gene loeb | 3 Oct 18:16 2010
Picon

Re: School Collaboration with China schools

Hello everyone.
I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.
 
I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my  communication.
 
I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at   geleloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.
 
Thanks,
Gene

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
<at> Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of traning of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your area , which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might be able to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in wikieducator or ) even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring students to China ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .
 
Leo

2010/9/21 gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Leo,
Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to assist. I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the Training profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally trained trainers (the professional organization is the American Association for
Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program. Just trying to be helpful.
Thanks,
Gene
Gene Loeb, Ph.D.



On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all WE
 
I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM ( GEM is an education management group developing business, management, software & technology education in China and Southeast Asia)
We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
For example we bring French students now to China every year
 
For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far we have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other countries as well .
 
You can know more abt the campus here at http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm 
 
For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers and students , welcome any feedback on this are
 
Is there any best practices model in WE already ?
 
Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
Feel free to contact me
 
Leo


--
Leo Wong
Co-director of HELP in China
--------------------------------------
http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with the real teacher and real Kids

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Leo Wong
Co-director of HELP in China
--------------------------------------
http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with the real teacher and real Kids

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Sincerest Best Wishes ,

Gene
Gene Loeb, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Wong Leo | 4 Oct 02:22 2010
Picon

Re: School Collaboration with China schools

@gene hi,what kind of training u can offer? do u have a webpage ?i am
on the road,typing from my phone will write more,maybe talk to u
ongtalk

2010/10/4, gene loeb <geneloeb@...>:
> Hello everyone.
> I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to
> help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use
> of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.
>
> I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new
> areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my
> communication.
>
> I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at
> geleloeb@..., skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi@...> wrote:
>
>>  <at>  Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of
>> traning
>> of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your area ,
>> which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might be
>> able
>> to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in wikieducator or
>> )
>> even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring students to
>> China
>> ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> 2010/9/21 gene aronin <geneloeb@...>
>>
>>> Leo,
>>> Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to
>>> assist.
>>> I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the
>>> Training
>>> profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally trained
>>> trainers (the professional organization is the American Association for
>>> Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program.
>>> Just trying to be helpful.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene
>>> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>>   Dear all WE
>>>>
>>>> I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM (
>>>> *GEM
>>>> is an education management group developing business, management,
>>>> software &
>>>> technology education in China and Southeast Asia) *
>>>> We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
>>>> For example we bring French students now to China every year
>>>> view more http://gem-group.com/colleges-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which
>>>> involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far
>>>> we
>>>> have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other
>>>> countries
>>>> as well .
>>>>
>>>> You can know more abt the campus here at
>>>> http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform
>>>> to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers
>>>> and
>>>> students , welcome any feedback on this are
>>>>
>>>> Is there any best practices model in WE already ?
>>>>
>>>> Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand
>>>> your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
>>>> Feel free to contact me
>>>>
>>>> Leo
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Leo Wong
>>>> Co-director of HELP in China
>>>> --------------------------------------
>>>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>>>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly
>>>> with
>>>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day
>>>
>>> Gene-loeb
>>> Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Leo Wong
>> Co-director of HELP in China
>> --------------------------------------
>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>
>
>
>
> --
> With Sincerest Best Wishes ,
>
> Gene
> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...

-- 
Leo Wong
Co-director of HELP in China
--------------------------------------
http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
http://wikieducator.org/User:Leolaoshi

There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
the real teacher and real Kids

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe@...

Wong Leo | 4 Oct 02:34 2010
Picon

Re: School Collaboration with China schools

@gene hi,what kind of training u can offer? do u have a webpage ?i am
on the road,typing from my phone will write more,maybe talk to u
ongtalk

2010/10/4, gene loeb <geneloeb@...>:
> Hello everyone.
> I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to
> help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use
> of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.
>
> I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new
> areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my
> communication.
>
> I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at
> geleloeb@..., skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi@...> wrote:
>
>>  <at>  Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of
>> traning
>> of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your area ,
>> which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might be
>> able
>> to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in wikieducator or
>> )
>> even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring students to
>> China
>> ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> 2010/9/21 gene aronin <geneloeb@...>
>>
>>> Leo,
>>> Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to
>>> assist.
>>> I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the
>>> Training
>>> profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally trained
>>> trainers (the professional organization is the American Association for
>>> Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program.
>>> Just trying to be helpful.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene
>>> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>>   Dear all WE
>>>>
>>>> I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM (
>>>> *GEM
>>>> is an education management group developing business, management,
>>>> software &
>>>> technology education in China and Southeast Asia) *
>>>> We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
>>>> For example we bring French students now to China every year
>>>> view more http://gem-group.com/colleges-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which
>>>> involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far
>>>> we
>>>> have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other
>>>> countries
>>>> as well .
>>>>
>>>> You can know more abt the campus here at
>>>> http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform
>>>> to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers
>>>> and
>>>> students , welcome any feedback on this are
>>>>
>>>> Is there any best practices model in WE already ?
>>>>
>>>> Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand
>>>> your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
>>>> Feel free to contact me
>>>>
>>>> Leo
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Leo Wong
>>>> Co-director of HELP in China
>>>> --------------------------------------
>>>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>>>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly
>>>> with
>>>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day
>>>
>>> Gene-loeb
>>> Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Leo Wong
>> Co-director of HELP in China
>> --------------------------------------
>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>
>
>
>
> --
> With Sincerest Best Wishes ,
>
> Gene
> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...

-- 
Leo Wong
Co-director of HELP in China
--------------------------------------
http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
http://wikieducator.org/User:Leolaoshi

There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
the real teacher and real Kids

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe@...

kirby urner | 4 Oct 02:51 2010
Picon

Re: School Collaboration with China schools

Here's a blog post with information about assistive technology for the
elderly.

It was projected for a province in Canada however the project leader
giving the talk did not end up managing what he was sketching.

I'm guessing this design is still on the drawing boards, still a
little ahead of its time, but maybe some communities are already
implementing it?

Basic idea:  passive (non-intrusive) home monitoring, raising "call
me" flags with supervisory staff in the case of software-detected
exceptions.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2005/07/wanderers-meeting-200575.html

Kirby

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM, gene loeb <geneloeb@...> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to
> help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use
> of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.
>
> I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new
> areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my
> communication.
>
> I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at
> geleloeb@..., skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi@...> wrote:
>>
>>  <at>  Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of
>> traning of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your
>> area , which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might
>> be able to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in
>> wikieducator or ) even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring
>> students to China ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> 2010/9/21 gene aronin <geneloeb@...>
>>>
>>> Leo,
>>> Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to
>>> assist. I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the
>>> Training profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally
>>> trained trainers (the professional organization is the American Association
>>> for
>>> Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program.
>>> Just trying to be helpful.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene
>>> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dear all WE
>>>>
>>>> I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM (
>>>> GEM is an education management group developing business, management,
>>>> software & technology education in China and Southeast Asia)
>>>> We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
>>>> For example we bring French students now to China every year
>>>> view more http://gem-group.com/colleges-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which
>>>> involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far we
>>>> have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other countries
>>>> as well .
>>>>
>>>> You can know more abt the campus here at
>>>> http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform
>>>> to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers and
>>>> students , welcome any feedback on this are
>>>>
>>>> Is there any best practices model in WE already ?
>>>>
>>>> Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand
>>>> your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
>>>> Feel free to contact me
>>>>
>>>> Leo
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Leo Wong
>>>> Co-director of HELP in China
>>>> --------------------------------------
>>>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>>>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly
>>>> with the real teacher and real Kids
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day
>>>
>>> Gene-loeb
>>> Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>>
>>
>> --
>> Leo Wong
>> Co-director of HELP in China
>> --------------------------------------
>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...
>
>
> --
> With Sincerest Best Wishes ,
> Gene
> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> wikieducator-unsubscribe@...

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe@...

Sebastian Panakal | 4 Oct 05:23 2010
Picon

Re: School Collaboration with China schools

Great Idea. Unemployed home-makers (women at home) could do it. I should be able to arrange a few volunteers for the project.


Sebastian Panakal
skype id:sebastianpanakal

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:21 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Here's a blog post with information about assistive technology for the
elderly.

It was projected for a province in Canada however the project leader
giving the talk did not end up managing what he was sketching.

I'm guessing this design is still on the drawing boards, still a
little ahead of its time, but maybe some communities are already
implementing it?

Basic idea:  passive (non-intrusive) home monitoring, raising "call
me" flags with supervisory staff in the case of software-detected
exceptions.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2005/07/wanderers-meeting-200575.html

Kirby


On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM, gene loeb <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to
> help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use
> of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.
>
> I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new
> areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my
> communication.
>
> I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at
> geleloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> <at> Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of
>> traning of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your
>> area , which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might
>> be able to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in
>> wikieducator or ) even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring
>> students to China ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> 2010/9/21 gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
>>>
>>> Leo,
>>> Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to
>>> assist. I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the
>>> Training profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally
>>> trained trainers (the professional organization is the American Association
>>> for
>>> Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program.
>>> Just trying to be helpful.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene
>>> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Dear all WE
>>>>
>>>> I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM (
>>>> GEM is an education management group developing business, management,
>>>> software & technology education in China and Southeast Asia)
>>>> We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
>>>> For example we bring French students now to China every year
>>>> view more http://gem-group.com/colleges-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which
>>>> involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far we
>>>> have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other countries
>>>> as well .
>>>>
>>>> You can know more abt the campus here at
>>>> http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform
>>>> to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers and
>>>> students , welcome any feedback on this are
>>>>
>>>> Is there any best practices model in WE already ?
>>>>
>>>> Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand
>>>> your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
>>>> Feel free to contact me
>>>>
>>>> Leo
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Leo Wong
>>>> Co-director of HELP in China
>>>> --------------------------------------
>>>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>>>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly
>>>> with the real teacher and real Kids
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day
>>>
>>> Gene-loeb
>>> Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>
>>
>> --
>> Leo Wong
>> Co-director of HELP in China
>> --------------------------------------
>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>
>
> --
> With Sincerest Best Wishes ,
> Gene
> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Sebastian Panakal

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
gene loeb | 4 Oct 18:06 2010
Picon

Re: School Collaboration with China schools

Hi Leo,
Thanks for writing. I a gathering ideas that you wanted now and will send in a day. I am redoing my website on technology and the elderly.
Gene

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
@gene hi,what kind of training u can offer? do u have a webpage ?i am
on the road,typing from my phone will write more,maybe talk to u
ongtalk

2010/10/4, gene loeb <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
> Hello everyone.
> I have been working on elderly issues an now am working on technology to
> help elderly .It  would be helpful to have information or a paper on the use
> of technology to helpo or to be used by elderly. Let me know.
>
> I need to get back to our ideas on training and have been identifying new
> areas for trainers to work. Please write me so I can continue my
> communication.
>
> I am writing articles for Marks journal now. contact me at
> geleloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, skype id: gene.loeb1 and cell phone  224-616-7264.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> <at> Gene , Tks for the mail and I am always interested in the area of
>> traning
>> of trainer ( TOT) for myself , I would like to know more abt your area ,
>> which subject area you are into ? also which organisation you might be
>> able
>> to bring some future collaboration either online ( like in wikieducator or
>> )
>> even face to face , even academic exchange program ( bring students to
>> China
>> ) or bring Chinese students to US are both possible .
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> 2010/9/21 gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
>>
>>> Leo,
>>> Very interesting news and information to learn; Hope to be able to
>>> assist.
>>> I am also interested in the possibility for the involvement of the
>>> Training
>>> profession. Here, in the United States, we have professionally trained
>>> trainers (the professional organization is the American Association for
>>> Training and Development). Trainers are training in a college program.
>>> Just trying to be helpful.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene
>>> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Wong Leo <leolaoshi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>>   Dear all WE
>>>>
>>>> I am currently helping with a school in China , Suzhou , called GEM (
>>>> *GEM
>>>> is an education management group developing business, management,
>>>> software &
>>>> technology education in China and Southeast Asia) *
>>>> We are also developing programs with other countries as well ,
>>>> For example we bring French students now to China every year
>>>> view more http://gem-group.com/colleges-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For k1-12 we have developed a Elephant conservation program which
>>>> involved students from US China German and Iran to participate , so far
>>>> we
>>>> have done this creative program in 39 schools in China and other
>>>> countries
>>>> as well .
>>>>
>>>> You can know more abt the campus here at
>>>> http://gem-group.com/campus-frameset3.htm
>>>>
>>>> For wikieducator , I am still thinking abt how we can use this platform
>>>> to start to create the curriclum and teaching material among teachers
>>>> and
>>>> students , welcome any feedback on this are
>>>>
>>>> Is there any best practices model in WE already ?
>>>>
>>>> Also , if you are working in a Non-China envoirment , who wish to expand
>>>> your teacher and staff horizon by coming to China
>>>> Feel free to contact me
>>>>
>>>> Leo
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Leo Wong
>>>> Co-director of HELP in China
>>>> --------------------------------------
>>>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>>>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly
>>>> with
>>>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day
>>>
>>> Gene-loeb
>>> Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>>> To visit the discussion forum:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator <at> googlegroups.com
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Leo Wong
>> Co-director of HELP in China
>> --------------------------------------
>> http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
>> There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
>> the real teacher and real Kids
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
>> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
>> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
>> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh4Ykp1iOSErHA@public.gmane.orgm
>
>
>
>
> --
> With Sincerest Best Wishes ,
>
> Gene
> Gene Loeb, Ph.D.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "WikiEducator" group.
> To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
> To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
> To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> wikieducator-unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com


--
Leo Wong
Co-director of HELP in China
--------------------------------------
http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with
the real teacher and real Kids

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Sincerest Best Wishes ,

Gene
Gene Loeb, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Joyce.McKnight | 4 Oct 22:27 2010

- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

Hi Wayne:   I know I am late in inquiring about this, but I am a little confused about how the publisher will gain from offering this book under a free license.  The reason I am asking is that I am under contract to write a comprehensive community organizing textbook for Pearson/Allyn and Bacon a very large US publisher.   My editor has offered me her time and wonderful resources that I could not possibly have had were I doing this project on my own and I don't begrudge them their fair share of any proceeds, but I would like my work to be readily available especially in developing countries, so I am confused about how I might meet my publisher's needs to make a reasonable return on all they have invested in the book and in me as a writer while still being fair to indigent readers.    I hope this question makes sense.   Joyce McKnight SUNY/Empire State College, Member of the OER Foundation.  

-----wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org wrote: -----
To: wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
From: Wayne Mackintosh
Sent by: wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Date: 09/14/2010 01:03AM
Subject: Re: [WikiEducator] An Ethical Dilemma -- Feeling sad :-)- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the note -- with every mistake (and I believe the publishers have made an honest mistake) there is a learning experience.

Together we can make the world a better place -- and the open web and free content licensing can help. There is a place for everyone in the sun -- even publishers who can earn a living through publishing free content.

The embarrassing point is that my name is now published under a non-commercial license :-(. However -- let's turn an honest mistake into a success for all involved. I have just received an email from the publisher requesting that we connect for a skype conversation later this evening. I will suggest that they drop the NC restriction and release the work under a CC-BY-SA license.

That would be a smart move for them imho --- the "free" advertising resulting from a move like that would push and promote sales.

We'll see what happens.

Cheers
Wayne

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM, gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Wayne,
This was an exceptional commentary of your dilemma, because it 1)demonstrated what "creative commons" was all about, and 2) demonstrated, through your honesty and forthrightness the importance of this idea. Demonstrate by example. Good for you, Wayne.

Gene


On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM, aprasad <apletters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Dear Dr. Wayne,
 
I can imagine how humiliating the situation to you. Hope the publishers will come out with an erratum.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wayne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Never a dull moment in the free culture world. Ordinarily -- I would not post public notifications around potential misunderstandings or oversights by a publisher. However, I find myself facing an ethical dilemma. Particularly since today I'm been commenting considerably on my personal ethics and views associated with the non-commercial restriction on our national New Zealand MLE list.

I was recently invited to write the forward for a new publication -- a book of tweets on open text books. Great idea, very cool and appropriate for our times. In response to the invite, my very first question was was:

"More than happy to provide a "tweet" -- what license will you be publishing the book under?"

Response:

"We will be doing this under Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license- http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
That is the current plan.  Any interest in co-authoring?"

My response:

"I always check that anything I write is published under a free cultural works approved license :-)  I would love to co-author"

So I do my bit, read the text, write a short forward and contribute a tweet.  I now see that the book has been published under a CC-BY-NC-SA license -- which is very unfortunate, because I think its a great text and it seems that there has been an oversight in attributing my contributions under a license which meets the free cultural works definition which was a condition of my contribution. (See:  http://www.happyabout.com/thinkaha/opentextbooktweet01.php). I've asked the publishes to print and distribute an erratum indicating that my personal contributions are licensed under CC-BY-SA on the basis of our original agreement. I'm confident that they will do the right thing.

When I submitted my tweet, I wrote:

"This is licensed under CC-BY which will enable a derivative under CC-BY-SA."  I did this work during official time, and my employers IP policy requires that I release my work under a default CC-BY license."

If there were any communications from the publisher in the interim about changing the license -- I missed these ;-(. Moreover, for the record, I would not have agreed to having anything I write published under an NC license. 

It's ironic that while the book carries a NC restriction -- the international public can purchase the texts, hard copy or ebook for a listed price of $19.95 or $14,95 and see that currently some discount applies.

Anway -- this is a public announcement that my forward is licensed under a CC-BY-SA license and my tweet - No 31 is openly licensed under a free cultural works approved license (CC-BY) in this case. The publisher was free to add an NC restriction on the tweet - -but has omitted to attribute the source :-(.  For the record, both versions of the texts I submitted are licensed under a CC-BY license. You are free to take these texts, reuse them, adapt them, modify them and if you like sell them :-)

Cheers
Wayne
 









--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Warm regards

Anil

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org @public.gmane.org>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Savithri Singh | 5 Oct 00:10 2010

- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

Hi Wayne,

Its your commitment to the 'open' cause that has people like me hooked!!  I draw a lot of strength from the clear path you tread.  Lets hope by now things are sorted out.

Savithri

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:57 AM, <Joyce.McKnight-5x4XmtjFQAE@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi Wayne:   I know I am late in inquiring about this, but I am a little confused about how the publisher will gain from offering this book under a free license.  The reason I am asking is that I am under contract to write a comprehensive community organizing textbook for Pearson/Allyn and Bacon a very large US publisher.   My editor has offered me her time and wonderful resources that I could not possibly have had were I doing this project on my own and I don't begrudge them their fair share of any proceeds, but I would like my work to be readily available especially in developing countries, so I am confused about how I might meet my publisher's needs to make a reasonable return on all they have invested in the book and in me as a writer while still being fair to indigent readers.    I hope this question makes sense.   Joyce McKnight SUNY/Empire State College, Member of the OER Foundation.  

-----wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org wrote: -----
To: wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
From: Wayne Mackintosh
Sent by: wikieducator <at> googlegroups.com
Date: 09/14/2010 01:03AM
Subject: Re: [WikiEducator] An Ethical Dilemma -- Feeling sad :-)- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do


Hi Gene,

Thanks for the note -- with every mistake (and I believe the publishers have made an honest mistake) there is a learning experience.

Together we can make the world a better place -- and the open web and free content licensing can help. There is a place for everyone in the sun -- even publishers who can earn a living through publishing free content.

The embarrassing point is that my name is now published under a non-commercial license :-(. However -- let's turn an honest mistake into a success for all involved. I have just received an email from the publisher requesting that we connect for a skype conversation later this evening. I will suggest that they drop the NC restriction and release the work under a CC-BY-SA license.

That would be a smart move for them imho --- the "free" advertising resulting from a move like that would push and promote sales.

We'll see what happens.

Cheers
Wayne

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM, gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Wayne,
This was an exceptional commentary of your dilemma, because it 1)demonstrated what "creative commons" was all about, and 2) demonstrated, through your honesty and forthrightness the importance of this idea. Demonstrate by example. Good for you, Wayne.

Gene


On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM, aprasad <apletters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Dear Dr. Wayne,
 
I can imagine how humiliating the situation to you. Hope the publishers will come out with an erratum.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wayne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Never a dull moment in the free culture world. Ordinarily -- I would not post public notifications around potential misunderstandings or oversights by a publisher. However, I find myself facing an ethical dilemma. Particularly since today I'm been commenting considerably on my personal ethics and views associated with the non-commercial restriction on our national New Zealand MLE list.

I was recently invited to write the forward for a new publication -- a book of tweets on open text books. Great idea, very cool and appropriate for our times. In response to the invite, my very first question was was:

"More than happy to provide a "tweet" -- what license will you be publishing the book under?"

Response:

"We will be doing this under Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license- http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
That is the current plan.  Any interest in co-authoring?"

My response:

"I always check that anything I write is published under a free cultural works approved license :-)  I would love to co-author"

So I do my bit, read the text, write a short forward and contribute a tweet.  I now see that the book has been published under a CC-BY-NC-SA license -- which is very unfortunate, because I think its a great text and it seems that there has been an oversight in attributing my contributions under a license which meets the free cultural works definition which was a condition of my contribution. (See:  http://www.happyabout.com/thinkaha/opentextbooktweet01.php). I've asked the publishes to print and distribute an erratum indicating that my personal contributions are licensed under CC-BY-SA on the basis of our original agreement. I'm confident that they will do the right thing.

When I submitted my tweet, I wrote:

"This is licensed under CC-BY which will enable a derivative under CC-BY-SA."  I did this work during official time, and my employers IP policy requires that I release my work under a default CC-BY license."

If there were any communications from the publisher in the interim about changing the license -- I missed these ;-(. Moreover, for the record, I would not have agreed to having anything I write published under an NC license. 

It's ironic that while the book carries a NC restriction -- the international public can purchase the texts, hard copy or ebook for a listed price of $19.95 or $14,95 and see that currently some discount applies.

Anway -- this is a public announcement that my forward is licensed under a CC-BY-SA license and my tweet - No 31 is openly licensed under a free cultural works approved license (CC-BY) in this case. The publisher was free to add an NC restriction on the tweet - -but has omitted to attribute the source :-(.  For the record, both versions of the texts I submitted are licensed under a CC-BY license. You are free to take these texts, reuse them, adapt them, modify them and if you like sell them :-)

Cheers
Wayne
 









--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Warm regards

Anil

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Savithri Singh

Principal
Acharya Narendra Dev College
(University of Delhi)
Govindpuri, Kalkaji
New Delhi 110019

Ph: 011 26294542, 011 29293224  Res: 25848151, 25843496
Fax: 011 26294540, Res: 25848151

http://beta.thehindu.com/sci-tech/article397395.ece
http://eduframe.net/andc
http://andcollege.du.ac.in
http://andc.info
http://wikieducator.org/Acharya_Narendra_Dev_College
http://wikieducator.org/User:Savi.odl
http://wikieducator.org/India
http://wikieducator.org/India/wikieducator_launch

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Sebastian Panakal | 5 Oct 03:05 2010

- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

Friends,


"Every mistake is a learning experience" I love it. I appreciate the open and friendly attitude of WE. I am trying hard to be worthy of this community.

Cheers
Sebastian Panakal

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:57 AM, <Joyce.McKnight-5x4XmtjFQAE@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi Wayne:   I know I am late in inquiring about this, but I am a little confused about how the publisher will gain from offering this book under a free license.  The reason I am asking is that I am under contract to write a comprehensive community organizing textbook for Pearson/Allyn and Bacon a very large US publisher.   My editor has offered me her time and wonderful resources that I could not possibly have had were I doing this project on my own and I don't begrudge them their fair share of any proceeds, but I would like my work to be readily available especially in developing countries, so I am confused about how I might meet my publisher's needs to make a reasonable return on all they have invested in the book and in me as a writer while still being fair to indigent readers.    I hope this question makes sense.   Joyce McKnight SUNY/Empire State College, Member of the OER Foundation.  

-----wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org wrote: -----
To: wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
From: Wayne Mackintosh
Sent by: wikieducator <at> googlegroups.com
Date: 09/14/2010 01:03AM
Subject: Re: [WikiEducator] An Ethical Dilemma -- Feeling sad :-)- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the note -- with every mistake (and I believe the publishers have made an honest mistake) there is a learning experience.

Together we can make the world a better place -- and the open web and free content licensing can help. There is a place for everyone in the sun -- even publishers who can earn a living through publishing free content.

The embarrassing point is that my name is now published under a non-commercial license :-(. However -- let's turn an honest mistake into a success for all involved. I have just received an email from the publisher requesting that we connect for a skype conversation later this evening. I will suggest that they drop the NC restriction and release the work under a CC-BY-SA license.

That would be a smart move for them imho --- the "free" advertising resulting from a move like that would push and promote sales.

We'll see what happens.

Cheers
Wayne

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM, gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Wayne,
This was an exceptional commentary of your dilemma, because it 1)demonstrated what "creative commons" was all about, and 2) demonstrated, through your honesty and forthrightness the importance of this idea. Demonstrate by example. Good for you, Wayne.

Gene


On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM, aprasad <apletters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Dear Dr. Wayne,
 
I can imagine how humiliating the situation to you. Hope the publishers will come out with an erratum.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wayne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Never a dull moment in the free culture world. Ordinarily -- I would not post public notifications around potential misunderstandings or oversights by a publisher. However, I find myself facing an ethical dilemma. Particularly since today I'm been commenting considerably on my personal ethics and views associated with the non-commercial restriction on our national New Zealand MLE list.

I was recently invited to write the forward for a new publication -- a book of tweets on open text books. Great idea, very cool and appropriate for our times. In response to the invite, my very first question was was:

"More than happy to provide a "tweet" -- what license will you be publishing the book under?"

Response:

"We will be doing this under Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license- http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
That is the current plan.  Any interest in co-authoring?"

My response:

"I always check that anything I write is published under a free cultural works approved license :-)  I would love to co-author"

So I do my bit, read the text, write a short forward and contribute a tweet.  I now see that the book has been published under a CC-BY-NC-SA license -- which is very unfortunate, because I think its a great text and it seems that there has been an oversight in attributing my contributions under a license which meets the free cultural works definition which was a condition of my contribution. (See:  http://www.happyabout.com/thinkaha/opentextbooktweet01.php). I've asked the publishes to print and distribute an erratum indicating that my personal contributions are licensed under CC-BY-SA on the basis of our original agreement. I'm confident that they will do the right thing.

When I submitted my tweet, I wrote:

"This is licensed under CC-BY which will enable a derivative under CC-BY-SA."  I did this work during official time, and my employers IP policy requires that I release my work under a default CC-BY license."

If there were any communications from the publisher in the interim about changing the license -- I missed these ;-(. Moreover, for the record, I would not have agreed to having anything I write published under an NC license. 

It's ironic that while the book carries a NC restriction -- the international public can purchase the texts, hard copy or ebook for a listed price of $19.95 or $14,95 and see that currently some discount applies.

Anway -- this is a public announcement that my forward is licensed under a CC-BY-SA license and my tweet - No 31 is openly licensed under a free cultural works approved license (CC-BY) in this case. The publisher was free to add an NC restriction on the tweet - -but has omitted to attribute the source :-(.  For the record, both versions of the texts I submitted are licensed under a CC-BY license. You are free to take these texts, reuse them, adapt them, modify them and if you like sell them :-)

Cheers
Wayne
 









--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Warm regards

Anil

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Sebastian Panakal

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Stephen Downes | 5 Oct 03:45 2010

- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

What's interesting is that the publisher has sold a product to you, but has you convinced that someone else should pay for it. It becomes a dilemma because you can't think of a way to get these other to pay for something you received for free without subscribing to the whole model of proprietary publishing.

But reanalyze...

-- you say you could not have gotten these services for free, but is this true? The internet is probably the greatest place to test your ideas and get comments on multiple drafts of materials - all for free. You'll find friends on the internet too, just like your publisher pretended to be. If you really don't begrudge them being paid for their work, pay them. Don't assume it's some reader's responsibility to pay for your professional support services.
-- it's not clear in any case that you should be writing a book on your own if you doin't have the skills to do it -- you're just abetting the publisher's corporate agenda, and no doubt passing along a little of their marketing message disguised as your ideas but contributed by their editorial input -- maybe it would have been better to gain experience by contributing to a collaborative project where the necessary skills are present -- like, say, Wikieducator
-- finally, there are many ways autghors and publishers can earn from the publication of open access work - and you can also earn by offering other services, such as speaking, consulting, mentoring, and other support, which are all supported by your writing

-- Stephen



On 10-10-04 5:27 PM, Joyce.McKnight-5x4XmtjFQAE@public.gmane.org wrote:
Hi Wayne:   I know I am late in inquiring about this, but I am a little confused about how the publisher will gain from offering this book under a free license.  The reason I am asking is that I am under contract to write a comprehensive community organizing textbook for Pearson/Allyn and Bacon a very large US publisher.   My editor has offered me her time and wonderful resources that I could not possibly have had were I doing this project on my own and I don't begrudge them their fair share of any proceeds, but I would like my work to be readily available especially in developing countries, so I am confused about how I might meet my publisher's needs to make a reasonable return on all they have invested in the book and in me as a writer while still being fair to indigent readers.    I hope this question makes sense.   Joyce McKnight SUNY/Empire State College, Member of the OER Foundation.  

-----wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org wrote: -----
To: wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
From: Wayne Mackintosh
Sent by: wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Date: 09/14/2010 01:03AM
Subject: Re: [WikiEducator] An Ethical Dilemma -- Feeling sad :-)- When publishers don't do what they say they intend to do

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the note -- with every mistake (and I believe the publishers have made an honest mistake) there is a learning experience.

Together we can make the world a better place -- and the open web and free content licensing can help. There is a place for everyone in the sun -- even publishers who can earn a living through publishing free content.

The embarrassing point is that my name is now published under a non-commercial license :-(. However -- let's turn an honest mistake into a success for all involved. I have just received an email from the publisher requesting that we connect for a skype conversation later this evening. I will suggest that they drop the NC restriction and release the work under a CC-BY-SA license.

That would be a smart move for them imho --- the "free" advertising resulting from a move like that would push and promote sales.

We'll see what happens.

Cheers
Wayne

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM, gene aronin <geneloeb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Wayne,
This was an exceptional commentary of your dilemma, because it 1)demonstrated what "creative commons" was all about, and 2) demonstrated, through your honesty and forthrightness the importance of this idea. Demonstrate by example. Good for you, Wayne.

Gene


On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM, aprasad <apletters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Dear Dr. Wayne,
 
I can imagine how humiliating the situation to you. Hope the publishers will come out with an erratum.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wayne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Never a dull moment in the free culture world. Ordinarily -- I would not post public notifications around potential misunderstandings or oversights by a publisher. However, I find myself facing an ethical dilemma. Particularly since today I'm been commenting considerably on my personal ethics and views associated with the non-commercial restriction on our national New Zealand MLE list.

I was recently invited to write the forward for a new publication -- a book of tweets on open text books. Great idea, very cool and appropriate for our times. In response to the invite, my very first question was was:

"More than happy to provide a "tweet" -- what license will you be publishing the book under?"

Response:

"We will be doing this under Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license- http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
That is the current plan.  Any interest in co-authoring?"

My response:

"I always check that anything I write is published under a free cultural works approved license :-)  I would love to co-author"

So I do my bit, read the text, write a short forward and contribute a tweet.  I now see that the book has been published under a CC-BY-NC-SA license -- which is very unfortunate, because I think its a great text and it seems that there has been an oversight in attributing my contributions under a license which meets the free cultural works definition which was a condition of my contribution. (See:  http://www.happyabout.com/thinkaha/opentextbooktweet01.php). I've asked the publishes to print and distribute an erratum indicating that my personal contributions are licensed under CC-BY-SA on the basis of our original agreement. I'm confident that they will do the right thing.

When I submitted my tweet, I wrote:

"This is licensed under CC-BY which will enable a derivative under CC-BY-SA."  I did this work during official time, and my employers IP policy requires that I release my work under a default CC-BY license."

If there were any communications from the publisher in the interim about changing the license -- I missed these ;-(. Moreover, for the record, I would not have agreed to having anything I write published under an NC license. 

It's ironic that while the book carries a NC restriction -- the international public can purchase the texts, hard copy or ebook for a listed price of $19.95 or $14,95 and see that currently some discount applies.

Anway -- this is a public announcement that my forward is licensed under a CC-BY-SA license and my tweet - No 31 is openly licensed under a free cultural works approved license (CC-BY) in this case. The publisher was free to add an NC restriction on the tweet - -but has omitted to attribute the source :-(.  For the record, both versions of the texts I submitted are licensed under a CC-BY license. You are free to take these texts, reuse them, adapt them, modify them and if you like sell them :-)

Cheers
Wayne
 









--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Warm regards

Anil --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org @public.gmane.org>
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikieducator-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org


Gmane