reason why GNU Arch hasn't been considered in your
>comparison? Is there something wrong with it that discounts it
>straight away? (NB: I have never used it, but savannah does).
>
I don't have GNU Arch in my comparison because I don't know enough about 
it to compare at all. No reason that I know of why it wouldn't work 
(though there could be one)

Alex Schultz

Gmane