Uwe Brauer | 16 Jun 14:42 2010
Picon

4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook


Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.

Check if the bug is reproducable with an up-to-date version of
RefTeX available from http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/.

If the bug is triggered by a specific (La)TeX file, you should try
to produce a minimal sample file showing the problem and include it
in your report.

Your bug report will be posted to the AUCTeX bug reporting list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello 

I  usually have the following function called in the
kill-buffer-hook.

(add-hook  'kill-buffer-hook  'ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes)

This function works for buffers in elisp latex and matlab
mode and does a chekin for files under (RCS) version
control. However strangely enough when I call ref-toc the
toc is not shown. I have to manually remove the function
from the hook in order that it works.
Is this a bug or feature?

regards

(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 18 Jun 18:03 2010
Picon

Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

* Uwe Brauer (2010-06-16) writes:

> I  usually have the following function called in the
> kill-buffer-hook.
>
> (add-hook  'kill-buffer-hook  'ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes)
[...]
> Emacs  : XEmacs 21.4 (patch 21) "Educational Television" [Lucid] (i486-linux-gnu, Mule) of Sat Aug  2 2008
on palmer

In my case `ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes' is not defined when starting
XEmacs 21.4.22 with
$ xemacs -q -no-site-file

--

-- 
Ralf

Uwe Brauer | 20 Jun 20:29 2010
Picon

Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

>>>>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:03:29 +0200, Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> wrote:

   > * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-16) writes:

   > In my case `ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes' is not defined when starting
   > XEmacs 21.4.22 with
   > $ xemacs -q -no-site-file

Well the reason is: this function is not part of standard
Xemacs.

I just attach the whole lisp file.

Uwe Brauer 

Attachment (vc-ensure-checkin.el): application/emacs-lisp, 5511 bytes
>>>>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:03:29 +0200, Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> wrote:

   > * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-16) writes:

   > In my case `ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes' is not defined when starting
   > XEmacs 21.4.22 with
   > $ xemacs -q -no-site-file

Well the reason is: this function is not part of standard
Xemacs.

I just attach the whole lisp file.
(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 27 Jun 21:38 2010
Picon

Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

* Uwe Brauer (2010-06-20) writes:

>>>>>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:03:29 +0200, Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> wrote:
>
>    > * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-16) writes:
>
>    > In my case `ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes' is not defined when starting
>    > XEmacs 21.4.22 with
>    > $ xemacs -q -no-site-file
>
> Well the reason is: this function is not part of standard
> Xemacs.
>
> I just attach the whole lisp file.

Evaluating the file contents, loading circ.tex and typing `C-c =' brings
up the table of contents without problems, using XEmacs 21.4.22 with the
packaged RefTeX 4.21.  Does this only happen with 4.33?  (I'm not sure
how you installed that, because the installation procedure does not
support XEmacs.)

--

-- 
Ralf

Uwe Brauer | 27 Jun 21:57 2010
Picon

Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

Ralf Angeli wrote:
> * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-20) writes:
>
>>>>>>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:03:29 +0200, Ralf Angeli<angeli <at> caeruleus.net>  wrote:
>>
>>     >  * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-16) writes:
>>
>>     >  In my case `ensure-in-vc-or-check-in-modes' is not defined when starting
>>     >  XEmacs 21.4.22 with
>>     >  $ xemacs -q -no-site-file
>>
>> Well the reason is: this function is not part of standard
>> Xemacs.
>>
>> I just attach the whole lisp file.
>
> Evaluating the file contents, loading circ.tex and typing `C-c =' brings
> up the table of contents without problems, using XEmacs 21.4.22 with the
> packaged RefTeX 4.21.  Does this only happen with 4.33?  (I'm not sure
> how you installed that, because the installation procedure does not
> support XEmacs.)
>
So you loaded the file I attached and put the function in
the kill-buffer-hook?
I did not check 4.21, since I have upgraded to 4.33 several
months ago (4.21 has some annoying bugs).

What do you mean is not officially supported?
One thing is that we can't have it in the package system and
neither auctex 11.85, because of GPL3 (not all files in
(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 27 Jun 22:13 2010
Picon

Re: Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

* Uwe Brauer (2010-06-27) writes:

> Ralf Angeli wrote:
>>
>> Evaluating the file contents, loading circ.tex and typing `C-c =' brings
>> up the table of contents without problems, using XEmacs 21.4.22 with the
>> packaged RefTeX 4.21.  Does this only happen with 4.33?  (I'm not sure
>> how you installed that, because the installation procedure does not
>> support XEmacs.)
>>
> So you loaded the file I attached and put the function in
> the kill-buffer-hook?

The code in the file does this already.

> I did not check 4.21, since I have upgraded to 4.33 several
> months ago (4.21 has some annoying bugs).
>
> What do you mean is not officially supported?

There simply is no installation procedure for XEmacs.

> One thing is that we can't have it in the package system and
> neither auctex 11.85, because of GPL3 (not all files in
> Xemacs are under GPL2+) :'(.
>
> INSTALLATION:
> I changed in the make file
> EMACS=/usr/bin/xemacs21-mule
> run make
(Continue reading)

Uwe Brauer | 28 Jun 22:38 2010
Picon

Re: Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

>>>>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:13:35 +0200, Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> wrote:

   > * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-27) writes:
   >> Ralf Angeli wrote:

I confirm that in 4.21/4.22 this problem does not occur!

   > Not really advisable.

Ok then I did the installation differently 
I changed 
# Where info files go.
infodir=/home/oub/xemacs/site-lisp/packages/reftex/info

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir=/home/oub/xemacs/site-lisp/packages/reftex/lisp

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=/usr/bin/xemacs21-mule

Then run 
make
make install.

However my problem persists. When starting xemacs and
opening a tex file the following error occurs:

File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to
define function turn-on-reftex")

(Continue reading)

Uwe Brauer | 30 Jun 18:32 2010
Picon

where is turn-on-reftex (was: Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook)

>>>>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:13:35 +0200, Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> wrote:

There is something odd:
the installation file for 4.22 and 4.33 states

     (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
     (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode

I used this for years and indeed 

in 4.22 there was the function 

(defun turn-on-reftex ()
  "Turn on RefTeX mode."
  (reftex-mode t))

Now that function is gone in 4.33 and I can't find the
relevant ChangeLog entry.

What happened?

Uwe Brauer 

Ralf Angeli | 30 Jun 22:25 2010
Picon

Re: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook

* Uwe Brauer (2010-06-28) writes:

> I confirm that in 4.21/4.22 this problem does not occur!

I tried it now with compiling the Lisp files of RefTeX 4.33 with XEmacs,
firing up XEmacs, adding the directory with the Lisp files to load-path,
requiring `reftex', loading vc-ensure-checkin.el, loading circ.tex,
turning on RefTeX and bringing up the table of contents.  All of that
worked fine, i.e. I still cannot reproduce the problem you were
describing.

Here are the commands I used:

make EMACS=/usr/bin/xemacs
xemacs -q -no-site-file
M-: (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/lisp/files") <RET>
M-: (require 'reftex) <RET>
C-x C-f circ.tex <RET>
M-: (turn-on-reftex) <RET>
C-c =

> However my problem persists. When starting xemacs and
> opening a tex file the following error occurs:
>
> File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to
> define function turn-on-reftex")

Have you tried reading the installation instructions?

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Uwe Brauer | 1 Jul 10:47 2010
Picon

Apologies: solved (was: 4.33; reftex-toc does not work, for certain values of kill-buffer-hook)

>>>>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:25:29 +0200, Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> wrote:

   > * Uwe Brauer (2010-06-28) writes:
   >> I confirm that in 4.21/4.22 this problem does not occur!

   > I tried it now with compiling the Lisp files of RefTeX 4.33 with XEmacs,
   > firing up XEmacs, adding the directory with the Lisp files to load-path,
   > requiring `reftex', loading vc-ensure-checkin.el, loading circ.tex,
   > turning on RefTeX and bringing up the table of contents.  All of that
   > worked fine, i.e. I still cannot reproduce the problem you were
   > describing.

   > Here are the commands I used:

   > make EMACS=/usr/bin/xemacs
   > xemacs -q -no-site-file
   > M-: (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/lisp/files") <RET>
   > M-: (require 'reftex) <RET>
   > C-x C-f circ.tex <RET>
   > M-: (turn-on-reftex) <RET>
   > C-c =
you are right. :'(

I should have checked more carefully indeed in my init file
there was ancient stuff of the form 

 (autoload 'reftex-mode               "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" t)
 (autoload 'turn-on-reftex            "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" nil)
 (autoload 'reftex-add-to-label-alist "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" nil)

(Continue reading)


Gmane