Harald Maier | 2 Jun 09:11 2003
Picon

Re: Compiling Emacs on XP, any howto

Sean Rima <GATES <at> tcob1.net> writes:

> Is there a howto to compile a standalone emacs/runemacs under cygwin

You may look at the file emacs-21.3/nt/INSTALL.

Harald

Sean Rima | 2 Jun 15:11 2003
Picon

Re: Compiling Emacs on XP, any howto


On 2 Jun 2003, Harald Maier muttered drunkenly:

> Sean Rima <GATES=X94BbrC6W69eoWH0uzbU5w <at> public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a howto to compile a standalone emacs/runemacs under cygwin
>
> You may look at the file emacs-21.3/nt/INSTALL.
>

I got the cvs version working.

Sean

--

-- 
Q: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Normal Email sean AT tcob1 DOT net  GPG Key Id 7DA70294
              ICQ: 679813  Jabber: tcobone=/eSpBmjxGS4dnm+yROfE0A <at> public.gmane.org 

         THIS IS A SPAM HONEYPOT ADDRESS
Harter, Douglas | 4 Jun 15:22 2003
Picon

Additional ELSE templates

I discovered else-mode for Emacs a few months ago. Since then I have been
working with the author on suggestions and bugs in else-mode. Since I have
done a lot of work in the program which was the father of else-mode, I have
a batch of additional template files available for else-mode. This includes,
but is not limited to perl, fortran, cobol, bourne_shell, and c_shell. See
the below site for a complete list and others I am working on now or will be
working on in the future. They are compatible with else-mode 1.18.

I have a web site available where you can get these templates. It is
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dharter46. If you have any comments on the
site or other questions, contact me at this address or
dharter46 <at> comcast.net.

Chris McMahan | 9 Jun 23:52 2003
Picon
Picon

I found a way to list the c:/ directory

For some time I've had an issue with dired and c:/ directory.

Whenever I use an external ls program the c:/ directory would bug out
because the cygwin ls program inserted the following error message in
the directory listing

ls: c:/pagefile.sys: No such file or directory

which caused dired to choke.

So in order to view the c:/ directory, I've been forced to use
ls-lisp. It's an excellent program, and I like the feature that places
the directories first, but it has always listed the file attributes
incorrectly.

I was perusing the info files, and came across the following snipet
under dired-X:

*************************************
Local Variables for Dired Directories
*************************************

When Dired visits a directory, it looks for a file whose name is the
value of variable `dired-local-variables-file' (default: `.dired').  If
such a file is found, Dired will temporarily insert it into the Dired
buffer and run `hack-local-variables'.
<snip> ...

WELL!!!

(Continue reading)

Jason Rumney | 10 Jun 00:30 2003
Picon

Re: I found a way to list the c:/ directory

Chris McMahan <cmcmahan <at> one.net> writes:

> So in order to view the c:/ directory, I've been forced to use
> ls-lisp. It's an excellent program, and I like the feature that places
> the directories first, but it has always listed the file attributes
> incorrectly.

Incorrect in what way?

Dr Francis J. Wright | 10 Jun 14:12 2003
Picon

Re: I found a way to list the c:/ directory

From: "Chris McMahan" <cmcmahan <at> one.net>
To: "NTEmacs" <help-emacs-windows <at> gnu.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 10:52 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] I found a way to list the c:/ directory

> For some time I've had an issue with dired and c:/ directory.
>
> Whenever I use an external ls program the c:/ directory would bug out
> because the cygwin ls program inserted the following error message in
> the directory listing
>
> ls: c:/pagefile.sys: No such file or directory
>
> which caused dired to choke.

I think that's a bug in Cygwin ls, and I thought it was fixed a long time
ago, but I see it's still there.  I'm pretty sure I wrote some ELisp to hack
around it a long time ago, but now I can't find it.  I probably threw it
away because I thought the bug was fixed.  Essentially, you need to advise
insert-directory to delete the offending error line before ls has output it
but before dired sees it.

> So in order to view the c:/ directory, I've been forced to use
> ls-lisp. It's an excellent program, and I like the feature that places
> the directories first, but it has always listed the file attributes
> incorrectly.

I would also be interested to know exactly what you mean by that.  There is
a fundamental mismatch between file attributes in the Unix and Windows
worlds, so any attempt to give a Unix-like display of Windows file
(Continue reading)

Paul Whitfield | 11 Jun 03:26 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: I found a way to list the c:/ directory

Dr Francis J. Wright wrote:

> From: "Chris McMahan" <cmcmahan <at> one.net>
> To: "NTEmacs" <help-emacs-windows <at> gnu.org>
> Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 10:52 PM
> Subject: [h-e-w] I found a way to list the c:/ directory
> 
> 
> 
>>For some time I've had an issue with dired and c:/ directory.
>>
>>Whenever I use an external ls program the c:/ directory would bug out
>>because the cygwin ls program inserted the following error message in
>>the directory listing
>>
>>ls: c:/pagefile.sys: No such file or directory
>>
>>which caused dired to choke.
> 
> 
> I think that's a bug in Cygwin ls, and I thought it was fixed a long time
> ago, but I see it's still there.  

Just for reference it seems to be fixed in recent releases.

I just tried it and it works for me, both in Cygwin and in emacs
using cygwin ls

Regards
Paul
(Continue reading)

Dr Francis J. Wright | 11 Jun 12:58 2003
Picon

Re: I found a way to list the c:/ directory

From: "Paul Whitfield" <paulw <at> microsol.iinet.net.au>
To: <help-emacs-windows <at> gnu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] I found a way to list the c:/ directory

> >>ls: c:/pagefile.sys: No such file or directory
> >
> > I think that's a bug in Cygwin ls, and I thought it was fixed a long
time
> > ago, but I see it's still there.
>
> Just for reference it seems to be fixed in recent releases.
>
> I just tried it and it works for me, both in Cygwin and in emacs
> using cygwin ls

Cygwin setup reports that my fileutils are up to date.  Maybe it's a
platform difference.  I notice the problem on Win NT; what version of
Windows are you running?

Francis

Chris McMahan | 11 Jun 13:51 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: I found a way to list the c:/ directory

I'm running Windows XP Pro. The other issue I was addressing was the
inconsistency of the listing of file permissions between ls-lisp and
cygwin ls. Here's an example:

using ls-lisp 
  drwxrwxrwx   2        0 Jun  9 14:35 archive/
  drwxrwxrwx   2        0 May  5 07:56 q/
  -rw-rw-rw-   1    20917 Oct 28  2002 comp.emacs
  -rw-rw-rw-   1   224174 Jun  9 14:02 emacs
  -rw-rw-rw-   1   107892 Apr  9 08:51 gnu.emacs.help
  -rw-rw-rw-   1    92414 May 13 10:57 gnu.emacs.sources
  -rw-rw-rw-   1     2938 Apr 22 16:28 gnu.emacs.vm.bug
  -rw-rw-rw-   1    19576 May 13 10:58 gnu.emacs.vm.info

using ls -laFG
  drwxr-xr-x+   7 chris           0 Jun 11 07:36 ./
  drwxr-xr-x+  15 chris           0 Jun 11 07:30 ../
  drwxr-xr-x+   5 chris           0 Jun  9 14:35 archive/
  -rw-------    1 chris       20917 Oct 28  2002 comp.emacs
  -rw-------    1 chris      224174 Jun  9 14:02 emacs
  -rw-------    1 chris      107892 Apr  9 08:51 gnu.emacs.help
  -rw-------    1 chris       92414 May 13 10:57 gnu.emacs.sources
  -rw-------    1 chris        2938 Apr 22 16:28 gnu.emacs.vm.bug
  -rw-------    1 chris       19576 May 13 10:58 gnu.emacs.vm.info
  drwxr-xr-x+   2 chris           0 May  5 07:56 q/

(I truncated the listings for brevity)

The \ls version seems to reflect any changes I make to permissions
using chmod, while the ls-lisp version does not.
(Continue reading)

Dr Francis J. Wright | 11 Jun 14:33 2003
Picon

Re: I found a way to list the c:/ directory

From: "Chris McMahan" <cmcmahan <at> one.net>
To: "Dr Francis J. Wright" <F.J.Wright <at> qmul.ac.uk>
Cc: "Paul Whitfield" <paulw <at> microsol.iinet.net.au>;
<help-emacs-windows <at> gnu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] I found a way to list the c:/ directory

> I'm running Windows XP Pro. The other issue I was addressing was the
> inconsistency of the listing of file permissions between ls-lisp and
> cygwin ls. Here's an example:
>
> using ls-lisp
>   drwxrwxrwx   2        0 Jun  9 14:35 archive/
>   drwxrwxrwx   2        0 May  5 07:56 q/
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1    20917 Oct 28  2002 comp.emacs
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1   224174 Jun  9 14:02 emacs
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1   107892 Apr  9 08:51 gnu.emacs.help
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1    92414 May 13 10:57 gnu.emacs.sources
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1     2938 Apr 22 16:28 gnu.emacs.vm.bug
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1    19576 May 13 10:58 gnu.emacs.vm.info
>
>
> using ls -laFG
>   drwxr-xr-x+   7 chris           0 Jun 11 07:36 ./
>   drwxr-xr-x+  15 chris           0 Jun 11 07:30 ../
>   drwxr-xr-x+   5 chris           0 Jun  9 14:35 archive/
>   -rw-------    1 chris       20917 Oct 28  2002 comp.emacs
>   -rw-------    1 chris      224174 Jun  9 14:02 emacs
>   -rw-------    1 chris      107892 Apr  9 08:51 gnu.emacs.help
>   -rw-------    1 chris       92414 May 13 10:57 gnu.emacs.sources
(Continue reading)


Gmane