take screenshot of active R Graphics window problem (linux)
G. Jay Kerns <gkerns <at> ysu.edu>
2008-07-03 03:11:22 GMT
I am in the process of making the transition from Windows/R-Gui to
Linux/Emacs-ESS. In particular, I have Ubuntu Hardy Heron installed
(32-bit and 64-bit on different desktops), and I have been
experimenting with Emacs 22-GTK and Emacs 22-X11 for evaluation. On
both desktops, here is what I observe:
1) I can take a full screenshot (Print Screen) at any time and under
2) In Emacs GTK, I can take a screenshot of the active Emacs window
(Alt-Print Screen), or even of the active window of the R process.
3) In Emacs GTK, I can NOT take a screenshot of an R Graphics:Device 2
(ACTIVE), even that of a simple plot(1:10). I get the cursor circle
for a split-second and then nothing happens.
4) In Emacs X11, I can NOT take a screenshot of the active Emacs
window (Alt-Print Screen), or of the active window of the R process,
or of an R Graphics:Device 2 (ACTIVE). I get the little circle which
5) In Firefox, etc, I can take a screenshot of any active window that I want.
Here's what I tried:
A) reinstalling everything Emacs I could think of, including ESS.
B) reinstalling everything X11 that I could find.
C) uninstalling Emacs GTK, in case it was interfering with -X11 somehow.
D) getting rid of my .emacs file, which had some spooky business that