David Kastrup | 2 May 22:01 2005
Picon
Picon

2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical


Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.

If the bug (or problem) is triggered by a specific (La)TeX
file, you should try to produce a minimal sample file showing the
problem and include it in your report.

Your bug report will be posted to the AUCTeX bug reporting list.

Marking an active region, then using C-c C-e will leave point and mark
set to useless values.  I think that perhaps the best idea would be to
place point behind the \begin{...} like when done without active
region, and mark before the \end{...} so that you can activate the
region again to add add a nested inner environment.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.4)
 of 2005-04-24 on lola
Package: 2005-05-02

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2005-05-02"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("style" "auto"
		  "/usr/local/emacs-21/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style"
		  "/usr/local/var/auctex")
 TeX-auto-save t
(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 3 May 13:31 2005
Face
Picon

Re: 2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical

* David Kastrup (2005-05-02) writes:

> Marking an active region, then using C-c C-e will leave point and mark
> set to useless values.  I think that perhaps the best idea would be to
> place point behind the \begin{...} like when done without active
> region, and mark before the \end{...} so that you can activate the
> region again to add add a nested inner environment.

IMO the position of point at the end of the enclosed region is okay
because that's where you will most likely go on with editing.  It's
placed there deliberately.  The position of mark admittedly is not so
good.  This should be at the beginning of the enclosed region.

--

-- 
Ralf

David Kastrup | 4 May 17:56 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: 2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical

Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-05-02) writes:
>
>> Marking an active region, then using C-c C-e will leave point and mark
>> set to useless values.  I think that perhaps the best idea would be to
>> place point behind the \begin{...} like when done without active
>> region, and mark before the \end{...} so that you can activate the
>> region again to add add a nested inner environment.
>
> IMO the position of point at the end of the enclosed region is okay
> because that's where you will most likely go on with editing.  It's
> placed there deliberately.  The position of mark admittedly is not
> so good.  This should be at the beginning of the enclosed region.

Well, the advantage of point after the \begin is that you can more
easily add environment arguments that AUCTeX did not happen to know
about.  This is pretty common.

I don't insist on that, but at least C-x C-x should jump between start
and end of environment after insertion of an environment around the
active region.  If point is at the end of the environment, putting the
mark right at the end of the \begin{...} line would help facilitating
adding environment arguments.  Although we don't have a similar help
available when doing a "normal" C-c C-e, which should not, I think,
change the mark or mark stack.

--

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 4 May 18:30 2005
Picon

Re: Re: 2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical

* David Kastrup (2005-05-04) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

>From the headers of my previous message:

Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=lists.gnu.org)
	by lists.gnu.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)
	id 1DTLEU-0001ON-D9
	for angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de; Wed, 04 May 2005 10:52:14 -0400
Received: from mailman by lists.gnu.org with tmda-scanned (Exim 4.43)
	id 1DSvzC-0007ut-TZ
	for bug-auctex <at> gnu.org; Tue, 03 May 2005 07:54:48 -0400

Boy, that's awful.  More than a day ...

> I don't insist on that, but at least C-x C-x should jump between start
> and end of environment after insertion of an environment around the
> active region.  If point is at the end of the environment, putting the
> mark right at the end of the \begin{...} line would help facilitating
> adding environment arguments.  Although we don't have a similar help
> available when doing a "normal" C-c C-e, which should not, I think,
> change the mark or mark stack.

Thinking about this, I think your last suggestion -- leaving mark and
mark ring alone -- is the only sensible thing to do.  I don't think
anyone will expect the mark being placed at the start of the
environment after inserting it.  As a user I would rather expect it to
be where I left it, i.e. either at the start or the end of the
originally marked region, depending on it being marked from bottom to
(Continue reading)

David Kastrup | 4 May 20:05 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: Re: 2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical

Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-05-04) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
> From the headers of my previous message:
>
> Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=lists.gnu.org)
> 	by lists.gnu.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)
> 	id 1DTLEU-0001ON-D9
> 	for angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de; Wed, 04 May 2005 10:52:14 -0400
> Received: from mailman by lists.gnu.org with tmda-scanned (Exim 4.43)
> 	id 1DSvzC-0007ut-TZ
> 	for bug-auctex <at> gnu.org; Tue, 03 May 2005 07:54:48 -0400
>
> Boy, that's awful.  More than a day ...
>
>> I don't insist on that, but at least C-x C-x should jump between
>> start and end of environment after insertion of an environment
>> around the active region.  If point is at the end of the
>> environment, putting the mark right at the end of the \begin{...}
>> line would help facilitating adding environment arguments.
>> Although we don't have a similar help available when doing a
>> "normal" C-c C-e, which should not, I think, change the mark or
>> mark stack.
>
> Thinking about this, I think your last suggestion -- leaving mark
> and mark ring alone -- is the only sensible thing to do.

(Continue reading)

Ralf Angeli | 5 May 10:38 2005
Picon

Re: Re: 2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical

* David Kastrup (2005-05-04) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
>> I don't think anyone will expect the mark being placed at the start
>> of the environment after inserting it.  As a user I would rather
>> expect it to be where I left it, i.e. either at the start or the end
>> of the originally marked region, depending on it being marked from
>> bottom to top or the other way round.
>
> I can't see that.  If I mark a region actively and do C-c C-e, then I
> expect the resulting region to be around the environment.  And that
> means that if we move point to either beginning or end of the inserted
> area, mark should end up at the opposite side.  Letting the mark stay
> where it is within the resulting environment would only be appropriate
> if we let at the same time point stay where it is.

Agreed.  As we traditionally alter point (e.g. in figure environments
it will be placed inside the environment before the caption), it will
be better to change the position of mark as well, i.e. to push a new
mark onto the mark ring.

--

-- 
Ralf

Ralf Angeli | 5 May 12:20 2005
Picon

Re: Re: 2005-05-02; environment insertion on active region unpractical

* Ralf Angeli (2005-05-05) writes:

> Agreed.  As we traditionally alter point (e.g. in figure environments
> it will be placed inside the environment before the caption), it will
> be better to change the position of mark as well, i.e. to push a new
> mark onto the mark ring.

Argh!  This will break functions all over the board which call
`LaTeX-insert-item' after `LaTeX-insert-environment' if one does not
explicitely deactivate the mark.  The mark could be deactivated in
`LaTeX-insert-item' but this will of course take away the possibility
to use an active selection as optional argument for \item.  But
looking at the current code, implementing something like this does not
seem feasible anyway.  Ugh, unless I can find a solution I am
confident with, I tend to keep my hands off of this.  A patch is
attached if somebody is interested in it.

--

-- 
Ralf
Attachment: text/x-patch, 2177 bytes
* Ralf Angeli (2005-05-05) writes:

> Agreed.  As we traditionally alter point (e.g. in figure environments
> it will be placed inside the environment before the caption), it will
> be better to change the position of mark as well, i.e. to push a new
> mark onto the mark ring.

Argh!  This will break functions all over the board which call
(Continue reading)

emacs user | 6 May 05:10 2005
Picon

expand-filename error

using latest cvs code, I am getting an error message on an unknown 
expand-filename.  should this be expand-file-name (in tex.el)...?

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit)
of 2004-03-22 on cm-test
Package: 2005-05-03

current state:
==============
(setq
AUCTeX-date "2005-05-03"
window-system 'x
LaTeX-version "2e"

_________________________________________________________________
Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! 
http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

David Kastrup | 6 May 14:38 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: expand-filename error

"emacs user" <emacs_user <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> using latest cvs code, I am getting an error message on an unknown
> expand-filename.  should this be expand-file-name (in tex.el)...?

Doh.  Thanks, fixed.

--

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

David Kastrup | 9 May 11:38 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: [preview-latex-devel] rel-0-9; Initialisation: Error in INSTALL or in preview-latex.el

Frank Küster <frank <at> kuesterei.ch> writes:

> Remember to cover the basics.  Including a minimal LaTeX example
> file exhibiting the problem might help.
>
> The INSTALL file says:
>
> ,----
> |    For GNU Emacs, the recommended way to activate preview-latex is to
> | copy the file `preview-latex.el' (which is generated during the
> | installation) to a place where your installation keeps automatically
> | loaded startup files.  Alternatively, you can copy it to some place on
> | your `load-path' and load it with
> | 
> |      (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> | 
> |    That is all.
> `----
>
> However, preview-latex.el contains these lines:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "preview" (file-name-directory load-file-name)))
> (defvar preview-icondir (expand-file-name "preview/images" (file-name-directory load-file-name)))

The installation instructions should now cover this sufficiently for
the next release of preview-latex (which will occur as part of the
next AUCTeX release).

--

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
(Continue reading)


Gmane