Emanuel Berg | 18 Apr 01:12 2015
Picon
Picon

Re: Mail layout and fonts

Eric Brown <brown <at> fastmail.com> writes:

> I agree. It would be fantastic if I could wrap an
> email in a "Use Courier Font to display this email."
>
> Then my beautiful text tables and figures (generated
> in R) could be sent to users who override the font
> of plain text, setting it to variable width fonts.
> Of course, this ruins the formatting and looks
> like gibberish.

Indeed. Tho I decided to stop worrying about that
long ago. It is better to focus on your own activity.
I wish I could impose techno-totalitarianism and make
the entire human race use world-class software with
all the right settings. But I can't so there is no
point being frustrated there. So you just continue
doing your tables and figures and don't worry about
your street cred when they eventually end up in
clients that virtually do a massacre on them...

--

-- 
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Steven Arntson | 16 Apr 16:59 2015

gnus hanging on 1mb+ mails

Gnus has been hanging for me on mails that are 1MB+ (the download gets
to ~940kb and freezes until I cancel it with `C-g'), and I'm wondering
if anyone has any tips on how they would troubleshoot such a problem.
I'm a newish user, and not sure where to start.

emacs 24.4.1
gnus 5.13

Thank you!
steven arntson

Emanuel Berg | 16 Apr 02:54 2015
Picon
Picon

Re: Mail layout and fonts

asjo <at> koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> So, what you need is such a package, and not merely
> an HTML parser, which all the HTML renderers in
> Emacs surely employ :-)

The HTML renderers are perhaps not that modular so you
can just pick them apart, extract the parser and put
it to do something else. That sounds nice though...

--

-- 
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english <at> gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english
Emanuel Berg | 15 Apr 18:47 2015
Picon
Picon

Re: Mail layout and fonts

Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Indeed. It not only seems extreme, it _is_ extreme.
> However, in certain industries this is pretty much
> required. The alternative is to run Outlook or
> Evolution or some other email application that can
> handle it.

Another alternative is not to be a banker :)

Besides now that you nox'd your profession and assumed
income you have to contribute monetarily to the GNU
movement, or else...

:)

> Like it or not, this is how people work in these
> industries and if you're able to avoid it, great.
> That means that you are lucky enough to not need
> what I built. I certainly wish that I didn't have to
> use it myself, but it's either that or not use Gnus.
> I choose the latter. ... That said, compared to the
> amount of time I would have wasted having had to use
> a different email client, it's definitely worth it.

Yes, in principle it is a good approach. I say "in
principle" because sometimes it isn't possible to
bridge that gap satisfactorily. You get a half-baked
result which can be even more frustrating. Say that
Outlook is 50% the way you want it. Adapted Gnus is
(Continue reading)

Emanuel Berg | 15 Apr 18:28 2015
Picon
Picon

Re: Mail layout and fonts

Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I disagree. Sometimes you are working in an
> organisation where Outlook is the main means of
> communication. If so, you need to (unfortunately)
> post messages that conforms to this style.
> This includes including the entire email chain below
> your message, as well as your own messages being
> HTML formatted.

That never happened to me, and God willing it
never will.

I see it even left you post-traumatized because you
don't quote like us but instead answer hanging in the
air and then leave the replied-to post in its entirety
below you post.

Also, it doesn't matter if anyone uses Outlook or Gnus
or any other client for that matter. Well, of course
it matters in the sense that those with style and
precision use Gnus. But it doesn't matter how quoting
should be done, how the signature should be done
(below a double dash and a space, i.e. "-- " as
described in section 4.3 of [1]), and so on. Mails are
interface agnostic - or should be.

> because Emacs does not have a HTML parser so I need
> to call out to an external program for that. I'll be
> happy to provide advice for anyone that wants to try
(Continue reading)

invalid | 15 Apr 13:35 2015

Re: Mail layout and fonts

On 2015-04-15, Elias M??rtenson <lokedhs <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree. Sometimes you are working in an organisation where Outlook is
> the main means of communication. If so, you need to (unfortunately) post
> messages that conforms to this style. This includes including the entire
> email chain below your message, as well as your own messages being HTML
> formatted.

That seems a little extreme. Just because other people are Windows victims
doesn't mean you have to stoop to their level.

I've been working in IT since it was called DP and before there were things
like email or HTML. Since the first sad day HTML was used in email I have
never had anybody complain about me responding to HTML email with a text
email. If I had to guess I would bet this is because the people who use HTML
emailers are too dumb to have any idea what they're doing and are also
incapable of detecting whether some piece of mail they get is in ASCII text
form or not.

Furthermore nobody has complained that I try to post inline or bottom post
although I occasionally do top-post on short replies.

> I wrote an entire package to do this; formatting the emails using
> emacs-muse, and rewriting the DOM of the email chain. In case anyone is
> interested, here's the code: https://github.com/lokedhs/gnus-outlook-style
>
> It takes a bit of an effort to get to run properly, mainly because Emacs
> does not have a HTML parser so I need to call out to an external program
> for that. I'll be happy to provide advice for anyone that wants to try it
> though.

(Continue reading)

flav | 15 Apr 14:01 2015
Picon
Picon

Topics order

Hello,
I am trying to use Topics.
It's very useful
I try to order them manually (I manage to sort, but it's not what I
want).
I don't thinks that modify manually the gnus-topic-topology variable is
a good idea

How can I orders the topic (not the group in the topic) ?

Thanks !
--

-- 
flav

Emanuel Berg | 14 Apr 18:52 2015
Picon
Picon

Re: Mail layout and fonts

flav <at> epita.fr writes:

> I am using gnus for read and send my mails. I try to
> compose mail with a little layout and fonts
> enhancement. I read the manuel (C-h m i gnus) and
> I look on the web. But I did not find. I think
> a must change the mime type of the email but I am
> not so sure.

It is a bad idea. If you are an esthetic person, put
your efforts to the web with HTML and CSS, then move
on to LaTeX where you can do really impressive stuff
(with activity + time, as always).

If you do HTML mails, it is throwing pearls to the
pigs as many people will be annoyed with it (the HTML
- here I mean the HTML in itself, not your particular
efforts), furthermore some people will have configured
their clients not to show it (i.e. those will just
show the text part of your message), and those few who
do not mind or care will just read the message to get
what it is communicating and won't bother with the
decorations anyway.

That doesn't mean it is easy to write good e-mails
(with text only) and that everyone is equally good at
it because it is so basic in terms of technology.
On the contrary: because the technology is so basic,
the limitation is inherent in the technology, and not
put on the user, for whom the sky is the limit.
(Continue reading)

flav | 14 Apr 08:34 2015
Picon
Picon

Mail layout and fonts

Hi,
I am using gnus for read and send my mails.
I try to compose mail with a little layout and fonts enhancement.
I read the manuel (C-h m i gnus) and I look on the web.
But I did not find.
I think a must change the mime type of the email but I am not so sure.

Thanks for help

--

-- 
flav

Mike Small | 9 Apr 16:48 2015
Picon

Re: selectively disabling HTML rendering?

asjo <at> koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
> One way to handle this is to split those emails into a group by
> themselves, and use group parameters to add special configuration for
> just that group.
>
> Just an idea :-)

Just what I was looking for. I was even half way there, already having
had a group for it. But I didn't know about group parameters.

Thank you.

--

-- 
Mike Small
smallm <at> panix.com
_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english <at> gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english
Mike Small | 7 Apr 23:13 2015
Picon

selectively disabling HTML rendering?


Is there an easy way to selectively disable HTML rendering, dependent
upon header info? I've come up with the following, which does what I
want, but I don't like its chances across emacs upgrades:

(defun mms-gnus-mime-display-alternative (handle)
  "My own function for displaying mime multipart/alternative articles in Gnus
Use by placing in gnus-mime-multipart-functions.

Beware when upgrading. Some of this is copied out of and makes assumptions about
gnus-mime-display-part from version 5.13 of Gnus.  It also bypasses 
gnus-mime-display-multipart-as-mixed and gnus-mime-display-multipart-alternative-as-mixed."
  (let ((id (1+ (length gnus-article-mime-handle-alist)))
	(mm-discouraged-alternatives
	 (if (string= (get-text-property 0 'from (car handle))
		      "wsmith <at> wordsmith.org")
	     (list "text/html")
	   mm-discouraged-alternatives)))
    (push (cons id handle) gnus-article-mime-handle-alist)
    (gnus-mime-display-alternative (cdr handle) nil nil id)))

--

-- 
Mike Small
smallm <at> panix.com

Gmane