Claire_B | 5 Jun 17:20 2010
Picon

Perl in shell with portable Emacs installation


I'm usually a Mac/Linux user, but since all the computers at my workplace are
PCs running Windows XP, I'm trying to build a fully integrated,
self-sufficient Emacs system on a USB key.

(I don't have, and can't have, admin rights on these computers and they are
bios-locked so installing new software or booting from a LiveUSB Linux
ddistribution is out of the question).

So far I have a portable install on my usb key with :
- GNU Emacs 23.1 for Windows
- Portable MikTex install
- GSView and SumatraPDF
- R
- sqlite3

and my Emacs works for LateX writing with AucTeX, statistical analysis in R
and database management.

I sometimes need to use perl scripts with my LaTeX files, for example for
counting words. This is where I run into problems : on my mac or linux
machines, I invoke a shell buffer with M-!, type my perl commands and all is
well. However, when I do this on the windows USB install, I get "the perl
interpreter couldn't be found", and no results. I also can't use any unix
commands (grep, patch, etc...)

I've tried installing cygwin 1.7 for the unix tools, and Strawberry Perl
Portable for perl, but I can't figure out how to link them to emacs. I guess
it's only a path problem, but all the info I've found on the internet
relates to "static" (ie on a given computer) installations and I couldn't
(Continue reading)

poti | 6 Jun 19:33 2010

Re: Perl in shell with portable Emacs installation

On 07:15 Sat 05 Jun     , Claire_B wrote:
> 
> I'm usually a Mac/Linux user, but since all the computers at my workplace are
> PCs running Windows XP, I'm trying to build a fully integrated,
> self-sufficient Emacs system on a USB key.
> 
> (I don't have, and can't have, admin rights on these computers and they are
> bios-locked so installing new software or booting from a LiveUSB Linux
> ddistribution is out of the question).
> 

You might have a look at statlive.org. In particular,  I use invocation
directory to set paths for everything else:

;;Set drive letter or mount point, making the software relocatable.
(setq ipoide-root (substring invocation-directory 0 (- (string-match "Emacs" invocation-directory) 1)))

See the files at the end of the page on assembling the portable system:
http://statlive.org/software/livedvd/assembling.html

The project is going through a major upgrade and the goals include trying 
to script the assembly process for the portable environment and organizing 
the project so others can contribute to development. 

Lennart Borgman | 6 Jun 19:31 2010
Picon

Re: Perl in shell with portable Emacs installation

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM,  <poti <at> potis.org> wrote:
> On 07:15 Sat 05 Jun     , Claire_B wrote:
>>
>> I'm usually a Mac/Linux user, but since all the computers at my workplace are
>> PCs running Windows XP, I'm trying to build a fully integrated,
>> self-sufficient Emacs system on a USB key.
>>
>> (I don't have, and can't have, admin rights on these computers and they are
>> bios-locked so installing new software or booting from a LiveUSB Linux
>> ddistribution is out of the question).
>>
>
> You might have a look at statlive.org. In particular,  I use invocation
> directory to set paths for everything else:

I have never seen statlive.org before, but there was another attempt
at something similar on windows:

  http://at-aka.blogspot.com/2006/06/portable-emacs-22050-on-usb.html

I took that idea and made the file usb-setup.el that is included in EmacsW32.

> ;;Set drive letter or mount point, making the software relocatable.
> (setq ipoide-root (substring invocation-directory 0 (- (string-match "Emacs"
invocation-directory) 1)))
>
>
> See the files at the end of the page on assembling the portable system:
> http://statlive.org/software/livedvd/assembling.html
>
(Continue reading)

Claire Billault | 6 Jun 20:39 2010
Picon

Re: Perl in shell with portable Emacs installation


Le 6 juin 2010 à 19:31, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman <at> gmail.com> a  
écrit :

> I have never seen statlive.org before, but there was another attempt
> at something similar on windows:
>
> http://at-aka.blogspot.com/2006/06/portable-emacs-22050-on-usb.html
>
> I took that idea and made the file usb-setup.el that is included in  
> EmacsW32.

That's what I used to set my (working) auctex.
>>
>>
>>

I will definitely try EmacsW32.

Claire Billault | 6 Jun 20:48 2010
Picon

Re: Perl in shell with portable Emacs installation


Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 6 juin 2010 à 19:33, poti <at> potis.org a écrit :
>>
>>
> You might have a look at statlive.org. In particular,  I use  
> invocation
> directory to set paths for everything else:
>
> ;;Set drive letter or mount point, making the software relocatable.
> (setq ipoide-root (substring invocation-directory 0 (- (string-match  
> "Emacs" invocation-directory) 1)))
>
>
> See the files at the end of the page on assembling the portable  
> system:
> http://statlive.org/software/livedvd/assembling.html
>
> The project is going through a major upgrade and the goals include  
> trying
> to script the assembly process for the portable environment and  
> organizing
> the project so others can contribute to development.
>

I have just looked at statlive.org, and I must say I am very  
impressed, especially at the prospect of having a single installation  
that could work on Windows AND Mac (and possibly Linux later on). I  
will toy with it this week, and see how I could integrate Perl.
(Continue reading)

Sean Sieger | 8 Jun 02:13 2010
Picon

emacs-20100607 window binaries

The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
been published in

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Claire_B | 9 Jun 10:22 2010
Picon

Re: Perl in shell with portable Emacs installation


Claire_B wrote:
> 
> 
> I've tried installing cygwin 1.7 for the unix tools, and Strawberry Perl
> Portable for perl, but I can't figure out how to link them to emacs. I
> guess it's only a path problem, but all the info I've found on the
> internet relates to "static" (ie on a given computer) installations and I
> couldn't get them to run on my usb drive (I'm trying to run perl in a
> shell from emacs, not edit perl files in emacs in perl-mode or cperl-mode)
> 

I finally solved the problem. I needed to have the perl and gnuwin32
directories both in the exec-path and the general path.  Invoking perl or
some other command from within Emacs now works.
--

-- 
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Perl-in-shell-with-portable-Emacs-installation-tp28789675p28827314.html
Sent from the Emacs - Windows - Help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

rajesh.jag | 10 Jun 10:44 2010

Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

Hi,

I'm using GNU Emacs 22.3.1 on Windows XP. 

I have some code I edit in a scratchbox instance on a VMWare virtual
machine running Ubuntu Linux Server Edition 9.10.
I ssh to the VM, then start login to scratchbox, and work on the code.

The scratchbox installation has emacsclient installed, and I was
wondering whether it would be possible for me to edit files using
emacsclient and have them open on Emacs running on a different machine -
in this case my Windows install.

The 1st question: Is this even possible? 

The 2nd question: If it is, then how?

The man pages for emacsclient don't say anything about how to connect to
remote emacs servers. Goind through the man page for emacsclient, I get
the feeling options -s, -f and -d could be used to make this happen, but
I don't know what to do next.

Rajesh J Advani

Stephen Leake | 10 Jun 13:41 2010

Re: Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

<rajesh.jag <at> wipro.com> writes:

> I have some code I edit in a scratchbox instance on a VMWare virtual
> machine running Ubuntu Linux Server Edition 9.10.
> I ssh to the VM, then start login to scratchbox, and work on the code.

As an alternative:

Install Cygwin X server (or other X server).

Use X11 forwarding in your ssh session: 'ssh -X -Y ...'.

Run Emacs on the Linux box, with the display on the Windows box.

Works fine, except that the most recent version of X Windows on Cygwin
seems to have some bug that makes it very slow (as of a week ago); I'm
using the "previous" version.

> The scratchbox installation has emacsclient installed, and I was
> wondering whether it would be possible for me to edit files using
> emacsclient and have them open on Emacs running on a different machine -
> in this case my Windows install.

There are methods in Emacs for editing files via various transports. I
don't know if emacsclient knows about them. I find X Windows to be
better.

--

-- 
-- Stephe

(Continue reading)

Kenneth Goldman | 10 Jun 14:31 2010
Picon

Re: Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

Emacs supports ftp and (I'm told) ssh.  So simply start emacs
on your Windows client and edit the files directly on the Linux
machine.

This is independent of emacsclient, and doesn't require X or
cygwin or anything other than running an ftp server on the
Linux box.

help-emacs-windows-bounces+kgold=watson.ibm.com <at> gnu.org wrote on 06/10/2010 04:44:29 AM:

>  
> I have some code I edit in a scratchbox instance on a VMWare virtual
> machine running Ubuntu Linux Server Edition 9.10.
> I ssh to the VM, then start login to scratchbox, and work on the code.
>  
> The scratchbox installation has emacsclient installed, and I was
> wondering whether it would be possible for me to edit files using
> emacsclient and have them open on Emacs running on a different machine -
> in this case my Windows install.
>  
> The 1st question: Is this even possible?
>  
> The 2nd question: If it is, then how?

>


Gmane