Nitin Jain | 4 Sep 17:05 2007
Picon

ESS installation with cygwin needs unsetting DISPLAY

Dear all,

I am facing a problem in ESS installation when using with cygwin. Here are the steps that I followed:

- unzipped .tgz ess file 
- added the ess path in init.el
(load "/cygdrive/C/cygwin/usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site")
- Modiffied  /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/essd-r-args.el file to
comment the tooltip lines:
(eval-when-compile
    (require 'tooltip)); for tooltip-show

When I start cygwin and type, 
xemacs a.R -f R &
it asks me for the starting R directory to which I press enter and then I get the message "Process R is not running"

However, when I open another xterm and do: "unset DISPLAY", the above command works fine (though several
times, it hangs and then i have to restart cygwin).

The difference in the two xemacs sessions is that 1st one (with default DISPLAY set to 127.0.0.1:0.0),
xemacs opens with grey background (much like default unix xemacs) whereas after unsetting DISPLAY, I get
xemacs with white background (much like native xemacs on windows).

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Best,
Nitin

(Continue reading)

Rodney Sparapani | 4 Sep 20:23 2007
Picon

Re: ESS installation with cygwin needs unsetting DISPLAY

Nitin Jain wrote:
> Dear all,
> 
> I am facing a problem in ESS installation when using with cygwin. Here are the steps that I followed:
> 
> - unzipped .tgz ess file 
> - added the ess path in init.el
> (load "/cygdrive/C/cygwin/usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site")
> - Modiffied  /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/essd-r-args.el file to
comment the tooltip lines:
> (eval-when-compile
>     (require 'tooltip)); for tooltip-show
> 
> 
> When I start cygwin and type, 
> xemacs a.R -f R &
> it asks me for the starting R directory to which I press enter and then I get the message "Process R is not running"
> 
> However, when I open another xterm and do: "unset DISPLAY", the above command works fine (though several
times, it hangs and then i have to restart cygwin).
> 
> The difference in the two xemacs sessions is that 1st one (with default DISPLAY set to 127.0.0.1:0.0),
xemacs opens with grey background (much like default unix xemacs) whereas after unsetting DISPLAY, I get
xemacs with white background (much like native xemacs on windows).
> 
> Is this a bug or am I missing something?
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Best,
(Continue reading)

Nitin Jain | 4 Sep 23:32 2007
Picon

Re: ESS installation with cygwin needs unsetting DISPLAY

Thanks Rodney.

This means that for now, I should use either native xemacs or unset the DISPLAY every time I start cygwin.

Best,
Nitin

--------------------------
Nitin Jain

----- Original Message ----
From: Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa <at> mcw.edu>
To: ess-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:23:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ESS] ESS installation with cygwin needs unsetting DISPLAY

Nitin Jain wrote:
> Dear all,
> 
> I am facing a problem in ESS installation when using with cygwin. Here are the steps that I followed:
> 
> - unzipped .tgz ess file 
> - added the ess path in init.el
> (load "/cygdrive/C/cygwin/usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site")
> - Modiffied  /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/essd-r-args.el file to
comment the tooltip lines:
> (eval-when-compile
>     (require 'tooltip)); for tooltip-show
> 
> 
(Continue reading)

Martin Maechler | 5 Sep 09:20 2007
Picon

Re: ESS installation with cygwin needs unsetting DISPLAY

>>>>> "NJ" == Nitin Jain <nj7w <at> yahoo.com>
>>>>>     on Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:32:03 -0700 (PDT) writes:

    NJ> Thanks Rodney.
    NJ> This means that for now, I should use either native xemacs or unset the DISPLAY every time I start cygwin.

or -- excuse the "heresy" -- switch from Xemacs to GNU emacs.
For the latter, you can get the nicely windows pre-installed
setup from Vincent Goulet's site.

Regards,
Martin

______________________________________________
ESS-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/ess-help

David Scott | 5 Sep 09:41 2007
Picon
Picon

XEmacs or GNU Emacs

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Martin Maechler wrote:

>>>>>> "NJ" == Nitin Jain <nj7w <at> yahoo.com>
>>>>>>     on Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:32:03 -0700 (PDT) writes:
>
>    NJ> Thanks Rodney.
>    NJ> This means that for now, I should use either native xemacs or unset the DISPLAY every time I start cygwin.
>
> or -- excuse the "heresy" -- switch from Xemacs to GNU emacs.
> For the latter, you can get the nicely windows pre-installed
> setup from Vincent Goulet's site.
>

Which is a question I have recently been considering.

I have used XEmacs for a few years. My usage is for R with ESS, TeX with 
AUCTeX, sweave, .Rd files for my R package, a bit of mySQL and html.

Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have an edge these days? I have got the 
impression the Emacs has advanced more than XEmacs recently.

Any opinions?

David Scott

_________________________________________________________________
David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
(Continue reading)

Rodney Sparapani | 5 Sep 16:12 2007
Picon

Re: XEmacs or GNU Emacs

David Scott wrote:
>
> 
> Which is a question I have recently been considering.
> 
> I have used XEmacs for a few years. My usage is for R with ESS, TeX with 
> AUCTeX, sweave, .Rd files for my R package, a bit of mySQL and html.
> 
> Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have an edge these days? I have got the 
> impression the Emacs has advanced more than XEmacs recently.
> 
> Any opinions?
> 
> David Scott

This is a difficult question to answer.  ESS supports both and they are
roughly equivalent.  My personal opinion is that XEmacs is better on
Unix and Linux due to the wide variety of packages that are available as
a single download (sumo, but ESS is not one of them).  However, Emacs 
has certainly made some recent
improvements and I'd say it is already better on Mac OS X and Windows.
And, of course, why stop there.  There is also TeXmacs which is derived
from Emacs and SXEmacs from XEmacs.

Rodney

______________________________________________
ESS-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/ess-help

(Continue reading)

Leo | 5 Sep 17:10 2007
Face
Picon

Re: XEmacs or GNU Emacs

On 2007-09-05 15:12 +0100, Rodney Sparapani wrote:
> This is a difficult question to answer.  ESS supports both and they are
> roughly equivalent.  My personal opinion is that XEmacs is better on
> Unix and Linux due to the wide variety of packages that are available as
> a single download (sumo, but ESS is not one of them).  However, Emacs 
> has certainly made some recent
> improvements 

Nowadays, GNU Emacs is much better than XEmacs.

I have the feeling that XEmacs is dying away due to fewer developers
and inactive community.

--

-- 
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

      Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.

______________________________________________
ESS-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/ess-help

Paul Johnson | 5 Sep 22:51 2007
Picon

Does R fix() or edit() work for you these days?

On Fedora 7 with emacs -22.1-1.fc7 and ESS -5.3.5, I am unable to use
R commands edit() and fix()  on data frames.  Here is the error:

 > fix(myimpdat)
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

	--socket-name
	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
	problem with running editor emacsclient
> edit(myimpdat)
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

	--socket-name
	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
	problem with running editor emacsclient

If I follow these instructions to run M-x server-start, then the
content of the data editor is shown in an Emacs buffer.

I start Emacs - ESS with these options. Are they the cause of my trouble?

;;; Set up emacs-ess for Emacs.
(Continue reading)

Martin Maechler | 7 Sep 14:21 2007
Picon

Re: Does R fix() or edit() work for you these days?


>>>>> "PJ" == Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 <at> gmail.com>
>>>>>     on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:51:44 -0500 writes:

    PJ> On Fedora 7 with emacs -22.1-1.fc7 and ESS -5.3.5, I am unable to use
    PJ> R commands edit() and fix()  on data frames.  Here is the error:

    >> fix(myimpdat)
    PJ> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
    PJ> To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
    PJ> emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

    PJ> --socket-name
    PJ> --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
    PJ> --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
    PJ> Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
    PJ> problem with running editor emacsclient
    >> edit(myimpdat)
    PJ> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
    PJ> To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
    PJ> emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

    PJ> --socket-name
    PJ> --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
    PJ> --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
    PJ> Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
    PJ> problem with running editor emacsclient

    PJ> If I follow these instructions to run M-x server-start, then the
    PJ> content of the data editor is shown in an Emacs buffer.
(Continue reading)

David Stivers | 7 Sep 19:57 2007
Picon

Re: XEmacs or GNU Emacs

On *nix systems, XEmacs looks much better and causes less eyestrain, because it can use outline fonts  (like
pretty much every other modern application) which support hinting. 

Gnu Emacs can only use zaggy bitmap fonts. There is some effort to bring Gnu Emacs into the 21st century in
this regard, but I don't know when it will succeed.

OTOH, I think that ESS works better under Gnu Emacs.

Yes, I'm annoyed that it's taking so long for gnu emacs to modernize!

David

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa <at> mcw.edu> wrote: David Scott wrote:
>
> 
> Which is a question I have recently been considering.
> 
> I have used XEmacs for a few years. My usage is for R with ESS, TeX with 
> AUCTeX, sweave, .Rd files for my R package, a bit of mySQL and html.
> 
> Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have an edge these days? I have got the 
> impression the Emacs has advanced more than XEmacs recently.
> 
> Any opinions?
> 
> David Scott

This is a difficult question to answer.  ESS supports both and they are
roughly equivalent.  My personal opinion is that XEmacs is better on
Unix and Linux due to the wide variety of packages that are available as
(Continue reading)


Gmane