jlr_0 | 3 Jan 10:04 2006
Picon

default TeX-PDF-mode in Auctex

Since I'd like all my .tex and .ltx files to open in TeX-PDF mode, this is what
I have placed in my init file.

,----
| (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
| 	  '(lambda ()
| 	     (setq TeX-master 'dwim)
| 	     (TeX-PDF-mode-on)
| 	     ))
| (add-hook 'plain-tex-mode-hook
| 	  'latex-mode)
`----

When opening a new .tex file, I'm asked about the master file and here is the
text that is placed at the end of the file:

,----
| %%% Local Variables: 
| %%% mode: latex
| %%% TeX-master: t
| %%% End: 
`----

This seems ok because when I run `TeX-command-master' (C-c C-c), pdflatex is
automatically called.

However, when opening a new .ltx file (C-x C-f), I'm asked about the master file
but no local variable is ever put at the end of the file.

1. How can I have the local variable show (a) the right mode, as well as the
(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 3 Jan 10:56 2006
Picon

Re: default TeX-PDF-mode in Auctex

* jlr 0 (2006-01-03) writes:

> Since I'd like all my .tex and .ltx files to open in TeX-PDF mode,
> this is what I have placed in my init file.
>
> ,----
> | (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
> |             '(lambda ()
> |                  (setq TeX-master 'dwim)
> |                       (TeX-PDF-mode-on)
> |                            ))
> | (add-hook 'plain-tex-mode-hook
> |             'latex-mode)

You want LaTeX mode even for plain TeX files?  That's a strange wish.

> However, when opening a new .ltx file (C-x C-f), I'm asked about the
> master file but no local variable is ever put at the end of the
> file.
>
> 1. How can I have the local variable show (a) the right mode, as
> well as the (b) `TeX-master" file when opening a .ltx file?

,----[ (info "(auctex)Multifile") ]
|  -- User Option: TeX-one-master
|      Regular expression matching ordinary TeX files.
| 
|      You should set this variable to match the name of all files, for
|      which it is a good idea to append a `TeX-master' file variable
|      entry automatically.  When AUCTeX adds the name of the master file
(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 4 Jan 20:37 2006
Picon

Re: default TeX-PDF-mode in Auctex

Please keep the mailing list copied when replying.

* jlr 0 (2006-01-04) writes:

>>>>>> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006, at 10:56:15 , Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de> wrote:
>
>   >> | (add-hook 'plain-tex-mode-hook
>   >> |             'latex-mode)
>
>   RA> You want LaTeX mode even for plain TeX files?  That's a strange wish.
>
> Since I sometime use the .tex suffix for latex file, what I actually want is
> that all my .tex files open in TeX-PDF mode.

The code snippet above is not related to TeX-PDF mode.  It forces
AUCTeX into LaTeX mode even if a file was recognized as a plain TeX
file.

You also seem to have the impression that .ltx is the common extension
for LaTeX files.  It is not.  The extension .tex is commonly used for
them.  And AUCTeX opens these files per default in LaTeX mode if their
content does not indicate otherwise.  See `C-h v TeX-default-mode RET'.

Regarding TeX-PDF mode I already told you that this is a minor mode.
So you usually want your LaTeX files to be opened with LaTeX mode as
major mode and in addition TeX-PDF mode being activated.

>   RA> TeX-PDF-mode is a minor mode and you can set its default value
>   RA> e.g. with `M-x customize-variable RET TeX-PDF-mode RET'.  In contrast,
>   RA> the "mode:" entry in the local variables section AUCTeX inserts is
(Continue reading)

Reiner Steib | 4 Jan 22:50 2006
X-Face

Re: default TeX-PDF-mode in Auctex

On Wed, Jan 04 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> You also seem to have the impression that .ltx is the common extension
> for LaTeX files.  It is not.  The extension .tex is commonly used for
> them.  

Well, .ltx is not uncommon for LaTeX files:

$ locate '*/texlive/2005/*/*.ltx'|wc -l
1021

Bye, Reiner.
--

-- 
       ,,,
      (o o)
---ooO-(_)-Ooo---  |  PGP key available  |  http://rsteib.home.pages.de/
Ralf Angeli | 4 Jan 22:38 2006
Picon

Re: Re: default TeX-PDF-mode in Auctex

* Reiner Steib (2006-01-04) writes:

> On Wed, Jan 04 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> You also seem to have the impression that .ltx is the common extension
>> for LaTeX files.  It is not.  The extension .tex is commonly used for
>> them.  
>
> Well, .ltx is not uncommon for LaTeX files:
>
> $ locate '*/texlive/2005/*/*.ltx'|wc -l
> 1021

I should probably define more clearly what I am referring to and that
is LaTeX files written by end users and not intended to be included in
TeX distributions. (c:

--

-- 
Ralf
Msclxv | 10 Jan 00:33 2006
Picon

Can't get previews

I installed the precompiled version of preview-latex, successfully I think, after unsuccessfully trying to compile the separate components by myself. (Thanks for the precompiled version!)   I get the Preview and Command menus, but when I tried a preview in the file circ.tex, I get the message to use C-c C-l to see the compilation, then I get the message in another emacs window, but no preview!!?

 

Preview-DviPS finished at Mon Jan 09 13:51:57

Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with ``"GSWIN32C.EXE" "-dOutputFile=(circ.prv/tmp23688rt/pr1-%d.png)" "-q" "-dSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS" "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4" "-sDEVICE=png16m" "-r99.568x106.206"''

 

Does this suggest some kind of error??

 

I would like some help in this. Thanks.

 

_______________________________________________
auctex mailing list
auctex <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/auctex
David Kastrup | 10 Jan 00:48 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: Can't get previews

Msclxv <at> aol.com writes:

> I installed the precompiled version of preview-latex, successfully I
> think,

of Emacs?

> after unsuccessfully trying to compile the separate components by
> myself.  (Thanks for the precompiled version!)  I get the Preview
> and Command menus, but when I tried a preview in the file circ.tex,
> I get the message to use C-c C-l to see the compilation, then I get
> the message in another emacs window, but no preview!!?

Could you use
M-x preview-report-bug RET
or the respective menu entry Preview/Report Bug for reporting bugs?
That would give more relevant information.

> Preview-DviPS finished at Mon Jan 09 13:51:57
>
> Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with ``"GSWIN32C.EXE" "-dOutputFile=(circ.prv/
> tmp23688rt/pr1-%d.png)" "-q" "-dSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS" "-dPrinted"
> "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4" "-sDEVICE=png16m"
> "-r99.568x106.206"''
>
>  
>
> Does this suggest some kind of error??

Not at all.  It suggests things working fine, at least the extract
that you show here.  Conceivable problems might occur with running
GhostScript, but your extract is too short to figure that out.

Stupid question: have you actually paged down in circ.tex?  The
previews don't appear in a separate window, they are placed right into
the source buffer.

And the first 1.5 pages of circ.tex or so do not contain any
previewable material.

--

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
olivier Turlier | 4 Jan 22:28 2006
Picon

auctex not recognizing context

Hi everybody,

>From a fresh install of emacs+auctex on a Suse 10, I  can't get auctex
working for context files.

in my personal dir, there is a .emacs pointing towards a .gnu-emacs
containing this for auctex : 

;; AUC-TeX
;; ----------------------------
(if  (file-readable-p "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el")
 (progn
  (require 'tex-site)
  (setq-default TeX-master nil)
  ; Users private libaries 
; (setq TeX-macro-private '("~/lib/tex-lib/"))
; (setq TeX-style-private   "~/lib/site-lisp/auctex/style/")   ; AUC-TeX-Macros
; (setq TeX-auto-private    "~/lib/site-lisp/auctex/auto/")    ; Autom. Auc-TeX-Macros
  (if window-system
    (if (featurep 'font-lock)
      (progn
	(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
	(add-hook 'after-init-hook '(lambda () (load "auctex/font-latex" nil t))))))
))

What can i do for activating context recognising (and by the way, setting
context as the default mode for new documents)*

TIA for any answer, and have a nice new year

--

-- 
olivier TURLIER
David Kastrup | 10 Jan 08:07 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: auctex not recognizing context

olivier Turlier <o.turlier <at> free.fr> writes:

> From a fresh install of emacs+auctex on a Suse 10, I  can't get auctex
> working for context files.

That's no usable version information.  We don't keep track at what
SuSE uses for what releases of theirs, and Linux distributors often
have a track record of horribly outdated AUCTeX versions.

So please use
M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET
for reporting problems.  That fills in the version information which
you omitted.

You can take a look at it with

C-h v AUC-TeX-version RET

I think you'll need at least AUCTeX 11.50 to have even basic ConTeXt
support.

--

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
Bjørn Haagensen | 11 Jan 11:56 2006
Picon

View command with forward/inverse search

Hi,

As far as I understand the view-command launed by auctex depends on the parsed
file-information. So if using the pstricks-package in the document, the
view-command will be something like 'dvips file.dvi -o && gv file.ps'. Of course
this is not what I want for forward/inverse search in which case I want the
proper xdvi-command. The only way I know to get around this is either to:

-remove '\usepackage{pstricks}' (and all its uses) from the source-files, or
-remove regexp involving 'pstricks' from 'Tex-output-view-style'.

Neither of these solutions are optimal for me as I would like to retain
convenient access to 'normal' view mode. I was thinking that there perhaps was a
way of overriding 'Tex-output-view-style' when in tex-source-specials mode, but
I haven't been able to locate a setting for this.

Please correct me if I have overlooked something. My setup is Ubuntu 5.10 with:

-GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.6) of 2005-11-22 on
vernadsky, modified by Debian
-Auctex 11.55

Thanks for a very nice package and any answers.

regards Bjørn

Gmane